Your Garb

I didn't think the term "Hollywood pirate" was a negative thing? I thought it meant you've added a little BANG to your look and made your kit more exciting and fun to look at while still keeping a historical aspect, but not worrying if everything is exactly period.

I don't care what your wearing, if someone says something mean about other people, then they're just a dick, period.

"Without caffine, I'd have no personality at all"

• Replies 383
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hmmm... maybe a "Labels" thread is in order here?

Maybe.....

I always thought that the term "Hollywood" coverd the Pyrates playing..... as in not worried if anything was authentic or not..... but it's fun and looks cool......

The "Authentics" were concerned if what they were wearing was period and approit.......

Sure.... we are all "playing " Pyrate..... none of us realy robs ships on the high seas..... (besides the Coast Guard takes a very dim view of such activitys.....)

But we do "play" Pyrate a bit differently......

Some of us enjoy trying to be as historicaly accurate as we can....

Some, don't worry about the History part... but wanna have fun being flashy and look cool........

I keep arguing...... "differend sides O' th' same coin........."

There are many aspects o' Pyracy that are fun.....

We all pick and choose what part we wanna play.....

As far as labels go.....

I see no problem with being called an "authentic"....... heck... that's what I wanna be !......

I don't see GoF or BlackJohn, or Kass.... an' th' other authentics having a problem with that label...........

But wot's so stinking wrong about "Hollywood Pyrates"?.....

"Non-Authentic"..... dang.... that's not right......

"Popular Cultural (PC)".... well that's been taken.....

"Fun Pyrates"...... nawh..... that don't work because the "Authentics " are having fun playing Pyrate also......

As anyone that has meet me can tell you.... I'm having fun at this..... I play it my way..... if you wanna play it that way...cool... if not... cool...... we are all having fun doing it the way we want..... (well hopefully)

I'm working on becoming a "hard ass-Authentic".......but never a costume nazi........

Pyrates be Pyrates..... how you perceave it.... an wanna Play.... cool.... how I wanna play is also cool.....

But that's one of the really cool things bout us Pyrates....

I have yet to meet a Pyrate costume nazi......

We don't do that crap.....

COOL........

Hmmm... maybe a "Labels" thread is in order here?

Maybe.....

I always thought that the term "Hollywood" coverd the Pyrates playing..... as in not worried if anything was authentic or not..... but it's fun and looks cool......

Some, don't worry about the History part... but wanna have fun being flashy and look cool........

I have yet to meet a Pyrate costume nazi......

We don't do that crap.....

COOL........

i call myself a hollywood pirate and if i had to describe it i couldnt do it any better than that.i do try to incorporate things that resemble history,but i liven it up to where im happy with it.

unfortunately i have heard pirate costume nazis,i just dont know why

Some of my recent up-grades into the GAoP;

pyrate2.jpg

pyrate1.jpg

I had my son take these a few minutes ago before we head out to the Cub Scout meeting/party.

The Pike/Hogspear is a work in progress, as is the 'buss. I am very fond of my Monmouth cap from GoF, and my shortjacket from Kass! The leather is all my work except the shoes. My shirt and breeches are some of my old work too.

Workin' on it!

Bo

Some of my recent up-grades into the GAoP;

I had my son take these a few minutes ago before we head out to the Cub Scout meeting/party.

The Pike/Hogspear is a work in progress, as is the 'buss. I am very fond of my Monmouth cap from GoF, and my shortjacket from Kass! The leather is all my work except the shoes. My shirt and breeches are some of my old work too.

Workin' on it!

Bo

That is some amazing look gear Bo!

Awesome stuff, I especially like the boarding pike, not too many people have one as a part of their impression, great touch!

Michael_banner.jpg

Why, thankee kindly Mr. Bagsley. I still need to install some linguets on the pike, havin' trouble figurin' this out for the way I built it. The next one is going to be completely different in the design, so the linguets will actually be forge welded to the main body. We learn from our mistakes! :rolleyes:

Bo

I thought when people said Hollywood Pirates i thought it meant that they were going for the look of a pirate that was on the big screen.

Well that.... and don't forget Howard Pyle.....

I don't think calling someone a "Hollywood Pyrate" is a bad thing...... heck... it's someone that wants to play Pyrate... and not worry or bother with Historical accuracy.......

I'm an authentic.... I worry 'bout such stuff.....

Am I right..... well yah... for me I am.....

Does anyone else have to play the way I play.....?

