Random Thoughts

Blackfoot

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

random thought: How did we become this anal retentive anti-bacterial germophobic society? We were filthy slobs less than 300 years ago throwing our excriment out the window on who ever happened to be unfortunate enough to be below and gee, the human race survived. Now everybody is so paranoid, you'd think one speck of dirt was going to kill them. Yet for all our cleanliness we're just getting sicker.

No that's not just my excuse for the current state of my house either :lol:

"If part of the goods be plundered by a pirate the proprietor or shipmaster is not entitled to any contribution." An introduction to merchandize, Robert Hamilton, 1777

Slightly Obsessed, an 18th Century reenacting blog

Wagh...... I kind have this interesting kinda bra fetish.....

NO I don't wear them.... and ouch... they look uncomfortable.....

I just like how they look on women ( Hey.. it's not THAT bad of a fetish...)....... SO the banner add at the top of every page shows a lady flashing her bra......

But because it's always there..... Dang... no fun any more......

Now it getting anoying......

They should change the add.....

I'd say show different ladys flashing thier bras...... but .... hey... that's my fetish..... lets give equil oppertunity to other fetishes...... :lol:

I'v heard rummors that there is something "interesting " alla bout "toast"..... but thats dirty secrets is in another thread................... :lol:

You know, when I finally saw that ad today the first thing I thought was...

Oh that's the ad that Mr. Hand likes so much.

Guess you've mentioned it a few times eh?

"If part of the goods be plundered by a pirate the proprietor or shipmaster is not entitled to any contribution." An introduction to merchandize, Robert Hamilton, 1777

Guess you've mentioned it a few times eh?

Well yah,,,,, :lol:

I'm having a heck of a time getting Second life to work.... (it's a kinda virtual world......(

I realy like the idea of it..... but I'm getting kinda tired of my avitar NOT showing up..... it gets diffficult moving around in a virtual world when all you can see of yourself is a stupid necklace......

Obvously there is a bit of "learning curve " in the world....... but heck.... as much fun as it sounds..... I'm about to just give up on it...................

random thought: How did we become this anal retentive anti-bacterial germophobic society? We were filthy slobs less than 300 years ago throwing our excriment out the window on who ever happened to be unfortunate enough to be below and gee, the human race survived. Now everybody is so paranoid, you'd think one speck of dirt was going to kill them. Yet for all our cleanliness we're just getting sicker.

Personally, I blame the media, ever looking for sweeps-month crises to raise their rating so they can charge the advertisers more. My advice: don't watch the news during sweeps (Feb, Apr/May and Nov). In fact, you're probably just better off not watching it at all. :rolleyes:

This looks kind of interesting: Creating Fear: News and the Construction of Crisis by David Altheide.

From Amazon:

"Fear is pervasive in the United States. Numerous opinion polls indicate that American citizens remain fearful despite clear evidence that most citizens are healthier, safer, and happier than ever before. Why? Dr. Altheide, whose interpretive studies of the mass media are well known, provides an answer based on a variant of frame analysis of news reports and popular culture.

"Availing himself of electronic information bases, Altheide employs a method, which he calls "tracking discourse," to map how the nature and extent of use of the word "fear" has changed since the 1980s; how the topics associated with fear, the topics of the media discourse, have also changed over the same period (e.g., the emphasis "moves" over time across AIDS, crime, immigrants, race, sexuality, schools, and children); and how certain news sources prevail over others, thus protectively insulating themselves from criticism of the premises of their discourse frames.

"The creative use of fear by news media and social control organizations has produced a "discourse of fear"—the awareness and expectation that danger and risk are lurking everywhere. Case studies illustrate how certain organizations and social institutions benefit from the exploitation of such fear construction. One social impact is a manipulated public empathy: We now have more "victims" than at any time in our prior history. Another, more troubling result is the role we have ceded to law enforcement and punishment: We turn ever more readily to the state and formal control to protect us from what we fear. This book, which attempts through the marshalling of significant data to interrupt that vicious circle of fear discourse, will be of interest to sociologists, communications scholars, and criminologists."

