Your Garb

Well lets see a pic then Petee!

The whole point of this thread is to share pics of your garb, authentic and/or artistic/theatric, or any combination thereof.

By the way OL Jack, nice pics, love the one with the birds, gorgeous parrots! (Or are they macaws? I never could tell the difference).

Michael_banner.jpg

• Replies 383
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well met all! Period to "Some artistic license" you've displayed the creativity and enthusiasm not to mention hard work that makes this all worthwhile! Slainte! :lol:

Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help....

Her reputation was her livelihood.

I'm a pirate, love. By nature and by choice!

My inner voice sometimes has an accent!

My wont? A delicious rip in time...

Well lets see a pic then Petee!

The whole point of this thread is to share pics of your garb, authentic and/or artistic/theatric, or any combination thereof.

Well actually I thought this thread was about whether or not your kit, I hate the word garb, was leaning towards authentic or hollywood, then I read it was just to discuss how it was made. So my bad, there is a thread in rable rousing called " YOU IN Your Garb" to post pics. I'm sure there is plenty of pics of me floating around. Also in Raids the OJAI thread carter posted a link to some pics where you can find resent pics of my kit, sans the frock, it was just too hot.

Cheers :lol:

Oh, I'm the tall one with the beard.

Petee-2.jpg

rumba i so admire the way you make and acquire your garb . its so much more admirable than people who pay hundreds to buy the "good" stuff.

I'm not sure what you mean by that. My own kit is something like a 40%/60% bought-to-made ratio, but I have friends who simply prefer to purchase, whether it's due to their schedule or some other reason. It's not because they are going for 'the good stuff' (what does that even mean?), and it really isn't more or less 'admirable' - it's just the way it is for them. It certainly doesn't diminish their love of pirate culture in my eyes.

"The time was when ships passing one another at sea backed their topsails and had a 'gam,' and on parting fired guns; but those good old days have gone. People have hardly time nowadays to speak even on the broad ocean, where news is news, and as for a salute of guns, they cannot afford the powder. There are no poetry-enshrined freighters on the sea now; it is a prosy life when we have no time to bid one another good morning."

- Capt. Joshua Slocum

Whatever. Show off! Your not my friend anymore. Just teasing. Nah, yer not my friend anymore. Wait. What? Mr Hand sewer...I don't care what anyone says, Pirates had sewing machines! ..Chris. :rolleyes::huh::huh:

"Without caffine, I'd have no personality at all"

I've got my new pants coming soon and I'm starting to think about a waistcoat. I'm hoping I can get some input on a RH waistcoat pattern, fabric, and maybe some colors. I pretty much have the basics; pants, shirt, cravat. I'm including my outfit as of May this year since I don't have any more recent pics, just the little stuff has changed anyway. I appreciate any advice.

(still pantless but not for much longer) Pogue

519868527_616fa8ed88.jpg

Conceptual Simplicity, Structural Complexity, Achieves a Greater State of humanity.

Very nice, gents. As always.

Always intregued why most go with some sort of cookie cutter European/Colonial pirate look.

Did anyone's pirate persona sail around to different areas of the world? Or not?

Just never see a Pirate from Madagascar or Asia (Indian, chinese, etc).. or a pirate in a kilt or a Russian pirate... or an Islander pirate (like Quyquag)... etc.

I like the Smuggler pirate/buccaneer look that Bastian goes with.

I also thought this was more a discussion on Authentic historical or Hollywood.

But, I think at the moment, that's kinda an oxymoron question considering that some new pirate hollywood films have been going with a more historical look. The ones who are NOT all that historical are the lower budget ones I think (I can think of a couple right now that are cheesy). But, can you REALLY complain about PotC, Peter Pan, Cutthroat Island, Treasure Island, etc. They are not 100% authentic, but they are pretty close. Remember, they have the professionals working on those outfits making them, doing the research and have the connections to get the fabric as needed.

Again, I personally like the mix of both: the historical look (but doesn't have to be 100%) with the added mythical and pirate lore.

~Lady B

:ph34r:

Tempt Fate! an' toss 't all t' Hell!"

"I'm completely innocent of whatever crime I've committed."

The one, the only,... the infamous!

Always intregued why most go with some sort of cookie cutter European/Colonial pirate look.

Did anyone's pirate persona sail around to different areas of the world? Or not?

Just never see a Pirate from Madagascar or Asia (Indian, chinese, etc).. or a pirate in a kilt or a Russian pirate... or an Islander pirate (like Quyquag)... etc.

Andria is half Thai, half Norwegian, so she attended Pirates in Paradise in a traditional Thai attire. The clothing hasn't changed much in 400 years. Everything she wore was handmade of hemp, linen or spun silk imported from Thailand. Her relatives living in Thailand still send her hand woven silk. Strangely enough, I can't remember anyone commenting on her outfits at all.

0ad05c19.jpg

fbc29e14.jpg

392c25ca.jpg

b8ab751a.jpg

b45b85de.jpg

image.jpeg.6e5f24495b9d06c08a6a4e051c2bcc99.jpeg

Lady B

I hope this doesn't open a can of worms or anything, but true to form, ya know I had to comment.

Always intrigued why most go with some sort of cookie cutter European/Colonial pirate look.

First, the number of folks who are striving for European/Colonial Pirate look are by far in the smallest of minorities in the Pirating community. Cmon' you know its true.

It doesn't take long to figure this out just by looking at pictures from events... Ojai, Gasperilla, Pirate Con, or "fill-in-the-blank" ren faire... I am betting there are more pirate belly dancers at these events than those portraying, colonial pirates.

What skews their numbers though is that a lot of them post in Plunder or in Twill so it seems like they are overrepresented.

But lets take a look at some of your questions/statements and look at them objectively.

