Goldcoast Pirate Faire-Ojai CA-Who's goin mates?!

How many of you are planning to attend the Goldcoast Pirate Faire at Lake Casitas in Ojai CA?

Pirate Faire Website

Tales of the Seven Seas will have an encampment. I would love to meet some of you in person! Additionally, if there are any crewless/guildless pirates looking for a hoarde to hang out with, we always welcome new pirates to join us!

-Claire "Poison Quill" Warren

Pyrate Mum of Tales of the Seven Seas

www.talesofthesevenseas.com

• Replies 187
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi! My name is Braydon, I live in Santa Barbara California. I'm really interested in going to the upcoming faire. I have ALWAYS been addicted to pirates, but have not yet dressed up for a faire. So I was wondering if anyone could direct me to some site that sells clothes from that period, or sites that reference articles of clothing from any given pirate period. I would apprechiate any help, so that I can be well fitted to attend the faire. THANKS!

With no quarter given,

Capt. Edward Teach

<_<

Ohhhh! I'm goin' i'm goin'. *jumps up and down like a chiuaua on caffeine* ....cough cough... i mean, i would really 100x want ta help ya out anyway i can. I'm a guildless pirate lass in need of peoples like me. Clap me in irons if yer short on prisoners <_< Maybe it will help me snap out of my stage fright :lol: ...Is it ok if i bring one of my piRATS?

Braydon aka Cap'n Teach,

If you'd like to have a pirate gang to hang with, we'd love to have you with us. We're based in northern CA and you might get more mileage out of one of the southern CA guilds in the long run, but we'd love to have you join us in Ojai. Drop me an email at talesofthesevenseas@hotmail.com and I can add you to our mailing list and fill you in on details of what we're up to. As far as costuming, we do have loaner gear if you'd like to borrow some for your first venture out or, as Stynky suggested, the plunder section is good, Ebay and the merchants list at NQG.

:huh: Nay,lassie, they be around 350 lbs. apiece and the naval carriages. Dunno about postin' a picture, better wait a while, easier with email,don't know how to attach stuff on pyracy email! :ph34r: plus, ye'd hafta come north to board me, as there don't seem ta be a passage from t' sea to the site! I draw six feet......

Thanks so much for the suggestions maties! I have found a wonderful shirt and jacket combo. Yet I still am confused to the type of pant's and shoes worn buy these scurvy dogs. Any more suggestions on these? Thanks!

P.S. Thanks Claire for the invite to your Pirate Posse. It looks like I will definitely be attending this Faire, so that being the case I'd love to join up with some other 1st class pirates. I will be emailing ya. Arrr...

P.S.S. I also be wondering the age range of so said group. Not that I mind hangin out with the well learned pirates, but I am 22, so it'd be nice to know of anybody round about my age that will be attending!

With no quarter given,

Capt. Edward Teach

:ph34r:

Thanks so much for the suggestions maties! I have found a wonderful shirt and jacket combo. Yet I still am confused to the type of pant's and shoes worn buy these scurvy dogs. Any more suggestions on these? Thanks!

P.S.S. I also be wondering the age range of so said group. Not that I mind hangin out with the well learned pirates, but I am 22, so it'd be nice to know of anybody round about my age that will be attending!

With no quarter given,

Capt. Edward Teach

B)

None of us are our age lad! That's why we paly at being pirates ;-) There will be people of all ages there don't you worry. B)

As for shoes there are several ways you can go. If you're really doing Teach aka Blackbeard (if you're just starting you might want to consider someone less known or make-up your won pirate persona. Otherwise you'll spend a large amount of time doing research, you'd have very enormous shoes to fill (pun intended). There are alot of expectations when you call yourself Edward Teach! Also do you really want to wear lighted fuses in your hair? ;-) ) most illustrations I have seen of him show him (18th c. and newer) with standard 18th c. men's shoe (square-toe,silver buckle low heel). This doesn't mean you *can't* wear bucket boots. Many pirates (& other sailors) wore rope sandals. There will be someone at Ojai selling rope sandals cheap. It depends on who you doing and what you are comfortable with.

I will be at the faire with the Port Royal peopl. I may do a fight with my fight partner Iron Bess or I might belly dance or do both! But not at the same time B)

I look forward to this year's event!

Red Maria

The Soul of Indecency

The Port Royal Privateers have a nice costuming tips page with brief, basic info here:

PRP's costuming tips

I agree, trying to costume as Blackbeard would require a lot of research, and major bucks. You'll probably want to start out just bein' a pirate.

I usually suggest a pair of solid-color or striped drawstring pants and a basic renaissance shirt. Add a headscarf and a waist sash or a wide belt. Another way to avoid buying a renaissance shirt is to search the thrift stores for a horizontally striped shirt in red or blue stripes. Some of those look OK if you're trying to be very conservative.

For shoes, real pirates were barefoot on ship, but it's a bit risky to do that. You can generally get away with any simple leather lace-up shoes. Leather sandals will work too. If you want to invest in a pair of pirate boots, the best deal I've found on pirate boots is here:

Hot Sexy Wear

Scoll half way down the page past all the kinky boots and you'll find some very nice boots reasonably priced. I have them and love them. The tops fold over for a great pirate look.

Then you're ready to go! To give it more of a look, you can accessorize by hanging things on your belt like a tankard, whip, shackles, jailer's keys, etc.

What you DON'T want to do for a costume is by a pirate halloween costume. If it comes in a bag it's not what you want. Trust me on this one. If you want an elaborate costume, a few stores have theatrical rentals that are nice. Emphasis on some.

Our group has loaner gear available for people who need it. The nice thing about it is that once started, people begin to donate their old gear as they grow with the group and improve their costumes.

Here are some little photos showing loaner gear assembled from thrift store finds- Nuthin' fancy but a great place to start!!

Loaner2.JPGLoaner1.JPG