Port Royal, Jamaica

sirhenrymorgan

"What I desire most is rest and the warmth of your form near in its' aquisition...."

Side curtains were parted enough to gain ticking beyond and futher sanctuary deemed in Four Poster Citadel....

A war partly won, I thought, another step in our strange relationship taken. I then proceeded to discard boots, weapon, and clothes, and joined him at the edge of the bed.

"If warmth is what you desire, I offer it." Then I kissed him lightly on the lips, and turned to the bed.

...schooners, islands, and maroons

and buccaneers and buried gold...

RAKEHELL-1.jpg

You can do everything right, strictly according to procedure, on the ocean, and it'll still kill you. But if you're a good navigator, a least you'll know where you were when you died.......From The Ship Killer by Justin Scott.

"Well, that's just maddeningly unhelpful."....Captain Jack Sparrow

Found in the Ruins — Unique Jewelry

Found in the Ruins — Personal Blog

• Replies 3.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sterling made his way inside the bookstore, eyes rolling with the further delay.

"J'essaie de trouver la Maîtresse Sterling. Nous, elle, Sabastian et je, était tous à la maison Shea plus tôt. Je devais la faire venir ce soir, mais ils ne sont plus là. Elle était malade plus tôt. Je dois la trouver! Où pourrait d'autre Sabastian l'avoir prise, si elle n'est pas ici ?"

"Non...." Dubois replied with small shake of head. " Ne ici....Je ne..." He paused, quick eyes scrutinizing the other again. "Que est la Medallion?"came inquery. Instinct and strangness of event placed him on instinctual alert.

It is time to pause, even so early, for this account is not intended to be about my life...but is, as I have said, about my life's secrets. Secrecy is intrinsic to my work. ~ Christopher Priest

“Five and Twenty Ponies, Trotting thru’ the Dark.

Brandy for the Parson, 'Baccy for the Clerk. Laces for a Lady, Letters for a Spy.Watch the wall my darling; While the Gentlemen go by.”~Rudyard Kipling

ClaudeDuval.jpg

A war partly won, I thought, another step in our strange relationship taken. I then proceeded to discard boots, weapon, and clothes, and joined him at the edge of the bed.

"If warmth is what you desire, I offer it." Then I kissed him lightly on the lips, and turned to the bed.

Securing damask blind, he drew her close once settled within soft linen shrouding. Dauphin spoke of Paris in whistful tones; hushed as if the Place were some temple of worship and sacred to the Faithful. He spoke haltingly of the Crossing and all was given with a disjointed manner; pieces here and missing there. Now and then, long pause would occure and hearing pitched to catch any stirring of chamber; and continuence gained drowsy hues...

It is time to pause, even so early, for this account is not intended to be about my life...but is, as I have said, about my life's secrets. Secrecy is intrinsic to my work. ~ Christopher Priest

Brandy for the Parson, 'Baccy for the Clerk. Laces for a Lady, Letters for a Spy.Watch the wall my darling; While the Gentlemen go by.”~Rudyard Kipling

ClaudeDuval.jpg

"Sabastian l'a!" Sterling said. Forcing himself to stand his ground and not lunge forward and strangle Dubois, he could only shout.

"Vous l'imbécile stupide ensanglanté, vous ne me connaissez pas ? Vous avez été à ma maison depuis Aurore et je suis revenu de l'ouragan!"

Sterling turned on heel and made for the rear door. "Find her myself. That I shall if me and mine have to turn the entire port upside down. Vous êtes inutiles! Si elle vient pour faire du mal ou perd l'enfant à cause de vous .... aidez-moi donc... "

"I being shot through the left cheek, the bullet striking away great part of my upper jaw, and several teeth which dropt down the deck where I fell... I was forced to write what I would say to prevent the loss of blood, and because of the pain I suffered by speaking."~ Woodes Rogers

Crewe of the Archangel

http://jcsterlingcptarchang.wix.com/creweofthearchangel#

http://creweofthearchangel.wordpress.com/

Dubois held tongue to vicious onslaught offered and watched until Other made to grasp door's release. The attempt of English was halting at best, but delivered with forcefull intent.

"Vous.....are a marked homme." He paused thinking carefully. "Je....may know Madame's....place."

ClaudeDuval.jpg

Sterling halted, glance cast backward over shoulder.

"Car le saké de pitié me disent alors! Aidez-moi à la trouver et la recevoir à mon navire, alors, je peux m'inquiéter au sujet de ma propre sécurité. Cela n'importe plus jusqu'à ce que je la trouve!"

"I being shot through the left cheek, the bullet striking away great part of my upper jaw, and several teeth which dropt down the deck where I fell... I was forced to write what I would say to prevent the loss of blood, and because of the pain I suffered by speaking."~ Woodes Rogers

Crewe of the Archangel

Dubois frowned, considering recant, then held up a finger for pause. "Une momment, s'il vous plait..."

He retreated beyond opposit door leading to main room and was gone for passing of minutes before returning with Stockton. The Englishman raised a brow to room's occupant as portal was secured.

"I am to the understandin's that you have lost your way....amongst other thing that might be counted. Under the currents and boiling of the ou'side world, tis best if ye keep yer head down an' not go paradin' about. Ye seek what is yers by Law an' the One that keeps said safe. P'haps what ye wish can be found....P'haps"

ClaudeDuval.jpg

Sterling's hand came up to rub now pounding head, then lowered to mouth as if to cover further verbal assault. Eyes closed as frustration at senseless games of protocol continued. Hand reached once more for door handle.

“My safety be damned,” he said, voice suddenly low, monotone, lost. “She was ill when last I saw her. She was supposed to be at the Shea house and she is no longer there. She is with child…” weary gaze fixed on Stockton. “There are so many things that could be wrong and you stand here and act as if I am the last person that should know of my wife’s whereabouts. I know you know where Sabastian could be. Le Cour does not operate in such a careless fashion as not to. So tell me now and let me be on my way to her, do not delay me any more.”

Crewe of the Archangel

Securing damask blind, he drew her close once settled within soft linen shrouding. Dauphin spoke of Paris in whistful tones; hushed as if the Place were some temple of worship and sacred to the Faithful. He spoke haltingly of the Crossing and all was given with a disjointed manner; pieces here and missing there. Now and then, long pause would occure and hearing pitched to catch any stirring of chamber; and continuence gained drowsy hues...

Like the petals from a tighly closed flower, the tale was plucked from his memory and presented in whispered voice. I listened, marveling at cruelty, and at endurance. I now understood his fear of ships, of confidences given too freely, and of family's unraveling. I understood it, for had I not suffered catastrophic changes in my own life?

"It is a sad tale, ma pearl, but not a hopeless one. For you, Jamaica is a new world, much as Columbus discovered. For your brother, it is merely a continuation of an old world, of what went before. I hope you can reconcile with Andre, for all your sakes. As for Sterling and your sister, I can not say. It is too complicated. But in my heart, I feel the choice is for them to make, not you or your family's."

I curled within the embrace of his arm, my head on his chest, and returned the confidence he had given me. My tale of betrayed love, family antagonism, banishment to Italy, and the final betrayal by my father in his refusal to pay my ransom. I told of years on the sea, of beatings, stabbings, and worse, and of survival. I confessed my own misdeeds and killings, and finally, the message from my brother and ex-lover, relayed through my Aunt Violet. And last of all, in an act of complete trust, I told him my real name.

RAKEHELL-1.jpg

You can do everything right, strictly according to procedure, on the ocean, and it'll still kill you. But if you're a good navigator, a least you'll know where you were when you died.......From The Ship Killer by Justin Scott.

Henri Stockton kept neutral expression, cards held close, "And it coul' be said that due to lack of carelessness be why said....buisness is kept out of threat."

Glance was cast to Dubois then returned to Sterling, "If Monsuier Devareaux has gone to ground, there be certain places that could be considered...Some near and others far. Tis true, ye would be hard pressed to locate them...withou' assistance."

Frenchman was motioned near and concealed converse took place. Dubois nodded then exited room through main access. Englishman's gaze leveled on "Countryman".

"Are ye a wagerin' man, Sirrah?"

ClaudeDuval.jpg

Like the petals from a tighly closed flower, the tale was plucked from his memory and presented in whispered voice. I listened, marveling at cruelty, and at endurance. I now understood his fear of ships, of confidences given too freely, and of family's unraveling. I understood it, for had I not suffered catastrophic changes in my own life?

"It is a sad tale, ma pearl, but not a hopeless one. For you, Jamaica is a new world, much as Columbus discovered. For your brother, it is merely a continuation of an old world, of what went before. I hope you can reconcile with Andre, for all your sakes. As for Sterling and your sister, I can not say. It is too complicated. But in my heart, I feel the choice is for them to make, not you or your family's."

I curled within the embrace of his arm, my head on his chest, and returned the confidence he had given me. My tale of betrayed love, family antagonism, banishment to Italy, and the final betrayal by my father in his refusal to pay my ransom. I told of years on the sea, of beatings, stabbings, and worse,  and of survival. I confessed my own misdeeds and killings, and finally, the message from my brother and ex-lover, relayed through my Aunt Violet. And last of all, in an act of complete trust, I told him my real name.

As if granted redemption, the weight of his soul eased and Dauphin, after many years, relaxed completely. Her words gave poltice to age old wounds and he listened closely with heavy eyes as quid pro quo gave revelation. Crowning gift beyond trust already proffered, true name was given; further salve to the world's greed.

Dauphine said nothing for a fleet of time in the Universe's forward trundle, than statement was made with simple wrought....

"I carry strong want for quitting Jamaica....."

ClaudeDuval.jpg

"No, not where my loved ones are concerned," Sterling said. Rear door was opened. "And I am not about to lose neither wife nor child because of yer bloody business."

He made his way outside, slamming door behind. "She could be dead by the time they get around to things. Come along, we shall find her if we need call out the guard ourselves. Damnation where is the old goat when I need him?"

Crewe of the Archangel

Smallish courtyard had gained further occupation, numbering five aside from Entourage. There was a tense curiosity traded betwixt Tars and Owlers; a weigh of judgement to see who would cross the unmarked line in cobbled expanse.

The sudden open of rear door drew attention from each other; several sets of eyes retraining to stoop and He that appeared there.

ClaudeDuval.jpg

Sterling would no longer wait. He continued onward across the yard to outlet to back alley.

"Mr. March, I want you to return to the 'Angel and gather up as many men as you can. Start with the inns. What little I know of Devareaux, would suggest that he is holed up somewhere with all the creature comforts a peacock could desire. The better inns first, inquire of the landlords as to whether or not they know of him. There is some coin, in my seachest," he added removing the key from about his neck and passing it over to his officer. "Take it but do not hesistate to kick in any doors that appeared purposely barred. Le Cour operates with fear... the first landlord that cowers, my bet would say, tis where you will find Aurore."

Crewe of the Archangel

Dauphine said nothing for a fleet of time in the Universe's forward trundle, than statement was made with simple wrought....

"I carry strong want for quitting Jamaica....."

I gave a small, whispered laugh. "And you are the only reason, despite the wish of my crew, that I have not left this cursed island."

Raising up on one elbow, I kissed him gently. "I have a ship. Where would you like to go?"

RAKEHELL-1.jpg

A look of bemusement stroked his angled features, soon followed by slightest frown, "I am unsure...Where does one such as I go? And I could not burden you with an undertaking of this nature...I would not be alone, perhaps as many as twenty more....."

Dark windows reflected hers of lighter hue, "There is too much risk, ma Fluer..."

ClaudeDuval.jpg

Sterling continued onward until the touch of First Officer's hand upon his shoulder forced him to slow and then turn.

"And where might ye be heading?" March asked obviously concerned about his superior.

"I shall take Jones and Dyke with me. There is someone I have met of late, who may know the port well enough to narrow down our search."

"Ye'll take care?" March asked.

Sterling gave a nod of his head. "Aye, I will. I shall meet you back at the ship in three hours time, so that we may go over matters. Knick the door of the places you've searched already. You know the mark."

"Aye, aye, Captain," March said and, hand clutching cocked hat to head, hurried off to carry out his orders.

Crewe of the Archangel

As Lilly finished her meal, she took the last piece of meat and handed it to Mate. "If you wish to catch this Hutchinson you'll find him out at his plantation. If he hasn't fled Port Royal.

Mate continued to lick Lilly's fingers as Hamish puffed quietly upon his pipe.

"Do you plan to bring the authorizes with you when you confront this mad-mad?” She asked as she patted the dog upon his head?

photo-2975.jpg?__rand=0.71617700+1286403
Member of "The Forsaken"

A look of bemusement stroked his angled features, soon followed by slightest frown, "I am unsure...Where does one such as I go? And I could not burden you with an undertaking of this nature...I would not be alone, perhaps as many as twenty more....."

Dark windows reflected hers of lighter hue, "There is too much risk, ma Fluer..."

I cocked a brow and gave him an amused smile. "Risk? After what I've just told you of my life? I believe, ma pearl, that the degree of risk is not something you need worry about. Nor is the fact that you would not be leaving alone. Things might get a little cramped, as the Rakehell is not a huge ship, but there is more than enough room for you and twenty or so others. It is but for you to decide where you wish to go."

Settling back within the circle of his arm, I said, "Tomorrow the Rakehell is due to be careened. Between having her bottom scraped and cleaned, and the loading of provisions, you will have about three days. Three days, ma pearl, to decide where you want to go. Or, three days in which to change your mind and stay." I paused, then said aloud what I was sure he already realised. "But regardless of what you decide, in three days the Rakehell will leave Port Royal. Eventually she may come back, but I can not promise it, nor do I know how long that time might be."

RAKEHELL-1.jpg

"I would see 'im hanged by the watch." Hamish replied, taking the pipe from his mouth. "But should it come to it, I will be dealin' wit' him meself. If he be a landed man, then 'e may 'ave connections wit' the watch. Be that the case, me an the lads be handlin' matters ourselves. I would be jus' as 'appy to see 'im dangle from me yard arm as from the gallows. Rest assured Mistress, 'e will pay dearly fer 'is attack." Hamish puffed stiffly on his pipe, the cherry burning brightly within the clay bowl. "I be sendin' MacGregor and Thomas off ta find the scoundrel."

"Now on ta other matters. 'ow ken I be o' service in helpin ye wit' Cap'n Sterling? We must be patient until the good doctor returns but I would know what I be up against in this endeavor. It seems ta me that the Cap'n and 'is mate not be to fond of lettin' ye on the Angel."

Yo ho ho and a bottle of rum...

Lilly took up her goblet and lent forward. “It’s complicated.” She said in a whispered tone. “I have been cast aside for another woman whom Captain Sterling married in less than a fortnight upon meeting her!” The mere mention of the ‘other woman’ made Lilly show signs of disgust upon her face.

“Now his damnable crew has banded me from seeing him and boarding the Archangel. Even though I am sure that they are only following orders from Master March, I cannot believe that they would treat me in such a manner.

You see Captain, Captain Sterling is a sickly fellow both in body and in mind. He has never been quite right since he returned from Algiers. His crew is quite protective of him and I do not blame them. All I wish is to have audience with him, ask for saefe passage back to England when they depart from Port Royal and perhaps talk some sense into the addle-minded brain of his!”

photo-2975.jpg?__rand=0.71617700+1286403
Member of "The Forsaken"

I cocked a brow and gave him an amused smile. "Risk? After what I've just told you of my life? I believe, ma pearl, that the degree of risk is not something you need worry about. Nor is the fact that you would not be leaving alone. Things might get a little cramped, as the Rakehell is not a huge ship, but there is more than enough room for you and twenty or so others. It is but for you to decide where you wish to go."

Settling back within the circle of his arm, I said, "Tomorrow the Rakehell is due to be careened. Between having her bottom scraped and cleaned, and the loading of provisions, you will have about three days. Three days, ma pearl, to decide where you want to go. Or, three days in which to change your mind and stay." I paused, then said aloud what I was sure he already realised. "But regardless of what you decide, in three days the Rakehell will leave Port Royal. Eventually she may come back, but I can not promise it, nor do I know how long that time might be."

His eyes lazed open to half mast in response to her words, but choices and finilizations were the farthest from his mind. Petit form's warmth did further to lull Dauphin away from the chaos which threatened to brew again and he softly sushed her. Drawing the warmth a bit closer, chin was rested upon flame tinctured hair and lids were given permission to drop again.

"I am of no concern to these things of the Future," he whispered drowsily, "Only the Now will do...I am quite content with the Now...."

ClaudeDuval.jpg

"Yes, the now is quite nice." I snuggled closer, and eventually the two of us fell asleep.

RAKEHELL-1.jpg

Thomas made his way back to his cabin. The next hour or so he spent keeping his numbers correct in the estimates for what he would need one he reaches the agent’s office. The wealthy businessman yawned and removed his glasses. He gathered his things for the final time and locked them away in the chest. The flask had peeked out from under his folded coat and happily indulged. Returning the silver bottle to it’s home, he locked the chest for tomorrow’s journey. He dampened the lantern’s wick burning at the desk. Removing his clothes of the day, he pulled on his night shirt and spread his hammock. Even in the protected harbor of Port Royal, the ship was still rocked gently in the night.

"Nothing more excellent nor more valuable than wine was ever granted mankind by God."

-Plato

SinnersNeedeNew.jpg

Professor Trilby had so enjoyed his new spyglass, that he'd squinted through it long enough to give himself a headache. He only put it away when it got to dark to really see anything other than the drunks down the street, and the magnified vision of one of them relieving himself on the side of the building.

Finally setting the glass aside, he rubbed his tired eyes and settled back into his new cushioned chair - his original one had burned to a cinder in the fire. Cleopatra jumped into his lap, and he absently stroked her soft fur as he thought. It had occurred to him that, ever since that she-devil calling herself Ransom had darkened his door, strange happenings and people had interfered with his usual solitary routine.

Most surprising was the circumstance of having Sebastian show up on his doorstep roaring drunk. Now that was a mystery, and no mistake. What would possess a member of the Rom to turn to him instead of his own clan? And how, blast it, had an exchange of smuggled goods led to...to...what? Romance? He snorted at the thought, but couldn't deny what his own eyes had seen.

"Weel, I canna see how they can expect much happiness, Queenie," he addressed the cat in his lap. "They're like oil and vinegar. Good in a shake up, but bound tae separate eventually."

HerbalBookPage.jpg