New Crewe member upon this Ship!

Tess St. Claire

• Replies 411
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Jane froze at the all too familiar summon. It seemed Striker had a knack for catching her unaware. She had been certain the deck was clear when she began her escape, yet there he stood. It was a useful skill, though she wondered how his crew felt about their ethereal captain.

With a defeated dip of her head, Jane spun around on the ball of her foot, releasing a long held sigh. She opened her eyes, looking slightly downward at Striker. He was easy on the eyes, she would admit that much. The close cropped hair topped a work tanned face, punctuated with crystal blue eyes. His devious smile forming rye creases around his mouth. One rough hand cradled a gently smoking white pipe, the other reached out to her in a thoughtful gesture. With a rustle the arm load of skirts fell about Jane’s bare feet. She declined the offered hand with a wave, dropping soundlessly to the floor with a half smile to Striker.

“A meal it is then. But please, Mr. Spoons, let us refrain from any mention of fish, or turtle” Jane shuttered, her stomach pitching along with the ship.

"If part of the goods be plundered by a pirate the proprietor or shipmaster is not entitled to any contribution." An introduction to merchandize, Robert Hamilton, 1777

Slightly Obsessed, an 18th Century reenacting blog

As Jane walked back onboard the Relentless . Striker followed , it seemed as if she did not want to stay with company any more to him.

"Just a breakfast and then we will be off " he thought to himself.

He saw Jacky and Ransom engaged in a conversation. It put a smile on his face .

portroyalbannerfinalbig-1.gif

always surrounded by shadows , always in the shadow. A spectre he be !

"Simple breakfast fare and a fresh keg of ale. You both look like you could use a good meal to start your day!" He mumbles to himself, "No turtles will be served this morning, perish the thought, those are nasty creatures to shell." Spoons heads back to the galley to prepare places for lady Jane and Captain Striker.

...He mumbles to himself, "No turtles will be served this morning, perish the thought, those are nasty creatures to shell." Spoons heads back to the galley to prepare places for lady Jane and Captain Striker.

"Turtle?" I look at Spoons with admiration. "Can you acutally cook one? If so, and judging by this coffee, I'd pay you to teach my cook...well, how to cook. Goose has a talent for mutilating almost anything. I dare not ask him to do more than fry bacon or crack an egg into a pan. Not long ago, he served me a roast chicken that looked like it had been burned at the stake."

I hold out my mug for a refill. "I think I'll stick with coffee and pass on the ale, but breakfast sounds wonderful. I'm starving."

Spoons, still shooting me appraising looks, refills my cup as Striker and Jane arrive at the galley. I smile at Striker. "Well, at least you still have your clothes on this morning. That's a good sign."

Reluctantly I move away from the door and Jacky's close presence, allowing the new arrivals through.

...schooners, islands, and maroons

and buccaneers and buried gold...

RAKEHELL-1.jpg

You can do everything right, strictly according to procedure, on the ocean, and it'll still kill you. But if you're a good navigator, a least you'll know where you were when you died.......From The Ship Killer by Justin Scott.

"Well, that's just maddeningly unhelpful."....Captain Jack Sparrow

Found in the Ruins — Unique Jewelry

Found in the Ruins — Personal Blog

Jacky is glad to see Captain Striker looking like a captain again. Curious that Jane only makes eye contact with the good captain, and no one else. Perhaps the food will ease her nervousness. "Good mornin' t' ye lady Jane, please take a seat." Spoons gestures to places he's set for her and Captain Striker.

Jane appears to be waiting for permission to eat, "Don't wait on ceremony lass, eat!" Striker shows no such hesitation, and fills his plate.

"Spoons , you are a great cook ... Jacky if he wasn't your cook I would steal him away in the midst of the night " Striker praised spoons and joked around with Jacky while he was still eating "what do you say , Mistress ?" he asked jane

“Least ye ‘av a cook” Jane mumbled pushing around the food on her plate rather than eat.

She felt a bitter jealousy at the three captains and their complaints about poorly prepared food. At least they had meals. Jane’s days on the over manned, under supplied Anna Rae had been a practice in starvation. The lavish lifestyle the other enjoyed was becoming all too comfortable to her. Another day and she wouldn’t want to leave.

Jane set down her fork unused. She cupped the offered mug with both hands, looking deeply into the amber liquid. She took a full gulp, relishing the slightly warm bitter ale. As she lowered the drink, she noticed that the others were watching her every move. It made her distinctly uncomfortable to be under all those pairs of eyes. She bit her pink lips in nervous reaction.

“Um, aye Captain” she said more distinctly directing her gaze to Strikers quizzical smile.

"If part of the goods be plundered by a pirate the proprietor or shipmaster is not entitled to any contribution." An introduction to merchandize, Robert Hamilton, 1777

After watching Jane twitch after every word spoken to her, and as she still looked about to bolt if we so much as looked cross-eyed at her, I finally had to ask, "Jane, are you afraid of us? Be easy, we're not going to harm you." I point to her plate. "Might as well eat up. Never know where or when your next meal will be. Besides, you'll insult poor Spoons if you don't."

RAKEHELL-1.jpg

You can do everything right, strictly according to procedure, on the ocean, and it'll still kill you. But if you're a good navigator, a least you'll know where you were when you died.......From The Ship Killer by Justin Scott.

Jacky tries to be more sympathetic, "Jane how do ye earn yer daily bread. Ye have the calluses on yer hands in places where a sailor might. Any of us could offer ye employment and a place t' stay; ye just need t' ask. If ye have skills, we have work." Looks at Ransom for inspiration, "I could use a carpenter, and a cooper. Spoons could always use help." Looks about the galley and back at Jane, "We eat well, and Spoons serves the crew what we eat."

