Port Washington Pirate Festival 2007

Capt.Trade.Wind

Ok, I know I been gone fer some tyme, but I be back fer a bit now. I just posted me pictures from this festival this past weekend. Just be followin me link i'fn ya be interested in seein em.

http://www.sirclisto.com/51main.html

Jonathan hawks

Thanks for sharing those pictures Jonathan, I enjoyed looking at them :)

• Replies 355
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Good times, good times. I had more fun this year than last, I think. I had more friends, recognized people from last year, had a better kit, for what it's worth, and I actually really enjoyed the rain, even though I'm going to have to re-shape my hat. It added an air of authenticity, in a small way.

"The time was when ships passing one another at sea backed their topsails and had a 'gam,' and on parting fired guns; but those good old days have gone. People have hardly time nowadays to speak even on the broad ocean, where news is news, and as for a salute of guns, they cannot afford the powder. There are no poetry-enshrined freighters on the sea now; it is a prosy life when we have no time to bid one another good morning."

- Capt. Joshua Slocum

It was a wonderful time, rain included. My brother and I enjoyed ourselves immensely. I'll post some pictures when I get a chance.

And to all those from the pub that I met, it was a great pleasure.

From fireworks on Saturday to tornados on Sunday, I'll just say I had the very best of birthdays surrounded by a host of friends and family, both old and new!!

sig2.jpg

No rest for the wicked! Wait a minute... that's me?!

There was so much else I wanted to do and the time just raced by too fast.

Dean - my thoughts EXACTLY! It was almost like it was over before it began (kinda like the tornado :lol: ) I had a wonderful time, but I wish I could have had time to see more -- more people, more musical acts, more vendor booths, more local pubs... Two and 1/2 days in beautiful Port Washington once a year is not enough. So today I'm going though withdrawal. :D

But a big thanks to you and everyone on the Festival committee -- you have a real gem of an event!

:lol:

Aye, Rats! An' glad t' make it one of yer best!

Th' "I'm a Pirate Princess" bit was fantastic! Again... Happy Birthday to ye, mate!

Aye, Red Bess... seems like 2 days is just not enough any more! :D

But, the Port Pirate Fest is absolutely incredibly grand!

So much to do... not enough time to do it in. Aye... the weather didn't help any whatsoever. But... it is the weather. We work around what we have.

OY! T'was great to see some old faces - Sterling, Cheeky, Chloe, Madd D'Ogge, Mr. March, Aurore, Red Bess, Sea Rover, Long Shot, Pete Straw and many many others including the former Julius Caesar from Reenactor Fest who is now Governor of Tortuga I believe! Oooo...

And of course was spectacular to see new faces I've only spoken to via the Pub - Duchess, False Ransom, Crowsnet Kate... and others.

To the member of the Pub... can't recall his name (Aurore/Sebastian.. help me out!) who bought a drink. I owe ye, mate! :D Pete makes great grog, too! MerryD's Pirate Initiation Drink is a MUST HAVE! Rakhshanda had some splendid French white wine.... Oooo... aye, t'was very good. And... of course to the locals who kept us well drenched with various drinks. This pirate GREATLY appreciated it!

What a thrill it was to be seein' everyone!

Aye, the Tornado added a different twist and spice to the events already. Pete and I were in the basement of the deli entertaining those who took cover, singing with the kids, playing games and helping a poor gal who was afraid of the dark when the lights went out. The pirates stepped up the plate on this one with the tornado warning helping to get people under cover.

The fog was erie... I was waiting for a ghost ship to sail in! Aye, I took advantage of it, too. Stating it was Ghost Ship weather. Hehehe, people loved that.

The crew of the Windy 2 were absolutely fantastic! A grand crew they were! Could never have had a better voyage! Got some pics of Sea Rover an' I hoistin' up/settin' th' main sail! Did it like naturals we did!

I have to add.. that the Blackbeard BBQ.... FANTASTIC! I pray they return next year! GREAT food, mates! Give 'em yer doubloons next year for a treat of Black Rat (steak) on a stick or White Rat (chicken) on a stick and more! Decent price for what you get.

Whoever did the tavern/captain's cabin set up with that table, chairs, backdrop, cannonballs, barrels, etc.... FANTASTIC! That most DEFINITELY needs to return next year!

Thieves Market was indeed larger than last year and better! I pray they return next year and more vendors come, too! It was great having a large variety of piraty stuff to purchase.

Oh, Pete!!! And yer shark!!! :D We look forward to you an' yer pet shark again next year.

Parade was much better this time! No so fast... and well strung out.! Huzzah!

2007 Pirate Fest was a smashing success!!! HUZZAH!!!

Hopefully this'll convince many more of ye to come to Port Washington in 2008!!!

~Lady B

:D

Tempt Fate! an' toss 't all t' Hell!"

"I'm completely innocent of whatever crime I've committed."

The one, the only,... the infamous!

A great time indeed. I have no voice -- I think that's proof that the weekend was a party.

Happy birthday again Rats -- and to ye also, Mad Dog.

Regards and a tip of the hat (with a very wilted feather) to all who made the trip. It was great seeing all of you.

Even the tornado was thrilling. Stuck in a basement with 50+ nervous people, LadyB and I had to put on a show -- we had no choice. So many parents pulled me aside later and told me that I was a lifesaver in helping their freaked-out kids make it through the stressful ordeal. That alone made the weekend for me. A couple of ladies who were driving away, honked their horn at me, pulled over their car, and jumped out to take their picture with me to commemorate being stuck in the basement with me. Hmm.

I have some pictures, but have not even had time to review them. I took far less than last year because I didn't take time to stop and be a spectator. I sure would like to get copies of any photos that anyone has of me -- you can email them to me.

Again -- wonderful seeing you all. Hope to see even more of you next year.

04de8cfe.jpg

"He's a Pirate dancer, He dances for money, Any old dollar will do...

"He's a pirate dancer, His dances are funny... 'Cuz he's only got one shoe! Ahhrrr!"

FH1040.jpg

found some good photos on Flickr for those that want to live (relive) the event via computer.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/celticman/set...57600302324800/

It was a good event. It's sometimes hard to remember that it's only the third year too. The organizers did a fantastic job of dealing with the tornado emergency. I can't imagine how stressful that was for everyone, bravo!

"If part of the goods be plundered by a pirate the proprietor or shipmaster is not entitled to any contribution." An introduction to merchandize, Robert Hamilton, 1777

Slightly Obsessed, an 18th Century reenacting blog

Didn't get home from PW until 3:00 am this morning! One very tired, but happy pirate.

Port Washington was a blast. I met so many from the Pub, and had a very grand time.

To Sebastian Devareau and Flintlock Jack, a very heartfelt thank you for putting me up for the night in Dallas, and letting me trail in your footsteps all weekend. Our quiet morning breakfasts at the motel where we talked of the previous days events was especially nice, and Sunday night's dinner at the small pizza place, which was invaded by the large teenage "dance troop" will remain a fun memory. LOL

To all the crew of the Archangle, a HUGE thank-you for making me feel so welcome. And Andrew Marsh, my face is still hurting from laughing so hard Saturday afternoon. You, Rats and William could take that act on the road!

To my Saturday night dancing partners - Merrydeath and Mary Diamond - we rocked!

Lady Barbossa, it was wonderful to meet you at last. You have a joy and enthusiasm that is infectious, as is your great laugh.

I also met Duchess, the other west-coastie.

Most surreal moment: Sitting in the basement of a 100 yr old bank, with a bunch of people all dressed like pirates, waiting to see if a tornado is going to hit us or not. A thank you to William, who shared his Chinese lunch while we waited.

Will post some pictures as soon as I get them downloaded into my computer.

For those who didn't make the trip to Wisconsin - make the trip next year. It's worth every dime. :huh::huh:

...schooners, islands, and maroons

and buccaneers and buried gold...

RAKEHELL-1.jpg

You can do everything right, strictly according to procedure, on the ocean, and it'll still kill you. But if you're a good navigator, a least you'll know where you were when you died.......From The Ship Killer by Justin Scott.

"Well, that's just maddeningly unhelpful."....Captain Jack Sparrow

Found in the Ruins — Unique Jewelry

Found in the Ruins — Personal Blog

Port Washington - a charming little town, and then there were PIRATES! Everywhere you looked, it seemed everyone was having a good time, getting into the spirit of things ~ It is a compliment to all the hard work done by the organizers to pull off such a fun event, regardless of rain and wind.

It was great getting to meet and see so many people from the Pub! As many of you know, I am terrible with names, but good with faces ~ :huh: A great personal pleasure was getting to meet Ransom and Bilgemunky in person! A hearty cheer for the recruiting and entertaining done by the lovely MerryDeath and the crew of Fool's Gold ~ I know you will be remembered for a long, long time by the happy children and families you met - I wish there had been more down time to meet and get to know you all better. Cap'n Pete ~ as always, you are OFF THE HOOK! :huh: Bounding Main - so cute in their matching lifesavers, and voices I could listen to all day.

BoundingMain.jpg

And the crew of the Archangel ~ better mates I could not ask for, and I am so glad our paths did cross. The memories continue, but I will abbreviate them to simply say I was sad to see it end so quickly, but I look forward to attending again next year!

PW2007sm.jpg

MDtrademarkFinal-1.jpg

Oooh, shiny!

A grand pic, Diamond!

I have to admit... that was one of my fav places to hang was that particular spot... the chairs, table,... the setup was perfect!

It was a grand pleasure to meet you, too, Ransom!

Must do so again!

Flintlock Jack! T'was th' devil whom bought me a drink. I owe ye, mate! :huh: T'was grand to enjoy a moment's chatter until the sirens went off to spoil our fun.

Aye, Bounding Main outdid themselves for the parade!

