Port Royal, Jamaica

sirhenrymorgan

Lungs fit to bursting, Sterling groaned inwardly as Roberts rode horse hard toward him. Frantic and quickly wearing down, he could think of nothing else. Ducking low as Sean's horse neared he lunged for horse's front foot. Long leg was seized close to pasturn and lifted as Sterling threw full weight just behind horse's shoulder. In the next instant, horse and rider were toppled over and sent to the ground. Bridle was next to be taken and horse pulled to feet, leaving dazed Roberts unsaddled. Cleared of fallen man, Sterling tried to mount new acquisition but found himself all but spent.

"I being shot through the left cheek, the bullet striking away great part of my upper jaw, and several teeth which dropt down the deck where I fell... I was forced to write what I would say to prevent the loss of blood, and because of the pain I suffered by speaking."~ Woodes Rogers

Crewe of the Archangel

http://jcsterlingcptarchang.wix.com/creweofthearchangel#

http://creweofthearchangel.wordpress.com/

• Replies 3.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What transpired with shots fired acted as catalyst of events; its' effect shaking points beyond and near. Rider who lay dazed, half seeing capture and righting of lost mount, was one of several. A Scout to those who followed the back ways to Cottage placement. A buzz harried Sean's senses as result of cranial blow with fall, sight worked to center on who transgressor was, but was proving unreliable. Half hearted reach for cast off pistol was met with unsuccessful end; silenced powder barker just beyond finger's touch. Shoulder throbbed with terra impact, a searing fire of tendon and muscle protesting abuse. Mount shifted, dancing in place as other tried claim of seating and Sean was momentarily blinded with sun's sudden full exposure. Still unsure of Other's identity, another futile attempt at pistol capture was made; the sound of cavalcade approach lost in the ringing of ears...though ground vibration was not.

Early day sun's torture was comfortingly belayed and Sean gave in to relinquish of further attempts. The buzzing in his head gave way just enough to allow muffled render of statement as hands of brethren soul came near to attend.

There were six, seven including Fallen, that joined in semi-circling of Interloper and mount. One came forward of those that attended and of those, only Roberts would have been able to identify he who was frozen in attempt to further flee; a grace that had eluded him thus far. Red Roan stood with ears pricked forward, loud exhalation of massive lungs boldly disrupting the quiet as Barro Rom's near black eyes reflected the displeasure that neutral expression would not proffer.

Andre' gave nothing in verbose or body language; nothing but the cold fire in earthen pools as he gazed stoic upon Gadje of fair tress. Precise dissection and survey was given, as others looked on with curiosity so carefully concealed; trained curs awaiting the proper command. A smile of disconcerting facets finally broke neutral planes of Roi's features, his voice low and tone without humor.

"It is unwise to wander where one is unwelcome...A further folly, for one to attempt possession of that which one has no claim to..."

Broad skull canted slightly to the right, reptilian sights looking upon prey with predatory interest.

"Perhaps you might be so kind as to state your business and I advise you choose your words with utmost care..."

Just to Barro's right and behind, One of Seven smiled with greedy anticipation; and rustling of flora gave indication that more were about to join the Ball.

It is time to pause, even so early, for this account is not intended to be about my life...but is, as I have said, about my life's secrets. Secrecy is intrinsic to my work. ~ Christopher Priest

“Five and Twenty Ponies, Trotting thru’ the Dark.

Brandy for the Parson, 'Baccy for the Clerk. Laces for a Lady, Letters for a Spy.Watch the wall my darling; While the Gentlemen go by.”~Rudyard Kipling

ClaudeDuval.jpg

Sterling, gasping for breath that did not seem to come, doubled over, hands resting on knees. Head turned sideways enough to view new comer. "I could ask the same," he struggled to say. "Who the bloody hell are you and yours and what are you doing on this land?"

"I being shot through the left cheek, the bullet striking away great part of my upper jaw, and several teeth which dropt down the deck where I fell... I was forced to write what I would say to prevent the loss of blood, and because of the pain I suffered by speaking."~ Woodes Rogers

Crewe of the Archangel

Tinge of sneer almost reached Andre's expression to Interloper's bold words and company stirred. Roan was nudged closer and restless hands belonging to those in attendance hovered close to devourers of powder.

"I own this land..." the reply came without inflection.

It is time to pause, even so early, for this account is not intended to be about my life...but is, as I have said, about my life's secrets. Secrecy is intrinsic to my work. ~ Christopher Priest

Brandy for the Parson, 'Baccy for the Clerk. Laces for a Lady, Letters for a Spy.Watch the wall my darling; While the Gentlemen go by.”~Rudyard Kipling

ClaudeDuval.jpg

So eldest had finally come home to roost. Sterling straightened.

"Perhaps then you would be so kind as to help me find my own horse that was taken from me and I will only be to happy to take my leave."

Crewe of the Archangel

Andre' leaned forward in seating, as if to gain closer inspection of He that stood afore him. Those in company glanced to each other in anticpation of what might transpire with Interloper's manner. Roi sat back, expression concealing the fury that was beginning to brew. His words were controlled and dropped a degree in temprature.

"We are to reward you for attempt of theft and injury to one of ours?"

Again Company stirred as riffled leaves on Autumn morn. Lender of aid to fallen brother deftly retook possession of centerstage mount, leading it to where proper owner sat oblivious.

ClaudeDuval.jpg

"Mayhaps you should just return my property that was taken from me without warning. And while you are at it, perhaps you should post your land so those out riding would know not to trespass." Sterling remarked. He doubled over again, pain cutting into side as emotions went through another somersault. He bit his lip trying to ease his breathing. He did not wish to be ill now.

Crewe of the Archangel

Fury increased another notch and right hand strayed to pistol proximity. One of Seven's smile deepened as he looked to nearest companion then to those who were almost upon them. First in line was the fine render of Bay, its' rider nonplused in manner.

The Frenchman reined in, slate vissual pools quickly summing up what lay before him. Nod was given to Barro Rom then focus fell to doubled over figure. Christophe was quick to conceal startled reaction and his mind raced quickly to digest what should not have been. Flare of anger ignited in the pit of his stomache and he was hard pressed to keep all in check.

Andre's placement of hand did not go without note and his knowledge of Sterling's mannerisms could very well ensure that what once played oppossum would be assured of true demise. Pursing his lips in thought, Frenchman addressed Rye in Basque tongue.

"I am certain that you are weary from trade..." slate orbs flicked to Sterling then back. "Please allow me to handle this. It is below your time and energies...."

Roi was quiet in opinions, though it was obvious to shared histories, that he was contemplating the choice. A few minutes passed sluggishly, then Roan was backed away, Sean was eased to original seat and course reset to intended destination.

It was a Trickster's smile that played Frenchman's features.

ClaudeDuval.jpg

Then prey bolted once again, straigth through thicket of horses and beyond. His only disadvantage on foot were the pistols. Horses all too close to turn about easily quickly became entangled with others. Mad dash was made to overgrowth too dense for large four legged forms. Lungs, as if on fire, were overly stressed to continue. Brief respit had earned him little and stitch in side grew worse.

Crewe of the Archangel

"Imbicile!!!"

The word followed with forcible accusation to Sterling's retaliation. Christophe judged carefully next action, blunder was untethered and brought to life as the rapid commands in Rom rendering called from equine traffic jam. Dropping to the ground, Bay was left to another's keeping and Frenchman pursued with undaunted prejudice.

It was only a matter of time before quarey gave out and would be run to ground...

ClaudeDuval.jpg

There was no time for backward glances though instict urged him to do so. Instead he kept to the thickest of the treeline, skirting obstacles in his path, hand pressed hard to side. In far off distance, fence appeared. Craving second wind, Sterling forced extra from himself and distance between prey and hunter was slightly increased.

Crewe of the Archangel

Christophe paced himself, watching intently and judging Sterling's next actions. With sudden strike of clarity he veered left, dissapearing into the rough. Now footwork gained stealthy manner, Paris had taught him well and Christophe believed that a lesson well learned should always be used to some advantage.

He veered again, carefully picking way through thickets and natural blockades. In the distance, the sound of Sterling's direction resounded the Wilds and Guardian smiled in secretive knowing.

ClaudeDuval.jpg

Sterling continued on, fence to others' land growing closer with each step and, he now reasoned all too visible to one in pursuit as well. He slowed, ducking under heavy cover for a moment.

Knowing all too well he could not remain put for long, he removed waistcoat and cautiously hooked garment to nearest tree. From hunter's view just perhaps they would be mistaken for hunted. Slowly he inched back the way he had come before he could turn once more for fence, forcing himself every few feet to stop and be still. Hearing far keener than most, but blinded in one eye, caused him to listen to the surrounding area's sounds. And then he heard what he had hoped for. There were others beyond the fence. From sound of accents they were not Le Cour.

Crewe of the Archangel

Papillion sat with brightly colored skirts flared about where she knelt. Sunlight stroked mocha skin with sensual caress, creating dreamscape quality within her proximity to the shade that lay around her. Sharp amber eyes centered upon fenceline and those about her that lent to task were not given second thought. This is where she was told to wait, this is where the one desired would crossover and Destiny would take its' want to be fulfilled.

Smallish stirring unseen produced a nod of satisfaction, and she rose to slender hiegth and petit stature; waiting for lapin to bound over. A song of ancient homelands entertwined with laborer's motions, blending with sweet serenade of native avian accompniments.

O shoshoy kaste si feri yek khiv sigo athadjol.~Romani Proverb

Celui qui ne sait pas se taire sait rerement bien parler.~Pierre Charron

Attention! All formats of plot and characterizations produced under the monikers "Aurore Devareaux" or "Tempest Fitzgerald" are protected under the statutes of Copyright law. All Rights Reserved. F.T.M.

Each second held in stillness seemed an eternity in passing. Slowly turn was made and fence approached once again from different, and hopefully unexpected angle. Body froze as twig cracked from behind him, Frenchman was only as good as forest would permit. Soon fence was within easy reach and even more to benefit, foreign voices drew closer. Lungs had calmed a bit and were quickly given their fill and one last time prey bolted for freedom.

Crewe of the Archangel

Amber sights fell to where disruption of fenceline occured. First hands of sun touched, but far lighter than her own; followed by crown of pale colored hair. A knowing smile graced the lips of toffee tinctured porcelin face as visage of calm was offered to wayward rabbit.

Hand extended with invitation...

Attention! All formats of plot and characterizations produced under the monikers "Aurore Devareaux" or "Tempest Fitzgerald" are protected under the statutes of Copyright law. All Rights Reserved. F.T.M.

As fence was cleared, Sterling halted abruptly never expecting to find Her in his path. He looked a moment at the hand that was held out toward him and then to smiling face, then twisted as sharp pain lanced through innards.

"This is not Devareaux land. Stand aside and let me pass," he whipsered. He knew not what else to say. All arguements that he had wished to press upon her were suddenly lost. Only heart ached more than lungs or side.

Crewe of the Archangel

"tis a trut'....dis land don' belong to no Sooty Berds...." Papillion moved closer, a water color of calico cladding. Hand still extended, it came to rest on scarred cheek; the amber of her eyes seeming to riffle and spark in amusement to his statement.

"Then you shall let me pass? And quickly," Sterling said. "There is one still after me."

Crewe of the Archangel

Soft hand traced the scaring, eyes not wavering, " Dey one tha' follows will give you no troubles....Fate got bigger tings in store fer you an' I's to make sure tha' you meet wit' its' Sayer."

The scrape of leather to stone played to her hearing, but no effort was made to turn her attention to Frenchman upon fence peak. Again stroke was laid to Sterling's face before deserting to capture near hand with reassuring squeeze.

"Dat boy will listen ta me...even when he won' to any other..."

It would have been easy to lean into the comfort of her hand, like grateful dog that had just been spared a beating. And, although former words merely caused confusion, later and squeeze of hand settled upon him with ease.

"I need to sit... rest a bit," he stammered. "I am grateful for your assistance."

Crewe of the Archangel

Again the calming smile was offered and spot of sunny nature pointed to. Releasing his hand, she walked without hurry to where Christophe lingered. Frenchman's expression was portrait of bemusement barely allowed surface view. Snaking an arm through one of his, Papillion gave gentle tug indication direction and he begrdgingly followed; though no effort was given to mask the glare shot towards Sterling's spot of repose.

"You needs leave tha' one alone..."

He opened his mouth to protest and gained no ground as one slender finger found placement upon his lips.

"You jus' do as I sez...She got buisness wit dat one an' you knows better than to be interferrin'....."

There was no mistaking the disgruntlement rendered on Christophe's face, but she extended meager stance to tip toe and whispered in his ear. Although irritated with what she asked, Frenchman gave in. Slipping away, glare was shot again to Englishman, just before agile thief dissapeared over fence. Mocha Butterfly returned and kneeled back within sun's display.

"Now, you jus' rest a time....Den we got someplace to go....An' you gots tings to harken to...."

He looked at woman quizzically, a thousand questions passing rapidly through thought. He lay back against the grass and chose rather to ignore them. “Things say ye? What difference would any of it make?” He closed his eyes, hand pressed once again to side, and wished silently the woman would go away.

Crewe of the Archangel

Papillion sat in sunny circle, spreading rainbow aray of skirts about her.

"You be makin' fool choices, boy. You don' know de whole game an' be makin' up rules as you go along....."

She tsked, amber sights training on his face.

"You about to make a bigger mistake den de one you already have. Bu' if you don' wan' ta listen, den fine. I think dat Frenchie jus' left be more den glad to take your place....and raise what you t'row out..."

Papillion rose to her feet and turned to walk away.

Sterling propped himself up slightly on elbows. Eyeing woman he laughed.

"Raise? Aurore? No one raises her, she's a mind of her own," voice faltered. "One that does not include me." He flopped back down in the cool grass. "Lambert is welcome to her. Let him give her his heart and see how she crushes it."

Crewe of the Archangel