New Crewe member upon this Ship!

Tess St. Claire

It's been a busy day aboard the Relentless, with a new crew on board. A few more days of refitting, and she'd be ready to sail again.

Jacky paces the deck, and his thoughts return to Ransom. Spoons warning still echos in his ears, but the warning falls on deaf ears, and an aching heart. "I am a fool!", he mumbles.

• Replies 411
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Once on board the Rakehell, I return to my cabin.

A few minutes later Goose knocks on the door, then pokes his head in. "Ye needin' anythin', Captain? I got a nice pot o' fish stew goin'. I can bring ya some, if ya like."

I plop down in my chair, and lean back. "No. I'm not hungry. But bring me some tea, would you."

Goose eyes me a minute, then says, "Ya want me ta add some rum to it?"

I shake my head. "Rum isn't going to help this time."

He gives me one last look and shrugs his scrawny shoulders. "Tea it is then."

...schooners, islands, and maroons

and buccaneers and buried gold...

RAKEHELL-1.jpg

You can do everything right, strictly according to procedure, on the ocean, and it'll still kill you. But if you're a good navigator, a least you'll know where you were when you died.......From The Ship Killer by Justin Scott.

"Well, that's just maddeningly unhelpful."....Captain Jack Sparrow

Found in the Ruins — Unique Jewelry

Found in the Ruins — Personal Blog

Jacky retires to his cabin for the evening, and looks at a list of the work still needed aboard the Relentless. Many of the jobs left require a skilled carpenter, and the position for first mate has yet to be filled. The new crew members have skills, many are able seamen, and a few are not. Some jobs will have to be done with local carpenters, just to finish on time.

He'll have to send Spoons, out in the morning, to post notices for the positions still vacant. Jacky picks up a tankard of ale, and a sandwich, which Spoons has prepared for him to eat. He is use to dining alone, and usually prefers it; but, not tonight, Ransom's departure today has robbed him of a desirable dining companion, too.

• 2 weeks later...
Jacky retires to his cabin for the evening, and looks at a list of the work still needed aboard the Relentless. Many of the jobs left require a skilled carpenter, and the position for first mate has yet to be filled. The new crew members have skills, many are able seamen, and a few are not. Some jobs will have to be done with local carpenters, just to finish on time.

He'll have to send Spoons, out in the morning, to post notices for the positions still vacant. Jacky picks up a tankard of ale, and a sandwich, which Spoons has prepared for him to eat. He is use to dining alone, and usually prefers it; but, not tonight, Ransom's departure today has robbed him of a desirable dining companion, too.

Goose came into my cabin unannounced, plunked a cup of tea on my desk, and stood glaring down at me.

"What?" I snapped, in no mood for his moods.

"Ya been mopin' around for days now. Bitin' everyone's head off, lookin daggars at every word."

"And your point is?" I growled, knowing he was telling the trueth.

"Well, me and the crew was hopin' ya could work it out, and quit bein' so sharp like. Ya been like this ever since ya come back from the Relentless. If someone insulted ya, then let's give um a broadside, and ha done with it."

That made me smile. "No, I've not been insulted. Just...brushed off."

"Who would be so reckless? And, are they still alive?"

I laughed. "Oh yes, very much alive. Not reckless, I think. Cautious."

"Well, whatever be the problem, ya'd best work it out, or the rest o' us might think about jumpin' ship."

I took a sip of the tea, which Goose had laced with rum. "Yes, you're right. I better work it out. Can't hardly sail the Rakehell by myself."

Goose nodded his scrawny head. "Knew ifn I had a chat, things would be better." Then he left me in peace.

I took another sip of the tea, put down the delicate cup, and stood. "Right, best work this thing out, not sit around fuming about it. If I don't get the answer I want, then I'll give um a broadside alright, but it'll have nothing to do with cannons."

RAKEHELL-1.jpg

You can do everything right, strictly according to procedure, on the ocean, and it'll still kill you. But if you're a good navigator, a least you'll know where you were when you died.......From The Ship Killer by Justin Scott.

Dillard grabbed the posted note from the pub wall, "Bless my stars, the Relentless here! Can't be..." He clutched the paper like it was his ticket to the promised land. He spun about lookin' fer any familiar faces, but he saw none. "Be calm, could be another ship", he told himself. But the prospect of finding it was the same ship, lifted his spirits. His purse was light, but he needed to be presentable, to the ships' Master.

After a shave, and procuring a clean shirt. He felt ready to present himself to the captain, of the Relentless. The walk to the north dock, allowed him time to consider what he would say. Soon the ship came in to view, there she was moored to this very dock, the Relentless. He could have wept tears of joy.

Men were loading provisions, on board the ship. The captain was standing on the main deck, watching and directing the crew. Dillard recognized him at once; more good fortune he thought, it was Captain John Taylor Black!

Jacky was pleased with the progress they had made today. Most of their stores were aboard, but they needed more fresh water. Jacky shouted down to Spoons, who was in the hold, "I didn't see any lamp oil come aboard, do we have enough t' last the next two weeks?"

Jacky faced the man, who wanted to board the ship, "Permission granted, Mister Dillard."

"Arr ye fit fer duty?" Jacky had heard that Dillard had succumbed to the bottle, while recovering from injuries; injuries received after a failed battle at sea, with a french privateer.

• 4 months later...

B) Did I not say ya were a darlin'!

Thanks for finding it, Luv.

RAKEHELL-1.jpg