movie quotes game

Fancy

Alright I will give you all one more hint:

The quote was said by a professor in the movie.

Parsley, Sage, Rosemary and Thyme

BriarBannerHerbsGlowGreenBorder.jpg

Winter is an etching, spring a watercolor, summer an oil painting and autumn a mosaic of them all.

The Dimension of Time is only a doorway to open. A Time Traveler I am and a Lover of Delights whatever they may be.

There are nights when the wolves are silent and only the moon howls.

The Bishop's Wife?

(If not, I give.)

"I am so clever that sometimes I don't understand a single word of what I am saying.” -Oscar Wilde

"If we all worked on the assumption that what is accepted is really true, there would be little hope of advance." -Orville Wright

gallery_1929_23_24448.jpg

The Bishop's Wife?

(If not, I give.)

Mission, dear, you are correct. Your turn.

Winter is an etching, spring a watercolor, summer an oil painting and autumn a mosaic of them all.

The Dimension of Time is only a doorway to open. A Time Traveler I am and a Lover of Delights whatever they may be.

I'm? Honest and truly? (All praise Maitland McDonagh without whom I never would have gotten this one.) Hmm. I can either post a really hard one or a 3D quote. We just had a really hard one, so I'll go with the 3D quote. It's something that's been popping into and out of my mind lately anyhow:

http://www.markck.com/Sounds/botherme.mp3

"I am so clever that sometimes I don't understand a single word of what I am saying.” -Oscar Wilde

"If we all worked on the assumption that what is accepted is really true, there would be little hope of advance." -Orville Wright

Well, I was talking about Foghorn Leghorn in another post. That quote would be, "Go away boy (or son), ya' bother me." However, it is not a movie quote. If we were to be able to quote cartoons, I would have much to say and you would all have to kill me because I am a genius when it comes to cartoon quotes. :rolleyes: Well, old WB cartoon quotes. And Tom & Jerry cartoon quotes*.

"Eh, what's up, doc?"

"Allow me to introduce myself: My name is Wile E. Coyote, Genius. I am not selling anything, nor am I working my way through college..."

"I.."

"...and so, let's get down to cases: you are a rabbit and I am going to eat you for supper. Now don't try to get away! I am more muscular, more cunning, faster and larger than you are and I'm a genius! While you could hardly pass the entrance examinations to kindergarten. So, I'll give you the customary two minutes to say your prayers."

"I'm sorry mac. The lady of the house ain't home and besides, we mailed you people a check last week."

"Why do they always want to do it the hard way?"

[To Hare is Human, 1956]

"Allow me to introduce myself. My name is mud." (Coyote falls over.)

"And remember: mud spelled backwards is dumb!"

[Operation: Rabbit, 1952]

*Note: This is a sorry attempt at humor indeed, as there are almost no spoken lines in T&J cartoons. Except for Spike/Butch the Dog, Tuffy** mouse, Tom's owner, that annoying little duck that Jerry should just let Tom have and the Narrator (on occasion). (If I missed any, I apologize.)

**Also called Nibbles.

Well, I was talking about Foghorn Leghorn in another post. That quote would be, "Go away boy (or son), ya' bother me." However, it is not a movie quote.

Foghorn Leghorn does say that a lot.

However, as I recall quote orginates with W.C. Fields, but I don't know if its origin is in vaudville or the movies. I can't find it in a quick check of movies or on line, but my fading memory has him saying it as a throw away line in some movie, which doesn't count for quoting the movie!

Why am I sharing my opinion? Because I am a special snowflake who has an opinion of such import that it must be shared and because people really care what I think!

However, as I recall quote orginates with W.C. Fields, but I don't know if its origin is in vaudville or the movies. I can't find it in a quick check of movies or on line, but my fading memory has him saying it as a throw away line in some movie, which doesn't count for quoting the movie!

Quite right. However, never having seen a W.C. Fields movie, it can't be that. This movie came out about a half century after Fields died.

You are correct. That isn't W.C. Fields on the MP3. I failed to see you were talking about that.

In the words of another famous American- "Nevermind". :rolleyes:

Why am I sharing my opinion? Because I am a special snowflake who has an opinion of such import that it must be shared and because people really care what I think!

Gee, I didn't think this was a hard quote. I have actually given you two hints (although one of them is so absurdly subtle it is easily missed.)

How about another quote from the same movie (and the same character):

http://www.markck.com/Sounds/Missme.mp3

Absolutely correct. A personal favorite of mine. It borrows heavily from Tex Avery cartoons (Tex having worked at just about every major studio during the golden age of cartoons.) It's also full of great cartoon quotes and particularly gags, as Cpt. Sophia mentioned.

It's funny how many people (me among them at times) think that quotes like the first one came from the cartoons. Actually, the cartoons borrowed them from radio shows. This makes sense when you realize that many of the voice actors and directors came from there. (For those of you who liked the movie, read the graphic novel, if only for comparison. It's shocking how much more violent and cynical it is than the movie. This was originally supposed to be a horror movie! Fortunately, the director added the cartoon element. I confess, I like this movie better.)

That's from "High Fidelity" isn't it? I just rented "The Contract" last night, mainly because it has two of my favorite actors in it. I saw "1408" mainly because I had liked the novella so much but Cusack's performance was excellent as well.

Blackbead

"In the end, it's not the gold that sets our sails,

'Tis freedom and the promise of a better life

That raises our black flags."

Yep, I think that's right. (High Fidelity is a cool movie.)

In that same vein . . . this is a short one, but if you've ever heard the line delivered, you'll never forget it:

"And we who walk here, walk alone."

Or have I used that one already . . .

Blackbead

"In the end, it's not the gold that sets our sails,

'Tis freedom and the promise of a better life

That raises our black flags."

Is it from "The Haunting" ?

Yippie!! WooHoo! Thanks.

Now I need to think of one....give me a bit and I will post ye all a movie quote.

Thanks Blackbead.