Mycroft: "My brother has the brain of a scientist or a philosopher, yet he elects to be a detective. What might we deduce about his heart?"

John: "I don't know."

Mycroft: "Neither do I. But initially he wanted to be a pirate."

Mission_banner5.JPG

This one sounds good, too:

False Alarm: The Truth about the Epidemic of Fear by Marc MD Siegel

"Life today for citizens of the developed world is safer, easier, and healthier than for any other people in history thanks to modern medicine, science, technology, and intelligence. So why is an epidemic of fear sweeping America? The answer, according to nationally renowned health commentator Dr. Marc Siegel, is that we live in an artificially created culture of fear. In False Alarm, Siegel identifies three major catalysts of the culture of fear—government, the media, and big pharma. With fascinating, blow-by-blow analyses of the most sensational false alarms of the past few years, he shows how these fearmongers manipulate our most primitive instincts—often without our even realizing it. False Alarm shows us how to look behind the hype and hysteria, inoculate ourselves against fear tactics, and develop the emotional and intellectual skills needed to take back our lives."

"You're supposed to be dead!"

"Am I not?"

gallery_1929_23_24448.jpg

Ok...Ive been up since 4 at the hotel by my job (Got Press ganged yesterday and will be here 3 days B)

I normally work the airplanes..but in this weather (or wx in airport terms) everyone pitches in and I got pitched into managing the terminal 6am to 6 pm then back to the hotel and back later to work airplanes....here since 6

3 medical emergencies, 2 accidents.. CNN was here filming and I had ta kick em out...homeless people, crazy people, cancelled flights...

Calgon take me away! :rolleyes::rolleyes:

Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help....

Her reputation was her livelihood.

I'm a pirate, love. By nature and by choice!

My inner voice sometimes has an accent!

My wont? A delicious rip in time...

No that's not just my excuse for the current state of my house either :rolleyes:

You mean those insidious, creepy, lurking in every corner and creviss little guys just waiting to kill ya?

Oh...er...oops...wait...according to the Big Boss, those are terrorists.

Never mind.

...schooners, islands, and maroons

and buccaneers and buried gold...

RAKEHELL-1.jpg

You can do everything right, strictly according to procedure, on the ocean, and it'll still kill you. But if you're a good navigator, a least you'll know where you were when you died.......From The Ship Killer by Justin Scott.

"Well, that's just maddeningly unhelpful."....Captain Jack Sparrow

Found in the Ruins — Unique Jewelry

Found in the Ruins — Personal Blog

Still trying to figure out how the dark ages happened....I mean I KNOW how they did..just WTF? Baffles me....

Wonder where we would have been if Rome kept kickin..

(Fully expects a fabulous answer fron BlackJohn on this) :rolleyes:

*moved back here after the bug picture thing split*

I think I should have been a detective. Or maybe I'm just too nosy. My mom did always refer to me as a "finder", as in, if there is something that is being hidden, I'll find it, most of the time while not even realizing what I'm doing. Wonder if there are other people like that?

Still trying to figure out how the dark ages happened....I mean I KNOW how they did..just WTF? Baffles me....
Look no further than the church...

Kinda right.... there are a lot of reasons.....

My favorite......

Basicaly, everyone figured that Christ was going to be coming back really soon.... And if that was going to be happining.... why bother building things or hastle with the up-keep.....

<there is more to this... but I don't want to turn it into a religous/historical debate...>

My favorite......

Basicaly, everyone figured that  Christ was going to be coming back really soon.... And if that was going to be happining.... why bother building things or hastle with the up-keep.....

Yeah, but the founders of the church though that too. So ennui created by the imminency of the coming of Christ would go all the way back to 1 and 2 A.D. The dark ages didn't start until around 500 AD.

"You're supposed to be dead!"

"Am I not?"

gallery_1929_23_24448.jpg

Where is Patrick lately? His boss must be spoiling him again..

Hmmmmm....

Red CAt rolls about holdin her tummy an laughin at JAcky n Chole.. :lol::lol: