Port Royal, Jamaica

sirhenrymorgan

With a subtle shrug of her shoulders, she added, “Is that what you think? It would not be to my advantage to do so, now would it? Besides, since you claim you are not interested, what difference do looks or cost make?” Hazel eyes then glanced back at him. “I would not mock you sir. I find, after our strange meeting, that you interest me, tis all.”

• Replies 3.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

“Is that so?” Sterling asked. Still studying her, he raised his glass for a second taste.

"I being shot through the left cheek, the bullet striking away great part of my upper jaw, and several teeth which dropt down the deck where I fell... I was forced to write what I would say to prevent the loss of blood, and because of the pain I suffered by speaking."~ Woodes Rogers

Crewe of the Archangel

http://jcsterlingcptarchang.wix.com/creweofthearchangel#

http://creweofthearchangel.wordpress.com/

“No, not at all,” Sterling replied.

"I being shot through the left cheek, the bullet striking away great part of my upper jaw, and several teeth which dropt down the deck where I fell... I was forced to write what I would say to prevent the loss of blood, and because of the pain I suffered by speaking."~ Woodes Rogers

Crewe of the Archangel

Nelly made her way back to him, smoothly, seeming to glide as if on air. Her silk skirts rustled softly, causing him to look up at her again.

“Then you must realize I am all too serious,” she said, her tone subdued. “For, truth be told, you do, indeed, intrigue me, sir,” she added, as her hand moved to part the lower portions of his waistcoat and then graced her objective beneath the covering of woollen trouser front. She eyed the simple tensing of his jaw followed by arduous swallow. Skilled fingers quickly unfastened several buttons, then nimbly apprehended motivation for her being.

“Don’t,” Sterling stated flatly.

Crewe of the Archangel

“Aye,” Sterling whispered, his own hand straying to take her by the wrist. Then, remembering all to well, he corrected himself. “No.”

Crewe of the Archangel

“Ah is that it then?” She raised herself upward on toes of her silk slippers and teased his lips with her own. As his hold on her wrist relinquished, hers intensified. “I can make you forget her,” she whispered. “As long as you do not make things difficult. I promise I shall do my utmost to make things,” she paused purposefully, before she concluded with one last word. “Hard.”

Then as if to curtsy she dipped and dropped to her knees before him.

“WHORE!”

The very words rang through Lilly’s ears and stung deeply as she retreated against the oversize chair in Lord Darnly’s office. The vision of Lord Darnly’s face twisted with anger made her heart stop. It was on that very night she knew she had to flee his clutches.

It only took less than eight months to realize that he was no manner of man she wished to deal with. Regrettably, she had waited too long to tell Captain Sterling of her plans to marry him. He had already set sail and now she was alone in the clutches of this mad man.

With a start she awoke to a dark and quiet room.

photo-2975.jpg?__rand=0.71617700+1286403
Member of "The Forsaken"

The burden of truth sat as cumbersome stone in the pit of his stomach and it rolled and gnawed with greatened agitation. Sister had fallen into restless form of exhaustion conjured sleep not long after Secret was given airing to his hearing; and he had done well not to react. As her breathing eased into slumber rhythm, Sabastian had slipped bed borders, forsaking deep cushion for glazier view of the yard beyond chamber confines.

Time had lost hold on his senses, and Beggar Prince gave no recollect nor notice to its' passing from window vigil. Dark eyes were cloaked with far away dressings and thoughts lumbered slowly with molasses progress. Too much had happened in too short an increments of time, and though quite normally apt at side stepping obstacles with ease, he found himself nearing the boundaries of overwhelm.

Allowing drapery to fall back into place, choking what little light dared inner sanctum, Dauphin navigated dark interior with hushed step to where High Backed chair and small table comrade hide in shadowed depths. Seating was gained, slender fingers releasing decanter crown with agile ease. Soul's Windows drifted to where she shifted damask coverlets, then elixir’s burn gave earnest effort to warm the cold clutching his innermost being.

It is time to pause, even so early, for this account is not intended to be about my life...but is, as I have said, about my life's secrets. Secrecy is intrinsic to my work. ~ Christopher Priest

“Five and Twenty Ponies, Trotting thru’ the Dark.

Brandy for the Parson, 'Baccy for the Clerk. Laces for a Lady, Letters for a Spy.Watch the wall my darling; While the Gentlemen go by.”~Rudyard Kipling

ClaudeDuval.jpg

With her hold lightened of several tons of gunpowder, the Rakehell rocked gently at her moorings. I lay in my cot, tired after almost four and twenty hours awake, but found sleep elusive. Even Ludo's fine meal of grilled fish and rice, accompanied by several glasses of celebratory port, couldn't drive away the unease which gripped me.