See.... that's the fun of it........................

Bo, love the look. The pike looks good.

Whenever I hear "Hollywood Pirate" it sounds like "wannabe" so I kinda take it negatively. It's like street cred, we see it in everything. If your poor or middle-class nouvea-riche sounds pretty cool, unless you come from old money. Rhinestone cowboy (I think that is the right term) someone dressing like a cowboy that hasn't even touched a cow or horse, always seemed kinda laughable. But I still put on my cowboy hat and went dancing. I just rationalized it was part of my culture living in the country, I wasn't trying to say I'm a cowboy. But I had the hat.

I think it's the same way with pirates. I still look at the people at the faire's with purple and black tights, leather vests with a skull and cross bones on the back, leather cavalier hat, pouchs that rival a horde of marsupials, and enough cups hanging from their belts to bail out a small sloop with a big hole with a bit of humor. Can't do that with my wife's outfit though or mine, but stand me next to Patrick or Bo and I start looking like Han Solo with a hat.

I've often wondered how other people deal with this, but I do place myself in hirearchies. At work, with friends, and doing pirate stuff. Well, I'm not as good at whatever than this person, but I'm better at something than this person.

Those are my thoughts when someone who hand sews their outfits from sources that were only created in the GAoP throw out the term "Hollywood Pirate." I don't think many "Hollywood Pirates" use the term unless a historically accurate pirate is involved. It's just being a Pirate.

That's the burden I've got to bear, instead of just worrying about me. I've read the Tao of Pooh, and I'm still working on it.

Pogue

Conceptual Simplicity, Structural Complexity, Achieves a Greater State of humanity.

Thanx guys.. yer made me blush! B)

The Tao of Pooh!?! OK, now THAT is funny! Is there really a book with that title? Not making fun of anyone, just never heard of it!

I know labels offend some folks, and if you couldn't tell, I wear 'em like a work apron. That's part of where the "White Trash" nomenclature comes from. I take a label and throw it back at those who gave it times ten. "When life hands you lemons, make lemonade" kinda thing. Then SELL it back at an inflated price! :lol:

I am a product of this labeling society. I fought it to no avail for a long time until I realized you can't reason with ignorance. I tried to "fit in" and raise myself to a " higher place" on the social ladder, but was never allowed this convenience by those who were the labelers. So, I would become the label and antagonize those who gave it until they left me alone. What have I got to prove to anyone but myself? NADA damn thing!

Most people really don't even think about what they are saying anyway, so for the most part, these labels aren't even intended to be insults in the first place. I have found in recent years that it is usually best to just blow it off anyway.

I know Patrick is the best ambassador for tolerance across the board and he wouldn't intentionally insult anyone unless they had it coming. It's all in how we choose to percieve things in the end.

Now... lets see some more garb!

Bo

Yep, the Tao of Pooh and the Te of Piglet. I haven't read the Te of Piglet though. Loved the Tao of Pooh.

Tao of Pooh

Sounds like this thread needs this. B)

One of the basic principles of Taoism is P'U, the Uncarved Block. The essence of the Uncarved Block is that things in their original simplicity contain their own natural power, power that is easily spoiled and lost when that simplicity is changed. This principle applies not only to things, but to people as well. Or Bears. Which brings us to Pooh, the very Epitome of the Uncarved Block. When you discard arrogance, complexity, and a few, other things that get in the way, sooner or later you will discover that simple, childlike, and mysterious secret known to those of the Uncarved Block: Life is Fun. Along with that comes the ability to do things spontaneously and have them work, odd as that may appear to others at times. As Piglet put it in 'Winnie-the-Pooh', "Pooh hasn't much Brain, but he never comes to any harm. He does silly things and they turn out right."

http://www.just-pooh.com/tao.html; author unknown

Let's get some more pictures...

Conceptual Simplicity, Structural Complexity, Achieves a Greater State of humanity.

appropos said topic: regardless of whatever we choose to wear at any time this much be true:

All the world's a stage,

And all the men and women merely players;

They have their exits and their entrances,

And one man in his time plays many parts,

tho 'is undies be cotton twill,

n 'is sword be plastic or steel.

Lao Tzu, the Tao says: "We desire to understand the world by giving names to the things we see,

but these things are only the effects of something subtle.

When we see beyond the desire to use names,

we can sense the nameless cause of these effects."

:lol::huh::huh:

Labels are never endearing. Aye, but it's out there.

