New Crewe member upon this Ship!

Tess St. Claire

"Ransom there is no time for joking ... as you very well can see there is no hair to comb through , and what crumbs ?" said Striker while he felt panic spread through his body .

He ran to the mirror again and tried to straight out his newly borrowed clothes . Put some water on his face to fresh up and dryed his face in one of Spoons favourite table cloths.

"Sorry Spoons ! Good thing you are sleeping!" :lol:

He ran towards gang plank stoped up about 10 meters away from it and started to aproach it in a calm manner.

"Mistress Melchert , how pleasant to see you again ! " .

Striker looked at Jacky to see if he could give Jane permission to come aboard , Jacky gave him a nod .

"Please come aboard and join us for a drink or two , please tell the story of how you saved my belongings from the clutches of the Devil herself " :o

portroyalbannerfinalbig-1.gif

always surrounded by shadows , always in the shadow. A spectre he be !

• Replies 411
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"Welcome aboard lass, and thank ye fer retrievin' Captain Striker's clothes, we're startin' t' run short on wardrobe changes fer him." Pauses and looks at the newcomer with a puzzled look, "Aye, how is it that ye came into the possession of the good captain's clothin', and found him here? Ye can tell the tale in the galley, as ye look to be cold and shiverin'."

"Mistress Melchert , how pleasant to see you again ! "

The familiar lilt of Strikers voice erased any fear Jane felt. Her eyes quickly searched the shadows for the source of the comforting sound. Striker came scrambling towards the gangplank, running a damp hand over his cropped hair as he moved. An amused smile spread across Jane’s face as he abruptly slowed, attempting to hide his eager approach.

“Ah, M’Dear Mr. Striker. I do believe these might be more suited to you than the street rat I found ‘em on”

She raised a brow to him, holding out the familiar garment. Striker gathered the jacket under his arm, before he extended the other to her. With practiced ease he guided her up the rough wooden board that connected ship to shore. Jane nearly lost her balance taking the final deep step down onto the main deck. Her legs were easily tangled among the seldom worn skirts. Before the fall was complete Jane felt a strong hand on her arm, pulling her into a protective embrace. Her green eyes rose, matching the shinning blue gaze of Striker. The ill fitting clothes gave him the appearance of a beggar but did little to hide the dangerous spark in his eyes. He smelled faintly of drink and musty sea water. Jane took in a deep breath, the heady scent tying knots in the pit of her stomach. She had to bite her lip in an attempt at self control, her heart pounding loudly in her ears.

“Uh, wh, whot was this ye said ‘bout tha “devil ‘er self”?” She stammered, feeling the hot blush of embarrassment on her cheeks.

"If part of the goods be plundered by a pirate the proprietor or shipmaster is not entitled to any contribution." An introduction to merchandize, Robert Hamilton, 1777

Slightly Obsessed, an 18th Century reenacting blog

Watches Striker politely pull out a chair for Jane, then rush to fill her goblet with Port. I give Jacky a little smile. "Isn't this cozy?"

...schooners, islands, and maroons

and buccaneers and buried gold...

RAKEHELL-1.jpg

You can do everything right, strictly according to procedure, on the ocean, and it'll still kill you. But if you're a good navigator, a least you'll know where you were when you died.......From The Ship Killer by Justin Scott.

"Well, that's just maddeningly unhelpful."....Captain Jack Sparrow

Found in the Ruins — Unique Jewelry

Found in the Ruins — Personal Blog

"Aye , the Devil is bearer of the name St.Claire . I lost the coins I had on me in a game of cards , and clothing as well. "

Striker said with a smurk on his lips while looking into Jane's eyes which reminded him of the colour of Jade.

"Some more port for ye ?" he said with the bottle in his hand.

"I am glad to make your aquantance again. Pardon for being this frank , but I must say that I enjoy your company" then he adds " And yours of course !" he says to Ransom and Jacky :huh:

"Please tell us of your brave deed , my dear lass " he said to Jane

“A blond gentle woman playing cards?” Jane questioned, a furrow creasing her brow as she looked up from her newly filled glass. The slight nod from the others confirmed that the lady she had seen was one and the same.

“It seems fate was on your side this eve Mr. Striker. I would gladly tell a grand tale of rescuing your belongings from the she-devil but it would be a lie. I merely convinced the lad in possession of them that he would be better suited to something his own size. Please tell though sir, how you came aboard such a fine ship without your breeches?” She smiled devilishly at the thought of Striker in the buff, a sight she mildly regretted missing.

"If part of the goods be plundered by a pirate the proprietor or shipmaster is not entitled to any contribution." An introduction to merchandize, Robert Hamilton, 1777

As always Jane made Striker loose his nerves for a split of a second with her direct way of being.

His face turned stone cold with seriousness. he took a sip of the port.

"As I would have done with my breeches on. I walked ,my dear Lady , I walked !" he laughed out .

"Aye , as I said earlier there was a full moon out tonight ." He continued still laughing.

"Is that not right my dear Ransom and Jacky ?"

"Aye , as I said earlier there was a full moon out tonight ." He continued still laughing.

"Aye, what be the Danish expression fer full moon? Fer that it were indeed, Captain Striker." Jacky chuckles softly and offers Ransom some more port.

The fit of laughter that escaped Jane’s mouth at Strikers retort nearly knocked her out of her seat. She bent forward almost double, burying her face in her thin hands. Slight tears of humor glistened from her eyes as she gasped for air between giggles. Once she had regained enough composure to sit upright Jane sipped her port with a grin.

“Oh but as long as the sun shines one does not ask for the moon”

“Fer that it were indeed, Captain Striker."

The smile faded from Jane’s face as the other man addressed Striker as captain. She had never considered that he might be an officer, much less a captain. The idea sent a wave of panic through her. Jane scolded herself for previous behavior, praying that nothing had hinted at her secret. She glanced again to Striker, a comforting smile creasing his face. She turned away quickly, burying her eyes in the glass she held.

"Aye, what be the Danish expression fer full moon? Fer that it were indeed, Captain Striker." Jacky chuckles softly and offers Ransom some more port.

Accepts the Port, then says, "I don't know much Danish. I just learned about some kind of snorry bread. As for the full moon, well, that was most entertaining. By the way, Jacky, did you ever get your hat back?" :D

RAKEHELL-1.jpg

You can do everything right, strictly according to procedure, on the ocean, and it'll still kill you. But if you're a good navigator, a least you'll know where you were when you died.......From The Ship Killer by Justin Scott.

By the way, Jacky, did you ever get your hat back?

"No, thank ye. New hat!" Jacky notices that Ransom is tired, as is he, "Captain Ransom, ye may retire t' my cabin if ye desire t' sleep. I can sleep elsewhere t' nite." Turns to Striker, "I'm sure ye both have alot t' catch up on. But, when ye do retire give lady Melchert the private berth near the bow. Spoons serves breakfast at six bells." Jacky stands, "I'll be topside stretchin' me legs."

"Aye , full moon in Danish is almost the same as in English . It is fuld maane in Danish. " B)

"I don't know much Danish. I just learned about some kind of snorry bread. As for the full moon, well, that was most entertaining. By the way, Jacky, did you ever get your hat back?"

"Ah , snoerre broed my dear Ransom. You must have been sitting near a camp fire then . I have only tried it ones . " He saw that Jacky and Jane looked as if they were two big question marks so he continued.

"It is just some dough wrapped around a stick . Then you just hold the stick over the bon fire untill you have bread , light burned though. Unless you are really unlucky and get some coal on a stick. " The last comment gave him a remembrance of his own stick of coal and put a smile on his lips . But it seems to make Jane feel uncomfortable because shehe turned her head around and looked at her glass.

Jacky notices that Ransom is tired, as is he, "Captain Ransom, ye may retire t' my cabin if ye desire t' sleep. I can sleep elsewhere t' nite." Turns to Striker, "I'm sure ye both have alot t' catch up on. But, when ye do retire give lady Melchert the private berth near the bow. Spoons serves breakfast at six bells." Jacky stands, "I'll be topside stretchin' me legs."

"Aye , thanks alot ! See ye in the morning"

Jacky paces the deck and muses about his companions, and young love. Turns his attention back to the ship, "Relentless ol' girl will have ye back t' sea soon. Fewer misadventures next trip out!"

Jacky considers what will happen when Tess see's Striker wearing his clothes, again. He mutters, "That may cost us another dress."

I stand in Jacky's cabin a moment, thinking I should really be back on board the Rakehell. But, I'm tired, a little woozy from all that champagne and Port, and the cabin is neat and cozy. With a shrug, I strip down to just my shirt, climb into the hammock, and pull the blanket over my legs.

I leave the lantern burning. If there's any trouble, I don't want to be stumbling around in the dark, in a unfamilier cabin.

As I drift off, I can still hear Striker and Jane laughing together.

RAKEHELL-1.jpg

They notice the lack of clothing again , he is only wearing his hat .

" That damn Tess .... took all of my money and clothes.... Never going to play cards with her again ! "

Tess staggers to her feet after having another glass of red wine. "A naked man?! Where?!?" She then stumbles back to her chair. "Why is it that I never can remember seeing a naked man And I have nightmares about the damn thing, too! I cannot seem to win!" She slumps over in her chair. "I'm gonna be sick!"

Spoons makes his morning rounds and finds Mister Tar sleeping in front of his quarters. Spoons takes a cup of fresh brewed coffee and runs it underneath Jacky's nose. Jacky stirs and Spoons smiles, "Keepin' watch all night sir?" Jacky reaches a hand out from under the sea cloak and blanket, and gratefully excepts the hot beverage. Spoons smiles a wry smile and heads back to the galley.

Spoons makes his morning rounds and finds Mister Tar sleeping in front of his quarters.

Jacky sips the coffee and wonders where everyone else ended up sleeping? He stands and scoops up the blanket and heads toward the galley; it will be first light soon.

I wake with a start, at first not sure where I am. A soft, early dawn light filters through the thick glass of the cabin windows. It's not my cabin, and most of my clothes are in a heap on the floor. My rapier, the belt dangling, leans drunkenly against a sea chest. What the hell...?

Then memory returns, and I am once again grateful I am not prone to hangovers. I slip from the hammock, put my clothes back on, retrieve my rapier, and cautiously open the cabin door. From the galley I smell the ambrosia of fresh coffee.

When I find the source of the aroma, I also find Jacky, a wool blanket draped over his shoulders. He's leaning in the doorway, sipping from a pottery mug. He looks like he's spent an uncomfortable night. The man called Spoons glances up and gives me a quizzical look, darts a look at Jacky, then goes back to his work.

Pushing my hair, which has gone rather wild, away from my face, I stand on the other side of the narrow doorway and give my host a wry smile. With barely a foot between us, I point at his steaming mug. "Any of that stuff left?"

RAKEHELL-1.jpg

Pushing my hair, which has gone rather wild, away from my face, I stand on the other side of the narrow doorway and give my host a wry smile. With barely a foot between us, I point at his steaming mug. "Any of that stuff left?"

"Good morning, I can share this one", he taunts her. "Aye, we have more, let me fetch ye a mug. I didn't know what ye'd eat; so, Spoons has prepared an oat porridge, fresh baked soda bread, cheeses and fried sausages. Fresh butter and some preserves for the bread. I do hope we can tempt ye wit' something t' eat." Jacky pours Ransom a mug of coffee, "The beans are from North Africa." Jacky hands the mug to Ransom. "Was the bunk comfortable?"