I let my gaze wander aroud the small cabin, lit by an oil lamp hanging from the center beam. This small, relatively private place, had been my home for five years. And for those five years, I possessed a ship, a small trunk of clothes, a few books, and a fine china tea set. I also possessed a certain amount of freedom, but I was also responsible for a crew of men who had, over the years, become my friends. My family. They trusted me to look out for them, and honor their opinions if they didn't agree with mine.

We had money. Tomorrow we would have provisions. Then what? It was clear to me the crew wanted to leave Port Royal, especially after the ship had been searched. No ship of "free enterprise" felt comfortable being searched by the local authorities. We could head back to Boston, or Charles Town, picking off a few ships as we went along. But how long would our luck hold? I knew only too well that the law would catch up with us eventually. Someone would talk, someone would point a finger at the Rakehell and whisper, "Pirates."

I rolled over and stared out the stern window. The cold, glittering stars gave no answers to my many questions. There was only one reason I could think of to stay in Port Royal, and at this moment, I had no idea where he was.

...schooners, islands, and maroons

and buccaneers and buried gold...

RAKEHELL-1.jpg

You can do everything right, strictly according to procedure, on the ocean, and it'll still kill you. But if you're a good navigator, a least you'll know where you were when you died.......From The Ship Killer by Justin Scott.

"Well, that's just maddeningly unhelpful."....Captain Jack Sparrow

Found in the Ruins — Unique Jewelry

Found in the Ruins — Personal Blog

Nelly sat still, one hand moved gently, fingers combing through Sterling’s long, blond hair as he slept. She had thought things would have been better. They had continued on through the night. He using her, at first, as nothing more than a tool. But with each act, he had grown more thoughtful of her needs, or at least until his actions betrayed that thoughts of wife had once again invaded their time together. As haunting began, Nelly noticed, he would close his eyes, becoming more selfish as he progressed and as act was finalized, he was once more completely lost to the spell of other woman‘s memory. He would turn from her but would not leave the comfort of her bed or her company.

Nelly’s hand moved to caress his cheek and he awoke. There was no smile of greeting and she knew he was not pleased to find her besides him.

“Good morning,” Nelly said. “Sleep well?”

“Aye,” he had to admit. He fell silent, his thoughts turning back to the night before. She was indeed talented, well taught. Yet, even after seed had been spent, he had found himself feeling more frustrated than satisfied. He looked back at Nelly, his gaze drifting over her.

“What says the clock?” he asked, moving to her.

Crewe of the Archangel

Instantly, other woman came between them. Quickly frustrated, this time Sterling pulled from her before he had finished. Rolling away, heels of palms came up to press hard against temples, his eyes stinging with sweat. Flinging linens aside, Sterling freed himself from bed’s captivity and stormed across to pitcher and basin. Water was emptied into waiting bowl. Cupped hand filled with warm liquid and he lowered his face to accept it. Nelly watched as he suddenly began to pull clothing back into place over stained form. He said nothing.

Crewe of the Archangel

“There is something I must do,” Sterling replied. He reached into pocket. Fingering a coin, he suddenly felt awkward.

Crewe of the Archangel

“I shall take my chances,” he said. Coin quickly forgotten for the moment.

Crewe of the Archangel

Nelly was surprised at the disappointment she felt. Reaching for silk dressing gown, she climbed from the bed and went to join him. Her hands strayed over waistcoat buttons, checking to see to their proper closure. “I shall wait for you. Come back to me,” she whispered. The look he offered her gave nothing to convince her of his return, so she kissed him. The results of which were more positive. “I will be here,” she added as she broke from him. It was a moment before he nodded, then left the room.

Nelly moved to the window to watch him until he disappeared, then called upon Sally. The young girl quickly came when beckoned.

“You are not pleased Mistress?” the young maid asked as the older woman turned from her watching.

“Things are not going as I had hoped,” Nelly answered. “He is a troubled soul.”

“Ah your favorite type then. And you shall be his best cure,” Sally said, already stripping dismal sheets from the bed. “He is a handsome one, save for the mark. I have seen him about the port.”

Nelly looked up. “You have? Continue.”

“Yes Mistress. He is the man who was shot during the thieves funeral.” Her mistress must surely have seen the wounds that were still fresh during her time with the man. “And Mistress, I have also seen him the day of the fire. He was the one married to Le Cour’s grand dame, Aurore Devareaux. He is a sea captain… John Sterling I believe is his name.”

“Are you certain he is one and the same?” Nelly asked suddenly brightening.

“I believe so, Mistress.” She lowered her voice as if there were others about. “He is also the one they now claim has died.”

“Died?” Nelly giggled at the thought of a dead man in her embrace. “He proved very much alive!” Sally laughed as she gathered up the dirty linens. And Nelly quickly laid claim to the trump cards Sally had dealt upon the gaming table.

“Aurore Devareaux,” Nelly whispered aloud. Knowing her competition would make further attempts to lift Sterling’s burden all the more easier. “Hurry Sally. See to a bath and a meal. I think a simple dress for tonight. Quickly! Quickly, there is much to do. Cancel my other appointments, tell them… I am unwell and I need the rest of the week for myself,” she added then smiled. “And for Captain Sterling.”

"I'll nae be denied a drink because of a bunch of rosary fiddlers!"

“Hizo él dice lo que pienso?” The younger stopped mid stab to raise his dark eyes to the shabbily dressed man across the room.

The elder paused as well, brow furrowed thoughtfully as he translated the heavily accented English.

“Creo que si.” His reply held the hint of genuine surprised.

He turned in his chair, sight following his companions though the shadowy space. The skittish barkeep had disappeared again, leaving only the gentleman in his faded robe and battered hat. Small eyes glared back at the Spaniards.

“Pienso que no le gustamos nosotros.”

“Piensa?” The younger nearly laughed. The knife blade was wiped clean on his dark breeches before vanishing into his waistband. The youthful Spaniard then rose, intent on the source of the insult, hand instinctively shifting from knife to the pommel of his short sword. He was stopped only by the elder’s bulk as he also stood. A heavy hand rested over the younger mans, preventing the blade from being drawn.

“Un momento chico. No necesitamos más problemas que nuestro capitán se crea.”

The elder philosopher smiled, a shining white glint compared to the dimly lit room. With his head held high he turned, striding across to where the boisterous man stood. The younger Spaniard followed closely behind, tanned palm still cupping the steel handle, his urge to gut the insolent Anglican barely contained.

Elder smiled at the newcomer as the two men drew near, the expression never reaching past his lips. “Pliz don let uz baver yor, eh, drix, zur.”

"If part of the goods be plundered by a pirate the proprietor or shipmaster is not entitled to any contribution." An introduction to merchandize, Robert Hamilton, 1777

Slightly Obsessed, an 18th Century reenacting blog

Uncomfortable that he had well over staid his visit and, now, forced to make his way out into crowded streets in the broad daylight, Sterling hurried to livery stables. Chestnut was acquired with few words, and all too easily recognized current master. Sterling mounted and held himself to casual walk through mob, not wishing to have to shout out to anyone to clear his path or watch their backs. He rode, head hanging down, not wishing to draw any attention to himself. But as soon as edge of port neared, carriage was corrected and Chestnut was coaxed into trot and then into full gallop.

His concentration settled not on time just passed with blond whore. Honestly, Nelly Greene was the last thing that came to mind. Instead, only thoughts of Aurore were given place, always culminating in final betrayal of only daughter Sarah.

“Surely ye of all people should know, only too well, the difficulties a young girl faces in this world,” Sterling argued aloud to himself as he rode along. “Especially alone!”

Chestnut’s ears twitched back and forth as master continued in private debate, thoughts hashed and rehashed again and again, until mangled and corrupted. His temper began to flare, his side ache and mount was pushed to make the journey to Le Cour Cottage at an impossible pace.

Crewe of the Archangel

MacCraige quickly took Lilly's hand as she started from her dream.

"Tis alright lass, ye be havin' a nightmare. Ye be safe now. Go back ta sleep, mornin' will be here soon enough" he said with a yawn. He settled back into the chair beside her bed and looked to his first mate who sat facing the door, his pistol resting across his knee.

"I be watchin' fer a while Ewan, get ye some rest." he said to the sailor.

"Aye cap'n, I be a bit tired." he laughed softly. Ewan MacGregor stood and stretched his shoulders before finding a spot against the wall to lean his worn frame. He was asleep before his body was completely stretched out upon the floor.

Doctor Reiley sat in the corner, his head tilted back, snoring as if he would shake the shingles from the roof. "Who can be sleepin' wit that bit o' noise in any case." MacCraige laughed to himself. :rolleyes:

Yo ho ho and a bottle of rum...