Pirate Festival!

LadyBarbossa

Calling ALL midwestern pirates! I know there be plenty of ya out there!

Just received this bit of information & figured I would pass it along. I'm beginning to make plans to go!

Ahoy, Mates!

This is Dean Calin from Bounding Main. I'm helping organize the second annual Port Washington Pirate Festival. It is being held the weekend of June 2-4, 2006 in Port Washington, Wisconsin. What started as an impromptu event ended up having about 3,000 people in attendance, so this year we're planning ahead and we're hoping to triple that number.

Friday night will have a Buccaneer Bash, a general party for all pirate types, with music, a cash bar and mingling with friends new and old. Saturday will feature a kick-off scenario where a pirate ship, guns blazing, battles with the town's militia, who are summarily defeated. The ship lands, the pirates invade and the days activities kick off. There will be a Thieve's Market with various maritime vendors, music and entertainment with a nautical theme and lots of food, costume contests and fun for everyone.

If your group is interested in participating in this event we're working with the city to set up a reenactors' encampment for period tents only. Please give me your thoughts on this when you can.

Fair winds,

Dean

Port Washington Pirate Festival

www.portpiratefestival.com

:P

Tempt Fate! an' toss 't all t' Hell!"

"I'm completely innocent of whatever crime I've committed."

The one, the only,... the infamous!

• Replies 180
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Foul Temptress.

::: Wicked grinz; removes black, plumed hat & bows deeply & elegantly::: I am to serve a certain purpose. Aye, and I have acheived that... even if it be only to taunt one gent.

B)

Indeed, Lady Barbossa, m' crew and I are hopin' to be there as well. Just awaitin' official word. Would be grand if the midwestern pyrates (and some of our coast brethern) could be joining us to make this event a rousing success.

Cap'n Emerald

Captain Emerald Shaunassey O' The Salty Kiss

www.TheLadiesoftheSaltyKiss.com

Perhaps next year, Callenish. Hopefully will have more pirates... & commandeer more than one ship! I've not a clue on what all they have planned... but, I'll be there for the festivities.

Now... if only I had a real ship.... B) I tell ya... been pondering that one for a couple years!

Then I do hope to see ya there, Emerald! :)

I'm trying to convince a few pirates to come.

:unsure:

I'm playing my own small part in helping with this festival. What I can offer at this time is a tentative schedule of events:

Friday Night

-Buccaneer Bash Kick off party 7-11pm

DJ with piratey music thrown in the mix of classic rock

beer, snacks and door prizes

-Pirate Ship voyage

Saturday

-Invasion at noon

Pirates come off of ship

Military reenactors defend city

lots of booms and cannons

-Thieves Marketplace 11-6

-Beer/Comedy & non-musical acts tent

-Food and Music tent

-Children's tent

-Pirate Ship tours and sails

-various acts running around town

-geocaching

-Doubloon reward station

Sunday

-Kids parade at 1:00

-Thieves Marketplace 12-4

-Beer/Comedy & non-musical acts tent

-Food and Music tent

-doubloon reward station

-Children's tent

-Pirate Ship tours and sails

-various acts running around town

-geocaching

There are discussions underway regarding activities for Saturday night - I'll make sure and post as things get more defined.

If anyone has any specific questions, please feel free to post them or pm me.

I AM BILGEMUNKY

• 2 weeks later...

Ahhh... Bilgemonkey... ya do justice to lettin' slip th' word.

Aye... I do have questions an' haven't heard from th' lot who be in charge.

1. Bein' the campin' they intend to be puttin' aside fer us. Any news about that? I've an idea billowin' in m' mind on how t' make my camp a bit more... well,... realistic as though I've done a fine work o' plunderin' the town!

2. More about what we can an' cannot do. Though... granted th' rules, as all will agree.. will be more like... guidelines.

3. Perhaps some coordination with the "Port King's Men" as to a scenario on how the takin' over is t' go so as no one looses a limb or worse. Th' Soldier in me discates that an' I can see how plannin' a scenario at some events I've gone t' has helped greatly. Even if it's a written scenario that the wild lot of us reads. At least we read it over an' over... it'll be locked away in our thick skulls that even a sharpened, heavy cutlass won't be able t' remove!