:::shrugs::: The labeling does bother.

Aye, Bo. Ya do look good. I'm gazing mostly at that pike! :huh: :::Hands are reaching out to grab it from ya and take off with it:::

What can I say... I like weapons!

One makes an effort into whatever look they want to portray... one should offer fair if not positive comments upon their appearance.

~Lady B

:lol:

Tempt Fate! an' toss 't all t' Hell!"

"I'm completely innocent of whatever crime I've committed."

The one, the only,... the infamous!

My new vest and socks...

DSC01187.jpg

DSC01180.jpg

Casket Chris and myself...

DSC01183.jpg

These pics were from our local museum. We have a Pyrate camp for our Safe Halloween. This year we had 12,000 people go through our camp in two days, there were 16 of us and what a rush...I'll post pics up of our camp soon!

Kenneth,

Awesome pics of you and Chris. The vest looks great. I'd love to see some more pics of the vest in color, not hidden by pistols :o What pattern and kind of fabric did you use? Are those the same shoes you showed in your office thread? They look a bit different. Are they historical or another Kenneth special comfy shoe :)

Pogue

Spectacular, Kenneth! Likewise with Chris! Both ye gents look splendid. Charminglu devilish... and ready t' plunder!

My compliments to ye both.

~Lady B

:o

Tempt Fate! an' toss 't all t' Hell!"

"I'm completely innocent of whatever crime I've committed."

The one, the only,... the infamous!

Wow you look great!..very authentic..excellent job! Huzzah :ph34r:

Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help....

Her reputation was her livelihood.

I'm a pirate, love. By nature and by choice!

My inner voice sometimes has an accent!

My wont? A delicious rip in time...

Capt' Bo,

Excellent! looks grande indeed!

Kenneth,

Same goes fer you as well!

Yer giving me a kick in the pants, wanting to upgrade a bit more.

A side note, I've had a halfpike for years, not quite right, but it works. I recently painted it black (Japanning) to make it look a bit better. Will get pics soon as I can.

Truly,

D. Lasseter

Captain, The Lucy

Propria Virtute Audax --- In Hoc Signo Vinces

LasseterSignatureNew.gif

Ni Feidir An Dubh A Chur Ina Bhan Air

"If I whet my glittering sword, and mine hand take hold on judgment; I will render vengeance to mine enemies, and will reward them that hate me." Deuteronomy 32:41

Envy and its evil twin - It crept in bed with slander - Idiots they gave advice - But Sloth it gave no answer - Anger kills the human soul - With butter tales of Lust - While Pavlov's Dogs keep chewin' - On the legs they never trust... The Seven Deadly Sins

http://www.colonialnavy.org

Hey this thread brings up a question..

I doubt it but is there a proper or maybe a better way to put it, a common length for slops? The two of you side by side shows different lengths. Just curious. What is on your left wrist?

The ruffled cravat is a nice touch.

Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help....

Her reputation was her livelihood.

I'm a pirate, love. By nature and by choice!

My inner voice sometimes has an accent!

My wont? A delicious rip in time...

Great job Kenneth and Chris. Makes me look at my stuff and see lots of room for improvement.

5024514353_8b387a806a_m.jpg

Jonathan Washbourne

"Jonathan Washbourne Junr of Bridgwater appeared in court and was ordered to pay £5 fees and charges or be publicly whipped 20

stripes for his abusive and uncivil behaviour to Elizabeth Canaday Late of said Bridgwater by Thrusting up or putting of a skunk

under the Cloaths to her Naked Body And then saying he had Done the office of a midwife." (from The Plymouth Journal, July 1701)

Thanks everyone for the compliments!

Captain Pogue,

The vest I made from a striped silk/Wool suiting material (don't know the proper term) the stripes are about and inch and a half wide. If I see material I like, I'll just buy it. As long as it's heavy and thick, I'll know i'll enjoy working with it....And my shoes? Yup those are the Hushpuppies gone pirate!

Red Cat Jenny,

I'm not sure on slop lengths..Chris researched so I'm sure his would be maybe more correct (any experts out there?) I made my slops with long pant legs and them cut them off, stiched the edged so they would look pretty, sanded em and them squirted em with coffee in a spray bottle. I like them longer myself.. My wrist.....I think it's my cuff..but underneath the cuff I'm wearing a Rolex, can you see it? Chris tells me it's not period..... it is a submariner! How much more sea worthy can a time piece be? :ph34r: