Goldcoast Pirate Faire-Ojai CA-Who's goin mates?!

Oh indeed it does! :)

It means that if I want to dare the evil of Small World, I do it before my birthday.

Also, while I'd like the Castle walkthrough and Space Mountain, I can survive without both..because POTC, barring bouts of the Stupid, is OPEN! :)

Many many thanks!

Now mind you, I'm still trying to figure out what to do ON my birthday itself, what with five days to play with. But I'm sure something should work itself into place.

Most important: Must. Pack. Rum.

VERY important.

Now..I keep hearing talk of the POTC costumes being down there. Are they gone already since the eBay auction is done? Or are there some that are/will be still there by that time? I'm in need of photgraphical stuff BADLY for sewing purposes..

"Don't hate me because I'm beautiful. Hate me because I am robbing you, tossing you overboard, and stealing your ship!"

-the only thing more dangerous than her.. is her needle-

• Replies 187
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

One of our pirates works at Ft. Vancouver Nat'l Historic Site. He just sent me a BIG box full of authentically baked hardtack, aka ship's biscuit! It was made from a historic recipe and baked in a brick oven as then would have back in the day. The only thing slightly different is that the wheat flour is no longer grown in the east, but in the west, so there is a little bit of a difference in the texture of the flour.

This stuff is really something else. If you've never had the opportunity to see what the evil tooth-breaking bread was really like, stop by our encampment and check it out. Even though I'd seen pictures, the real thing is much worse than what I had imagined.

I think I'm even going to hang a piece on my belt so that when people ask "What IS that THING?!!!" I can give them a good appreciation of their next meal! :D

-Claire "Poison Quill" Warren

Pyrate Mum of Tales of the Seven Seas

www.talesofthesevenseas.com

Ahoy, sailors of questionable intent!

A query for you veterans of piratical sociability:

What can one expect at Ojai? I've viewed the propaganda, attended the Ren faires at San Bernardino and Long Beach and even reconnoitered the brethren at Dana Point. What makes Ojai different? Make no mistake, I'm looking forward to passing through for sake of inspiration alone, but as I have an obligation in Burbank at 4pm on Saturday (and 3:30 on Sunday), it's a long haul for an all-too-brief visit.

So, does Ojai really feature the brethren or will my first mate and I be stepping around another parade toward the royal court?

Simply curious,

The Touring Gentleman

Only by great risks can great results be achieved.

-Xerxes

:) Never been there meself, this'll be the first for me an' me mate. I dunno 'bout the rest 'ere, although they seem a most excellent flavor of rogues, but, at the Gun battery at the water, ye'll find a couple 'o hardcore,no jive, real assed fuckin' pyrates, wif' thousands of sea miles under their keels,...be warned...So, head for the Topmast with the Square Yardarm off the Tallship Royaliste, and introduce ye'rself!...... :lol:

The pirate fair has a smaller turn out of non-pirate guests, so it is not as large-scale as the renaissance faires and similar events. It does, however, attract just about every pirate group in the state. So you'll get to meet us all. It is not big size-wise or crowd-wise, but it is 100% pirate! Yeah, the queens there too, and a handful of court people, but there is a very good, very colorful turn out of pirates. We've got a headcount of about 22 for Tales of the Seven Seas so far.

-Claire "Poison Quill" Warren

Pyrate Mum of Tales of the Seven Seas

www.talesofthesevenseas.com

Except for the fact that, due to great ego problems, they have Elizabeth I there (as the Pirate Queen no less! :lol: ) It's the only venue where you'll see a many great pirates crews in all their glory on the west coast. The encampments themselves are worth the visit.

The Port Royal Privateers (of which I am a member) will be presenting "The Tryal of Anne Bonny & Mary Read, a play which is *mostly* taken from the actual trial trannscripts (with a few humorous additions) of the those two most famous women pirates. It's the only place on the west coast to see this play.

So I think it would be worth your while to come and see the faire. :)

Red Maria

The Soul of Indecency

Ah, splendid!

...So, head for the Topmast with the Square Yardarm off the Tallship Royaliste, and introduce ye'rself!

To the Captain of the Royaliste, you are, by all accounts, a man among men. My first mate and I will certainly make way toward your encampment to give our regards.

:lol: ...Though I must admit, during the description of your nautical credentials and bona fides, I suffered a moment of confusion. Somewhere between "no jive" and "thousands of sea miles", I had visions of pirates with parsols and I was suddenly under the impression you were in sore need of shore leave. The salty talk came clear a moment later. My apologies, sir.

Batten down the black powder and may your overland journey be free of assaults by the marauders of moving violations, the Dread CHP.

I look forward to meeting you on the shores of Lake Casitas, sir.

The Touring Gentleman

-Xerxes

This'll be my first time as well so I'm interested in what's to be had. I've been to mostly Renaissance Faires with the pirates and many of them wouldn't acknowledge pirates at first, but we just got too many - but we still had a good time. I've found the smaller faires in Southern California much more pirate friendly, so I was happy to hear about Lake Casitas faire for pirates only. I used to be a member of the Bretheren, way back when. :) I ran into a number of them last weekend at Dana Point. As far as Dana Point, there really isn't much you can do but parade around but still had fun anyway. :lol:

Just spot the WildHair'd Wench.

Claire and Maria, your descriptions are invaluable and I thank you very much for taking the time to give accounts.

The Port Royal Privateers (of which I am a member) will be presenting "The Tryal of Anne Bonny & Mary Read,  a play which is *mostly* taken from the actual trial trannscripts (with a few humorous additions) of the those two most famous women pirates.  It's the only place on the west coast to see this play.

I actually have a few pictures of this presentation from the recent Dana Point engagement. I could post one or two if you are so interested.

Tizzy's unending supply... now that was a ruby atop a hill of gold.

So I think it would be worth your while to come and see the faire. :)

Very well then, it is settled.

My first mate (only mate, actually) and I are in discussion with certain members of your organization. Guilding appears to be an attractive option. For those so interested, my first mate and I will be meeting with some of your brethren at the Tam O'Shanter tommorow evening (Thursday, Sept. 11). Unless plans change, we have also persuaded one of PRP's long lost members to join us. You may remember her as the dear Brigit McGinity. The "Plowboys" will be the musical diversion for the evening (or at least half of them will be there) and I expect we'll all belt out a shanty or two before the violin forces us to douse our ears in rum.

-Xerxes

:) Aye,Gentleman...My mate's really my first mate...this Pyrate don't swing that way.....we both can always use shore leave, but, aint a thing wot resembles whatever you said on this ship. As far as the miles under the keel reference,matey...just that, sea miles undeer the keels....fitfth keel for me mate, third keel for me. Still sailing,on the water,24/7,coming to you from 1/4 mile offshore now.... :lol:

My first mate (only mate, actually) and I are in discussion with certain members of your organization. Guilding appears to be an attractive option. For those so interested, my first mate and I will be meeting with some of your brethren at the Tam O'Shanter tommorow evening (Thursday, Sept. 11).

AAAaaahhhhhhhhh..... a right FINE ale house!!

(and right over the hill from me very own!) B)

Well, you may not realize it but your looking at the remains of what was once a very handsome woman!

IronBessSigBWIGT.gif

AAAaaahhhhhhhhh..... a right FINE ale house!!

(and right over the hill from me very own!)  B)

Bess, you are certainly invited, as is anyone reading. Not that we've got a lock on the establishment, but I firmly believe where alcohol and song are present, the more the merrier. Can't miss us, I'll be the blond gentleman accompanied by a fine auburn-haired lass.

We usually show up around 7:30, sometimes earlier, sometimes later... but usually around 7:30. I'd post a picture of my person in civilian attire, but modesty prevents me. I'd rather post one of my mate, but if she didn't approve, I could find myself hanging from my own yardarm.

-Xerxes

I actually have a few pictures of this presentation from the recent Dana Point engagement. I could post one or two if you are so interested.

Tizzy's unending supply... now that was a ruby atop a hill of gold.

. :)

Oh that would be most welcome kind sir! :) Remember Happy Hour at Tizzy's is 4-7! ;-

Red Maria

The Soul of Indecency