I like the moving land vessel that the Scurvvy Dawgs were on! I WANT IT!!! :huh:

Oh, we begged Pete to have a pic with him, his shark on one hand and the hook on the other! :huh:

Sebastian... Oh, how we can capitalize on the pirate/smuggling business, mate! :huh:

OY! Speakin' of Bilgemunky.... Let's hear it for his DJing on Saturday night! :huh::huh:

A splendid round of piratical songs that was purely enjoyable to dance to or sit and listen to. Either way, with the amount of pirates at the Buccaneer Bash... it was a blast! Whether with or without the fireworks.

:huh: Pete... I can't help but to enjoy recalling you singing Spongebob Squarepants while in the basement. The kids enjoyed that. That pinapple will be forever famous until it's finally used.

You have to admit about the bank.. they CAN'T blame us for stripping it! it was already stripped before we arrived! :huh:

Fantastic pictures everyone. Hope to get some of mine up as soon as I get my pics in to be developed. Would LOVE to add them to the wonderful lot of them here.

Already starting to prep for 2008 Pirate Fest!

~Lady B

:huh:

Tempt Fate! an' toss 't all t' Hell!"

"I'm completely innocent of whatever crime I've committed."

The one, the only,... the infamous!

Now that the event is done will we ever see Scuttle Sally here again?

she's gone with the tide, mate.

:lol:

Of course, I'll be around. I need my pirate fix 365 a year.

To everyone that came to this event...I can't express how grateful I am. Somehow, even with the awful weather and the TORNADO this year was better than last. You all are amazing, and getting a chance to spend one quick weekend a year with folks as grand as yerselfs....well, that's reason enough for me to continue to do it.

Thanks for coming, thanks for dealing with our growing pains, thanks for the memories, I adore you all.

Oh, and Rats...thanks for being such a good sport! :lol:

One last thing, Pete...if that damn shark happens to find itself attached to my ass again...well, let's just say I enjoy sushi. A lot. <_<

So sad it's over, but it really did go quickly...and we already have an AMAZING idea in the works for next year's show.

(Lilly looking shocked at Scuttle Sally's last comment about the shark and a particular part of her person - gives Cap'n Pete a look)

Evil Peaches! Bad...Bad Pyrate!

Been trying to upload photos of this past weekend. Photoshop is giving me fits! I will see what I can do in the next couple of days.

Oh, by the way Dean/Scuttle Sally...any good photos of the Pyrate Breakfast?

Cheeky

photo-2975.jpg?__rand=0.71617700+1286403
Member of "The Forsaken"

Evil Peaches! Bad...Bad Pyrate!

c'est la vie

sharks have to eat too, I guess. :P:P:P

I'm sorry I don't have any pictures, AT ALL. It's one of the things I never have time to do. I also didn't get a chance to do any shopping! :P

I know the website solicits photos from patrons, so if any come up I'll post them.

OH, and if anyone left a pack of playing cards in the green room and can identify them I would be happy to send them back to you.

Might I say that it was a grand time to be had; a time of rekindling old aquaints and discovering new ones...A more charming town one could not wish to discover. I could very well scrbe a text to rival War and Peace in regard to the tales to be told and the best of company to be included in the list of characters.

To those of Fool's Gold that I have had to honour of meeting in the past, it was of most profound pleasure to have encountered you, once again...And Lady B, it seems to tickle mine recollect of certain negotiations taking place in a temporary local near the Quay. :P

IMG_0250.jpg

Who says the malitia cannot be bought off....**smirk**

My only regrets did not involve the weather; but the briefness of it all and those I did not have the opportunity to meet that were attending. To those I missed, my apologies...It was not for lack of want, but the flurry of it all which hampered our crossing of paths.

I raise my tankard and doff mon chapeau to Archangel, dearest partners in buisness and dearer friends. A votre sante, one and all!! :P

It is time to pause, even so early, for this account is not intended to be about my life...but is, as I have said, about my life's secrets. Secrecy is intrinsic to my work. ~ Christopher Priest

“Five and Twenty Ponies, Trotting thru’ the Dark.

Brandy for the Parson, 'Baccy for the Clerk. Laces for a Lady, Letters for a Spy.Watch the wall my darling; While the Gentlemen go by.”~Rudyard Kipling

ClaudeDuval.jpg

Here is one shot Friday morning of the Dennis Sullivan leaving the quay to make room for Windy 2. The fog was such a wonderful touch for many a photo shot.

IMG_0221.jpg

It is time to pause, even so early, for this account is not intended to be about my life...but is, as I have said, about my life's secrets. Secrecy is intrinsic to my work. ~ Christopher Priest

“Five and Twenty Ponies, Trotting thru’ the Dark.

Brandy for the Parson, 'Baccy for the Clerk. Laces for a Lady, Letters for a Spy.Watch the wall my darling; While the Gentlemen go by.”~Rudyard Kipling

ClaudeDuval.jpg