New Crewe member upon this Ship!

Tess St. Claire

" That damn Tess .... took all of my money and clothes.... Never going to play cards with her again ! " :ph34r:

:ph34r::ph34r:

My sides nearly split from laughing as Jacky bolts off to grab Striker some clothes. Striker hides behind a barrel, but it's a small one, and his lily-white rear shines in the moonlight.

"My dear Striker, pull in your stern, man, you're blinding me!" :ph34r:

...schooners, islands, and maroons

and buccaneers and buried gold...

RAKEHELL-1.jpg

You can do everything right, strictly according to procedure, on the ocean, and it'll still kill you. But if you're a good navigator, a least you'll know where you were when you died.......From The Ship Killer by Justin Scott.

"Well, that's just maddeningly unhelpful."....Captain Jack Sparrow

Found in the Ruins — Unique Jewelry

Found in the Ruins — Personal Blog

• Replies 411
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

" That damn Tess .... took all of my money and clothes.... Never going to play cards with her again ! "  :ph34r:

:ph34r::ph34r:

My sides nearly split from laughing as Jacky bolts off to grab Striker some clothes. Striker hides behind a barrel, but it's a small one, and his lily-white rear shines in the moonlight.

"My dear Striker, pull in your stern, man, you're blinding me!" :ph34r:

"I am trying to hide the moon , but it is hard ... the barrel is tiny and the moon is ...Full I guess " :ph34r:

portroyalbannerfinalbig-1.gif

always surrounded by shadows , always in the shadow. A spectre he be !

"Then you better find a bigger barrel."

I point to a large packing crate. "Maybe that would allow you a little more coverage until Jacky gets back"

RAKEHELL-1.jpg

You can do everything right, strictly according to procedure, on the ocean, and it'll still kill you. But if you're a good navigator, a least you'll know where you were when you died.......From The Ship Killer by Justin Scott.

"I am trying to hide the moon , but it is hard ... the barrel is tiny and the moon is ...Full I guess " ;)

Spoons walks by Captain Striker, "Full moon again tonight, Captain Striker?" On his way up the gang plank he passes Jacky and tips his hat, "Evenin', Sir." He sees Ransom leaning over the main deck railing, "Ahoy, Mister Tar didn't say we were takin' on any cabin boys. What's yer name lad?"

He sees Ransom leaning over the main deck railing, "Ahoy, Mister Tar didn't say we were takin' on any cabin boys. What's yer name lad?"

Jacky hears the cook address Ransom, and turns, "Spoons, put on yer spectacles and introduce yer self to lady Ransom, the Captain of the Rakehell." Jacky finishes walking down the plank, and hands Striker a better fitting pair of breeches, a shirt and the justacorp. "Striker, come aboard when yer dressed and I'll have Spoons prepare ye somethin' t' eat. Ye can take the first mates bunk for tonight."

... What's yer name lad?"

Jacky hears the cook address Ransom, and turns, "Spoons, put on yer spectacles and introduce yer self to lady Ransom, the Captain of the Rakehell.

"Don't feel bad, Spoons, it's a comom mistake—a non-gender specific name, boyish figure, boyish clothes. But, make it a second time, and oooh, that might get you in trouble."

Watches Striker march up the gang plank. "Well, you're looking natty. Try not to lose your clothes again, we're running out of spares—and hats!"

Turns back to Spoons. "If you're going to fix us something, you don't need to make a lot. We've been eating and drinking for about three pages, so a light snack will be fine."

Pauses, thinks a bit, then turns to Jacky. "My apologies. Force of habit. It's your ship, you give the orders."

RAKEHELL-1.jpg

Turns back to Spoons. "If you're going to fix us something, you don't need to make a lot. We've been eating and drinking for about three pages, so a light snack will be fine."

Pauses, thinks a bit, then turns to Jacky. "My apologies. Force of habit. It's your ship, you give the orders."

"No apologies necessary, Captain Ransom. As long as ye keep yer orders t' the cook, and aren't lookin' t' start yer own fleet, pirate!"

"Striker I can't believe ye lost more than the shirt off yer back t' Miss St. Claire! Was she pourin' ye drinks, too?"

"Spoons layout some nibbles in the galley, before ye retire, thank ye."

"I am telling you , she is the Devil Incarnate .... cheated me of everything I had on . Which was not much. Since I only had a couple of coins wiyh me for tonight " said Striker while looking at Spoons prepairing a meal.

"Perhaps we can refine the lass Jane, fer ye. I saw ye sup wit' her, her table manners could use some improvin', but she seemed fond of ye. Besides, Ransom sez Tess is not t' be trusted and she is a better judge of her character than I."

"No refining  of anyone . Jane is a free spirit and that she always should be .... Besides we are not looking for anyone , or are we ? " exclaimed Striker while looking at his reflection in the mirror.

Spoons mutters under his breath, "Seems Captain Striker doesn't need a woman and is in love with his own reflection." Then loudly so all can hear, "Cheese, fruit and meats for you all to nosh on, and Sir if I'm not needed good night."

"Perhaps we can refine the lass Jane, fer ye. I saw ye sup wit' her, her table manners could use some improvin', but she seemed fond of ye. Besides, Ransom sez Tess is not t' be trusted and she is a better judge of her character than I."

I shake my head. "No, gents, Jane doesn't need refining. She's just fine the way she is."

Lowers a brow at Striker. "I'd say you're the one that needs a bit of refining, if you're silly enough to gamble with the likes of Tess. She's probably been playing cards since the cradle. Fleeced you like a yealing lamb."

Smiles at Spoons as he sets down the platter. "Thank you, this looks nice."

RAKEHELL-1.jpg

"As I said , Jane needs no refining ! And I am not in love with myself , nor with anybody else " Striker sounded as if he was trying to convince the others as himself " Just looking at a wretched man, broken down to the shell that you see before you " he continued.

portroyalbannerfinalbig-1.gif

always surrounded by shadows , always in the shadow. A spectre he be !

"No refining  of anyone . Jane is a free spirit and that she always should be ....

Turns to Ransom, "Perhaps Jane will keep the Terrier busy?" Again to Striker, "Yer both right lady Jane needs no refinin', and she should be made t' feel welcome here. Do ye know her dress size yet?" Pauses and thinks he should reword that, "I only meant perhaps a dress as a gift, would be in order." Jacky sees that Spoons is chuckling, "Good nite, Spoons. That will be all."

Striker still looks like he is without a friend in the world, "Ye are always welcome here. Eat and rest, ye no good t' anyone like this. By the Bye, yer ship is ready to make sail, and the Relentless is not. I have cargo on the docks which needs to be else where, I could use yer help."

Gives Jacky a penetrating look and a wry smile. "And since when have you appointed yourself dressmaker to the Pub ladies—or should I say, dress provider?"

Looks over at Striker, still wearing clothes also provided by Jacky. Sighs. "Okay, I guess you're an equal opportunity clothes provider."

I pick up a cracker and toss it into my mouth. Trying not to spit crumbs, I ask, "Anything to wash this snack food down with?"

RAKEHELL-1.jpg

Gives Jacky a penetrating look and a wry smile. "And since when have you appointed yourself dressmaker to the Pub ladies—or should I say, dress provider?"

Looks over at Striker, still wearing clothes also provided by Jacky. Sighs. "Okay, I guess you're an equal opportunity clothes provider."

I pick up a cracker and toss it into my mouth. Trying not to spit crumbs, I ask, "Anything to wash this snack food down with?"

Jacky gets up to find a bottle of port, cups, and a pitcher of water. He places them on the table, "Alas, I have no champagne on board. But, if ye becomes a regular guest, that will have t' change."

Scans Ransom's current dress, "Few dress shops here, and too often the lasses dress like lads. Silks and ladies dresses command a good price here!"

Scans Ransom's current dress, "Few dress shops here, and too often the lasses dress like lads. Silks and ladies dresses command a good price here!"

See's Jacky eyeing my less than girly attire.

"Surely, Jacky, you don't expect me to don such flippery! I'd feel like a fish out of water, tripping over skirts and all. The closest I get to women's dress is a bodice. Why, what would me crew say if I came back to the Rakehell looking like...like...a lady! :lol:

Takes the cup of Port. "But I see your point, if you can get a good price for the goods." Gives him a sly grin. "May hap you could charge Tess double, and buy Striker some clothes of his own?"

RAKEHELL-1.jpg

Jacky looks at Ransom and thinks to himself, in the right gown and for the proper occasion you would put Tess to shame.

"No, of course not, can't have ye paradin' around the Rakehell in a dress!" But, he thinks again, that doesn't mean she can't wear a dress aboard the Relentless.

"Striker will be able t' dress like an baron, once he has made a few smart trades. Plenty of work supplin' those here and in Port Royal." Jacky wonders did Striker bet his pistols, too?

:: OC as requested Mr. Tar ::

A filthy lad eyed the fine jacket and accompanying bundle lain carefully on the empty chair. His dull eyes grew bright at the thought of the coin the garment would turn. The fine lady sitting near the bundle remained too wrapped in her cards to take notice of his greedy view. Swift as a cat he darted from his safely dark corner towards the table. His thin arms scooped the bundle easily, thin legs carrying him quickly out the pubs back door.

Jane watched silently from her stool at the bar. She had only just sat down for a drink but her curiosity won over the desire for rum. The coat seemed familiar, though she couldn’t place it from the distance. She swallowed the remains in her glass before following the little thief out the door into the cool evening air. Her feet pounded on the dry dirt road. She dodged the few drunks that staggered on their way to another drink. Up ahead she could see the dirty lad huddled in a dark doorway, still clutching his precious bundle. Jan hurried up near him calling out in a commanding tone.

“You there, boy! Stop!” The lad leapt to his feed but froze in his spot as she neared. Clearly he did not have the instincts of a true thief. “Let me see that jacket boy” Jane demanded, reaching for the fabric clutched in his scrawny arms. He tugged back protectively from her reach. With an annoyed scowl Jane cuffed the obstinate youth on the ear, pulling the garment from his hands.

The boy grabbed at his throbbing ear, tears welling in his eyes. “I found tha free n clear, tis mine I says” Jane could only huff at the boys weak attempt to keep his bounty. The jacket was given a shake & a curious look by her sharp green eyes. It was indeed the garment Jane first thought, though what it was doing without its owner was another question.

“’ere lad.” Three slips of copper flashed in the full moon light. “gev me tha rest o that thar. Now disappear aye” Jane shoved the boy away roughly, gathering up the bundled clothes and returning back down the dark street. As she neared the pub again she approached a scruffy looking man who leaned against an empty barrel. He looked up from his introspection at the sound of her footsteps.

“Pardon sir, ye ‘appen ta see a fella wot, well, um, lacks ‘is trousers?” She laughed lightly, realizing just how silly it was to be hunting for a nude man in the streets of Port Royal.

“Aye lass. I seen ‘im. Drunk as a tinker that’n . Went board tha Relentless he did.” The man nodded down a far pier. Jane turned on her heel, following his line of sight to a dimly lit ship.

“m’ thanks sir.” She winked, slipping a chunk of silver into his rough hand. Unceremoniously the man bit the coin before it disappeared into his waistcoat pocket. Tucking her prize under one arm Jane ventured onto the moonlit dock towards the indicated ship. She was indeed a fine vessel, in need of an overhaul, but still commanding quite a presence. Jane’s eye followed up the height of the masts, taking in a deep breath of the fresh salt air. Her eyes fluttered closed, relishing the cool breeze off the water. She had been on land too long and was beginning to miss the sea and steady work on board the Anna Rae. Perhaps leaving had been a premature choice.

“Ahoy Relentless!” Jane called in a strong voice, stopping just short of the gangplank, turning her attention back to the task at hand.

"If part of the goods be plundered by a pirate the proprietor or shipmaster is not entitled to any contribution." An introduction to merchandize, Robert Hamilton, 1777

Slightly Obsessed, an 18th Century reenacting blog

I see Striker's face light up like a Guy Fawkes bonfire. "Ah, Striker, you love-sick puppy. I believe there will be a fourth joining us for our late night supper." Gives him a once over. "Better put a comb through that hair lad, and wipe the cracker crumbs off your chin." :ph34r:

RAKEHELL-1.jpg

"Stand fast and state yer business!"

The booming response and flash of movement in the shadows aboard the ship haulted Jane’s absent minded humming. She turned her face upwards, directing her voice to the backlit figure leaning over the rail.

“I ‘ave something ‘ere, might be o interest to a Mr. Striker. I understand he be aboard.” Jane didn’t pause enough in her speech to allow a response. “If you’ll be getting ‘im for me then.”

The heavy bundle of clothes was gathered higher in her arms. She felt a wave of nervousness fill her chest. She knew nothing of the ship in front of her, nor its crew. Port Royal was not unlike her home port of New York, large enough and wealthy enough to attract any number of questionable characters. With some effort Jane buried her fear in deep breath of sea air as a commotion began on the ship's deck.

"If part of the goods be plundered by a pirate the proprietor or shipmaster is not entitled to any contribution." An introduction to merchandize, Robert Hamilton, 1777

Slightly Obsessed, an 18th Century reenacting blog