4. Firearms safety would be good t' have around. I'd say the captains of the crews out there, need to be keepin' a man or woman in charge of the lot with the firearms. A Master Gunner or Master Cannoneer.

5.The other part bein' the ship. Our access to it, what they've planned for us. Including what cannons be aboard. Who will be the cannoneers. I doubts I can get a huge lot in from the NWTA to be our cannoneers. Ol' Capt. Morgan... lad, I pray you be learn the use of a cannon soon. Ya should! The Marines be a right wonderful lot tto be a'handlin' a few cannons!

Th' geocachin' sounds a bit raw an' strange. Fill me in upon what they have in mind fer that.

The Doubloon R'ward Station... ahhhh.. now they more than likely 'll have a bloody hell of'a time tryin' t' keep all us pirates away from the Doubloons! A pirate an ne'er have 'nough treasure!

Maybe we crews ( as to how many be there, t'will be a grand question)... ponder somethin' on the invasion battle. I knows I be a bit... military with this... but... military I be! Bein' a Dragoon. I knows a couple gents already who be military as well. I'm sure we can be more than a great lot for th' crews... but right dangerous for His Majesty's Men.

Ooooh, yes.... how many ships do we get to use? An which ship(s). Bein' familiar with a ship does a good pirate justice to what e'er he or she's in mind.

Do keep us informed, Bilgemonkey. I intend t' be fully involved with the Festival to the extent of m' piratical abilities! This Lady requires details.

:lol:

Lady Barbossa - I'll do my very best to answer all your questions and keep everyone posted. I should start, though, by elaborating on the event itself.

First and formost, although there's some disagreement on the matter, it's largely believed the bulk of the attendies will be "normal" folks - families and such who don't eat, drink, and sleep pirates the rest of the year - therefore much of the festival will be catering to this audience. Authenticity and full pirate emersion are fine goals to work towards, but that won't be the goal of this year's festival. I feel this is an important point so folks know what to expect, as I'd hate for any hardcore reenactors to book cross-country plane tickets in the hopes of a midwest Pirates in Paradise. Consider this festival for what it is - a small Wisconsin town's effort at a fun pirate-themed event. We have plenty of folks eager to lend a more authentic aspect and I support those efforts, but we also need to consider what's appropriate for our audience, and what will make this year's festival a financial success (so's we can build on it next year!)

Second item worth mentioning is the opening night's Buccaneer's Bash. This is the only part of the festival in which I have direct control, so it's the part of the festival in which I can go into the most detail (as details solidify, that is.) Due to the aforementioned concerns this will NOT be an authentic "pub night" or such. We'll endeavour to make it piratey, but there will also be a DJ spinning music that we hope will have mainstream appeal - mixed in with some pirate-themed music of a more fun nature. Pirate clothing will earn attendeed a discount on admission, jolly rogers will be flying and you can dance the night away overlooking the pier. VFW members will serve your beer, and I'm hoping they'll be wearing pirate hats and eyepatches as they do so :(

On to your questions:

1. Bein' the campin' they intend to be puttin' aside fer us. Any news about that? I've an idea billowin' in m' mind on how t' make my camp a bit more... well,... realistic as though I've done a fine work o' plunderin' the town!

Camping is turning into quite an issue. There are no actual campsites anywhere near town, and the town itself is being very finicky about allowing camping in the vacinity. This holds true even for fully historical sites that could be considered part of the attraction. I realize that an inability to stay in a tent, period or no, could certainly limit some people's ability to attend. The committee is working on this, and I'll let you know once things solidify.

2. More about what we can an' cannot do. Though... granted th' rules, as all will agree.. will be more like... guidelines.

Another town issue. They've not had to deal with weapon questions in the past, so this has yet to be addressed. Obviously we want our pirates to be able to bring weapons, but the green light isn't yet official.

3. Perhaps some coordination with the "Port King's Men" as to a scenario on how the takin' over is t' go so as no one looses a limb or worse. Th' Soldier in me discates that an' I can see how plannin' a scenario at some events I've gone t' has helped greatly. Even if it's a written scenario that the wild lot of us reads. At least we read it over an' over... it'll be locked away in our thick skulls that even a sharpened, heavy cutlass won't be able t' remove!

