Pirate Festival!

LadyBarbossa

Oi mates! ... my pirate plate overfloweth...

Ye have a pirate plate? Where did ye obtain such a thing? Is it silverplated?

04de8cfe.jpg

"He's a Pirate dancer, He dances for money, Any old dollar will do...

"He's a pirate dancer, His dances are funny... 'Cuz he's only got one shoe! Ahhrrr!"

FH1040.jpg

• Replies 180
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, we have been discussing this event off of Pyracy.com, so for the record: This is on my calendar. I plan to be there.

04de8cfe.jpg

"He's a pirate dancer, His dances are funny... 'Cuz he's only got one shoe! Ahhrrr!"

FH1040.jpg

Hello all!

I have been named the Reenactor Liason for this Pirate Festival. I am also the assistant director of the group that will be performing the duties of the town militia/garrison.

Its great to see all this interest and I hope we can make this event a fun one for both the participants and patrons! If you have any questions please feel free to ask me, and I'll do my best to get you answers ASAP.

• 3 weeks later...

While I am waiting for confirmation on this, my schedule might become rather complicated. I might be getting my kids for the summer starting this same weekend.

A large disadvantage is timing -- I cannot drive South halfway across Illinois on Friday evening to get my kids at the same time I am expecting to drive North the same distance to get to Port Washington.

But the primary complication is my obligation to my wee ones. I cannot abandon them (i.e. by leaving them all with my wife). If I have them that weekend, I will have to bring along my son, William the Bloody (any combination that includes him and any of my daughters will NOT work). However, that will probaly work out for all o' ye, as there will be another young lad in the group. While I can always make him work (specifically by assigning him to watch my stuff), he then becomes one more thing for ME to watch.

Can't rightly spend the whole night tossing back pints in the local tavern if I have a minor in my custody...

... although that reminds me -- I do have authentic working leg irons and wrist shackles I will be bringing along...

04de8cfe.jpg

FH1040.jpg

Thanks to certain fast-talking pirates among you, my publisher was convinced to put this festival on the reading tour for my new book! Of course, by Saturday afternoon, when I'm supposed to go on, I expect none of us will be in either book-reading or listening-to-a-book-reading condition.

The challenge now is to contrive a way for my publisher to pick up our grog tab.

So, it would appear that my son is NOT going to join us in Port Washington. While this un-complicates a lot of things for me, I had already figured out so much stuff to accommodate him, that I am now disappointed.

As promised, I will be taking pictures of some of my "spare" gear as well as myself starting this afternoon (finally purchased a $50 memory card for my digital camera)... I will post these on the Yahoo "Fool's Gold Crew" site, but the pics of me in me garb will prompt me to open a Photobucket account, enabling me to post pix here...

The weekend has been too cold (30s and 40s) for me to bother setting up my tent, but the weather is supposed to be wonderful later this week. I'll get that tent up and show ye what I have in mind for Port Washington...

04de8cfe.jpg

FH1040.jpg

Sounds good.

I know MerryD doesn't want me to be dragging along a lot of stuff. I suppose with good reason... but we all have good reasons. Mine would be to have some good period style items and a shelter for storage as needed, too.

Your tent may be like mine.. so, one tent for storage is really all we need other than a fly... I'm still attempting to find a very old, worn out tent, marquis.. or even just get some canvas and make it look like some old scrap sail that is worthless... that would look right wicked.

::Ponders::: Ooooo... idea! .....

Perhaps we can ponder for next year as well. God be willing I can find a good trailer (as I will need one for my re-enacting stuff anyway).

Have a few things in the "camp" that looks like we've acquired from the town... would look even more so piratical.

:lol:

Tempt Fate! an' toss 't all t' Hell!"

"I'm completely innocent of whatever crime I've committed."

The one, the only,... the infamous!

Pete, I'm actually sorry to hear your son won't be along. Lady B, is Bloody Davy Kidd still coming? I was hoping to introduce my boys to some other pirate lads. (My kids are starting to think this whole pirate thing is just for us crazy middle-aged folk trying to recapture our childhoods. That's true, of course, but I was hoping to prove that pirate re-enactment is also a legitimate activity for people of all ages.) Anyway, we all still plan to be there -- Sjoroveren, the Powder Monkeys and myself. Piracy is always a family affair at our house...

:huh:

Aye! Th' lads 'll see we adults enjoy this just as much - if not more so - as they.

And to my understanding, that yes, Bloody Davy will still be coming. Arrangements are still being finalized and his outfit being worked on (no machine, so having to do it by hand. ::Groans::: )

Still attempting to convince a few others to come. One I know is coming which she'll be hanging with us. Another gent.. well, haven't heard a word from him however still hoping he comes. Tis PAYBACK for a certain Captain Sparrow if he does! :: evil grinz :: other than that... not sure who all will be attending for sure.

There was a lass whom MerryD and I met on St Paddy's Night and she's still attempting to figure out if she will join us as well. ::knocks on the wood of the Black Pearl::: again, if not much this year, all is not lost... there is always next year as well to recruit more folks.

I, too, am working on some of my buddies... but I am afraid it will require me to make their outfits for them to accept my invitation -- and that, I fear, is too much for me to accomplish.

Besides, I have too much gear to polish before June...

PirateGear.jpg

04de8cfe.jpg

FH1040.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Ahoy there! Now, it has been months and months since I've last posted, and I'm sure you've all forgotten about me. Well, I don't blame you. But it turns out in those months I've been slowly but surely working on my kit, and although it is not a historical depiction by any means, it is a "pyle-style" kit that I am quite satisfied with. And I've been pirating in my absence from the boards, with pirate three pirate themed birthday parties and a regular gig dressing liek a pirate and taking the pontoon out to other people's boats and demanding bratwurst. Goodtimes, goodtimes. Would it be too impertinent to wonder if we could meet for drinks sometime and somewhere at this little shindig? I've been a lurker, but not a stranger, and I'd be pleased to get a chance to meet all of you.

