Your Garb

Being a pirate belly dancer and all....

I'm actually working on a period appropriate Turkish (well Ottoman I suppose) costume. I was discussing several months ago how I've no real interest in dressing GaoP correctly as a woman and making me look like a man is bit difficult. So I started investigating other regional options. If any one as any suggestions about this style of costuming I'm open...

• Replies 383
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well Pogue, I'm with you on the breeches over slops/trousers thing.... I will eventually make myself a pair of slops/trousers, but for the moment, I have two pairs of breeches, and feel more comfortable and feel I look better in them than I probably would in slop/trousers.

And wearing breeches is not inaccurate (in my opinion), I am thinking it would be very safe to assume that sailors wore both, why else would most, if not every iteration of the Royal Navy Slop Contracts contain both breeches and slops/trousers if sailor's did not wear both? I think the slops/trousers just appear a more in period artwork, which MIGHT indicate a preference for sailors to wear the slops/trousers instead of breeches, but I certainly do not think that means that all sailors did.

And Duchess, I would love to see Barbary Corsairs (middle eastern and northern african pirates)! In fact I had a conversation with someone earlier this summer, I even told them if I had time to do the research and make a set of clothing, I would do a barbary corsair outfit for next summer. If you come across any good references, please share, and I will do likewise.

Michael_banner.jpg

Well, i'll have to make a pair of breeches, too. I was going to say that I thought slops were easier to make, but I've never made them yet, so i don't know if that's true or not.

also, duchess, i think that pictures might better help us visualize your dilemma. :lol:

"The time was when ships passing one another at sea backed their topsails and had a 'gam,' and on parting fired guns; but those good old days have gone. People have hardly time nowadays to speak even on the broad ocean, where news is news, and as for a salute of guns, they cannot afford the powder. There are no poetry-enshrined freighters on the sea now; it is a prosy life when we have no time to bid one another good morning."

- Capt. Joshua Slocum

Bloody Jack Madd, I think your right in the assumption that making breeches would be harder to make than slops... There would be a hell of a lot less buttonholes involved in making slops, 'cause to be honest, buttonholes are the things that take me the longest amount of time and the most work.

Also as a starting place for Barbary Corsairs

The Wikipedia entry for Barbay Corsairs

It seems the Barbary Corsairs had three "hey-days", the first was in the early to mid 1500s (under the Barbarossa brothers), the second was in the early 1600s, with a last resurgence in the late 1700's to early 1800s. So there are three primary time frames to work with, and probably others to choose from as well.

Michael_banner.jpg

I have yet to work on a sailing vessel (Soon I will be working and learning on the Kalmar Nyckel) so I have no reference point. I would think with all that up and down and belaying pins and things sticking out here and there slops would get caught on things. Is there any evidence of slops that had a button to pull a "flap" over and make them less open when climbing the rigging?

I also thought this was more a discussion on Authentic historical or Hollywood.

I always thought this thread was to show off your garb... Hollywood or Authentic....

Always intregued why most go with some sort of cookie cutter European/Colonial pirate look.

Did anyone's pirate persona sail around to different areas of the world? Or not?

Just never see a Pirate from Madagascar or Asia (Indian, chinese, etc).. or a pirate in a kilt or a Russian pirate... or an Islander pirate (like Quyquag)... etc.

Ok... I'm working on portraying a historicaly accurate common Sailor/Pyrate from the Golden Age (Specificly 1720)... So for me to carry an "authentic stainless steal Ninja Katana" would be wrong...

I don't look Asian, so that would'nt work (and I've never seen a reference to any Asain or Russian Pyrates from then period or place that I am reenacting...)

And the Pyrates that have sailed to Madagasgar, were still wearing the same thing....

I really do like bright red sashes (ala Howard Pyle)... Unfortunatly, they are no longer period for what I am doing, so I don't wear one....

So I am approaching this from a Historical perspective.....

But If someone is portraying a Hollywood Pyrate, then anything goes.....

sashes...turbans and even "authentic stainless steal Ninja Katanas"... :lol:

It's cool that there is a growing number of Authentic Pyrates, and they have been posting pictures of thier garb.......

But Authentic or Hollywood.... we all are doing this for fun.....

It's NOT the Authentics Vs. the Hollywood Pyrates... we are not fighting each other.....

Well, i'll have to make a pair of breeches, too. I was going to say that I thought slops were easier to make, but I've never made them yet, so i don't know if that's true or not.

Breeches vs. Slops ~ They are Essentially the Same Thing, breeches having a narrower leg and a few more buttonholes at the knees.

