Your Garb

Here is a picture of me in a new outfit.... It is mostly historical stuff, although there are a few comprimises (like the bucket boots).

l_ab79eee6e333754e65c1f828e65916c5.jpg

Most of this outfit is machine sewn as I was trying to rush to get it done, although the pants and shirt are both hand sewn (despite the fact they are barely visible in this photo).

Edit - I changed the photo, as the other photo better shows off the hand made sword belt that I made, as well as other elements in the outfit are better shown.

Dude! That rocks! Nice job!

My Home on the Web

The Pirate Brethren Gallery

Dreams are the glue that holds reality together.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 383
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Don't mean to double post here... but FINALLY got this one finished. My new waistcoat...

IMG_1661.jpg

...with french seams to be reversable.

IMG_1665.jpg

Tis a bit more on the Hollywood/Fictional/Legend side rather than purely historically authentic, but that's ok. I'll eventually make a historically authentic one... someday.

One down, several more to go! <_<

~Lady B

;)

Tempt Fate! an' toss 't all t' Hell!"

"I'm completely innocent of whatever crime I've committed."

The one, the only,... the infamous!

Don't mean to double post here... but FINALLY got this one finished. My new waistcoat...

<Image snipped>

...with french seams to be reversable.

<Image snipped>

Tis a bit more on the Hollywood/Fictional/Legend side rather than purely historically authentic, but that's ok. I'll eventually make a historically authentic one... someday.

One down, several more to go! <_<

~Lady B

;)

Historical or not, I love the look of that red and gold brocade(ish?) fabric. It's a gorgeous pattern.

That's a great looking vest/waistcoat. I'd be proud to wear something like that around a festival. I'm kind of a bit jealous just thinking about it. ;)

Very well done Lady B!

Michael_banner.jpg

Thank ye, Michael. :::blushes innocently:::

The waistcoat 'll compliment a crimson velvet frock coat I'm making, too.

~Lady B

<_<

Very sharp dear Anna!

There's something about a girl who not only wears a choker, but also woodland ears! <_<

I also love seeing more red being worn! Though I'm sure most are reluctant because of the military image.... Still, I'm glad to see it being worn with personal style!!

JMHO!

sig2.jpg

No rest for the wicked! Wait a minute... that's me?!

I also love seeing more red being worn!

But...but..... blue and grey are cheaper........ :lol:

Give ya all three guesses why I wear those colors.......... :lol:

:lol::lol:

Gee, Patrick... I wonder... ;)

Thanks, Cheeky.

I'll have the full outfit ready for Port Washington next year. MAYBE I'll have it ready for a Winter Invasion. ;)

Aye, Rats. I was going for a more blood color with black, evil type of pirate look.

LOVE the coat, Hilde. :)

~Lady B

:lol:

Thanks Lady B :)

I love it so much that I want one for every season haha :)

That one is quite heavy and warm, but I want one for winter when it's _really_ warm :)

I've got this linen one for warmer weather

769875139_ec664d246a.jpg

And I'm in the process of making myself a very light cotton one. You know, just in case we ever have a summer again in Western Europe <_<

In any case, can't have too many coats, I'm sure my wardrobe will be plundered on talk like a pirate day soon :blink:

Here is a light wool coat we started putting together today, kind of "a la Capt Morgan". Not historically correct and doesn't match the rest of my kit but I thought it would be nice to have a warmer piece just in case. Probably wont get much use for it here in Florida anyway.

1341359170_fdc563d521_m.jpg

5024514353_8b387a806a_m.jpg

Jonathan Washbourne

"Jonathan Washbourne Junr of Bridgwater appeared in court and was ordered to pay £5 fees and charges or be publicly whipped 20

stripes for his abusive and uncivil behaviour to Elizabeth Canaday Late of said Bridgwater by Thrusting up or putting of a skunk

under the Cloaths to her Naked Body And then saying he had Done the office of a midwife." (from The Plymouth Journal, July 1701)

• 4 weeks later...

Okay, here is a picture of me in my newest set of garb....

From bottom to top.

Still no proper shoes.... :lol:

A pair of Linsey-Woolsey knee socks from Hamilton Dry Goods

A pair of knee breeches made using RH706 (RH=Reconstructing History) and based heavily on the Royal Navy Slop Contract specs.

Strip’d Ticken Breeches of proper lengthes, lined with white linen, and two linen Pockets, with Sixteen Black Buttons, the Button Holes stich’d with Black Thread, at the rate of five Shillings each

A shirt made using the RH 713

A grey worsted wool short waistcoat made using the RH704 pattern.

A Leather sword belt based somewhat on Patrick Hands work, and partly on an image from "Swords and Blades of the American Revolution".

Everything is completely hand sewn by me with the exception of the socks and the hat...

1473027871_c9164c2e7d.jpg

Michael_banner.jpg

Nicely done!

"I being shot through the left cheek, the bullet striking away great part of my upper jaw, and several teeth which dropt down the deck where I fell... I was forced to write what I would say to prevent the loss of blood, and because of the pain I suffered by speaking."~ Woodes Rogers

Crewe of the Archangel

http://jcsterlingcptarchang.wix.com/creweofthearchangel#

http://creweofthearchangel.wordpress.com/

I agree with Sterling!

I'm highly impressed! Very fine attire ye have, Mr. Bagley.

~Lady B

:lol:

Mike Bageley

WOW!

Man that looks great!

One think that is hard to "capture" is the close fitting-ness of period clothes, especially Justaucorps. Short jackets seem to be a mix of close fitting and baggy.

I really like the look you got with yours... I had trouble with the arms with mine (I used my own pattern), but I think that you got it spot on.

Zeph Nash had a great idea of "converting" modern shoes to more of a latchet style as an interim until correct shoes could be bought and that might serve you in the short term as well.

The last thing i'd say is find a neckerchief....

Well almost the last thing. Please get outside and take another picture. I'd love to use it on my website!

GoF

Come aboard my pirate re-enacting site

http://www.gentlemenoffortune.com/

Where you will find lots of information on building your authentic Pirate Impression!

Thanks for the compliments Sterling, GoF, and Lady B!

I have already started working on a neckerchief to finish the outfit, and hope to be done that either tonight or tomorrow... Make that tomorrow, tonight is my lady's B-Day, so I should be busy with that.... :ph34r:

Ya know GoF, I was going to have that photo taken outside in the back yard in front of the pond, Jessica (the better half) even offered and suggested it, but I was feeling too lazy... Maybe when I finish the neckerchief I will get it all together and have the picture taken outside.

I have been watching Zeph Nash's thread for the converting modern shoes, and I have an older pair of dress shoes that have pretty much had their day that I could probably convert.... Maybe I will give that a go as well...

Michael_banner.jpg

Everytime I wear this outfit, I constantly get people stopping me, (even riding my scooter with Dead Fred) for my picture.

**Note: The black you see on the bodice is black leather. It's the best one I've ever made and has held up for years.

The hat was bought at a thrift store for 5 dollars (it has a Nordstrom label in it) and decorated it myself.

The skirt is a black table cloth and the burgandy bottom is part of a bed ruffle, all from the thrift store.

RumbaRue3.jpg

Okay, here is another picture of my new set of garb...

I've added the final touch of a linen neckerchief (nice brick red one at that), and had the picture taken outside in a slightly more natural background than in front of my entertainment stand. The shoes are just modern leather dress shoes... They are the ones I am contemplating cutting into periodish shoes.

1485671173_b898b394c4.jpg

Some more pics of the same thing in my Flickr site.

Michael_banner.jpg

Michael, you're amazing. It's great to see a departure from the all-to displayed wide and frayed slops!

I'd try and find some cheap thrift store shoes to mod first, just to get the right feel of what you want to do.

I've got the heart of a pirate, just not the garb...