Ojai Pirate Festival

Pirate Petee

• Replies 205
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well I must say me first time ta Ojai was a blast. I had so much fun and everyone I met were just top notch pirates. Patrick Hand, Red October, Dread Pirate Gregory, Red Handed Jill and Iron Jack are pirates of the up most pirateness, ya couldn't meet a better a better lot o sailors. If I'm forgetting anyone, I am sorry, I am horribly bad with names. Aside from my sinuses on Sunday, the weekend went perfect. Ace, I am glad to hear your lady be on the up an up, I was able ta purchase some books during the auction, which was histarical, ya got a bunch o caring shipmates matey. Diego's BBQ was blast, rum drinkin and a table dancing.

Petee-2.jpg

I'm sure we'll be hearing from other folks as they recover...

Arrr - great group of piratical folks. Diego, I'm sorry to have missed your party. Tales had its own party and Jack and I were exhausted afterwards and partied out. It was great to meet folks that I had previously only knew electronically, so to speak. :) I'm sorry ya missed our cannon firing on Saturday evening. Jack and I have a miniature signal cannon (miniature as in it fits in the palm of the hand) and we were firing it on the shore - it was our first chance to try it out and it performed admirably and provided no end of amusement to the folks who were with us. It was also part of our cannon battery on Sunday.

And although we would have been happier to see Ace on the stage, we had a good time performing on Saturday and Sunday. Don't be looking for a Bloody Scupper Plunder Club CD anytime soon, though... We've gotten requests for t-shirts, so I guess we'll have to start working on those. If you happen to be in the area, we perform at the Duke of Edinburgh pub in Cupertino on Thursday nights.

I have to admit having an issue with one thing at the festival, though. One of the groups performing had an Asian woman manhandling a bodhran. She had the tipper clenched in her fist as if it were a mallet and smacking the drum as if it were a child's tom-tom. As someone who actually knows how to play a bodhran, I gritted my teeth and resisted the impulse to snatch it from her hands. Manhandling an instrument is fine in your own home, but if you're going to perform in public, ya need to learn how to play it properly. Okay, I'll get off my soapbox.

RHJMap.jpg

Ace, tis vera glad I am that yer missus is comin home today! Hip hip huzzah and all that! Ye mite be amused to here ( and soon see the pictures of ) there were about a dozen or more of the blackest-hearted, fendish pyrates ye ever dinna want to meet ,on their knees, heads bowed in prayer for yer lass. :lol::lol:

I hopes to meet ye and yer kin soon. God Bless and stay safe til then!

Scarlet McBayne

" Touch not the Cat without a Sheild " McBayne motto

"red is the Rose in yander garden grows

Fair is the Lily of the Valley"

I have to admit having an issue with one thing at the festival, though. One of the groups performing had an Asian woman manhandling a bodhran. She had the tipper clenched in her fist as if it were a mallet and smacking the drum as if it were a child's tom-tom. As someone who actually knows how to play a bodhran, I gritted my teeth and resisted the impulse to snatch it from her hands. Manhandling an instrument is fine in your own home, but if you're going to perform in public, ya need to learn how to play it properly. Okay, I'll get off my soapbox.

Evening Jill...

I happen to know this *Asian Woman* as you refer to her, quite well.

True enough, her style and tecnique are works in progress. She has only just started playing it you see. She is learning. She's entitled to a learning curve I think you'll agree. :huh:

I think, however it might have been kinder of someone to have come up after a performance if they saw something they could help her improve... and offered her helpful and sincere advice instead of being hurtful and a little insulting in a public venue where anyone might see it. Most Celtic players I know are always more then willing to share their talent and tecnique. :huh:

Believe me, perhaps some bodran players think they are unapprochable and they alone hold the true gift of purcussion but this lass is not one of those. She would have welcomed helpful advice with open arms and a lighter hand if you'd taken the time to talk with her.

That aside she's not so bad as all that since she's played in performance with the Doxie Chics, Capt'n Kula and other's.

I'm just saying that next time you could offer to help a fellow drummer instead of simply thinking badly of her. She's trying to learn and it sounds as if you could have been very helpful in the effort.

okay, I vacate the soapbox to someone else. B)

Well, you may not realize it but your looking at the remains of what was once a very handsome woman!

IronBessSigBWIGT.gif

Yes, I know better than most about the learning curve behind learning the bodhran, having been through it myself and am still on it. Much of what I've learned has been from watching other folks and I've tried to help out newer bodhran players when asked. I've approached enough people with the best intentions of assistance and have had them thrown back at in my face so that I've learned not to approach anyone to help, even cautiously and kindly.

Where I was coming from was that I was told by several people more experienced at this thing than me was that I had better spend a lot of time practicing in private and getting it right before performing publicly. It's a matter of having respect for the instrument and the music. I saw that she had some other drums and I could tell that she was good at maintaining a beat, so there's no question that she knows her way around other drums. It's just that there were a number of other bodhran players at Ojai demonstrating proper technique and it would have been useful for her to spend a few minutes watching them. Her technique would have been very different if she had and if she had asked me to help her out I would happy to go over some things with her and I'm sure the other bodhran players would have as well.

RHJMap.jpg

I've approached enough people with the best intentions of assistance and have had them thrown back at in my face so that I've learned not to approach anyone to help, even cautiously and kindly.

Never give up. She would have been thrilled to have talked with you. I learned years ago from approching snobbish and self effecting sword fighters that A: You cannot be of help to egotists B: Not all people are the same and many people DO want advice.

Where I was coming from was that I was told by several people more experienced at this thing than me was that I had better spend a lot of time practicing in private and getting it right before performing publicly.

Good advice when you have the time. She was pressed into service and has done the best she could. Not that her efforts really need defending.

It's a matter of having respect for the instrument and the music.

Oh I agree. As a swordfighter I absolutely agree. It's ALL about respect. And it was not your advice I took an issue with. It's just the way it was presented. It read as demeaning and a little unkind. ANd I know this woman. To you what looks like some kid beating a Tom Tom is a girl that puts her heart and soul into what she's trying to do. It just seems to me that she didn't need to be trotted out and talked about in public. Indeed, it's all about the respect. Respect for the music, repsect for your weaponry and respect for fellow human beings.

if she had asked me to help her out I would happy to go over some things with her and I'm sure the other bodhran players would have as well.

It might be easy to spot a sword fighter in an audience by the higher grade of weapon they wear but unless you were sitting out there with a Bodhran she'd have no way of know you played one. She has talked with others and listened to advice. She is still learning. No one works with rapier and main gauche at their first lesson.

I'm sure her ability will improve. As a fighter I know you understand that while there is recognized tecnique there is also personal style.

That is what makes it all so interesting.

Well, you may not realize it but your looking at the remains of what was once a very handsome woman!

IronBessSigBWIGT.gif

This year's event at Ojai was tremendous! It was packed on Saturday, though Sunday was a bit lighter.

There were some really good costumes, and Patrick Hand and Red October were dressed as true Bucccaneers. They were great!

Honestly as I was talking with Patrick outside of Tales of the Seven Seas camp, I kept trying to remember who else I knew that would be in that group other than Claire. I'm sorry to have missed those who were there.

But you probably saw me, I was wearing a rather stunning outfit. When I get the pictures downloaded from my camera, you'll recognize me.

I missed the party on Saturday night at Diego and Rummy's camp (who were parked nearby) and did the pot-luck thing with PRP. By time I wandered back to my truck and tent, the party there had died. Geeze it was only 10:30!

Petee you cutie pie, you are so darn tall, my eyeballs come to about your naval! Well hey, low is good.... :huh:

Scarlet, you were lovely as always and teasing the males well. And I know that your tent companion who hopefully will be joining the Pub soon was a total hoot! She and I really hooked up in many ways...... :huh:

Rummy you looked yummy as usual to the guys, and it was funny when we posed together for our busty picture. Man do I feel flat..... :huh:

Boats and I stayed up there Sunday night, and it rained. Good thing we had thrown the tarps over the PRP trailer and the stuff in the bed of my truck. When we got up our tent was dry, but the threat of more rain was ominous. So we broke camp quickly and drove to the showers.

There are actually quite a few people who stay there on Sunday night, cuz they are in the same situation of having to drive many hours to get home.

**Note to Red Handed Jill:

The dear Lady you refer to about the drum is a beginner as Iron Bess has stated. She is extremely friendly and would welcome any help offered. I might add here, she's a LAPD cop. :huh:

Iron Bess, I admit I was too flip and harsh in my comments I have to admit that part of my bias is from one too many persons being demeaning towards drummers and assuming that it is easy and this caused me to be hasty in judgement. And I've seen too many of these people manhandling a perfectly decent instrument. So am I a bit defensive about good drumming? Yep. All I can say is tell your friend that if she can't find someone to show her how to use that bodhran, there are a number of websites that are very good. Also, there were two bodhran players at Ojai besides me and it seemed that at all times at least one of us was playing. If she was shy about asking, just watching someone can be a heck of an education.

Rumba, I saw you a couple of times on Saturday and tried to get your attention, but you disappeared into the crowd both times. Sorry I missed you - your outfit was magnificent. Great hat!

RHJMap.jpg

Well Ojai was awesome for me and damn that pirate petee for getting me into this pirate mess. I LOVE IT!!! I had a great time in Ojai with me and me lady and me shipmates. Just adding more to me costume so I's can fit in with the rest of you nasty folk!!! I hope to meet up with all of you and thanks for the food Diego that was some great Carnitas!!!

:huh:

mysign4leather.jpg

Iron Bess, I admit I was too flip and harsh in my comments I have to admit that part of my bias is from one too many persons being demeaning towards drummers and assuming that it is easy and this caused me to be hasty in judgement. And I've seen too many of these people manhandling a perfectly decent instrument. So am I a bit defensive about good drumming? Yep. All I can say is tell your friend that if she can't find someone to show her how to use that bodhran, there are a number of websites that are very good. Also, there were two bodhran players at Ojai besides me and it seemed that at all times at least one of us was playing. If she was shy about asking, just watching someone can be a heck of an education.

Oh I understand the defensivness and frustration of watching someone fight that is more then a little off the game. I've watched more then one swordsman flop around and brandish a sword like a chicken leg... an insult to their weapon? Certainly. An insult to me personaly? Hmmmm.... no, not really.

Yes, I'll pass along your various suggestions.

I'll tell her they came from a fellow drummer.

I'll not however make a mention of how we came to have this conversation though.....

Here is hoping that when you see her playing again she will be up to a better standard that will set mind's at rest so they can simply enjoy the music. :huh:

IronBessSigBWIGT.gif

ello mates, Patrick Hand I pulled into port about 6:30 pm last night. Twas a fine welcome.....a lightning show that lastest 2 hours and we lost power....hail the size of large marbles.......to live in the mountains...aarrrr.

I be havin such fine memories of this one......ye mates be the best and fine fun too. :huh:

Have some great photos and more on the way.......I be havin to hire a camera wench so's not to be takin away from me's fun.....too much fun. Twas my honor to have met some of ye and looks forward tas meetin more of ye in the future.

Caroleen Cross

Stayin Single....seein double....sleepin tripple

A World without Pirates.......I'd rather be Dead!

Iron Bess - I've figured out why all this happened in the first place. I was wondering why this incident in particular was bugging me and then I did a bit of digging. I recalled something I had seen awhile back on the PRP website: pictures of past events. In a 2004 event are a couple of pictures of her with a bodhran, in one case sitting next to a woman who appears to be playing it properly. Now, my vilification has been based on me commenting on someone who has just recently taken up the instrument and has so far not been given the opportunity to learn it. The photos tell a different story.

From my experience, playing an instrument competently involves three things: time, either opportunity for instruction or demonstration and a respect for the instrument and other musicians who play it. She's had both the time and the opportunity for instruction. At any rate, that's what touched a nerve and brought about my comments.

At any rate, I'm hoping that if she is truly interested in learning how to use that instrument that she will avail herself of all that is out there and next year she'll be playing like a pro.

RHJMap.jpg

Well Ojai was awesome for me and damn that pirate petee for getting me into this pirate mess. I LOVE IT!!! I had a great time in Ojai with me and me lady and me shipmates. Just adding more to me costume so I's can fit in with the rest of you nasty folk!!! I hope to meet up with all of you and thanks for the food Diego that was some great Carnitas!!!

:P

That be a great name, not only because ya be a marine, but cause all the bloody leather ya be wearin. :P:P

Petee-2.jpg

Well...

Petee, Diego,etc. et all...

I will not be able to party like a pirate with you at this wonderous event.

Folks from Tales, hope you all have fun and thank you for the fund-raising that you're doing this weekend.

I will not be making it after all. Not only is my wife not feeling well but she ended up in emergency and will be in the hosptial for a few days.

She had something go wrong with her heart. Her sinus rhythm was all screwed up and her heart rate was incredibly high.

They brought that all back to normal by this morning but now she has severe anemia overnight. They are affraid she's losing blood somewhere.

It's probably something related to her disease and it's now progressing . Same is true of her diabetes apparently.

SO she can use the money for the wheelchair lift that Tales of the Seven Seas will be trying to raise this weekend more than ever.

I hope everyone has a wonderful time.

Have a rum for me will ya?

Ace

I just heard about this. If I had known about this I would have found something to donate to the auction. I hope your wife is better. My thoughts and prayers to all your loved ones.

Red Maria

The Soul of Indecency

Avast thar me mateys! I had me a fine time in Ojai, and I'm still daydreamin' of rum, gunpowder, and good times.

Here be my lil' "log" of the event.

As some o' ye know, Ace had offered ter offer me passage ter the lil' Spanish, lakeside town o' Casitas on Friday...but that didn't quite work out as planned (I want no apologies, Ace...we'll play soon. No ill feelin's from any o' us, you know that! Glad to hear things be goin' better now).

So, I commandeered a small, gunmetal skiff and sailed through tempest until I arrived at 7pm. I checked in and was greeted by me mates of Tales of the Seven Seas. We partied and prepared fer the following days and then I stumbled on ter a gawdy pink inn near Casitas in the sleepy village of Oak View.

The weekend was one of the most amazin' I've had fer some time. With some negotiatin' and friend-makin', I managed ter acquire a baldric and fur felt hat from the local craftspeople. Then it was a day of stalkin' the locals, and duelin' wit me fellow pirates. I was honored ter meet many of ye who made it (Rumba Rue....my you were surprised when I told you who I were...lol) Got ter meet Petee...who knew he'd tower over ol' Redd by a mere inch or two...lol! Hats off ter me mates from T.O.S.S. (esp. Terry who let me invade his camp on many an occasion...who knew a lil' midget could lift a 6'+ cove like mesself...lol) I even participated in the battles as a musketeer, pickin' off English and Spanish alike. Nothin' like smokin' cheroot and firing blackpowder (just not at the same time...whew).

I'm even considerin' makin' & sellin' distressed buccaneer coats, as at least six people asked it I would make them a similar coat ter me new, brown, "Robert Newton" buccaneer coat. hmmmm....still thinkin' though.

Hats off to all who participated and came, I heard from MANY that this was one of the best years yet!

Now...off I go back ter me landlubber occupation - daydreamin' of lucious bellydancers, drinkin' till the wee hours of the night while singing shanties, and velvet dresses....ahem....nevermind.

REDD.jpg

YARRR! The Oktober be silent now! Just call me "REDD!"

Iron Bess - I've figured out why all this happened in the first place.  I was wondering why this incident in particular was bugging me and then I did a bit of digging.  I recalled something I had seen awhile back on the PRP website:  pictures of past events.  In a 2004 event are a couple of pictures of her with a bodhran, in one case sitting next to a woman who appears to be playing it properly.  Now, my vilification has been based on me commenting on someone who has just recently taken up the instrument and has so far not been given the opportunity to learn it.  The photos tell a different story.

From my experience, playing an instrument competently involves three things:  time, either opportunity for instruction or demonstration and a respect for the instrument and other musicians who play it.  She's had both the time and the opportunity for instruction.  At any rate, that's what touched a nerve and brought about my comments.

At any rate, I'm hoping that if she is truly interested in learning how to use that instrument that she will avail herself of all that is out there and next year she'll be playing like a pro.

I'm finding this whole thing a little sad... meaning it makes me feel bad that anyone would feel they have a justification to be publicly mean about someone they know nothing about.

Please understand, I don't care one bit about your opinion about how she plays. I really don't. It's your opinion and your entitled to it with a full heart. It's what makes America great, right? It means nothing to me. What does bother me, is that you were so unkind about how you presented it. THAT Is my issue with all this.

Your posting those comments about her are no differnt than if I had posted somthign like this about you:

"It was a wonderful Faire except that I have one issue about something I saw and it's really annoying me.

I watched this sword demonstration and there was this caucasian chick that was wielding a sword... She had it in such a death grip that I felt terrible for the grip! She was slashing it this way and that as if she were playing some kids Captain Hook game in her back yard. I'm sorry, I've been working with swords for over 45 years and it was all I could do to keep from running out there and yanking it out of her hand. How dare she treat a sword like that! If she wants to show her lack of skill at home and in her own back yard that's one thing, but people ought to be bright enought to know that they should learn what they are doing before trying to do it in public. I was embarressed for every sword fighter I know!"