Breeches = More work? Perhaps a little. But you don't have to have buttonhole closures. Breeches were also tied at the knee with a bit of ribbon.

MDtrademarkFinal-1.jpg

Oooh, shiny!

Soon I will be working and learning on the Kalmar Nyckel

Wow, I used to work with a guy who ended up going to the Kalmar Nyckel. David Hyatt was his name - neat guy and capable of just about the best Monty Python impressions you'd ever hear. Last I'd heard he died some time ago.

Ropework_Header.jpg

Wow, I used to work with a guy who ended up going to the Kalmar Nyckel. David Hyatt was his name - neat guy and capable of just about the best Monty Python impressions you'd ever hear. Last I'd heard he died some time ago.
I will be aboard as a volunteer so I do not know how much I will end up doing but I wish to leard about rigging, sails etc. so it seems the best way for me I have always done better learning "hands on".

sashes...turbans and even "authentic stainless steal Ninja Katanas"... :D

Dude, I so want to hang out with you.

"The time was when ships passing one another at sea backed their topsails and had a 'gam,' and on parting fired guns; but those good old days have gone. People have hardly time nowadays to speak even on the broad ocean, where news is news, and as for a salute of guns, they cannot afford the powder. There are no poetry-enshrined freighters on the sea now; it is a prosy life when we have no time to bid one another good morning."

- Capt. Joshua Slocum

sashes...turbans and even "authentic stainless steal Ninja Katanas"...  :blink:

Dude, I so want to hang out with you.
Patrick is a wonderful person to "hang out with" a wealth of knowledge and a whit ...after his morning coffee. But don't let him have the rhum ...you shall never get it back! lol

Come to think of it the I believe he is the answer to the question "Why is all the rhum gone." :lol:

He was an awesome guy, an inspirational captain, a much missed friend. We did an event with them just a month or two before he passed away. I remember at one point while walking on the pier he did a bit of a halting stumble sort of thing, and I wondered if he was ok. But then he seemed fine. He invited me to join the crew for drinking and singing on the ship after the event. I talked to him for awhile that evening... and then next thing I knew I he was gone.

:lol:

I'll always remember him as this...

http://www.piratebrethren.com/howard_pyle03.html

The Pirate Captain!

My Home on the Web

The Pirate Brethren Gallery

Dreams are the glue that holds reality together.

Mighty awesome vessel, Blackjohn! I'm droolling! I WANT!

:::Whimpers::: B)

Sad loss.

Eehh... I see your point, Patrick... ::: looks at the sword; then attempts to smile innocently:::

But.... even authentically?

~Lady B

B)

Tempt Fate! an' toss 't all t' Hell!"

"I'm completely innocent of whatever crime I've committed."

The one, the only,... the infamous!

I realized recently that I have 3 consecutive centuries of clothing currently, covering 120 years and four distinct "era's". Not bad for a year :lol:

The interesting thing, at least what *I* find interesting, is the pieces that work for multiple time periods. I'm always in the same stockings and petticoats. The black wool cloak is universal as are the neckerchiefs. My poor shift gets worn whether it's 1690, 1750 or 1812 & it's starting to look like it's been worn for 100 years too :lol:

Do others have "multi-period" clothes or do you prefer to have dedicated garments for each era?

"If part of the goods be plundered by a pirate the proprietor or shipmaster is not entitled to any contribution." An introduction to merchandize, Robert Hamilton, 1777

Slightly Obsessed, an 18th Century reenacting blog

Do others have "multi-period" clothes or do you prefer to have dedicated garments for each era?

Interesting thought.....

But even something like a man's shirt, even though it dosen't change much, it still changed.....

I could wear my linen Pyrate shirt to a Rendezvous, but I have a shirt closer to that period....the neck hole is cut slightly different, and it has a false yoke.... I could wear that shirt to an American Civil War event.... but I have another shirt without the false yoke, but with a pocket......

All three shirts are very simular... the differences are so minor that most people wouldn't even notice them...... But I'd know..... :lol:

I realized recently that I have 3 consecutive centuries of clothing currently, covering 120 years and four distinct "era's". Not bad for a year :ph34r:

Pretty cool, Chloe. :)

I am pretty much with the late 18th in the Rev War era. I've not had the time to really expand historically beyond that. I'd LOVE to do the Seven Year's War timeperiod and more of the various decades of the Agrarian Age. But... in due time.

All I know is that my clothing changes the more I do research! :ph34r:

~Lady B

:ph34r:

Tempt Fate! an' toss 't all t' Hell!"

"I'm completely innocent of whatever crime I've committed."

The one, the only,... the infamous!