"Mistress Melchert , do not be alarmed by our frankness ! if you have not noticed yet we are not ordinary captains , that is why we get out so well with each other . " said Striker , trying to reasure Jane as much as he could .

"All of us started out as sailors , even Ransom here . " he then made a roll with his eyes , put a hand on top of his head and started to scratch it . He then laughed out "Well except for me . I started out as a captain " he then continued "But I still had to prove myself so the men could respect me. It was not until The Spaniard attacked us that I gained it " he said.

"As you see we do not look down on you , as you look down on us !"

"Do not judge a person by his looks , but by his actions I say !"

I can't tell if Jane is heartened by this speach, or whether she'd rather hide under the table in embarassment. Clearly, she's been on a ship before and knows he way around, but why is that something that needs to be kept secret?

I reach out and touch the woman's arm. "Striker is being very noble, and what he says is true, but I get the feeling there is something about your past that worries you, and that is the reason you are so nervous." I gesture to Jacky and Striker and myself. "God knows there are things in our past we don't like talking about. How else would we come to such a profession? Your secret, whatever it is, is safe with us. So, have no more fear. Eat your breakfast." I smiled at her. "And, I think you have just had three offers of safe haven on the ship of your choice, although I'm sure Striker is hoping you'll chose his fine vessel."

RAKEHELL-1.jpg

Jane’s voice shook slightly as she spoke. She felt the incredible urge to curl into a ball & hide but knew that wouldn’t happen in this persistent group.

“My apologies captain, er, captains.” She paused nodding at Ransom & Tar “‘Tis true whot ye said Capn Striker. ‘Tis not fare to judge all by the actions of one.” The ale was raised to her dry mouth in an attempt to calm her still jangled nerves. She shifted in her seat, tucking first one leg then the other under herself in a position that looked more uncomfortable than it was.

“Yer hospitality should ‘ave been enough fer me ta see that. Now please, I would love to hear ‘bout tha Spanish. If ye care ta tell it sir” Her brow raised to Striker, hopeful that the change in conversation would rescue her from further questioning.

"It was not long ago. I came to the West Indies on my merchant ship , named HavHeksen. We were boarded by Spaniards . I lost Havheksen , but gained The Maligna ! The men did not trust me until that moment . It was then I had proven myself as a leader. " He answered Jane ,well knowing that she was changing the attention from herself , and then took a bite of the sausage on his plate.

It's clear Jane doesn't want to talk about whatever is bothering her, so I sit back, sip my coffee, and let Striker tell his tale.

RAKEHELL-1.jpg

Spoons sees Striker's tale is told, and attention will again turn to Jane. "Lady Jane, I think you dropped this up on deck." Spoons drops a small purse with about two weeks pay in it, in to Jane's right hand. "I can wrap up some food for you, if you want to take it with you."

Jane was taken a back by the cooks offering. Judging by the weight the small pouch it held no less than a month of her meager pay. She knew if she accepted the gift she would come to regret it in some way later. Her eyes locked with Spoons for a moment before she responded.

“Nay, ‘tis not mine sir.” Her tangled blond hair shook in denial. The bundle was lightly placed on the crowded table. “And I wouldn’t wish ta take advantage of yer already ample generosity. Although,“ Jane paused, searching the bottom of her empty mug with the slightest smile “I would take a bit more of that ale.”

Jacky had hoped that Jane would take the purse from Spoons, but she did not. "Jane the purse is yers, and with no strings attached. Hopefully, the money in it will get ye by, while ye find a way to refill it." Jacky pushes the purse back to Jane. "Ye took a risk comin' here, and should not leave empty handed."

“Oh, mother o’ saint’s yer a persistent lot!” Jane grumbled, snatching the lumpy pouch from Tar’s insisting hand. Her nose wrinkled in an annoyed manner followed by a resigned shake of the head.

“I’d best make my way lest ye hand over the whole ship.” She smiled, gesturing with her arms as she rose from her seat. “Many thanks for the hospitality Captain Tar, Mr. Spoons, Captain Ransom, Captain Striker.” Her gaze hung on Striker for a moment longer, the faintest pink coloring her cheeks. With a shy smile, Jane turned and left the galley.

Spoons can see Mister Tar is seething, "I guess she won't be going on the account then, sir?"

Jacky stands and smirks, "No, she is not goin' on the account." Turns to Captain Striker and smiles, "Ye like her directness?"

"Ransom, would ye like more coffee?" Jacky has but to gaze at Ransom, and his calm returns.

"Ahemmm , best be getting back to my crew and ship . Thank you very much for yer hospitality , let's do

it again soon at La Maligna ." Striker stood up gave a nod to Ransom and Jacky before going out.

"Don't be strangers ! " He added on his way

"Striker, wait! Ye can't go down that plank wit' out the means t' defend yer self. "Jacky turns and picks up two sea pistols, "I had Spoons fetch these from the armory. I'll pick them up, when I visit ye aboard the La Maligna." Jacky hands the pistols, and a powder and shot box, to Captain Striker.

"Thanks alot Jacky ! Ye are the most kindest and thoughtfull gent I know!"

Striker smiled and took the pistols , powder and shotbox , and then shook Jaky's hand. Looked at Ransom and gave her a low bow "Well must be on my way to the Shipp Inn to collect my brace of pistols which Ray so kindly is holding for me , farewell"

Striker turns around and departs from the Relentless .