"The time was when ships passing one another at sea backed their topsails and had a 'gam,' and on parting fired guns; but those good old days have gone. People have hardly time nowadays to speak even on the broad ocean, where news is news, and as for a salute of guns, they cannot afford the powder. There are no poetry-enshrined freighters on the sea now; it is a prosy life when we have no time to bid one another good morning."

- Capt. Joshua Slocum

Aye, Bloody Jack! Would LOVE t' meet up with ya!

Gonna be there for the Buccaneers Bash on Friday evening?

B)

I will! I don't know if the rest of my crew will, tho. They live in sutherland of lake county, Il.

"The time was when ships passing one another at sea backed their topsails and had a 'gam,' and on parting fired guns; but those good old days have gone. People have hardly time nowadays to speak even on the broad ocean, where news is news, and as for a salute of guns, they cannot afford the powder. There are no poetry-enshrined freighters on the sea now; it is a prosy life when we have no time to bid one another good morning."

- Capt. Joshua Slocum

Indeed.. I think a meeting of more NQG crew would be grand. I just wish a certain capt of the bird persuasion would come up to Port Wash too.

Friday's Bash works.. or any time during the weekend (if i can make it and work doesn't call me in) since the schedule is on the portpiratefest.com site

Pirate Lass with sass, brass, a cutlass, an a nice *ss. Capt of the FOOLS GOLD PIRATES

BLAST BREAST CANCER! GET A MAMMOGRAM AND SAVE YOUR TREASURED CHEST:

http://www.myspace.c...iratesthinkpink

http://www.myspace.c...oolsgoldpirates

CAPT OF THE ONLY PYRITE SHIP AFLOAT: THE FOOL'S GOLD- look for us and Captain Merrydeath on facebook!

merrydeathsigsmall.jpg

Ahrr, Bloody Jack Madd... a lurker, eh? Well met, indeed! Look us up in Port Washington -- we should not be too hard to find. "Twould be a pleasure to toss back a couple in your company. Alas, for I am without bratwurst, so ye shall have to set yer sights on other treasure...

I hardly think I would scoff at yer "Pyle-style" kit, chum, for I would have to admit to being a "Maitz-style" pirate and beg that ye not criticize me own.

Lookin' forward...

04de8cfe.jpg

FH1040.jpg

Piracy is in the heart, mateys, not the look (although a hell of a look can warm the heart!) On my account page there's a sample of my crew (with me in the middle with me arm around the wench): not realistic, but who needs realism when you're pirate christmas caroling for christmas rum? It'd be an honor to meet you all; I've been sailing all by my lonesome up here in Brew City. There's other pirates up here, by gum (I think the bilgemunky himself!) but I haven't met any o' them yet.

- Capt. Joshua Slocum

Sweet Cheese! I just saw yer coat on the 'Plunder' boards! That's the most beautiful thing I've ever seen! For my first pirate birthday party, I borrowed a costume from my mother's collection (with a Master's in textile science, she used to manage the custoime collection for Door County, WI) and it was a clean, quality, luxurious coat such as that! Actually, that was the party that really got my friends and I into piracy. We had so much fun in rented/borrowed customes that we realized it was worth the investment to buy/make our own! I look more like Don Maitz's "No Prey, No Pay" fellow. I look forward to seeing you in Port!

- Capt. Joshua Slocum

Oh, indeed would be a grand time indeed for all us Midwestern Pirates! A GREAT chance t' meet... be like an annual family reunion! :huh:

I'll be dressing my best on Friday evenings Buccaneer Bash. The rest of the weekend, that is still up for debate on how fancy or not I will be. PLENTY of attire really for at least 7 days worth of piratical fun!

Lookin' forward t' meetin' there, Bloody Jack!

Our crew is listed on the site...

(best Steve Martin voice).. we're somebody!!

Indeed, I have found several stamps that will work as a 'tattoo' for the pollywogs at the fest. I am going to get more coins/ stones for bait. We do need more powder monkeys.. right?

Hums.. favorite things..

Pirate Lass with sass, brass, a cutlass, an a nice *ss. Capt of the FOOLS GOLD PIRATES

BLAST BREAST CANCER! GET A MAMMOGRAM AND SAVE YOUR TREASURED CHEST:

http://www.myspace.c...iratesthinkpink

http://www.myspace.c...oolsgoldpirates

CAPT OF THE ONLY PYRITE SHIP AFLOAT: THE FOOL'S GOLD- look for us and Captain Merrydeath on facebook!

merrydeathsigsmall.jpg

Is anyone going to participate in the pirate costume contest? Or is that for kids? Or, would it be so dang unfair that we shouldn't even consider it?

Mateys, I am really looking forward to this...

- Capt. Joshua Slocum

Ne'er really thought about it.

Though... if it's open to us.. AYE! I'll be goin' for th' glory an' prestige!

an' I'm with ya there, Mate! Eager for th' fun! Eager t' be seein' e'eryone!

~Lady B

:D

Awesome! My kit is a little shabby for a big Pirate Dance, however...

- Capt. Joshua Slocum

Costume contest? Do ye have to ask? After all the time I spent on this outfit?

I am in. If I am excluded on a technicality, or forced to enter in a category against costumes against which I have no chance, I plan to be a force to be reckoned with!

04de8cfe.jpg

FH1040.jpg