The town invasion is being carefully planned by folks more able to do so than myself. There is a local reenactment group that will be manning all artillery during the invasion, and it will all be timed and planned out. Pirate "extras" will be placed on the boat (the boat is still being negotiated, so I won't say it's name. But if you'd like to know the contendor, look to the Chicago area,) and perhaps more on land. The only actual hand to hand combat will take place between the pirate captain and the head of the town militia, both trained combat actors. If you'd like to participate on any level, please email me privately stating what you'd like to do, and any special qualifications, and I'll ensure the proper parties get the info.

4. Firearms safety would be good t' have around. I'd say the captains of the crews out there, need to be keepin' a man or woman in charge of the lot with the firearms. A Master Gunner or Master Cannoneer.

5.The other part bein' the ship. Our access to it, what they've planned for us. Including what cannons be aboard. Who will be the cannoneers. I doubts I can get a huge lot in from the NWTA to be our cannoneers. Ol' Capt. Morgan... lad, I pray you be learn the use of a cannon soon. Ya should! The Marines be a right wonderful lot tto be a'handlin' a few cannons!

See the previous answer. If you have a gun and would like to offer demos, contact me (unless you've already contacted the festival through other means, of course.) If you don't contact the festival, I recommend leaving the black powder at home. Port Washington's park just doesn't have the space for any shooting range type of activities.

Th' geocachin' sounds a bit raw an' strange. Fill me in upon what they have in mind fer that.

It's strange to me too, and seems an odd fit. Apparently geocaching has it's own group of fans, and this event is intended to attract them in the hopes of getting them to also spend their hardearned cash in the local stores and bars. This is very much a whole-town event, rather than something out in a field somewhere. Suffice to say, those who are into geocaching can do so, those who aren't shouldn't even know it's happening.

The Doubloon R'ward Station... ahhhh.. now they more than likely 'll have a bloody hell of'a time tryin' t' keep all us pirates away from the Doubloons! A pirate an ne'er have 'nough treasure!

Ah, now this one was my own humble brainchild, and I hope it proves successful. However, my own intention was for it to be a way to help encourage participation with the youngins, and I'm not sure it will translate well for adults (although wiser folks may decide different.) The idea is this: participate in an event, get a doubloon. Buy something from a local store, get a doubloon with your change. Talk to a pirate and learn to say "yarrr", get a doubloon. Then at the end of your stay, go to the doubloon station and cash them in for a prize, anything from stickers to t-shirts to who-knows. All prizes will be pirate themed, of course.

I guess that's it for now!

I AM BILGEMUNKY

Lazy Days Campground

1475 Lakeview Rd.

West Bend, WI 53090

262-675-6511

www.wisvacations.com/LazyDays

Lake Lenwood Beach & Camp

7053 Lenwood Dr.West Bend, WI 53090

262-334-1335

www.lakelenwood.com

~Black Hearted Pearl

The optimist expects the wind. The pessimist complains about the wind. The realist adjusts the sails.

Hmmmm... does indeed sound a bit confusing.

Aye.. hopefully the closer it gets, the better the info & other things are ironed out.

As to doing something stunt wise... I'm not the worlds greatest, nor am I SCA certified, etc with a whole bunch of years background... but, I've fired a carbine for a good couple of years... I've been pullin' off Will Turners with my swords - practicing... I'd imagine I can offer assistance of some sort, even if not in melee or close quarter's combat.

The appeal to the general audience... Hmmm... kinda does concern me as to what they want from us pirates who do attend or what they will allow. Yer words confuse me, but I know it's not bein' your fault by any means. But... if this is more for the non-piratical type, then what do they need the lot of us for?

The camping will be an issue. & Aye... no camping... I know I won't be able to come.

Perhaps... best time to be workin' on Articles. That way we know who all be involved, able and even guests, what we have as guidelines & demands, etc.... the type of standards used by re-enactment groups and associations before an event is even planned. This being in concern over insurance & other issues. I'm willin' to work with ya, Bilgemonkey on that issue. I've a feeling that's one of the major troubles behind it all. Government lands make it hard for weapons to be on them. Even camping is not liked.

Your ideas for the Bash and the doubloons sound fabulous! I hope it works fabulously!

Again... to keep me informed. What they have for us, allow us, expect of us greatly depends upon if I arrive for the festivities or not.

