Ojai Pirate Festival

Pirate Petee

• Replies 205
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't recall that there was any real wind, so there was nothing to fill the sails. Motoring was the only way to go that day - well, towing was the only way to go that day.

If it rained on Monday, which reports for members said it did, then a low pressure system would have been moving into the area on Saturday and Sunday. Therefore, there would have been wind.

Also, a 15ft with 6 sails does not need that much wind to sail on a mountain lake. You can't do a cannon battle, sail and have 5 adults on board, but you could sail back to the dock. Unless you wanted to spend more time with the 3 lovely lasses trapped on yer boat. :angry:

~Black Hearted Pearl

The optimist expects the wind. The pessimist complains about the wind. The realist adjusts the sails.

I still say, "That is why you never...ever wa"r"sh you Pyrate ship........... they shrink...... :angry: "

Aye, I love it. That'll be my excuse for Scraping By's size (14ft 2in). I'm pirating yer saying. :huh:

~Black Hearted Pearl

The optimist expects the wind. The pessimist complains about the wind. The realist adjusts the sails.

Huzzah indeed!

SOooo....I take it their numbers were good enough to bring on another year? It's nice to hear of success with something as special as the Ojai Pirate Faire.

LOVE the new picture Redd... :)

And we did at least meet Vicariously while you were posing in from of our encampment. I was the lass dressed in sage green with the huge puppy on her lap that was having such a hoot watching you. :huh:

Next time lad, next time!! :angry:

Well, you may not realize it but your looking at the remains of what was once a very handsome woman!

IronBessSigBWIGT.gif

:ph34r:

LOVE the new picture Redd... 

And we did at least meet Vicariously while you were posing in from of our encampment. I was the lass dressed in sage green with the huge puppy on her lap that was having such a hoot watching you. 

Next time lad, next time!! 

By Lucifer's Beard! I remember ye...and the pup! That were a fun time posing fer Richard Becker...hopefully I kin score them pic's from him sometime.

Well, like ye said, next time we'll meet more directly.

REDD.jpg

YARRR! The Oktober be silent now! Just call me "REDD!"

I can honestly attest to the fact there was no wind to speak of during the whole weekend. So sailing without a motor was a problem.

Secondly, since I did spend Sunday night up there it did rain, but more like passing thundershowers, drying in between. Most likely it did rain for longer periods after I left Ojai and was headed home.

Thirdly, I've gone to many, many Ojai events, spring and fall and none had the crowds that were there as this event did. Goodness it was absolutely packed on Saturday! On Sunday lighter, but I think most of the vendors did well, or at least those whose prices were within the reason of those who could afford anything.

I did come across some vendors whose products were way over the sky and to the moon with their price tags. (geesh who the hell would pay over $200.00 for a clay-made bottle with a cute design? Certianly not any of the people at that faire!)

I've never seen so many piratical outfits in one place. Some were really good (aw shucks, someone had to do it :ph34r: ) and others were quite questionable. But everybody had fun no matter what!

Well I've got about three weeks to finish up making my wares to sell at the Escondido Faire, but I'm taking it easy until then. :ph34r:

Does anyone have any pics of the battle on Sunday? We had so much fun doing the firing line but my camera didn't work so I don't have any photos :( TOT7S - Sorry I didn't get to come by and talk to you guys much. I had internal errors to be dealing with. - Pandora - POTBS :(

Men are like a deck of cards - You need a heart to love them, a diamond to marry them, a club to beat them and a spade to bury the bastards.

Does anyone have any pics of the battle on Sunday? We had so much fun doing the firing line but my camera didn't work so I don't have any photos :( TOT7S - Sorry I didn't get to come by and talk to you guys much. I had internal errors to be dealing with. - Pandora - POTBS :(

Happy birthday next Monday lass!

Love begins with a smile, grows with a kiss, and ends with a knife in your back.

Here are a few pictures from the battle. It was a bit of a melee, so I think it was a bit tough to take pictures. These are mostly of the cannon battery.

DSCN9978.jpg

Is that a Mortuary hilted sword in the bottom picture?? :o

I love those :o

Well, you may not realize it but your looking at the remains of what was once a very handsome woman!

IronBessSigBWIGT.gif

Yeah sure is. It looks like the one you picked up a couple of years ago at Fireblood.

Well... I was asking Jill but thank you. :o

IronBessSigBWIGT.gif

That'll teach me to be slow in replying.

Jack and I have thought about getting a couple of those. How has yours held up?

It's held up really well. Better then I suspected it would.

I use it in teaching and have used it several shows. Real sturdy and the blade can take quite a beating without much damage. My students find the grip comfortable and even though it's a basket hilt, it does not restrict your wrist movement too much which I appreciate.

It also cleans up well with the rust eraser as the blade tends to darken if it's left out of it's scabbard for any length of time.

The highest quality? Not on your life but for a work-a-day sword it's pretty nice.

How's it working for you? :P

IronBessSigBWIGT.gif