Of course I would never post anything like that. I wouldn't know you, your skill level , your training history or if you have some other sort of condition that prevented you from fighting in what is considered a reg. technique. However... it might just be your *style* of fighting and in that case, you have every right to fight as you wish. Who am I to tell you differnt?

It's been my experience that nothing is written in stone. There is no *one way* to do anything. If she's comfortable with her death grip, so what? Maybe she's not had the time you seem to think she should have been spending to dedicate to the drum at this point but I'm not going to tell her that you think she ought to be better by now becasue you saw some picture of her taken awhile ago and you think she's had long enough to learn. You have no idea what is going on her life. Oft times there is not the time to study as you might like. That should not make her a target for public insults.

All the advice in the world means little if it comes from anomosity or being looked down on. I know, I had my share while I was learning. It helped me realize that being a little understanding goes a longer way. That.... and working with incredable egotists all day everyday at the Disney Studios. I've seen some pretty mean things (And no, I am not comparing this to those)

As I said before, I'll pass along your advice. :lol:

IronBessSigBWIGT.gif

Iron Bess thank for the New Providence encore on Saturday, I was bummed that I missed the show. Let everyone know that I said they rocked as always. The only good thing about catching it at the end was that I didn't get any of those songs stuck in my head. :lol:

Damn they are catchy.

(Chuckle) Ahhh.... right kind you are Petee, and it's always a JOY to see you sitting up front. (We know you're always handy to abuse when a song calls for it!)

And how good to see you're lovely wench too! Hope we see more of her next time 'round... needs to spend more time in camp shne does!

Thanks Petee, here's too you lad :lol:

:lol:

IronBessSigBWIGT.gif

On a similar tack to 'Bess, ....In another life I came to California with a guitar slung over my shoulder....Man, everybody and their brother was a guitar player when I got here!!....That said, it was a long tough road eeking out a livin' as a professional guitarslinger, so....Personally, most everyone I run into is a 'hack' with a guitar,but...because learning is a lifelong path no matter what the venue, I also ran a jam session publicly to give all those 'hacks' somewhere to express themselves and move forward.....I'd seldom raise a critical voice on skill, mebbee comp or tone, but....'Tis the same with sailtraining....no one 'knows the ropes' when they step aboard.....keep an open mind and a closed trap, eh?? :lol:

(We know you're always handy to abuse when a song calls for it!)

And how good to see you're lovely wench too! Hope we see more of her next time 'round... needs to spend more time in camp shne does!

Thanks Petee, here's too you lad :lol:

:lol:

Ya be welcome.

Aye, thats what I be there for.

Next time I'll pull her in with me.

Cheers :lol::lol:

Petee-2.jpg

Sorry me lagging arse is so slow to gets the needed amounts of coverage here but blow me down! I gots ta tells ye all about a certain amount a fun that nere say ever gotsta outa the reeds! (nuff said) Huge smashing huge fun time and quite the gathering too much fun did in fact cause me to miss the social gatherings of Sunday though me commitment to gate went as promised. Fer me arse it were dragging. TO: the many of you well documented as having been thar and gone unmet. Me begs forgivness to you. Gary you actually look pretty decent in mondanes (sneakin in like ye did) Red handed Jill and Redd and Leatherneck, more than saddened to find we were so close and gone unmet..... jes means I'll be 'aving ta looks ye all up on the next round eh? Petee yer crew is a blast each and every one of em are worth the rope ta hang them with. Rumba and Boats ye both be perfection! Caroleen, Patrick Hand and Black Orchid well met, well met indeed and the cooked (in period lamb roast and the gathering of veggies ahhhh! well done indeed). Scarlet your all right girl (mostly). Rummy ye have all me love, alls of it. Tas the rest a ya fine examples of pyratage gathered grammercy. Ace (as I left early Friday and only heard of yer sitiation as it were unfolding and the likes) Our prayers they were with ye.. I bought a couple things at the auction and were happy to find out it were going to you and yours. In fact we all took a minute during the BBQ and gave our strengths to your needs.... another time me ole son... another time. Pictures be in the works.

Love begins with a smile, grows with a kiss, and ends with a knife in your back.

:huh: Aye! more pictures please! will post the ones I have in a bit. Be tavelin ta Patricks ta give him a Hand LOL...need to be unloadein the gear....aaarrrrr....TO MUCH! But soooo worth it. :lol:

Caroleen Cross

Stayin Single....seein double....sleepin tripple

A World without Pirates.......I'd rather be Dead!