Pyrate Con 2008

Bosun Carmina

Well, what a great time we had. Everyone was fantastic. It never ceases to amaze me how golden pirates are.

I have part of me write up and part of me picture gallery up at me website.

Take a gander. If I have a picture of you up, send me yer name so I can make sure you get properly labeled.

The trip was a lot of fun. Blackbead was very generous allowing me to sell me leather and dice alongside Rumba Rue.

We got to meet a lot of new pirate friends and are looking forward to next year.

Drop by me site The Sage Lion

p.s. Drop by Cutthroats of Corona this weekend in Corona, CA and visit the Alliance of the Double Cross encampment and do some gambling.

Captain Dunn, The Sage Lion

Thank ye,

Captain Sage

thesagelion.comthesagelion.com

Just added a bunch more pictures on our myspace. If you have any great shots that you think may be magazine wurthy feel free to stop by our forum and share them or email a few to me.

I will be uploading a couple hundred more pictures to our myspace over the weekend.

-1st Mate of Pirates Magazine

-Bladesmith/Owner of That Works Studio

http://youtube.com/thatworks

thatworks.shop

Thanks for sharing all the photos and fun stories. It looked absolutely a blast!

Such BEAUTIFUL AND FABULOUS COSTUMES! Oh my, I bet those took forever to put together...

So most of this area where the Con was at was spared the storms or is this the rebuilding of the area? Not quite sure where the heaviest damage was done in that district.

And please could someone help me with these Jacks...I think one is Ronnie but then it really doesn't look like him...

l_50fff8b34d039cff943a457ad0a47c93.jpg

kttcsignature.jpg

Alright, I have the rest of my pics posted in me gallery. Ye can check out last year as well there.

I have so much t'write about that I only made it until Friday evening.

Over the next few days I will be updating...wait, probably after that. We gots CUTTHROATS OF CORONA!!!. Drop by the Alliance's Gambling den. Cards, Shut the box, dice, and many other fun ways t'lighten yer load.

Matt, great havin' lunch with you and Apple Booty and Klaus. You guys are first rate. Drop by me site and take a look at the pics.

Dutch, t'was our please. Cannot beat shrimp on a bun. By the way, that heel got me. I totally ate it going out to the balcony for the Pyrate Feast.

If'n ye goes by me site, drop me a line.

Regards,

Captain Dunn, The Sage Lion

thesagelion.com

Thank ye,

Captain Sage

thesagelion.comthesagelion.com

Another lurker from the shadows here.

Had a blast at Pyrate Con. Was fortunate I got to spend most of the time hanging out with Greg, Jo and Cap'n H. Some of my best friends there. It was great meeting everyone I did. Look to see you all next year!

Have my pics up here:

www.myspace.com/madjackscove

http://captainteague.hi5.com

blank.jpg

"That as to hanging, it is no great hardship, for were it not for that, every cowardly fellow would turn pirate and so unfit the Seas,

that men of courage must starve."

"Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates."

Aye, Pearl! Tell!

~Lady B

<_<

Ah, but I will only whisper it in yer ear, sos you'll have to wait until we meet in person to hear. ;)

Damn, lass... ye strike a hard bargain.

Though I must admit... I have been startin' t' think about the Fair down there. When ever it be. Only cause my dad be harpin' upon me t' come visit him. :P I need another reason to go down besides going to visit m' dad. That and I need t' conjure up some coinage to go.

Lovin' th' pictures, mates.

~Lady B

:huh:

Tempt Fate! an' toss 't all t' Hell!"

"I'm completely innocent of whatever crime I've committed."

The one, the only,... the infamous!

Ah, I see my friend Ron was there, an awesome Jack Sparrow impersonator. I saw he updated pix from this event the other day on his myspace page. It's also great to see there's some really good-looking Barbossas. Greg makes an awesome Barbossa! :ph34r:

christinebarbossagy7.jpg

Oooh, is that the other Barbossa I see in the pictures is Ron? What be his Myspace addy, I'll befriend him. :)

Yes, Greg makes a pretty awesome Barbossa. He mentioned he wanted to take off with the other Barbossa's coat. :)

~Lady B

:ph34r:

...Yes, Greg makes a pretty awesome Barbossa. He mentioned he wanted to take off with the other Barbossa's coat. :)

Heh, that he did! He had a bit o' coat envy in him. However that was fixed to a degree with his sword happiness, heh.

blank.jpg

"That as to hanging, it is no great hardship, for were it not for that, every cowardly fellow would turn pirate and so unfit the Seas,

"Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates."

;)

Coat envy and pistol envy, too. Trying to hunt down that other Barbossa, who he is, to talk to him about the pistol. Greg mentioned he made the pistol.

I keep seeing more and more pictures from PyrateCon. Especially from a couple other places. How much fun folks had.

Hoping to attend PyrateCon '09. Hoping being the key word.

Already some are asking when '09 is and what's being scheduled! Some folks are ready to book rooms and wanting to start getting ready for '09! :)

~Lady B

;)

M'Lady:

I bespoke these exact same queries to the proprietor in chief of this most excellent festival. He says to me, he does, "we're looking into several options, one of which being a larger place with one big room for the vendors and smaller rooms for the various talks, and the like. The tradeoff there being that this would require more coin, if ye be gettin' me meaning." There be a lot of discussion going on right now with all sorts of factors floatin' in the breeze - how far do we want to stray from the Vieux Carre? How much is too much to ask the vendors to pay for booth space? What's the value of having a bigger place if the rooms are too expensive for most of the folks who want to attend? I think it may be some time before we hear anything new unless there be a miracle occur and some incredible sponsor appear on the horizon to make all of these questions moot.

Your humble servant,

Blackbead

"In the end, it's not the gold that sets our sails,

'Tis freedom and the promise of a better life

That raises our black flags."

We had several things lined up for this year. A bigger better vendor room and poss an outdoor space for vendors to set up tents so that passer byers would see something going on and stop instead of hiding the vendors in the 3rd floor of a hotel. That all fell apart at some point.

Hopefully we can spark some of that again with Andre at some point.

But yes, let the planning start now.

thatworks.shop

Coat envy and pistol envy, too. Trying to hunt down that other Barbossa, who he is, to talk to him about the pistol. Greg mentioned he made the pistol.

Yes, apparently the other Hector constructed near 90% of the pistol he had. From what I saw of it, it looked pretty good.

blank.jpg

Already some are asking when '09 is and what's being scheduled! Some folks are ready to book rooms and wanting to start getting ready for '09! :)

I'd be in that group! Heck, I AM already plannin' for '09.

I'm just prayin they keep it in April or after.....

blank.jpg

Hahaha... April may be a good time of the year as ye don't want it around hurricane season. :P

Hopefully flooding won't be so bad next year.

As to rooms, vendors, etc.... T'was pricy enough especially with the admission to the event. The hotels not so bad. But getting to the event was terrible enough with gas being high, whether you flew or drove.

But that be a grand idea is to move it to the streets with some vendors. Granted may be mighty pricy that way unless the city be willing to work with ya on something since it's bring folks to New Orleans and tourism.

:::Shrugs::: room for improvements for future events. After all... it is only a new event not even 5 years old yet. Growing pains that prove to be a grand event in due time. :ph34r:

I'll be searching for him. Wanting that pistol or another likeness of it. Been seeking one just like it for a few years now.

And aye, Matt! True.

~Lady B

:P

posting this here, NOT because its piratecon only related, but because more of you might need to know this.. This didnt happen at a piratecon event, but it did happen at N'Orleans. Tis better to be safe and check on what charges you have on your cards after traveling!

Graydog had his credit card cloned. He still had the actual card with him but someone took the numbers and charged a bit to his card.

https://pyracy.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=12709

wishing I could have gone too but love the pics!

Pirate Lass with sass, brass, a cutlass, an a nice *ss. Capt of the FOOLS GOLD PIRATES

BLAST BREAST CANCER! GET A MAMMOGRAM AND SAVE YOUR TREASURED CHEST:

http://www.myspace.c...iratesthinkpink

http://www.myspace.c...oolsgoldpirates

CAPT OF THE ONLY PYRITE SHIP AFLOAT: THE FOOL'S GOLD- look for us and Captain Merrydeath on facebook!

merrydeathsigsmall.jpg

We were blessed with over 60 new subscriptions at PyrateCon, 26 re-subscriptions, and since PyrateCon was over. . . almost 140 NEW subscriptions (a mix of one & two-year subscriptions). . . plus, we sold out of all our loose back issues AND picked up a ton of new advertisers.

Although the income is nice. . . our proudest achievement is that we raised over $350 from both the painting auctions and our Spring Ad contributions. . .

but we didn't feel that was good enough, so The Pyrates Way added another $150 out of what we made at PyrateCon to bring a total of $500 that we'll be giving over to PPNOM. org (adding to the $$ already donated to them earlier in the year).

The Pyrates Way magazine enjoys giving back to our pirate brethren whether it be in $$ raised for a good cause or just giving booty to our subscribers. We're in this not to make money but to share our love of piracy with everyone.

A big HUZZAHHHHH to all those who helped at PyrateCon and a bigger cheer for The Pyrates Way Wench of the Year: Nessa and The Pyrates Way Pyrate of the Year: Talderoy!

Wait till you see the pictures! www. pyratesway. com to subscribe. . .

and do so by June 15 or you'll miss out on the best PyrateCon coverage of all!

A fun time was had by all but yes, a bigger venue that can handle all of the vendors and events in one location would definitely be an improvement. Great to meet so many of you.

Our pictures are on our myspace page at:

http://www.myspace.com/pyrateleather

I still need to join the Pirate Fez take over. I meant to pick one up before we left but things got crazy on Sunday.

thatworks.shop

The tradeoff there being that this would require more coin, if ye be gettin' me meaning." There be a lot of discussion going on right now with all sorts of factors floatin' in the breeze - how far do we want to stray from the Vieux Carre? How much is too much to ask the vendors to pay for booth space? What's the value of having a bigger place if the rooms are too expensive for most of the folks who want to attend?

Your humble servant,

Blackbead

Yes, those would definitely help make the event even better, but at a higher cost would put it out of my price range, especially if my experience of this year is repeated. I had a roomie back out at such a late notice I wasn't able to save up enough extra money to cover that extra cost and/or find a replacement.

We don't want to over-saturate the market with PyrateCon2009 just yet but there are tons of plans going on and it'll be even better than 08 (if that's possible!).

Yes, the event will be in New Orleans. Yes, it will be the same weekend (falls between the local French Quarter festival and the Jazz festival). Yes, it will kick ass.

As for vendor info, hotels, etc. . . stay tuned, bat fans.