The appeal to the general audience... Hmmm... kinda does concern me as to what they want from us pirates who do attend or what they will allow. Yer words confuse me, but I know it's not bein' your fault by any means. But... if this is more for the non-piratical type, then what do they need the lot of us for?

The "appeal to the general audience" is where performance troupes such as mine and the gentlemen of the "Scurvvy Dawgs" come in at. We are not as "scary/intimidating" to the general populace as a full on, hard core re-enactor would be. We tend to be the "bridge" between the hollywood ideals and the real thing. It is our job to entertain, educate and inspire inquisitiveness in the patrons - all in an effort to encourage real research into the true history.

Here's to seeing ya there, Lady!

With Respects,

Cap'n Emerald

I'm sorry if I made it sound like authenticity-oriented pirates are uneeded/unwelcome - neither is the case. If you come dressed as a period buccaneer, I assure you that no one will come up to you and insist you install an eyepatch and hook before entering the festival. And if you're willing and able to educate some of the locals about historical piracy, so much the better.

It's a tricky balance we're playing with. Last year's (the first) festival had very few pirate performers or vendors. Most of the "Thieves Market" was in fact made up of local, non-piratey businesses. This is something that needs to be improved upon, but we can't attract the big-name pirate vendors until we can attract the sort of audience that's willing to buy a $150 pirate hat (just as an example.) So we need to take steps to ensure a bigger, more appropriately piratey festival, while also maintaining the participation of the local populace who surely love pirates (it's a very nautical town), but who won't necessarily be satisfied dancing the weekend away to a sqeezebox while drinking rum.

In short, this festival will be a work in progress for the next several years, and full-fledged piratey is the goal. If you're looking to attend a historical event and buy some new items for your pirate wardrobe, this really ain't the place. Not yet, anyways. But if you're willing and able to come in full pirate garb and lend a hand towards making this event more piratey than it would otherwise be without you, then please do so - you're wanted and needed. Or if you simply live nearby and want to come see an entire town participate in a pirate festival (which I think is the neatest part - watching the local stores try to find their own ways to "piratify" themselves, hearing the school marching band play excerpts from PotC, etc) then this should be a lot of fun for you.

I AM BILGEMUNKY

Apologies to th' both of ya on the issue. T'wasn't exactly the idea of historical re-enactment to the historical perfection or progression - I fight with that year after year a the Rev war re-enactments.

Piracy... to me... I'm no historical true re-creation. It's the fantasy part that I first saw & read about & even acted out as a little girl that I still work on now. So, I'm not pirate re-enactor... but more on my way of being a... hmmm... tis a good question what to call us piratical portrayers?

If it's the fantasy, Hollywood style they be wanting, something that has roamed about in the heads of people as legends & lore the same as it has in mine for years upon end... then yes, I can do such a thing.

Perhaps this year then, I'll just use my non-functional weapons.

As to spendin' money upon items... Hmmm.... perhaps if they see th' lot of us wearing these legendary headresses, then perhaps they may buy & return the next year to join the pirate ranks.

Time to be sparkin' the fire of Pirate Legend & Lore. I've been having some ideas well about in my mind, Bilgemonkey (Sorry lad, I forgotten yer name, horrible, I knows). One of them being (& I am attempting to figure out how to get the stuff up there)... is not much a historical camp with the bland white canvas tent... but to find a bunch of old canvas that looks like an old worn out sail, even some furs, fabrics of rich appearance, old-style furniture that looks like it comes from a local Governor or the King himself & a few boxes or a chest of items of vasious sorts.... with the look of it appearing as though I've plundered then set up camp. So... I be hopin' for that camping site.

Either that or allowin' us pirates the opportunity to sleep aboard the ship like right pirates would. Welp.. unless it be the Windy or Windy 2 that they be wantin'... no chance of sleepin' aboard ship then.

Ahhh... Aye... I've ideas. Plenty of them. Think they would want to hear them? Doesn't mean they need to have them for this year.

Blasted! Seems would need our own vessel, don't we's? One that's right piratical. Ahhh... the wheel be turned wickedly within my mind.

Apologies to th' both of ya on the issue.

No apologies needed as far as I be concerned, Lady. B) I took no offense at anything ya said. I was just adding my two pence to assist in any way possible. It will take all of us, performers, enthusiasts and hard core reenactor to make a go of this festival and others of it's ilk.