Jane stirred awake at the soft chime of a bell, followed steadily by two more. At first she was disoriented. She could feel the slow roll of a moored ship but the beams over head didn’t match the familiar ones on the Anna Rae. She sat up slowly, shaking her wine muddled brain, recalling how Captain Tar had offered his visitors berths for the remainder of the night. She yawned heavily, wishing it had been a longer night than it was.

Silently she gathered her shoes, tucking them under an arm before ducking out the low doorway and finding her way to the open deck. There had been mention of a morning meal, a prospect that nearly made Jane return to the borrowed bed. However the nagging in her gut pushed her on. Striker’s kind words and attempted reassurance the night before had done little to ease her nerves. Jane’s green eyes scanned her surroundings as soft feet crept toward the egress. There appeared to be few sailors on the morning watch and no sign of her host or companions. She was glad for the opportunity to slip away unnoticed. It had been against her better judgment to stay aboard the Relentless in the first place. While she enjoyed Strikers attentions, she couldn’t shake the feeling that the more time they spent together the more chance she had of making a fatal mistake. The risk of giving away her other identity was simply too great. It would be safer back in the city, amongst the anonymous city dwellers than in the close confines of a ship with others who might see through her.

Despite the constant worry, being on a fine vessel brought her happiness. Impetuously Jane gathered her rough linen skirts high above her knees, climbing deftly onto the thick railing at her side. Bare toes grasped the salt worn wood with skillful ease, gliding forward with careful steps. She stood there a moment, taking in the gray morning sky, a brisk breeze swirling around her. Just as she was about to hop down onto the gangplank she heard the memorable tenor of Strikers voice.

“Good morning Mistress”

Jacky pours Ransom a mug of coffee, "The beans are from North Africa." Jacky hands the mug to Ransom. "Was the bunk comfortable?"

"The bunk was fine. I fear I slept like the dead." I gesture to the blanket draped around his shoulders. "Where did you sleep?"

Spoons gives a huff, then goes back to stirring the pot of porridge.

I accept the offered mug from Jacky, our fingers lightly touching. I take a tentative sip of the black-brown brew. It's hot and strong and courses through my body like Greek fire. "This is good. Do you make it, or does Spoons?"

RAKEHELL-1.jpg

"The bunk was fine. I fear I slept like the dead." I gesture to the blanket draped around his shoulders. "Where did you sleep?"

Spoons gives a huff, then goes back to stirring the pot of porridge.

I accept the offered mug from Jacky, our fingers lightly touching. I take a tentative sip of the black-brown brew. It's hot and strong and courses through my body like Greek fire. "This is good. Do you make it, or does Spoons?"

"Spoons has prepared everythin' this mornin'. I best ring the bell and call the others to breakfast" He didn't want to stare at her, but he couldn't help himself. With her hair down and their small exchanges of pleasantries she made him forget all else.

Spoons muttered, "Oh piffle, I'll ring the bloody bell!"

Striker was sitting on very same barrel he tried to hide his attributes behind the night before . He had many thoughts runing through his his head and he found it best to be alone to see where his mind would lead him.

As he lid his pipe his eyes caught a glimpse of Jane departing in all haste . "Guess the get together is over" He thought to himself.

“Good morning Mistress” he then added "Going so soon ? I would have wished that ey would have waited untill after breakfast . After a good meal I shalt depart as well , my men and ship awaits me !"

Just as she was about to hop down onto the gangplank she heard the memorable tenor of Strikers voice.

“Good morning Mistress”

Spoons sees Jane about to leave the ship, "Lady Jane, leavin' with out breakfast? You do not want Mister Tar to find out you left, without so much as a by-your-leave. Please, stay to eat breakfast and make proper good-byes."

Spoons rings the bell and calls out to Captain Striker, "I found some kippers, not sure how they compare to Danish herring, but you are welcome to try them."