Random Thoughts

Blackfoot

No, instead, I'll give you words of advice from a wise fellow...

When in the arena,

Yield not to an aggressor.

When outside the arena,

Affirm compassion.

This world and this society are competitive. Tao uses the metaphor of the warrior to meet that competition. Warriors never yield to their opponents. They may sidestep, but they do not give way.

Whether you are a lawyer, police officer, fire fighter, doctor, businessperson, athlete, or any one of numerous other professions, you compete against either other people or natural forces. But there is a right way and a wrong way to compete. Avoid anger and greed. Use concentration and awareness.

Coincidentally, concentration and awareness are also necessary for spirituality. That is why the follower of Tao incorporates the way of the warrior into training. The warrior and the sage both seek to transcend emotion and petty thinking, to perfect themselves, and to live lives of the deepest truth.

But when outside the arena, do not forget to be kind. Leave behind competitive aggression. You must still have awareness, concentration, and reflex, but the expression will be different. Your compassion must not falter. That is why the combination of the way of the warrior with the way of Tao is the ultimate symbol of versatility. Such a follower of Tao commands the extremes of the universe.

My Home on the Web

The Pirate Brethren Gallery

Dreams are the glue that holds reality together.

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Very interesting, but how does one actually judge the boundaries of the arena?

"I being shot through the left cheek, the bullet striking away great part of my upper jaw, and several teeth which dropt down the deck where I fell... I was forced to write what I would say to prevent the loss of blood, and because of the pain I suffered by speaking."~ Woodes Rogers

Crewe of the Archangel

http://jcsterlingcptarchang.wix.com/creweofthearchangel#

http://creweofthearchangel.wordpress.com/

Apropos of nearly nothing, some of the above reminds me of a favored quote...

"It is not the critic who counts, not the man who points out how the strong man stumbled, or where the doer of deeds could have done better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood, who strives valiantly, who errs and comes short again and again, who knows the great enthusiasms, the great devotions, and spends himself in a worthy cause, who at best knows achievement and who at the worst if he fails at least fails while daring greatly so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who know neither victory nor defeat."

–Theodore Roosevelt

"You're supposed to be dead!"

"Am I not?"

gallery_1929_23_24448.jpg

I have always thought the Toastmasters philosophy on public speaking (which is similar to the Dale Carnegie philosophy) was very good. When you learn to speak effectively in public, you build your self-confidence and often begin to improve yourself in other ways as well. (And now we've come full circle - one way to help reduce insecurity is to learn to speak publicly. For whatever reason, most people who are willing to get up and speak in front a group and can do so effectively are assumed to be more intelligent (whether rightly or wrongly is another debate).)

Not to poke any one with a stick, but isn't that a form of false confidence? Or am I interlacing confidence with ego(self)?

Some have the the false thinking that what they do at their job or even how much money they have(I always wondered why the rich kids in school thought they were so hot shite-they didn't earn the money but acted like they did)has any thing to do with their make-up. A little shallow don't you think? Am I over analyzing? Hmmm...

I made my living as a road musician up until I was in my mid 30s. As a frontman and figurehead, it takes a heightened awareness of how others perceive you. The personality baloon was something I had to blow up by myself from relative parts of myself. It was my job and I did it well. Because I can do that or know the clockwork of it didn't build my confidence or ascend any haughty stairs to self awareness. I preached constantly to the others the importance of keeping their head on straight. We've all paid cover charge at one tyme or another. Welcome to your life: pay the man at the door as you're going in. The ability to be truely objective about yourself is a strong and, I think, perpetual tool.

Back to point. I'd like to believe that not everyone needs a 'something' to prop themselves up, though a valid point can be made in the 'addiction' references previosly mentioned as there are those who haven't built the ability to cope/grow without their choice of altering substance. Don't get me wrong, I love to drink and enjoy myself, but does it get me through the day or make me 'better'? Does it 'fix' me? Nay, nay and nay. Maybe those 'props' and 'crutches' are just a little harder to see in some. I hate the disappointment of meeting a person who really has it together and finding out little by little they're a train wreck. Confident, but a train wreck. Go figure.

I guess the point I'm barely making is that most people I've known who weild the swagger with reckless abandon and put everything on the shelf to peacock usually have some very strange demons dancing with the skeletons in their closet.

I think there's a much finer line between confidence and insecurity than most think.

Jest me 'pinion, mates.

Who do I give this soapbox back to?

Fate, I've found as o' late, has raised its ugly head ta' redeem ih'self.......

Carefully? Individually? On a case by case basis? Sometimes even after the fact? At which point apologies are made? Can one judge the boundaries of a metaphor? Is it soup yet?

:lol:

My Home on the Web

The Pirate Brethren Gallery

Dreams are the glue that holds reality together.

Carefully? Individually? On a case by case basis? Sometimes even after the fact? At which point apologies are made? Can one judge the boundaries of a metaphor? Is it soup yet?

:lol:

I can not tell ye where those boundaries lie, but I can tell ye do not bring the arena home.

Not to poke any one with a stick, but isn't that a form of false confidence? Or am I interlacing confidence with ego(self)? ... The ability to be truely objective about yourself is a strong and, I think, perpetual tool.

That's a very valid point, but I think that a lot of us tend to cover our light with a bushel. "Objective" is the operative word. For every flamboyant rooster brandishing his braggadocio at the podium, there are a thousand who chiefly hope to escape notice, and thereby badly sell themselves short. I don't think that teaching someone how to stand up and smile instead of hiding is necessarily going to turn him into a braggart.

Well, I've only about 10 minutes to answer this and I could use 30 (or 3 hours or a month...)

Interesting thought 1: Some psychologists have discovered that not only do our faces reflect our emotions, but it also works backwards. To wit, our emotions can reflect our faces. In other words, if you smile, you feel better. They've done several studies on this. Ergo, if you want a trait

Interesting thought 2: If you want a trait that you do not have (or, more appropriately, do not perceive yourself to have), it works similarly. I don't know of any studies on this (point of fact: I haven't researched it) but I have seen it. If you are a coward who wants to be brave, you must first believe yourself to be brave. Is it lying to yourself? I don't know. Our brains are very complex tools. Tools!. You cannot work effectively with a tool unless you're willing to experiment with it.

Interesting thought 3: If an action fires off positive neurons in your brain that enable you to do what you could not do before and the action is positive, does it matter what it took to do that? (I don't know. It's just an interesting thought. I have done it to good effect, myself.)

Interesting thought 4: There is a big difference between fooling yourself that you're doing and doing.

Interesting thought 5: Arrogance is a negative trait, not a postitive one. But what is the definition of arrogance? An on-line dictionary says this: "overbearing pride evidenced by a superior manner toward inferiors." This seems entirely different than gaining confidence in yourself by standing up and speaking. (BTW, the intelligence comment was not meant to imply that you become more intelligent by standing up & speaking. It was more of an encouragement to people to take up public speaking.)

Interesting thought 6: "Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond imagination. It is our light more than our darkness which scares us. We ask ourselves – who are we to be brilliant, beautiful, talented, and fabulous. But honestly, who are you to not be so?" - Marianne Williamson

Sorry that's so long. If I had more time, it would be much shorter.

"You're supposed to be dead!"

"Am I not?"

gallery_1929_23_24448.jpg

Not to poke any one with a stick, but isn't that a form of false confidence? Or am I interlacing confidence with ego(self)? ...  The ability to be truely objective about yourself is a strong and, I think, perpetual tool.

That's a very valid point, but I think that a lot of us tend to cover our light with a bushel. "Objective" is the operative word. For every flamboyant rooster brandishing his braggadocio at the podium, there are a thousand who chiefly hope to escape notice, and thereby badly sell themselves short. I don't think that teaching someone how to stand up and smile instead of hiding is necessarily going to turn him into a braggart.

I sort of agree with you both, gentlemen. In much of what I learned in public speaking (in high school and college), I learned the process of a presentation, and how to effectively speak in front of a group. From cohorts and friends, I was taught how to make the audience feel a certain way when taking part in my presentations (via dress, emoting, the right visuals, etc). Do I use the latter things I've learned when presenting? If I feel I need to convey something specific, given the type of audience, I do. I tend to use humor, straight-forwardness and peaceful, low key behavior when I'm up at the front. Visualizing that prior to doing so tends to bring me even more into "the zone", though in real life I tend to be the same way.

Just as a side note, I discovered (via my doctor) a few years back that my discomfort with public speaking was physiological, and not actual fear. :)

Interesting thoughts, Caraccioli. Yah know, #1 was touted alot at my job at a mutual fund company. "Smile when you talk to a coworker, a customer, etc, and they will hear it." It does work, and got me through many a 16 hour work day...though I haven't tried it after a colosally crummy day.

Perhaps we'll meet again under better circumstances. ---(---(@

Dead Men...Tell No Tales.

Welcome, Foolish Mortals...

Jerry Seinfeld had a pretty good monologue about public speaking. He said that more people are scared of public speaking than they are of death. Which means that at a funeral, more people would prefer to be the person in the casket than the one giving the eulogy.

RHJMap.jpg

;)

I can not tell ye where those boundaries lie, but I can tell ye do not bring the arena home.

I might not want to bring the "fighting" part home but what goes on in the arena is often brought home to be discussed, vented, ect, with the Far Better Half, who always goes out of the way to assist, encourage, correct or guide... works wonders for me...

"I being shot through the left cheek, the bullet striking away great part of my upper jaw, and several teeth which dropt down the deck where I fell... I was forced to write what I would say to prevent the loss of blood, and because of the pain I suffered by speaking."~ Woodes Rogers

Crewe of the Archangel

^ cheers to teh far better halves

random thought o day no exam should last 7 and half hours but made it though the challege

TO A NEW DAY ;)

Mud Slinging Pyromanic , Errrrrr Ship's Potter at ye service

Vagabond's Rogue Potter Wench

First Mate of the Fairge Iolaire

Me weapons o choice be lots o mud, sharp pointy sticks, an string

The power to read people's minds when I wanted to.

Crewe of the Archangel

;) Heh Heh.. ;)

Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help....

Her reputation was her livelihood.

I'm a pirate, love. By nature and by choice!

My inner voice sometimes has an accent!

My wont? A delicious rip in time...

oh Captain Satan that's a lot nicer than the "if you were a mathematical property, what would you be" question.

Let see, I want time travel but have had the discussion with others that that doesn't count as a super power & instead is a super technology (like batman's belt etc)

So I think I'll take morphing. The ability to change my appearance in any way at any time. Totally selfish & probably useless, but it'd be fun.

(I'd be the transitive property BTW ;) )

"If part of the goods be plundered by a pirate the proprietor or shipmaster is not entitled to any contribution." An introduction to merchandize, Robert Hamilton, 1777

Slightly Obsessed, an 18th Century reenacting blog

The power to understand what people actually mean.

What their intentions are.

Ye may find that they don't know wot their intentions are.

True, very true but at least I would know where they are coming from. ...even if they don't understand!

The power to understand what people actually mean.

What their intentions are.

I spend a lot of energy,unfortunately,on this. Further unfortune is actually eventually finding out. This superpower,I fear,would drive its possessor starkers. Just reading between the lines is probably healthier.

My choice would be the ability to tyme travel,but being able to hodge podge different pieces of history together into one destination. You know, big Victorian house, a brigantine in the harbour,spaceship in the garage and a dinosaur in the back yard. Oh yeah, and lots of lava lamps around the house.

Fate, I've found as o' late, has raised its ugly head ta' redeem ih'self.......

Wow now that sounds like fun!!

Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help....

Her reputation was her livelihood.

I'm a pirate, love. By nature and by choice!

My inner voice sometimes has an accent!

My wont? A delicious rip in time...

Super power eh? I don't have to wear a silly costume will I? Because I already do that at Faire.

Okay....to be able to read women's minds and translate.

Here's ta' swimmin' wit' loose limbed women....

Iffen ah'm drunk ta' tha' brink, do prop me up, me darlin'...

But iffen ah'm anywhere near bein' sober ta' me gills, do buy me a drink!