movie quotes game

Fancy

I think Jill is correct but are we going to make her come up with the complete title?? What's the rule on that?

I'll take another guess, however, and say, "Gorky Park"?

"In the end, it's not the gold that sets our sails,

'Tis freedom and the promise of a better life

That raises our black flags."

Jill got it right, I think. (Being a bit of a Robin Hood buff, myself -- although I'm not a big fan of that particular movie.)

Full title -- Robin Hood: Prince of Thieves (very 90s syntax!).

robin.jpg

(I tend to say something similar whenever I have to visit Vancouver.)

pirate-jenny-text.jpg

It was an okay movie so long as you thought of it as a film about someone other than Robin of Locksley or the hero who became known as "Robin Hood." I don't mind a little bending and twisting of a legend but when you pretty much make complete left turns in the tale so that it becomes a new story, then it's not the old tale, it's a new one.

It was an okay movie so long as you thought of it as a film about someone other than Robin of Locksley or the hero who became known as "Robin Hood." I don't mind a little bending and twisting of a legend but when you pretty much make complete left turns in the tale so that it becomes a new story, then it's not the old tale, it's a new one.

Oh, I don't mind "twists" on the Robin Hood tale. Indeed, the legend has evolved and changed continuously over the centuries. The oldest surving versions of the legend, the medieval ballads such as RH and the Potter, the Monk and the Gest present a very different image of Robin and his merry band than we're familiar with from the "classic" Howard Pyle and Errol Flynn versions, etc.

I just didn't think Costner captured the "spirit" of Robin Hood, though. I far preferred the Patrick Bergin version from the same year:

1359.jpg

pirate-jenny-text.jpg

Now THERE is an actor I have always enjoyed watching act, ever since "Mountains of the Moon." I missed the RH version that he did; I'll have to put that one on the BB list.

Yeah - Kevin Costner was great physically, but the moment he opened his mouth...

My personal favorite is "Robin and Marian" with Sean Connery, Audrey Hepburn and Robert Shaw.

Oh, yeah - I have to come up with a quote.

"Monkeys do not laugh. Laughter is particular to men. "

RHJMap.jpg

Aye, you are both correct Red-Handed Jill and Hester. I am sorry I made that one too easy.

I did like the movie, but ignored Kevin Costner as much as possible. And, yes, Patrick Bergin, played an excellent Robin Hood.

Parsley, Sage, Rosemary and Thyme

BriarBannerHerbsGlowGreenBorder.jpg

Winter is an etching, spring a watercolor, summer an oil painting and autumn a mosaic of them all.

The Dimension of Time is only a doorway to open. A Time Traveler I am and a Lover of Delights whatever they may be.

There are nights when the wolves are silent and only the moon howls.

My personal favorite is "Robin and Marian" with Sean Connery, Audrey Hepburn and Robert Shaw.

Hear, hear! :P

(Connery is the consummate actor - whatever movie he appears in, you can almost assuredly depend on him. (Although Zardoz...well, it takes a certain fortitude on behalf of the viewer to view.))

zardoz13.jpg

:lol:

"I am so clever that sometimes I don't understand a single word of what I am saying.” -Oscar Wilde

"If we all worked on the assumption that what is accepted is really true, there would be little hope of advance." -Orville Wright

gallery_1929_23_24448.jpg

Hear, hear! :lol:

(Connery is the consummate actor - whatever movie he appears in, you can almost assuredly depend on him. (Although Zardoz...well, it takes a certain fortitude on behalf of the viewer to view.))

zardoz13.jpg

:P

Oh my. How did I ever miss that one? :P

Oh my. How did I ever miss that one? <_<

I suggest you keep on missing it... Connery is dependable as always, but the script...and the costumes... "Oh my" sums it up nicely.

"I am so clever that sometimes I don't understand a single word of what I am saying.” -Oscar Wilde

"If we all worked on the assumption that what is accepted is really true, there would be little hope of advance." -Orville Wright

What interesting...hair.  <_<

Connery's chest hair is one of the satiric targets of Myers' Austin Powers.

"You have to remember, in Britain, in the '60s, you could be a sex symbol and have bad teeth."

Dorian and I started watching Zardoz one night. And all I can say is that it was very sad indeed. <_< Needless to say we did not finish the movie.

Winter is an etching, spring a watercolor, summer an oil painting and autumn a mosaic of them all.

The Dimension of Time is only a doorway to open. A Time Traveler I am and a Lover of Delights whatever they may be.

Okay here is another quote...hopefully this is not as easy as the last one:

"It's a hell of a thing killing a man... You take away all he's got, and all he's ever gonna' have "

And didn't Captain Sophia get it right - "The Name of the Rose"?

If not, then let's keep trying; otherwise, Captain Eisley, you be on the gun deck.

Thanks Blackbead. I'm sure I have that one right. :rolleyes:

Here's a quote (with three characters speaking):

Person 1: They were indeed horrible destructive women. I dinna suppose you have such women in your country?

Person 2: Witches?

Person 3: Oh we have 'em. We pronounce it differently.

Perhaps we'll meet again under better circumstances. ---(---(@

Dead Men...Tell No Tales.

Welcome, Foolish Mortals...

Gene Kelly! (He's great.) Brigadoon. One of my sister's favorite movies.

And, just to close the loop, I think the errant quote is from Unforgiven unless I've got my Eastwood westerns mixed up. (Possibly I've got my Westwood easterns mixed up as well.)

Hum. A quote. I have one in mind, but I've got to make sure I've got it right.

Hah! Can't find it on-line! Back to the source material when I get a chance. (You guys are in for some fun!)

Slight pause whilst I adjust my accoutrements. (Means I'll post my quote tomorrow. Sorry for the delay.)

I am sorry for the interruption on the quotes. Thanks for explaining the rules. Me thinks the picture of Sean Connery thru me off a bit.

Aye, Mission, you are correct....it was the Unforgiven.

And I look forward to your next quote you post.

Ok, I know y'all have been waiting with baited breath (whatever that means), so here is the quote. I suspect it's hard b/c you won't be able to find it with Google, so I'll give you a hint: it is a black and white film. That and the content of the quote should be more than enough to tip off anyone who has seen this movie.

"Look, I didn’t expect this any more than you did, but now that it happened, let it happen. They want heroes, we got six of ‘em. All right, we throw in a seventh for good luck. Who’s counting? We’re doin’ it for yer ma’, kid."

I know this one, I know I know it and for the life of me can not remember it. Maybe if I bang me head a few times upon the desk it will jog me memory. :(:(

It involves WWII...