And if those involved (in any capacity) can spark the flame in those who attend - all the better for folks like yourself and myself to fan those flames of interest and delight in ALL things piratical to a higher level. we each, in our own way and style, have a job to do to keep the dreams and ideals alive in those less fortunate, non-pirate souls.

With Respects,

Cap'n Emerald

Aye. Ignite th' flame, feed it further into a raggin' inferno!

Tis not much of the actual real or perfect history of piracy that grabbed my attention I shoot for as my own persona... but the legend and lore, the fantasy that grabbed my attention when I was but a young lass.

I pray that image I have carried with me I can portray well enough to the likes of all there at the Fest.

So... again, do keep us informed.

The major part being the pirate camp. Like I said above, I've an idea (if I can get the items up to Port Washington) to make the camp's appearance look more like it's of plundered items than a military camp.

:huh:

• 3 weeks later...

Sad news to report regarding this festival, "The Ladies of the Salty Kiss" will not be going to Wisconsin this year. Heard back from the person in charge of entertainment. Maybe next year we'll be able to perform up there. Hope it goes well this year, keep us all updated!

Cap'n Emerald

Tis a bleedin' shame ya won't be joinin' us! ;) Would have liked to have met ya.

Will have images for ya. But if you do come, ya can't be missin' me!

;)

• 3 weeks later...

bump

Pirate Lass with sass, brass, a cutlass, an a nice *ss. Capt of the FOOLS GOLD PIRATES

BLAST BREAST CANCER! GET A MAMMOGRAM AND SAVE YOUR TREASURED CHEST:

http://www.myspace.c...iratesthinkpink

http://www.myspace.c...oolsgoldpirates

CAPT OF THE ONLY PYRITE SHIP AFLOAT: THE FOOL'S GOLD- look for us and Captain Merrydeath on facebook!

merrydeathsigsmall.jpg

Bump?

Oy! Thinkin' upon this... if ever we continue with such events & desire to use firing replicas... dare we look into insurance? Especially since we are already carryin' around weapons. A little somethin' for the crew?

&... I be workin' on ideas for little treasures for the lot of ya. So far... I know of a couple of ya who be goin'. Bilgemonkey... I'm presumin' ye'll be there. Red Bess & Sjo... I'm presumin' ye'll be there as well. An' MerryD?

:ph34r:

• 2 weeks later...

Oi mates! Let me first apologize for not providin' up to the minute coverage as this event develops - my pirate plate overfloweth, as this festival is only one of many things I'm juggling at the moment.

Also, while there are several things I'd love to announce, as they're "as good as finalized" - in my experience, that's not the same as "finalized", and I don't want to inadvertantly spread false info.

Very shortly I should have all sorts of stuff to share. And meantime, you can of course check out the event's website at www.portpiratefestival.com.

I AM BILGEMUNKY

Tis ok, Bilgemonkey. Ye be fine.

Though I was a wonderin'... since I've not seen updates on the site. Hope all is comin' along.

Now... for those of us pirates who wish to camp... what be the status there?

;)

If you're looking for just a normal campsite, as a means of inexpensive lodging - I believe some campsites were listed earlier in this thread. However, my guess is that you're asking about "historical" camping, onsite and such.

This is in the works, and I believe permission has been granted by the city for an encampment of a limited basis. At this time, it's open to those directly affiliated with the local group we've hired to do the bulk of the "invasion." It's hoped we can open that up a bit to other interested (and qualified) parties - meaning pirate reenactors capable of occupying a more or less period encampment. But at this time, this is one of those things about which I'd rather not make any promises.

I AM BILGEMUNKY

• 4 weeks later...

ahoy, all!

Any more news, Bilgemonkey?

Mr. Calin made mention he's working on choreographin' th' Saturday noon batte. I told him I was willin' an' able t' do some battlin'.

Any word on a pirate camp site yet?

Plus... the lot of ya out there... How's about puttin' the name of th' Fool's Gold on th' site as the cast of entertainers?

I'm sure we can come up with some fun lil' improv skits. I've several ideas in mind m'self!

Hop ont' the Fool's Gold chattery list... (ya knows where)... an' we can do some discussin' of terms an' plans. Sounds like a bargain?

:huh: