New Crewe member upon this Ship!

Tess St. Claire

Jane didn’t pause in her steps until her feet touched the docks again. The heavy pouch in her hand was already bothering her. She tugged the leather thong open, pulling a single coin before knotting it shut again. The silver disappeared into her sleeve as she began to walk. A short distance later she turned down a cluttered alley where two young boys played at swords with tree branches. They were barefoot and filthy, their hair tangled beyond repair. Neither looked to have seen more than a dozen years.

“Oi! Lads. Ye brothers?” Jane called out causing them to freeze in their mock fight

“Aye M’Lady” the elder stepped towards her with a defensive look.

“ ’ere give this ta yer ma.” In a smooth motion Jane tossed Tar’s pouch at the foot of the older boy. The lad jumped back as if she’d thrown rocks at him. He quickly rebounded when he recognized the clatter of coins. He bent his skinny knees, gathering the bounty with both hands. The younger boy eagerly scrambled forward to peer in the sack with his brother.

“Well go on now!” Jane yelled, shooing them off with her hands. She laughed to herself as they raced off down the street squabbling over who was going to pass the wealth on to their mother. The coin was no longer in her hands but the nagging feeling that something bad would come of it still lingered. She shivered despite the warming morning. With a deep breath Jane turned back down the street, vowing not to dwell on recent mistakes.

"If part of the goods be plundered by a pirate the proprietor or shipmaster is not entitled to any contribution." An introduction to merchandize, Robert Hamilton, 1777

Slightly Obsessed, an 18th Century reenacting blog

• Replies 411
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The eldest of the boys carried their new found wealth home, to present to their mother. They scrambled along the dirty streets and back alleys, until they had arrived home. The boys were out of breath and excited, as they entered the door, they called out for their mother. "Mother, mother... look at our good fortune!" The eldest held out the purse the lady had given them.

Their mother looked over the purse and saw the signet stamp on the bag. She hushed the boys, "This purse belongs t' someone aboard the Relentless! Did ye get it from a crew member of the Relentless?"

The boys knew there were no women crew members aboard the Relentless.

"If ye did not, ye must take it t' the Relentless, and return it. It would be remiss of ye, if ye did not." The boys hung their heads, for they knew see was right. "I will take it t' the Relentless mother", the eldest said.

She lifted the chin of her eldest, and looked him squarely in the eyes, "We have recieved many kindnesses from Mister Tar, since yer father's passin'." She then looked at her son's feet, "Least of which the shoes he left fer ye, where did ye leave them?" The boys were now both embarrassed, and the youngest replied, "Mother forgive us, we were pretended t' be gentlemen of fortune boardin' a Spanish galleon!" She shook her head, "Clean yer selves up, and put on yer shoes. Then take this purse back t' the Relentless."

"Ransom, would ye like more coffee?" Jacky has but to gaze at Ransom, and his calm returns.

After calmly watching Jane all but run off the ship, and Striker"s abrupt departure, I turn to Jacky, "Well, that was interesting, don't you think? Also a bit ungrateful, I'd say. If she continues to let whatever worm is eating away at her, she's going to go all hollow inside. A shame, really, as she seems a nice girl."

I hold out my mug. "Yes, I'll have a bit more, thanks."

...schooners, islands, and maroons

and buccaneers and buried gold...

RAKEHELL-1.jpg

You can do everything right, strictly according to procedure, on the ocean, and it'll still kill you. But if you're a good navigator, a least you'll know where you were when you died.......From The Ship Killer by Justin Scott.

"Well, that's just maddeningly unhelpful."....Captain Jack Sparrow

Found in the Ruins — Unique Jewelry

Found in the Ruins — Personal Blog

Pours some coffee for Ransom, "Well some folks suspect good fortune will always be followed by bad. Jane has no doubt had her share of bad fortune."

"Our Captain Striker needs someone watchin' his back, and Jane may fit that bill." Jacky still looks worried.

I notice Jacky's worried expression. "You think there is a problem? Surely Striker doesn't need a body guard. He seems a man capable if defending himself."

RAKEHELL-1.jpg

You can do everything right, strictly according to procedure, on the ocean, and it'll still kill you. But if you're a good navigator, a least you'll know where you were when you died.......From The Ship Killer by Justin Scott.

"He's a Danish captain, on a plundered Spanish ship, who doesn't play cards well, and may well be walkin' into an ambush at any minute. Aye, I'm worried fer 'em. Not t' mention he'll have t' square wit' his feelin's about Jane and Miss St. Claire." Jacky knows he'll have to come to terms with his own feelings.

I give Jacky an enigmatic smile. "Yes, Striker does have feelings to work out, as, I think, does Jane. Pesky things, feelings. Don't you agree? Poping up where you least expect them."

RAKEHELL-1.jpg

Jacky looks at her mouth, with that smile that says come closer, if you dare. With casual grace, she brushes her hair from her cheek. Is this charm or guile, which is on display?

At that moment, Spoons drops a pot, and the spell is broken. Jacky turns, "Spoons!" Spoons shrugs and bends down to retrieve the pot.

The crashing pot makes me flinch. I glare at Spoons, whose timing was perfect. I'd been sure, at that moment, Jacky meant to kiss me. With a sigh, I go back to sipping my coffee, but inwardly I smile, knowing it's only a matter of time before another moment will arrive.

RAKEHELL-1.jpg

Jacky looked a bit embarrassed, and reliefed. The deversion allowed him to collect his thoughts. The noises and smells of the day, started to awaken his senses. The business at hand, was running a ship and directing her crew.

Jacky turned to Ransom, again, "Care t' take yer drink top side?" Spoons smiled and went about stowing things in the galley.

"No, I don't mind, but you realize, I have a ship of my own to run. I won't be able to stay much longer. The Rakehell will be missing me, and I her."

As I stepped to the rail, the fresh morning breeze caressed my face and caught my hair. I took a deep breath. It's clean scent cleared my head of the last remnants of the previous evenings Champagne.

I turned to Jacky. "Maybe we can arrange to sail our two ship together for a time. Or do you prefer to work alone?"

RAKEHELL-1.jpg

I give Jacky a gentle smile. "So, where do the winds take you this time? Do we have days, or only a few hours to continue enjoying each others company?"

RAKEHELL-1.jpg

I give Jacky a gentle smile. "So, where do the winds take you this time? Do we have days, or only a few hours to continue enjoying each others company?"

"This is our home port, no more long voyages fer the Relentless, fer now. 'Sides I was hopin', when time allows, t' see ye again. Ye will find some time?"

"Well, let's see. You've treated me to an excellent dinner, and a nice breakfast. Seems only fitting I should return the favor. What about dinner on board the Rakehell? I'll get Tsunami Kates to cater, as Goose's cooking would spoil the ambiance."

I step closer to Jacky and give a little grin. "And, except for one lookout who will be assigned to the fighting top, I'll give the crew shore leave. What say you to that, Captain?"

RAKEHELL-1.jpg

The warmth of Jacky's lips on my hand makes my pulse race. I take a deep breath, "Then, let's make it the evening after All Saints Day. Tsunami Kate's is busy with a Halloween party until then."

RAKEHELL-1.jpg

Something had changed. It was a subtle thing-a small withdrawal. With a sad sigh, I nod my head. "You're right. Ships and crew come first."

I handed my empty coffee cup to him, then turned and left the Relentless.

RAKEHELL-1.jpg

I decided to visit the Pub before returning to the Rakehell. As I walked along, I thought about Mr. Tar. Maybe things had gone a little too fast. Had I scared him away? No, I could not have been mistaken about the look in his eyes.

I grinned to myself. "There's no saying that slowing things down a bit, might be just the way to heat them up again later. Besides, I like a good challenge. Some people are worth it.

With a lighter heart, I enter the pub and order my usual.

RAKEHELL-1.jpg

After Ransom has left, Jacky walks back to the galley and slumps into a chair, "Spoons, I would rather have watched this ship burn t' the keel, than watch her leave like that, again. Her expression when I declined her invitation t' the Rakehell, when she left, she never looked back!" Spoons trys to look sympathic, and then picks up a small mirror and thrusts it in Jacky's face. Jacky pushes the mirror away, "I know I'm older and she'll find better!"

An hour later, and with several glasses of champagne under my belt, I leave the Pub to return to the Rakehell. Almost without thinking, I look to the Relentless. I looked for a familier face, but didn't see it.

"Just you wait, Mr. Tar," I whispered into the darkness. "I'm not giving up on us. Not yet."

RAKEHELL-1.jpg

... too many men make fools of themselves, over younger women, that's all."

:blink::blink::lol:;)

RAKEHELL-1.jpg