You in yar garb.

Pirate Petee

Be it th' lightin', or are ye a wee bit sunburned?

Truly,

D. Lasseter

Captain, The Lucy

Propria Virtute Audax --- In Hoc Signo Vinces

LasseterSignatureNew.gif

Ni Feidir An Dubh A Chur Ina Bhan Air

"If I whet my glittering sword, and mine hand take hold on judgment; I will render vengeance to mine enemies, and will reward them that hate me." Deuteronomy 32:41

Envy and its evil twin - It crept in bed with slander - Idiots they gave advice - But Sloth it gave no answer - Anger kills the human soul - With butter tales of Lust - While Pavlov's Dogs keep chewin' - On the legs they never trust... The Seven Deadly Sins

http://www.colonialnavy.org

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Part lighting, and part American Indian. I tried to adjust it, but it can't make it work. I'm just a red man. I'll get browner as the months pass, but the red overtones hang on.

Moderater: (and ye know who ye be) If the images prove too repulsive to leave up, I'll pull 'em off me server, yeah? No use scarin' the natives, as it were.

Yo ho ho! Or does nobody actually say that?

Not a bad head o' hair for a bloke pushin' 42, eh? Not too much gray, and it is dark brown, Rumba, love. The light was behind me, I suppose. Whatever. It looks better than me DMV photo, by a damn sight! :lol:

Yo ho ho! Or does nobody actually say that?

They say if you can't be a great example, you will have to serve as a horrible warning. So, in the interest of public service, my new slops:

DSCN3979small.jpg

As to that horrible warning...

THINGS I HAVE LEARNED ABOUT CANVAS:

1) Canvas shrinks, when washed, (roughly on par with Levi's 501 denim, 1 inch in the waist, 2 inches in the inseam.) I made these straight off the bolt,. After washing, they are shorter and narrower in the leg than I would like. Bottom line: Wash (i.e., preshrink) your fabric before starting.

2) Canvas ravels like crazy when washed. I almost lost the seams. Had to put in secondary seams (which shrunk the overall size even more) plus zigzag to keep the cloth from eroding further. Bottom line: finish all raw (cut) edges.

Signed, Master of the Blindingly Obvious.

:blink::lol::lol:

Ah one always learns from their sewing mistakes, I'm certianly proof of that. :blink: Yup, ye gots ta wash the material before ye use it. The exceptions bein' wool, brocades, leather/suede, chiffons etc.

Though I must say, I'm blinded by the white! :lol:

BTW-You're a great looking guy without the mug in front of your face! :lol:

Signed, Master of the Blindingly Obvious.

And the blindingly white! Most likely not so by the end of the weekend!

I think that's the camera flash (and maybe white balance function) doing that. The material is actually quite ivory. Still, a good coat of various species of ship's filth will do wonders. :rolleyes:

The one other thing I'd mention in hindsight is to learn your sewing machine. (assuming you aren't handstitching). I had no idea mine did overlock stitch until this morning. Doh! (I looked at the seams on a pair of Dockers and they finish the seams pretty much the way I ended up doing. Not period, but at least I have some confidence the seams will hold up now.)

Depending on what I'm making, sometimes I will use a regular sewing stitch, then go back over the edges with an overlock stitch, to help strengthen the seams. I do that especially on pants. I have a Bernina sewing machine which just happens to have some nice nifty stitches, some of which I've never used.

Ok here's some newer pics of me, lost more weight and feeling good so im posting them.

I love this one...

CNXT0103.jpg

and...

CNXT0096-1.jpg

And yes my camera is acting up, need a new one I suppose..

.CNXT0111.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v519/Dara286/trident01-11.png

If you got a dream chase it, cause a dream won't chase you back...(Cody Johnson Till you Can't)

Black Syren Logo small.png

aye long tom ye be a good looking fellow.....why do so many folk on here hide themselves?????

and siren .....i will risk repeating myself te ye lass ye be a grand looking lass indeed ....... ;););)

:(;););););) here's t' all those who have the nerve to post yer visages on this site

aye long tom ye be a good looking fellow.....why do so many folk on here hide themselves?????

Erm...because I have a thing for comical photos?

Admittedly, the expression is mostly lost in the avatar size. This gives the idea a little better:

avbig.jpg

:lol:

Still, I thank ye for the kind words, tho' it means a bit more from the likes of the fair lasses who preceded ye, Mr. Gunner. I must say, you've a fine sense of pyratical panache there yerself. B)B)B)B)

Ok here's some newer pics of me.

CNXT0103.jpg

CNXT0096-1.jpg

.CNXT0111.jpg

You know, Capt Siren, when the worthy who wrote "Yo Ho Ho and a Bottle o' Rum" penned the immortal line "All lookouts clapped on Paradise," I don't think this is quite what he had in mind.

...but it sure seems to fit. :)

LongTom. Zig-Zaging or overlocking the edges works.... but if you "Flat fell" them, they will look and work even better.......

Don't know if you'r going for the clean neat Pyrate look or not, ...My garb is grungy and looks more weather worn....So I don't hem the bottem edge of slops, but let them unravel a little when they get washed... not period, but makes them look more worn....Some sand paper on the seams and top of the legs, a few patches, Tea staining and some wattered down ink will also age too bright cloth........ A little soot from an oil lamp does a great job of grungying up garb.....

Ahhh..... such fine Ladies an' Gents here!

Mad Jack... nay, those images of ya were spectacular! Such a fine Gent ye are! :)

Long Tom... A fine outfit.. and ye too are a fine Gent!

Tya remind me of someone I know though. Spooky! :lol:

Siren... again, ya look fabulous, m'dear! :o

Keep th' images a comin' all! LOVE seein' them! :)

:o

Tempt Fate! an' toss 't all t' Hell!"

"I'm completely innocent of whatever crime I've committed."

The one, the only,... the infamous!

Here some pictures of my other Pirate alter ego, Mr. Mat Gaidoon:

yohoho.jpg

taverne0605bela.jpg

The Garb for Mr. Porter ist just in work... finished sewing my Slops, Shirt and two pair of Stockings. Coming up next: Short Coat, another pair of slops, breeches.

Meanwhile historical accuracy is important for me and Mr. Porters outfit will be from the 1760s.

Cheers mates :lol:

:lol:

Mr Porter.. if yer piratical soul be sweet an' kind then indeed I would be worried.. or better yet YOU should be worried! :: evil grinz::

An' I like that idea, RumbaRue. Tis a good idea!

But.. welcome here nonetheless. and hopes to see images of your piratical adventures.

<_<

Tempt Fate! an' toss 't all t' Hell!"

"I'm completely innocent of whatever crime I've committed."

The one, the only,... the infamous!