1)Q: Did anyone's pirate persona sail around to different areas of the world? Or not?

A: Sailors most certainly did travel far and wide. No question. We know that the Dutch and English (East India Companies) were trading around the world at this time so this is a no brainer.

2) Statement:Just never see a Pirate from Madagascar or Asia (Indian, Chinese, etc)..

Reply:

I think that is because most people portraying pirates are portraying the Golden Age of Piracy that took place in the Caribbean/Atlantic Seaboard. This kind of morphs from the French being the main piracy element in the bulk of the 17th century, to the English taking over in the GAoP. The French were predominantly preying on Spanish Treasure fleets, and the English on merchant shipping going to and from the colonies.

Most of these English pirates were merchant navy or regular navy guys out of work due to the various peace treaties in effect between Spain -France -England (which seem to be on again off again affairs) but when a country is a peace, they constrict their military forces... including the Navy. So out of work sailors during this time in history generally equates to an increase in piracy.

I am not sure when the Golden Age of Piracy in Asia is considered, but I have read no accounts as of yet, of any Asian pirates operating in the Caribbean during the 1680-1720 time frame.

3) Continued statement: "or a pirate in a kilt or a Russian pirate... or an Islander pirate (like Quyquag)... etc."

Reply:

My theory is that being a sailor is a job. That has specific duties and skills related to it. The sailor clothing of the time reflects this, which is why we see them depicted in this specific clothing over and over again. Short Jacket, Trousers and shoes. From the depictions at the end of the GAoP in Johnsons' work to the frontispiece and images in Exquemelin 1686 work, we see pirates and sailors wearing similar clothing.

So, a kilt might not be the best item to wear for working a ship. The modern idea of what a kilt is, isn't really "invented" till the end of the GAoP, and I would imagine that it would not be the best item to wear while working with pitch and tar.

And no sailor wants to gaze up aloft and see someones mainmast... ewwwww!

The petticoat breeches though are similar in that they are a wide pleated skirt like affair, but again, they are coming out of fashion by the beginning of the GAoP.

Russian Pirate?

Funny you should mention that. Here is a picture of a Russian sailors outfit from right around 1700 (which places it smack dab in the GAoP)

bk-ptg-navy.jpg

Hmmmm.... seem familiar? Why its a short jacket with breeches!

Peter the Great of Russia Spent a lot of time in England and Holland studying their Navies, shipyard, and shipbuilding. When he gets back to Russia, guess what he does? He uses that as a blueprint for his own navy.

I guess for me, the bottom line is figuring out why a sailor would adopt certain aspects of dress. I have not been all over the world, but I do live in Europe and have visited many of the countries here as well as some in the Americas.

When I went to Mexico, I bought a Sombrero. I have suffered through hundreds of sunny 95+ degree days between the time I bought it and today. And you know how many times I have worn it in the last 12 years? Once, on Halloween.

I live in Bavaria and "own" a set of Trachten...

Trachtenlederhose_Lukas_torfantik_n_Stockerpoint.jpg

When I visit my folks in Virginia, do they catch me coming off the plane in that outfit?

Hell no.

And we live in an era where almost anything goes.

I would imagine it was the same thing during the GAoP. Yes, you might have worked on a trade ship to India in 1711, but does that mean you go "native" and from that point on are up in the rigging with your robes and turban... in an English Port?

DEL%20Delhi%20-%20Gurdwara%20Bangla%20Sahib%20Sikh%20temple%20portrait%20with%20colourful%20turban%2002%203008x2000.jpg

While this is a little tongue and cheek, I am not trying to offend. For those who want to look like your average English sailor circa 1715, there are certain things that go with that look. Deviating from the look gets a little harder to explain. Especially given the body of evidence we have from the period (pictures, wills, probate sales, and recovered artifacts).

GoF

Come aboard my pirate re-enacting site

http://www.gentlemenoffortune.com/

Where you will find lots of information on building your authentic Pirate Impression!

Lady Barbosa,

I've thought about going the route of world traveller pirate or pirate but from asia. Everything I come up with looks like a pirate with a katana, which is Patrick Hand's gig, or a big blonde guy dressed like a japanese person. The last one always seems a bit odd and difficult to explain...

I'm slowly trying to breakout out of the typical pirate look with some of my accessories, like my 1717 tactical holster. It's not really visible in the pic, it's the big thing strapped to my right leg.

I'd have to agree with you, adding some fantasy is great. We're dressing up like people in a past era not hinered by their level of technology and blessed with centuries more experience. Why shouldn't we bring some of that into it. I've never been keen on dressing up like a common sailor. I've worked too hard in my life to stand out and get ahead to be common in my dress up :D Just don't want to look like a peacock, blasted birds...

Still hoping for some more input on the waistcoat. I want to go with an RH pattern that seems to fit the time period of my look. Not sure if I'm early or late... Also, any color suggestions to go with black pants.

Thanks for the suggestion Mr Snail Grave, I definitely want to go with a longer waistcoat. Yours is coming along nicely, I like how you've got your hat better in that last picture.

Just on a garb sidenote. I love breeches, can't stand slops. Maybe it's my body shape. Anyone else feel the same way. Breeches over slops, accuracy be damned! :lol:

Conceptual Simplicity, Structural Complexity, Achieves a Greater State of humanity.

I don't know... I've found out that linen slops can be SOOOO comfortable on a 100 degree day...

"The time was when ships passing one another at sea backed their topsails and had a 'gam,' and on parting fired guns; but those good old days have gone. People have hardly time nowadays to speak even on the broad ocean, where news is news, and as for a salute of guns, they cannot afford the powder. There are no poetry-enshrined freighters on the sea now; it is a prosy life when we have no time to bid one another good morning."

- Capt. Joshua Slocum