Random Thoughts

Blackfoot

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you are going to be hard on someone, best be hard on yourself first. Then... your kids next, just so they grow up to be decent people!

:lol:

Rum? Bed? Rum? Bed? Rum? Bed?

Tough decision...

I certainly agree with the kids idea... only gets tougher as they grow, just balance the toughness with lots of love... bed? too early, opt for the rum...

"I being shot through the left cheek, the bullet striking away great part of my upper jaw, and several teeth which dropt down the deck where I fell... I was forced to write what I would say to prevent the loss of blood, and because of the pain I suffered by speaking."~ Woodes Rogers

Crewe of the Archangel

http://jcsterlingcptarchang.wix.com/creweofthearchangel#

http://creweofthearchangel.wordpress.com/

It's not so much being tough on kids, but being consistent, IMO.

Random: Darn it, someone yanked the thread off my lucet & I can't get it going again. :lol: I was half way finished too & now I've got to start all over!!!! I'm not happy.

"If part of the goods be plundered by a pirate the proprietor or shipmaster is not entitled to any contribution." An introduction to merchandize, Robert Hamilton, 1777

Slightly Obsessed, an 18th Century reenacting blog

Random: Darn it, someone yanked the thread off my lucet & I can't get it going again. :huh: I was half way finished too & now I've got to start all over!!!! I'm not happy.

:huh::lol: I have absolutely no idea what you're talking about! :huh: What is a lucet, and what happens when you yank the thread off?

...schooners, islands, and maroons

and buccaneers and buried gold...

RAKEHELL-1.jpg

You can do everything right, strictly according to procedure, on the ocean, and it'll still kill you. But if you're a good navigator, a least you'll know where you were when you died.......From The Ship Killer by Justin Scott.

"Well, that's just maddeningly unhelpful."....Captain Jack Sparrow

Found in the Ruins — Unique Jewelry

Found in the Ruins — Personal Blog

Sorry, was I speaking "Chole" again? :huh:

a lucet is a U shaped "thing" that you use to weave/knot a square cord.

lucet.jpg

lucet_cord_cu.jpg

The cord is really strong & useful in random places (like the stay lacing that I never have enough of). When it comes off the two horns, well, it unravels :lol: Especially frustrating when you've spent several hours making a 2 yard cord & have to start all over again!

"If part of the goods be plundered by a pirate the proprietor or shipmaster is not entitled to any contribution." An introduction to merchandize, Robert Hamilton, 1777

(Yep, the goddess o' cool, has sent Jacky Googlin', again.)

:huh:

You'd better watch who you say that around Jacky. It could be taken completely wrong!

You'd better watch who you say that around Jacky. It could be taken completely wrong!

Jacky has a thing for goddesses. :huh: Er, he used to, anyways. :)

RAKEHELL-1.jpg

You can do everything right, strictly according to procedure, on the ocean, and it'll still kill you. But if you're a good navigator, a least you'll know where you were when you died.......From The Ship Killer by Justin Scott.

Jacky has a thing for goddesses. :huh: Er, he used to, anyways. :)

Alright, let me reword that...

Chole is the goddess o' cool period gadgets (i.e., Betty Lamps, lucets, etc...) All ye hav t' do is read Chole when she's speakin' Chole speak, an it can send ye Googlin' fer hours.

It wasn't the "goddess" comment but the googling comment. Watch going around telling people I inspire "googling". It could be taken *wrong* :huh:

:lol: Is googling worse than oogling?

RAKEHELL-1.jpg

Now yer just given ol' Jacky a hard time (don't read into it).

Sides if Chole caught me ooglin' her, she might drop the foam cudgel, an hit Jacky wit' some period weapon; which I couldn't Google fast enough, t' find a defense against.

Wasn't readin' nuthing into it. Just joking a bit. Google away. :lol:

RAKEHELL-1.jpg

Why is some people rarely practice what they preach and yet they blast everyone for not living up to the standards that they don't even strive for?

You enter the realm of what motivates people to do one thing yet say another. I'm sure we've all done this at one time or another. Look inside yourself, see if you've ever done that, then ask yourself what your motive was. It might be similar to what motivates this person... or not. And just because someone preaches something yet does another thing, if they thing preached is valid, it is valid no matter what the motivation of the preacher. And... hell, everyone is human. Everyone makes mistakes.

For whatever reason, we seem to be built with an dash of incongruency. It's baked in and disguised so well that we often don't even realize when we're being incongruent. Our mind is structured so that we either don't recognize it, or, if we do, we create elaborate reasons to explain why two clearly incompatible ideas that we hold actually make sense.

On a (somewhat) related note, I was recently talking to someone about the problems related to insecurity. As I see it, much misbehavior and animosity seems to stem from a personal feeling of lack of self-worth. It takes many forms. Some people seem to feel the need to brag and grandstand, others to berate other people (to elevate their self worth in comparison), others to do things to excess to prove their self-worth (work, make money, achieve and every other "positive" addictive behavior you can name), others to find ways to hide from themselves (drinking, smoking, drugs, lying and every other negative addictive behavior you can name), others to involve themselves in other people's business ("THEY need fixing..."), others to falsely accuse people of things, still others to engage in classification and delineation or the creation of "-isms" (in whatever form this takes: racism, homophobia, sexism, etc.) and so forth.

So how do we solve a self-inflicted, intensely person problem like this? (I don't have an answer. It's one reason I like to write a monthly newsletter on success concepts and try to teach people how much potential they have through trainings. Not that I don't have my own share of insecurities, mind...)

"You're supposed to be dead!"

"Am I not?"

gallery_1929_23_24448.jpg

OOh so many goode posts here and I haven't time to read right now...

Have to go down into the terminal amongst the rabble today.... :lol:

Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help....

Her reputation was her livelihood.

I'm a pirate, love. By nature and by choice!

My inner voice sometimes has an accent!

My wont? A delicious rip in time...

It's not so much being tough on kids, but being consistent, IMO.

Good call. I'd say consistent is very important, in fact, more important than tough. I only say tough because from experience I know my two boys be will push the limits.

My Home on the Web

The Pirate Brethren Gallery

Dreams are the glue that holds reality together.

On a (somewhat) related note, I was recently talking to someone about the problems related to insecurity. As I see it, much misbehavior and animosity seems to stem from a personal feeling of lack of self-worth. It takes many forms. Some people seem to feel the need to brag and grandstand, others to berate other people (to elevate their self worth in comparison), others to do things to excess to prove their self-worth (work, make money, achieve and every other "positive" addictive behavior you can name), others to find ways to hide from  themselves (drinking, smoking, drugs, lying and every other negative addictive behavior you can name), others to involve themselves in other people's business ("THEY need fixing..."), others to falsely accuse people of things, still others to engage in classification and delineation or the creation of "-isms" (in whatever form this takes: racism, homophobia, sexism, etc.) and so forth.

Interesting and valid points all, Car, though I wonder often if the isms are so black and white. Both indifference and lack of pertenant knowledge influence reaction. Why are homophobes so enraged by the 'alternate' lifestyles? It's simple to discount such behavior as a 'threat' or the cliche 'threatening one's sexuality'. How about someone just having,quite simply,a different point of view? I don't get why the 'alternates' are the way they are. I don't hate them for it, or wanna beat the shite out of them every tyme I see such lifestyle(of course,someone laying a hand on my wife is a different matter and would prompt such 'irrational' behavior). I,simply put,

just don't get their choice of it. My thinking is 'why would I want to be with a guy when I can be with a gorgous female'? Does that,under present reactive pigeonholing make me a homophobe? I just shake my head and go on. Though I must say,theoretically, in a sole 'banquet of life' mentality I could see someone swinging both ways, though the burden both socially and 'morally'(whatever that is)is a heavy load in these so-called 'modern' tymes. Welcome to the future,now go home. Of course, with the climate so dangerous disease wise(AIDS,etc)there may be plenty out there that would experiment otherwise. Who knows. Same with racism. Is it a race issue or just dislike for unsocial behavior? Deeds say a lot about a person regardless of 'race'. I hate even distinguishing the difference by use of the word. Adds to the fire I think. How about just 'person'.

I've often wondered also about the whole 'insecurity issue' bit. Most have been accused of such at tymes. It seems an all too convenient brand at tymes. "He/she is just insecure." Is being full aware of certain dynamics around you and stressed to the max about them make you an 'insecure person'? Does that make both insight and intuition bad things? Wouldn't simple worry and any yearning put you in the insecure box under those guidelines? We've all heard the phrases 'codependent' and 'addictive personality' and seen the extreme examples of them. Isn't the guy relentlessly amassing a fortune from others' tithes and pledges some kind of deviant addict? What about the person who worships the ground their spouse walks on, or the one who dolts and pedastals their children? Addicts? Is the word solely detrimental? Lotta gray in there I think.

I like reading your posts. Good rounded insight.

Fate, I've found as o' late, has raised its ugly head ta' redeem ih'self.......

Stay away from the jetblue crowd... they are ready to mutiny!

Aye the press is already here..

Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help....

Her reputation was her livelihood.

I'm a pirate, love. By nature and by choice!

My inner voice sometimes has an accent!

My wont? A delicious rip in time...

On a (somewhat) related note, I was recently talking to someone about the problems related to insecurity. As I see it, much misbehavior and animosity seems to stem from a personal feeling of lack of self-worth. It takes many forms. Some people seem to feel the need to brag and grandstand, others to berate other people (to elevate their self worth in comparison), others to do things to excess to prove their self-worth (work, make money, achieve and every other "positive" addictive behavior you can name), others to find ways to hide from themselves (drinking, smoking, drugs, lying and every other negative addictive behavior you can name), others to involve themselves in other people's business ("THEY need fixing..."), others to falsely accuse people of things, still others to engage in classification and delineation or the creation of "-isms" (in whatever form this takes: racism, homophobia, sexism, etc.) and so forth.

So how do we solve a self-inflicted, intensely person problem like this? (I don't have an answer. It's one reason I like to write a monthly newsletter on success concepts and try to teach people how much potential they have through trainings. Not that I don't have my own share of insecurities, mind...)

One of those questions that have no single, concrete answer. But I'll take a stab at it...

Everyone should take the responsibility to know him/herself. What you can do, what you can't do, what's good for you, what's not good for you. And allow others to find the same for themselves. If lack of self-worth is truly what a lot of "misbehavior" stems from, finding out about yourself would fix a lot of problems. Everyone can do something worthwhile, it can just take awhile to find out what it is.

"When we remember we are all mad, the mysteries disappear, and life stands explained." --Mark Twain

Wow Mad Jack what happened? Sorry to see you go...sometimes there are bad apples in the batch and you have to start over eh!

Buck up..have a rum with us gals, we will give you a wink and a smile and in the morn the sun will shine and it will be all over. So have a rummer on me and come on back on board man! Hussah! :huh:

~~~~Sailing Westward Bound~~~~

Lady Alyx

bateau-sailor-jerry-tatouage.jpg

others to do things to excess to prove their self-worth (work, make money, achieve and every other "positive" addictive behavior you can name)

yep, that's me. I acknowledge my faults but there's not a damned thing I can do to stop it. At least it's a positive and not a negative fault :)

There is an issue of knowing yourself well enough to know your own faults and learning how to deal with them, how to work past & through them & making sure that your faults don't have a negative effect on the people around you. We tend to look at faults negatively, which they aren't necessarily. Faults can be good things & really do help to shape us as individuals.

There is an issue of knowing yourself well enough to know your own faults and learning how to deal with them, how to work past & through them & making sure that your faults don't have a negative effect on the people around you. We tend to look at faults negatively, which they aren't necessarily. Faults can be good things & really do help to shape us as individuals.

Oh, it's getting good.

Another thing that has always fascinated me: our greatest strength is also our greatest weakness. If you are exceptionally organized and punctual, you are also somewhat hidebound and unyielding. If you are completely open-minded and able to accept new ideas, you are also somewhat disorganized and unable to commit. I had dinner with friends last Friday at my 3rd Favorite (Known) Restaurant (Appeteaser in Milford, MI) and we were discussing just that. In the one couple, She is fairly well-organized and quick to make decisions while He is very open-minded yet is always changing His mind. As She put it, "If we were alike, we'd never make any decisions on anything. And He agreed - but only after thinking about it for awhile. :huh:

Mycroft: "My brother has the brain of a scientist or a philosopher, yet he elects to be a detective. What might we deduce about his heart?"

John: "I don't know."

Mycroft: "Neither do I. But initially he wanted to be a pirate."

Mission_banner5.JPG