Port Royal, Jamaica

sirhenrymorgan

Sterling looked down at what was cautiously placed in hold. Eyes lowered. More words, formed with difficulty as a numbness spread within him.

"It was no lie," he whispered. "She and the child are better off without the likes of me. She does not need to be shackled to a condemned man. Do you really think they will not find me out and come for me? What then? She does not deserve such a stain, nor does the child. I came today for one thing only... to see her one last time."

"I being shot through the left cheek, the bullet striking away great part of my upper jaw, and several teeth which dropt down the deck where I fell... I was forced to write what I would say to prevent the loss of blood, and because of the pain I suffered by speaking."~ Woodes Rogers

Crewe of the Archangel

http://jcsterlingcptarchang.wix.com/creweofthearchangel#

http://creweofthearchangel.wordpress.com/

• Replies 3.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Plagued with bad dreams and unsettling news of her Captain’s death, Lilly did not find sleep that night. Instead, she found herself taking inventory of her past. How cruel she had been thinking only of her position and wealth, not giving much thought to the kindness and the compassion that Captain Sterling showed her in return.

Perhaps the need of affection was greater than what she could give to him. Oh, she was there for him, ‘tis true, but what she did not give to him in conversation and support she always made up for it in bed. She would sacrifice a few hours here and there so he would be assured that she was the height of his affection. Yet, the connection she dearly wanted with him always seemed too clouded with the thoughts of his dead wife Tess.

“I will not share my wedding bed with a ghost!” She would to tell the Empress. Lilly knew that in order for her to ‘win over’ the Captain’s affections she would have to seduced more than just his body and purse. She began to think that her attempts were paying off until Lord Darnly moved into the picture. It was then her life became…complicated.

Lord Darnly offered money, power, and the position of a gentle woman! When Lord Darnly won her over with these things…he had done the deal! He had seduced her as she seduced Captain Sterling. With images of a fine life, finery of a well placed household and power which she could obtain only in marriage, it was hard not to fall for such a creature…even if she did not love him. Now looking back at the path she had paved, she regretted everything. Captain Sterling only wished to love her. Why was it so hard for Lilly to truly understand that? Perhaps it was only now that she really loved him for who he truly was.

Oh, the things she did to his heart! She turned his head toward the wall and pulled the sheet to her face. Tears flowing freely now as she tried ever so quietly to hush her soft sounds of crying.

The little black dog raised his head as her sounds could not be muffled by the keen ears of the Captain’s watchdog. He quickly jumped on the end of the bed and curled up close to Lilly’s side. She hugged the little black dog and continued to cry lightly. “I’ve been a fool…and Damn fool!” She said to herself as she pet the dog.

“I shall make this right…no matter what I do…Johnny needs to know that my heart is true.” And with that she tried once again to close her eyes and sleep.

photo-2975.jpg?__rand=0.71617700+1286403
Member of "The Forsaken"

After a wakeful night, and a stunningly wonderful breakfast provided by Ludo, I went up on deck to make arrangements for provisioning. This task I assigned to Tunny and Jimmy, who worked together as well as father and son, although I knew them to be unrelated.

In my sleepless night, I had thought of one more way to stall leaving Port Royal that would not seem out of order to the crew. It had been over a year since the Rakehell had been careened. Before the purchased stores were loaded on board, I would have her bottom scraped cleaned. I gave Africa the task of arranging it at the careening yard. I gave each crew member a bit of ready coin, and advised them to find lodgings ashore until the ship was ready to sail again. I figured that would give me three days to decided where the Rakehell would go next. Three days to decided if I truly wanted to go anywhere at all.

By late morning all the arrangements were made. We would move the Rakehell to the careening yard at first light on the morrow. With a flush of anticipation, I left the ship, the key to Sebastain's room clutched in one hand.

...schooners, islands, and maroons

and buccaneers and buried gold...

RAKEHELL-1.jpg

You can do everything right, strictly according to procedure, on the ocean, and it'll still kill you. But if you're a good navigator, a least you'll know where you were when you died.......From The Ship Killer by Justin Scott.

"Well, that's just maddeningly unhelpful."....Captain Jack Sparrow

Found in the Ruins — Unique Jewelry

Found in the Ruins — Personal Blog

“I will not let you leave without me!” She muttered. It was then the three of them quickly took to the task of chase!

It had been over a half an hour since Bess, young Mr. Davis and Abbi gave chase after the rouges who invaded the old mill. Young Mr. Davis quickened his pace as Bess tried to keep up with him and Abbi, trying as may, to keep up with the two of them.

Soon the two of them stopped after they heard Abbi shout up to them. “Enough! I cannot go any further!” It was then young Mr. Davis and Bess quickly turned their attentions to Abbi. They found her perched on a log next to the path. She was breathing heavy as she tried to catch her breath. “I am not full of piss and vinegar as I use to be.” She said as Bess and young Mr. Davis stood in front of her. “I am glad that neither of you were injured in the row. Let us go home and pitch that damn fool’s body into the sea.”

Bess looked horrified. “Do you not fear that those two will not come back for him?” She said holding Abbi’s hand. “Nay child, they saw the deed which was done by young Mr. Davis’ hand. They not be back, not for him.”

Young Mr. Davis looked at the two women. “Abbi, what exactly did they want?” “A key,” Bess replied. “They took possession of a key that was hidden in Abbi’s bible.” Young Mr. Davis crossed his arms and looked down at Abbi. “This wouldn’t have anything to do with those stories Doctor Reiley’s been telling me about your husband’s adventures, would it?” Abbi looked up at young Mr. Davis and smiled. “Every one of those tales are as true as the Gospel itself! I lived with my husband for near two and twenty years and we never kept a thing from one another…except this one thing. He said if he were to tell me the whole story, my life would be in peril.”

“Well, Abbi, he didn’t and yet you and Bess were surely in trouble this tonight! Come now, back to the mill and we will see what tales that dead man will tell us.” The three of them started walked back to the old mill. Bess reached for young Mr. Davis’ hand. “Thank you.” She muttered. “Thank you for saving us.”

Bessbeingcalledout.jpg

Bess Hagarty - Indentured Servant

Hamish woke with a start, hearing the soft sounds of the woman weeping in the bed he sat next to.

"Ah, dear lady, why do ye cry? Do yer wound be hurtin? I ken rouse the doctor if ye wish." he whispered softly, noticing her still form hugging the little dog to her breast. "mayhaps ye be needin a glass o wine ta calm ye?" he turned and filled a glass from the decanter upon the table.

"It be near ta mornin'. I should be about findin that scallywag what done this to ye."

Yo ho ho and a bottle of rum...

Lilly turned her head towards Hamish’s voice. She was greeted with a smile. “Ney, good Captain. Do not wake the doctor. I weep for another, not for myself. My back is sore, but I can manage, thank you.” She slowly turned her body over as she heard the sound of the wine being poured.

“I am sure that you will find Master Hutchinson. But truth be told….I rather you find Captain Sterling.” Hamish’s face showed evidence of surprise. She could just hear his thoughts at the very moment. With Scottish tone announcing, “Not likely to find a ghost walking about Port Royal Mistress, am I?” She watched his face. It was a mixture of pain and pity.

“I am a fool to have loved him, Captain. I would give my life for him if I had a second chance. I only wish to tell him how I feel…if it be my last dying breath!”

photo-2975.jpg?__rand=0.71617700+1286403
Member of "The Forsaken"

Sterling looked down at what was cautiously placed in hold. Eyes lowered. More words, formed with difficulty as a numbness spread within him.

"It was no lie," he whispered. "She and the child are better off without the likes of me. She does not need to be shackled to a condemned man. Do you really think they will not find me out and come for me? What then? She does not deserve such a stain, nor does the child. I came today for one thing only... to see her one last time."

Sabastian bit down on the anger which threatened to call reckoning for every injustice witnessed or experienced in his four and twenty years. Sterling's elbow was gripped with vice like qualities and direction was indicated further from Sister's earshot.

"So that is the way of it, then? Where is the condemning proof?! Do you not have a vessel in which freedom might be gained. A craft to slip the night and into memory?"

Normal good nature dissipated into something else, "And you thought it wise to choose the path you have?"

He chuckled with disbelief, "Mon Dieu....and you call me Pratt?"

Glance was stolen to where Sibling remained, "Tres vien, Monsieur..."

Hand was extended palm up to receive document.

Sterling jerked arm free.

"Aye that I do, a ship that will take me far from here. A ship that is so well known that I will not be free in any port. A ship SHE will not set foot upon. So where does that leave us? As to condemning proof...," he faltered. "I only know what I have been told... " voice fell to whisper. "I cannot recall any of what has passed."

He moved closer to Devareaux, eyes ready to shed tears. "My God, I love your sister and now I find she is carrying my child...the choice to deceive her was forced upon me. Do you truly think for one minute that she is the only one in pain?"

"I being shot through the left cheek, the bullet striking away great part of my upper jaw, and several teeth which dropt down the deck where I fell... I was forced to write what I would say to prevent the loss of blood, and because of the pain I suffered by speaking."~ Woodes Rogers

Crewe of the Archangel

Non..." he replied searching the other's expression. Dauphin considered all presented afore him and dropped extended palm. Sidelong glimpse was given, " She will follow you if asked...even aboard. But I caution that she has suffered greatly with the recent events and you should be most tender in her treatment....."

Verbose was portrayed with more warning then statement of fact.

Sterling's eyes narrowed slightly as he looked hard at other. "Do you honestly think I could be anything but where she is concerned?" He turned toward wife that once again belonged to him. "Burn it," he said to brother in law. "Chere will ye come with me now?" he asked and yet he dared not hope.

Aurore's facial expression was a kaleidoscope of renderings. She gazed at Mari, then to Brother. One hesitant step was taken forward and right hand fell protectively to stomach. Another glance was slyed to Mari, uncertain with all that had passed. Sabastian gave encouraging nod and she continued forward, closing the gap between.

Sterling waited, hand once again extended toward loved one. All heated words yet not unspoken regarding only daughter frozen over to be discussed calmly at a later date. Certain he was now that all must have been just further confusion. "I love you," he said, mindless of brother's presence. "I never meant for this to happen."

With cautious reach, small fingers gave quick brush of Mari's own, then rested there. Deep olive sights searched his face briefly and what was seen there gave comfort to the angst of her inner depths. Another step forward brought her close and she rested cheek to his chest, listening to the calming sound of his heart.

Scarred check leaned down to rest upon dark curls as arms moved about to protect and hold close that which had been believed gone to him. "Habibi, I am lost without you." Already Beloved's touch was proving salve to shattered soul. He would have been content to remain as he was, holding her close, but knew all too well that, that now was impossible. "We must go. It is a danger to us both to be about. Come with me... please."

"Pour quoi?' came her reply as she eased back from his chest and cast fleeting glance to sibling. "Je ne comprends, Sucre' "

The urgency in his tone was unsettling and though she was conditioned to leave with slightest notice, Aurore was confused as to where and how that might apply here in Jamaica...or to them.

Sterling looked to her then to brother in law. Eyes tightly closed briefly. "Word is out and they are looking for me. I must leave here and I know now I cannot do that without you. If I sail without you I may never be able to return."

Concern knit her brow and the options presented narrowed to one. Olive pools glanced sidelong to brother, reading the flicker of uncertainty there and further noting the unrest and weariness. Petit hand reached to his and Sabastian gave strained attempt of smile in return. The thought that played kindred minds was much the same...If Sterling were never able to return, would that equate permanent separation for them both, as well?

Dauphin turned away, afraid of what might betray inner thoughts, "I shall show you a back way to that which you seek..."

"Thank you." The words were meant with all sincerity but sounded shallow when given. Aurore was taken carefully in hand and stood as Chestnut was regained and mounted. Sterling leaned down to assist in raising beloved to saddle, sharp pain stabbing at side, face masked in haste to cover any evidence. As wife took place before him, Sabastian remounted Noir. Trio began journey without a sound. Good arm moved tenderly about two in one as scarred check once again came to rest against silken curls, single grateful tear traveled down face as words of love were whispered over and over again to only her hearing.

Sabastian carefully navigated less traveled path, working with great effort to conceal what thoughts plagued his mind. His losses of late had carried far too high stakes and he kept face forward, not daring sideways glance that might cause fall of fortitudes. As the outskirts of Port were reached, only then was word spoken and at that in rather deadpan rendering.

"Do you wish to risk the docks now in daylight or wait until nightfall?"

Sterling brightened a moment. "If there is a way, I would rather risk taking the ship by night. If there is someplace I can hide, perhaps you could see to getting things that Aurore may need. I know Mistress March can see to her needs once we are aboard but until then..."

Sabastian gave silent nod and redirected course. Time seemed to slow then stop completely as main road was approached. Riding ahead, way was checked then journey continued forward. Twenty minutes passed when simple structure came into view. In the concave of smallish valley lay the house of Shea; a place of memories both good and bad.

Building ahead meant nothing to Sterling except place of sanctuary. He urged Chestnut to follow closely behind until both mounts came to rear door. He fought urge to look about, keeping left side of face hidden against Beloved. He was a fool to place them all in such danger but he seemed to know no other way. He waited as Devareaux dismounted.

It is time to pause, even so early, for this account is not intended to be about my life...but is, as I have said, about my life's secrets. Secrecy is intrinsic to my work. ~ Christopher Priest

“Five and Twenty Ponies, Trotting thru’ the Dark.

Brandy for the Parson, 'Baccy for the Clerk. Laces for a Lady, Letters for a Spy.Watch the wall my darling; While the Gentlemen go by.”~Rudyard Kipling

ClaudeDuval.jpg

The three of them started walked back to the old mill. Bess reached for young Mr. Davis’ hand. “Thank you.” She muttered. “Thank you for saving us.”

"...what else was I to do?" stammered young Davis, as he stopped looking deep into the young girl's eyes.

Perhaps he was looking for a reason to explain his actions and taking a man's life. "He gave me no choice...." Davis suddenly blurted out. "But the thought of never seeing you again my dear Bess.... the thought of never..." Without another word, he gently traced his hand along the young girl's cheek, then lifting her chin ever so slightly, he softly kissed her.

He was a fool to place them all in such danger but he seemed to know no other way. He waited as Devareaux dismounted.

As brother-in-law made way to rear door, Sterling dismounted then helped Aurore down to earth. Rough hands came to gently brush long stray locks back from her face which he gently took into keeping.

"Are ye certain?" he asked, looking deep into olive pools. "About being with child?"

Crewe of the Archangel

Fleeting glance was cast after Brother's movement then returned, "Oui..."

Concern knit her brow as rear entrance was brought to open and Sibling dissapeared within.

O shoshoy kaste si feri yek khiv sigo athadjol.~Romani Proverb

Celui qui ne sait pas se taire sait rerement bien parler.~Pierre Charron

Attention! All formats of plot and characterizations produced under the monikers "Aurore Devareaux" or "Tempest Fitzgerald" are protected under the statutes of Copyright law. All Rights Reserved. F.T.M.

He was about to kiss his wife, her confirmation almost as if he were hearing the news for the first time. Sterling could not recall that Aurore had told him already and he had so wished to hear such joyful news from her lips in a more fulfilling manner, but her distraction at brother's movements, now robbed him of such. He released her, after slight peck upon forehead and went to collect the horses.

Crewe of the Archangel

It was troubling to her that of all places of safety selected, it was here that was given sway. There was no question of being secure, but knew as well...entirely to well what angst would be harvested by returning to this house. No secret could be concealed to the haunting of Brother's being if one knew him as she did. Effect clung to Dauphin's manner like gossamer cloak.

Attention swung away to regained Mari and the loss that she had felt, the hollowness of soul...a burden gratefully taken away. A burden that Brother was not so lucky to evade.

Rear entrance opened once more, Sibbling and elderly woman emerging into the afternoon sun.

Attention! All formats of plot and characterizations produced under the monikers "Aurore Devareaux" or "Tempest Fitzgerald" are protected under the statutes of Copyright law. All Rights Reserved. F.T.M.

Sterling tethered Noir and Chestnut securely and turned to watch as couple approached and went to speak with wife.

Crewe of the Archangel

Aurore met the duo at half the distance, warm compassion painting her features as she drew the Elder near in embrace. Releasing, but obtaining and keeping the woman's hands in her own, Aurore looked to where Mari stood tending mounts.

"Sucre'...will you join us, s'il vous plait?"

Second, unnecessary glance was given to horses, not wishing to disturb meeting of others. Already once again feeling very much the outsider, he finally did as wife beckoned.

Crewe of the Archangel

"Mari, " she said as Sterling neared. " I wish you to meet Grandmother Shea..."

Olive sights flicked briefly to Sibling, "She is as family to us and shall give us shelter for the duration. She and her grand daughter.

Sans coat and other accoutrements, Sterling cut a poor figure. Still cocked hat was removed and bow was offered. "I thank you. You have my word I shall not be a burden to you, tis only until the night that you need put up with me. Again thank you and if it is not a difficulty, perhaps I should retire within."

Crewe of the Archangel

'Mother Shea made attempt at welcoming smile, but there lay linger of unease in aged eyes with recognition of Sterling's accent. Sabastian, noting the slight shift of body language came near and placed comforting arm about bent shoulders. Words were whispered to hearing alone as he leaned to near ear and she nodded.

The inside of simple structure was gained, large hearth dominating far wall was centerpiece to practical appointments. Door was closed and secured tightly as Elder parted companions for kitchen area just out of view.

As interior was gained, Sterling moved to wife a moment. “Mayhaps ye should lay down and rest a bit or are ye feeling better?”

Crewe of the Archangel

"Non, merci....I feel well."

Further concern clouded brow as she kept peripheral focus on Sibling's movements.

Inside of lower lip was taken between teeth to be gnawed on a moment, before Sterling nodded. "Good then," he bowed slightly and went to far end of room, away from others. Chair was sought and carried along with him until carefully deposited in corner and seat claimed. Head leaned back, tucked into bend of winged back chair and eyes closed. Mind racing with thoughts of mistakes he continued to make. Hand pressed to side, no longer mindful of action and weariness was allowed to overtake him. Thoughts of dissolved marriage, once again put to right, now competed with thoughts of Other, left waiting.

Crewe of the Archangel

Sabastian soft footed to Sterling's proximity, unease at surround chipping away at cool outward guise.

"Frere...." he waited patiently for acknowldgement to hushed address.

It is time to pause, even so early, for this account is not intended to be about my life...but is, as I have said, about my life's secrets. Secrecy is intrinsic to my work. ~ Christopher Priest

“Five and Twenty Ponies, Trotting thru’ the Dark.

Brandy for the Parson, 'Baccy for the Clerk. Laces for a Lady, Letters for a Spy.Watch the wall my darling; While the Gentlemen go by.”~Rudyard Kipling

ClaudeDuval.jpg

Eyes opened and sigh was exhaled unwillingly. Head turned to give better view to good eye.

"Aye?" Sterling asked.

Crewe of the Archangel

Captain Thomasse of the Samuel stumbled onto the deck. Bleary-eyed, he lurched his head from side to side, searching. He had to stop his rotation to focus a time or three, finally fixating on Billy.

“B-rillie”, he said. “Com’ere”.

“Wha for this now, Thomasse?”, Billy asked. It was a democratic reply; he owed the captain no particular regard, outside of fighting quarters. The man had been elected, not ordained by any God. He added, “You b’drink”.

The captain winced, clamped his eyes shut; bugged them out again, focussed, lost focus, stared into the distance, downcast, done. But no. Suddenly revitalized by the actual recollection of what he needed, he announced, “Y’mus’ takemeto…..SHORE…yes!” Billy folded his arms across his chest. He was about to answer ‘no’, his pride offended by the crude commands, when he realized this was what he wanted: shore. A house, oh yes, a certain kind of house…

“S’ur, Cap’n. I take you shore”, he said. ‘Women’, he thought.

Thomasse, having momentarily forgotten what they were talking about, answered, “Shore? Why? ….Oh, yes yes yes yes… Shore, the Governorgovernorgovernor yes”. That’s right, shore, and officials, he had business to attend to. Nothing was being done with their damnable cargo until he smoothed the way, greased the quay, popped off the hub and slapped a bit of beef tallow, down the hatch… What? Oh yes.

Billy stared at the man and grinned widely. “Wha for we leeve, Thomasse? Wha for boat we take? We walk, yo? Walk on sea, no, like th’ Jesus man?” He knew the answer was the gig, he simply felt need of amusement, and Thomasse was filling his bill.

He jumped at a voice behind him. Byrd said, “Giet the Captain the G—damn gig and get his drunken pot on land”. He added, “…and you and me have a deal to do, ‘member?”

Billy nodded. “Yo, I ‘member”.

Thomasse drew himself to his full height and emitted a thundering bellow: “I sah’t ha’e this PERVERTED ROGUE LEWD SQUEAK”, and his voice gave out. “on my boat”. Byrd and Billy stared. They stared, dumbfounded, then quite helplessly burst out laughing, and found themselves unable to stop. Thomasse turned purple, then purpler.

Eventually they were both able to calm themselves, and Byrd went to prepare the gig. Billy asked of him, “Yo come now?” Byrd shook his head. “We’ll address tha is’ue another morrow. Sit tight on tha fool and watch he don’t light tha match”.

The captain, the noble, voiceless captain, swayed on the deck. Damnable swine, he needed rid of them all… Just one interview, ONE, and he’d be back speculating on property in London Town, shuck of it all… hang them. Hang them all.

Pauly caught a bullet

But it only hit his leg

Well it should have been a better shot

And got him in the head

They were all in love with dyin'

They were drinking from a fountain

That was pouring like an avalanche

Coming down the mountain

Butthole Surfers,

PEPPER