Port Royal, Jamaica

sirhenrymorgan

There was no ‘ahoy’ shouted in hailing own vessel. Instead, as Sterling neared where the Archangel was moored, he sounded one loud, shrill whistle. Twas enough not to cause notice and yet officers on board knew instantly who was coming and which ship he was heading toward. Gangplank was lowered quickly into place and in a moment’s time, Sterling was once again, aboard. Cabin door was opened and action was made to remove gangplank but he quickly belayed such. Entering quarters, Matthew Hazzards following upon heel and Andrew March running up from below, where provisions were still hastily being stored, Sterling indicated with nod of head for Symms to shut and lock door.

“Good to have ye back, Sir,” Hazzards said, voice low.

“And in one piece,” March added, tone boarding on angry growl. Sterling eyed first officer briefly then snatched up paper and ink. Quick sketch of port town’s main byways was hastily drawn, Sterling pin pointing Shea house and, what he believed to be the current location of wife. As he continued to scribble, he asked, “Have we been freed to make sail?”

Two officers looked to each other, March sighing, Hazzards’ face grimacing slightly, before both faced captain again.

“Not yet, Sir,” March replied, waiting for following eruption. None came. Once again glance, this time rapidly, was cast between officers.

Sterling laid down quill and sanded paper, before lifting it and bringing it closer for a better inspection of handy work.

“Mr. March I want ye to have two men collect Mistress Sterling immediately. She is at a Mistress Shea’s home, here,” he pointed out location on new map. Have her brought here as quickly as possible but have a care… she is with child.”

This time lieutenants’ jaws fell silently open.

"I being shot through the left cheek, the bullet striking away great part of my upper jaw, and several teeth which dropt down the deck where I fell... I was forced to write what I would say to prevent the loss of blood, and because of the pain I suffered by speaking."~ Woodes Rogers

Crewe of the Archangel

http://jcsterlingcptarchang.wix.com/creweofthearchangel#

http://creweofthearchangel.wordpress.com/

• Replies 3.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

One of Brother's worn shirts was procured from oaken trunk and traded for with the soiled blanc et rouge that hung in layered wrought. As if most precious of jewels, Mourning attire was draped over chest's rounded lid and she moved to single window to peer out. Petit hand rested with covet over flat that would not remain so and worry plagued her brow intermixted with damp sheen of sweat.

The abrupt sound of crystal sacrifice was half noted as mental cogs and gears meshed in want of answers to queries unspoken. Quandry lay upon quandry as Aurore tried to fathom retreat from Shea House and the cold fire that burned with fevor in Brother's eyes. Something was most amiss, and it went deeper than the evidence that she had knowledge of.

Turning away from glazier company, the thickened depth of ticking and soft quilting gave willingly to her slight form. Drawn near to chin, linen offered shield to the outside world and the one thought that continued to rush forth as hound amongst quail, was where He was...And how empty she felt with His absence.

Quilting was drawn closer, and with resigned exhalation, she gave into the restless surrender of Sleep's demand.

O shoshoy kaste si feri yek khiv sigo athadjol.~Romani Proverb

Celui qui ne sait pas se taire sait rerement bien parler.~Pierre Charron

Attention! All formats of plot and characterizations produced under the monikers "Aurore Devareaux" or "Tempest Fitzgerald" are protected under the statutes of Copyright law. All Rights Reserved. F.T.M.

As Lilly sat upon crate, the medication which good doctor Reiley soon began to ware off or so she thought. As the looked about the dock and stared up at the grand ship of the Archangel, she heard a whistle coming from the way of the gangplank entrance.

She sat quietly watching this man walk forward. Lilly suddenly could not breathe. There before her was a ghost. She was sure it was her beloved Captain who came back from the dead. There he was before her very eyes. Lilly wanted to call out to him, but she could not find her voice to do so. She could only watch as he disappeared from her view.

It was then she began to cry. How cruel life had been for her. She could not believe that he was only a few yards away from her and she did not call out to him. Her head still spun and she now began to feel the pain of her wound. But that did not matter now, she now knew that he was alive and safe upon the Archangel, at least for the moment.

photo-2975.jpg?__rand=0.71617700+1286403
Member of "The Forsaken"

“Captain a word with ye sir, in private, if I may,” March asked. Sterling spun about glaring intensely at his first officer. The two sailors who had just returned from the Shea house, had not only returned empty handed, but could provide no news as to the current whereabouts of Sterling’s wife. Sterling was fit to be tied. Immediately papers had been withdrawn from trouser pocket and orders issued to find Aurore and see that, this time, the annulment papers were placed into her hands personally.

“If ye please, Sir,” March insisted.

Stressed features relaxed but a fraction as Sterling presently nodded in agreement and others were momentarily dismissed.

“What is it Mr. March?” he asked as cabin door closed.

March shifted weight from foot to foot briefly, uncertain on how his counsel would be taken.

“John yer not thinking clearly,” Andrew finally began.

Sterling’s face colored, he drew in a deep breath. Lower lip was caught and gnawed on before he replied.

“I am forced to agree with ye. I have not been thinking much at all since we arrived here it seems,” Sterling groaned. “I should never have rushed into this marriage.”

“Aye, ye have not been yerself at all,” March commented. “But ye married the girl and I know ye are a better man than to put a noose about her neck and sell her off the first time yer selfish side gets the better of ye.”

“She does not love me, she would be best without … we would both be better off with the marriage dissolved.”

“Ye mean she does not love ye the way ye would like her to at the moment. And what about the child?” March said.

With a shake of his head, Sterling stormed abaft of the cabin, and exploded. “No! Andrew ye were not there. I had to hear of my own child, first, from a complete stranger! ”

“The girl thought ye were dead, John,” March pointed out.

“Then what of later? When we had a moment together. She did not even care to speak of it to me then… of all people. . It was as if I and the child did not matter,” Sterling countered.

March watched as Sterling fumed at the far end of the cabin. He knew the man was tired and not well. He also knew that man was hurt by his wife‘s actions, but he also knew that he was not behaving as he could. “When I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child. But when I became a man…”

“I put away childish things,” Sterling finished. Expression fell. “Is it so wrong to want my wife’s attention for my own?”

March shook his head. “No John, not at all. But we both know, you have got to earn it by giving her what she needs first.”

Lilith made her way slowly towards a small building known for conducting trysts. As she stood at the front door of the building she looked about just to make sure that she was not being followed.

Less than an hour earlier she had ‘made inquires’ about several houses that accommodated men’s fancies. She hoped that she would be successful in her search. Suddenly the front door swung open. “Yes? Who are you?” Remarked the small dark haired girl as she looked Lilith up and down.

“I’ve come to inquire about a certain person who may have frequented your Mistress’ establishment in the last few days.”

The young dark hair girl again stood her ground. “My Mistress is busy as of the moment; she doesn’t make a habit of talking to strange wo…” “Who is it Sally!?”

Lilith heard the voice of another woman over the young girl’s shoulder.

“Busy, eh?” With that Lilith forced her away through the front door.

Lilith - Commander of The Tartarus

"God did not hold back from punishing the angels that sinned, but, by throwing them into Tartarus, delivered them into pits of dense darkness to be reserved for judgement."

Dinner continued in the Captain's quarters after several other men joined around the table. A Quartermaster and Captain from a nearby trader were welcomed aboard as they also had just arrived in port. Soon, the wine was flowing as was the cook's plates of late supper. Stories of old and new were supplanted as each man imbibed more and more.

Excusing himself from the table after another round of tales, Thomas made his way to the main deck and looked up. Several stars shone bright in the night sky and a few were even trailing after each other. He removed his small pipe and packed it with two fingers of tobacco fresh from the colonies. Mister Neede inhaled deeply catching the wind just blowing off the sea. Lighting the pipe from a Seaman who was securing the longboat, he puffed gently to watch the amber coals glow.

He paced about the deck wondering the best price to offer the Governor's agent for the inn. He had more than enough to buy several Alehouses or Inns located within Port Royal, so price was not the matter, but the least amount was. He had not made a small forutne by simply paying the cost. Thomas Neede had never payed the price offered. The Company had been good to him, he smiled, perhaps far too good for him. He padded the coin purse he kept on him and felt for the key to the second sea chest that remained in the cabin. Satisfied, he returned to the rail and watched the lights in Port Royal.

"Nothing more excellent nor more valuable than wine was ever granted mankind by God."

-Plato

SinnersNeedeNew.jpg

The young dark hair girl again stood her ground. “My Mistress is busy as of the moment; she doesn’t make a habit of talking to strange wo…”  “Who is it Sally!?” 

Lilith heard the voice of another woman over the young girl’s shoulder. 

“Busy, eh?”  With that Lilith forced her away through the front door.

Nelly made her way part way down the stairs. She watched as some strange woman pushed her way past the maid and entered without an invitation.

"And how may I help you?" Nelly asked straightening upon the steps. "I am not in the business of entertaining other women. If you are looking for a Mare, you have come to the wrong house."

"And how may I help you?" Nelly asked straightening upon the steps. "I am not in the business of entertaining other women. If you are looking for a Mare, you have come to the wrong house."

Lilith just stared at the whore and did not to give as much as a single response to her insult. Sally quickly stood next to her mistress’ side. Both waited to silently to hear what this stranger had to say.

“Do not waste my time and I will kill the both of you!” Lilith said pulling a pistol from her belt. “I have come here to get some answers and by God, I will have them. Rumor around port states that you have been in the company of a man named Pinon. Is this true? If so, where can I find him? Quickly now, before I loose my temper.”

"God did not hold back from punishing the angels that sinned, but, by throwing them into Tartarus, delivered them into pits of dense darkness to be reserved for judgement."

“There she is!” Shouted Reiley as he and Captain MacCraige made their way down to the docks. They found her sitting on a create crying uncontrollably. As the two men approached Lilly quickly noticed them and wiped her tears away.

“We thought you’d be here, though we didn’t expect you to be in such a state.” Said MacCraige. “She’ll be all right.” Said Reiley. “She is just having a strange affect from the medication I gave her. She’ll be fine after she eats something.”

“I saw him!” She blurted out as she pointed to the ship. “I saw him. He’s alive!” With a quick start Reiley quickly grabbed her hand and held it tight. Then leaning forward in a stern whisper he instructed her to do the following. “Mistress,” His tone was deep and somewhat demanding. “If you wish him to stay that way, please, I beg you, not another word of this…not here. There is much we need to discuss but we must take you back to the Inn. There, I am sure we can discuss the matter in…”

“NO!” She shouted. Not truly realizing the volume and strength of her demand. “I will not go back to the inn. I do not care how you do it good doctor, but you will get me on the Archangel and I shall have audience with him!” The doctor stood up slowly from Lilly’s side and looked over at MacCraige. “I will need your help, Hamish. Are you up for a challenge?”

Member of "The Forsaken"

"So he's alive is he?" Hamish laughed quietly to the doctor. A sly smile crossed his lips, " I always be up fer a challenge, good doctor. Wha' ye have in mind?"

The little dog did his best to comfort his new friend as she sat crying. Lilly reached down and plucked him from the ground, cradling him against her chest as she cried softly into the sleek, black fur. Mate, being a gentlemanly dog, softly licked the tears from her cheek.

"I be willin' to help ye, doctor, if it be helpin' miss Lilly. But I will 'ave ye know I mean ta find her attacker an' see 'im hanged. I ken put the task o findin that scoundrel to me first mate fer now, but should 'e be found I will be damned if he be gettin away."

Yo ho ho and a bottle of rum...

Rumor around port states that you have been in the company of a man named Pinon. Is this true? If so, where can I find him? Quickly now, before I loose my temper.”

Nelly curbed her temper, keeping her tone aloof and unshaken. If the woman shot her, there would be no answers forthcoming. If she so much as threatened Sally, again no answers would Nelly give.

“You barge into my home and threaten me? I have many powerful friends and if they were to find me harmed or, worse, dead, you would not be able to get off this island before they caught you. Already soldiers have been swarming the streets looking for a murderer. For your own foolish sake, I would suggest you put that pistol away. As to rumors of Nimrod Pinon. They are just that. I know of him. He tried to win my favor but I … disliked him from the start. I have not see nor heard from him in over a month.”

"You stay with the Mistress, Captain. I must get on board and see what matters need attending to. Give me some time, I do not know what our good Captain has planned as of the moment, but I will come back to let you know. In the meantime, get her something to eat and make sure she keeps quiet."

With a smile and a nod, MacCraige agreed. "I'll make sure our pretty little bird doesn't fly off again." With that MacCraige turned to Mistress Lilly. "The doctor has gone to annouce you...but I fear it may be some time. Do me the pleasure of taking sup with me? I promise we'll be only a short while." Lilly cuddled the little black dog in her arms before she said a word. "Can I have lamb?" She said with a smile. "If that's what you wish, then...lamb it is."

Member of "The Forsaken"

“I put away childish things,” Sterling finished. Expression fell. “Is it so wrong to want my wife’s attention for my own?”

March shook his head. “No John, not at all. But we both know, you have got to earn it by giving her what she needs first.”

“Very well, Andrew,” Sterling said making his way back across the distance, hands raised slightly as if in surrender. “Aye, ye are right. Ye will come with me then?”

March made a quick study of his friend. “And where might ye be going?”

Sterling nodded as papers were retrieved. “Tis time I grew up where Aurore is concerned. Yer right, I have been selfish. I ought to earn what I so deeply desire. I need to find her and fetch her here.” Annulment papers were looked over once more carefully then brought to candle. In a matter of seconds they were no more. Cocked hat was collected along with revolver and heavy walking stick. Plain brown coat was put on without waistcoat as March opened the door to the captain’s quarters and called the sailors, that had made their way earlier to the Shea house, over.

“Cudgels gents. Fetch em and meet the captain and I by the entryway. We’ve one more place to look,” March said. As Sterling came along side, March’s brow furrowed slightly. “And where might that be?”

Sterling shrugged. “I honestly do not know. But we shall try the bookstore first. There is always someone there. They may be able to help us.”

"I being shot through the left cheek, the bullet striking away great part of my upper jaw, and several teeth which dropt down the deck where I fell... I was forced to write what I would say to prevent the loss of blood, and because of the pain I suffered by speaking."~ Woodes Rogers

Crewe of the Archangel

With a shout and a wave, Doctor Reiley called to the crewmen of the Archangel, signaling them that he requested to come on board. Gunner lent over the side of the rail to inspect the Doctor closer. “Aye, Doctor. Welcome back!” He shouted. Once again, the gangplank was lowered for the Doctor to gain entry upon the good ship.

It was then the good Doctor saw Captain Sterling along with Lt. March coming upon deck. “Good Captain Sir, a word if you will?” As Reiley tried to step into the path of the Captain.

Member of "The Forsaken"

Sterling halted a moment, indicating for March and the others to continue on to the dock. Keeping his voice low, he waited until the doctor came closer.

"For someone who has schemed to make and keep me dead, Doctor Reiley, you certainly seem to have a loose tongue about ye now. I would remind ye to keep it still before I have it cut out," Sterling warned. He continued on to the entry way. "I shall speak with ye when I return. I have something of great urgency I must attend to first."

Crewe of the Archangel

Small quartet made their way back through the port. They walked without haste, Sterling and March conversing amongst themselves as if nothing were amiss. The two sailors followed behind at a none too close distance to look included but not as if the group were concerned about being singled out.

Bookstore was soon in view and the sailors were ordered to remain out front, keeping an eye on the locals, as March and Sterling made their way around back. Knock upon door was given and they waited until the door was opened to them.

Crewe of the Archangel

Dubois glanced up from mother tongue tome, head cocked slightly to the knock on portal. It was only he and leather bound possession that preceived hail and consideration was given quite closely as to wether hailing should be given futher acknowledgment...or not.

Eyes drifted back to text companion as feline wrapped agile form around leather clad ankles, and again door begged for attendance. Marking place, divan was deserted and pistol woken from cushion slumber. Locks were drawn back and pistol held with tense balance to the unknows beyond hinged access.

With caution, knob was turned for release and reverse pace was negotiated with dancer's grace....

It is time to pause, even so early, for this account is not intended to be about my life...but is, as I have said, about my life's secrets. Secrecy is intrinsic to my work. ~ Christopher Priest

“Five and Twenty Ponies, Trotting thru’ the Dark.

Brandy for the Parson, 'Baccy for the Clerk. Laces for a Lady, Letters for a Spy.Watch the wall my darling; While the Gentlemen go by.”~Rudyard Kipling

ClaudeDuval.jpg

Sterling moved from the shadows to speak.

"Mon nom est Jean Sterling. Je suis le mari d'Aurore. Elle et son frère ont été censés m'attendre pour faire venir Aurore à la maison Shea. Ils ne sont plus là et je suis vraiment concerné. Pourriez-vous me dire où d'autre je pourrais être capable de les trouver ?"

Then his eyes narrowed in the dim light.

"Wait I know you.. Dubois... Il est moi. J'ai besoin de desparately pour trouver ma femme. S'il vous plaît où pourrait d'autre Sabastian l'avoir prise pour la sauvegarde sûre. Elle n'est pas bien et je dois la trouver. "

Crewe of the Archangel

Lilith wrinkled up her nose in disgust. “Worthless you are.”

She muttered as she put her pistol away.

“I find it very odd that you didn’t care for him. Most whores don’t care whom they service as long as the men paying well. Besides, Pinon doesn’t take kindly to the answer of ‘no’.”

Lilith once again looked over at Sally, watching to see if she would dash off or offer any testimony in her Mistress’ defend.

Lilith cocked her hat slightly forward and smiled slyly. “If you do see Pinon again, let him know that Lilith was looking for him. Oh, and if he asks you if I’ve found a bit of Sterling – tell him…I will before he does!”

She pushed her way towards the door, but before she left, she turned towards the two women. “Be careful of him…this Pinon. He is a powerful man.”

Lilly sat eating her meal with Captain MacCraige. Hamish found it somewhat amusing as he watched this woman consume so much in one sitting. “Here, when was the last time you ate a decent meal?”

Lilly looked up from her plate and blushed. It was then Lilly realized that her voracious appetite was extremely apparent. “Sorry, about a week; perhaps longer. I was off my food for a bit. I am…not well.” Hamish sat back in his chair and pulled out his pipe. Mate was happy to sit next to Lilly’s side, waiting patiently for a scrap of food to be tossed in his direction.

“I am sorry to hear that, Mistress.” Hamish again eyed the actress up and down. The mantua she wore was tattered and plain. Not a proper outfit for a woman of her class. “Forgive my boldness, Mistress. Do you have means?”

Lilly stopped in mid-chew then pulled her napkin from her lap. She covered her mouth in displeasure. “If you are asking if I have a shilling to my name, Captain. No. I do not. My money is gone. I am at the mercy of Captain Sterling, who is less fortunate then I as of the moment. Yet, hope springs eternal.” She said lifting her goblet of wine.

“And what of this beast who attacked you. Tell me more about him for we cannot have him doing this again.” It was then Lilly’s smile disappeared and tears filled her eyes. “Yes, we cannot, can we?”

Member of "The Forsaken"

..."I would desire you stay...Everything is like a whirlwind to me at present and I humbly apologize that you should be exposed to such..."

Passage was made to door of interest, cracked softly and interior gazed in upon for the passing of minutes. With unsteady care, closure was achieved and retreat made for Four Posted decadence. Dark windows slyed through darker tress curtain to where Lover stood and motion was made for closer proximity....

I stepped closer, tracing the line of his jaw where the bruise still lingered. "Yes, life can deal us more than one kind of hurricane. There is nothing for you to apologize for. I am unfamilier with your world and its ways, but if I can help you in any way, ma pearl, you have only to ask."

I glansed at the door through which his sister had retreated. "She must be devasted over the death of her husband, especially if she is newly with child. For her, rest is probably the best remedy." I turned to face him, his dark eyes boring into mine. I read within them a longing to confide, waring with a strong code of secrecy. "For you...?"

...schooners, islands, and maroons

and buccaneers and buried gold...

RAKEHELL-1.jpg

You can do everything right, strictly according to procedure, on the ocean, and it'll still kill you. But if you're a good navigator, a least you'll know where you were when you died.......From The Ship Killer by Justin Scott.

"Well, that's just maddeningly unhelpful."....Captain Jack Sparrow

Found in the Ruins — Unique Jewelry

Found in the Ruins — Personal Blog

Sterling moved from the shadows to speak.

"Mon nom est Jean Sterling. Je suis le mari d'Aurore. Elle et son frère ont été censés m'attendre pour faire venir Aurore à la maison Shea. Ils ne sont plus là et je suis vraiment concerné. Pourriez-vous me dire où d'autre je pourrais être capable de les trouver ?"

Then his eyes narrowed in the dim light.

"Wait I know you.. Dubois... Il est moi. J'ai besoin de desparately pour trouver ma femme. S'il vous plaît où pourrait d'autre Sabastian l'avoir prise pour la sauvegarde sûre. Elle n'est pas bien et je dois la trouver. "

Dubois stepped back two paces more, eyeing those in thresh hold boundary with finite scrutiny. Movement of forward inclination brought pistol a fraction higher than hip proximities, then the voice played to hearing; familiar and yet not in its' guise. Quick survey of those gathered noted any oddity of stance, then center drew in crosshair manner to Speaker and remained there. Thief's quick deduction spun with minute realities; spinning with the entities of Life and Death...of those that crossed there and back.

As statement and requests were made, slyed glance was cast overshoulder then sidestep negotiated to allow Speaker only, into the back room. Portal was closed in silence and two from opposit points of Channel Course measured each other for a momments passing. Lowering pistol to lazy grasp, Frenchman inclined chin; manner weary as singled out wolf and motioned for further relay of the Case presented.

A testimony which would grant him the power of Judge and Jury....

It is time to pause, even so early, for this account is not intended to be about my life...but is, as I have said, about my life's secrets. Secrecy is intrinsic to my work. ~ Christopher Priest

Brandy for the Parson, 'Baccy for the Clerk. Laces for a Lady, Letters for a Spy.Watch the wall my darling; While the Gentlemen go by.”~Rudyard Kipling

ClaudeDuval.jpg

I stepped closer, tracing the line of his jaw where the bruise still lingered. "Yes, life can deal us more than one kind of hurricane. There is nothing for you to apologize for. I am unfamilier with your world and its ways, but if I can help you in any way, ma pearl, you have only to ask."

I glanced at the door through which his sister had retreated. "She must be devasted over the death of her husband, especially if she is newly with child. For her, rest is probably the best remedy." I turned to face him, his dark eyes boring into mine. I read within them a longing to confide, waring with a strong code of secrecy. "For you...?"

In all truth, it was with the greatest desire that the burden of years wished to flow forth without hinderance....But, conditioned that Silence was Survival fought with fevored force to negate such notions. Dauphin stood slowly, moving to one post and on to other three in turn and what release he teetered on mentally was given freely in damask unbind. At each carved tower, whisper of heavy cloth refinement stroked affectionately downward plumit and halted only as flooring was reached below.

Clothing was next to fall in cast off motion, adornment layer abandoned but for the simple cladding of under breeches. Lupine features were clouded once more with darkened tress as she was addressed quietly.

"What I desire most is rest and the warmth of your form near in its' aquisition...."

Side curtains were parted enough to gain ticking beyond and futher sanctuary deemed in Four Poster Citadel....

ClaudeDuval.jpg

Sterling made his way inside the bookstore, eyes rolling with the further delay.

"J'essaie de trouver la Maîtresse Sterling. Nous, elle, Sabastian et je, était tous à la maison Shea plus tôt. Je devais la faire venir ce soir, mais ils ne sont plus là. Elle était malade plus tôt. Je dois la trouver! Où pourrait d'autre Sabastian l'avoir prise, si elle n'est pas ici ?"

Crewe of the Archangel