Port Royal, Jamaica

sirhenrymorgan

Childermass watched goings on of Marshallsea from sheltered overhang. It was with idle curiosity that viewed the scene that elapsed and spread before him. Far too many years in far to many Squares, made his mental workings click and judge the intentions and possible outcomes. Unconscious and instinctual contemplations whirled in ghostly waltz, slowing to deductions that produced little more than hushed tsk.

Conclusion arrived and was punctuated by draught from produced flask; further accentuated by low chuckle. Retreating further into enigmatic clutch, recollection stated that even smaller fortitude would shrug off the impact of such small keg. Oh, it would produce scathing of some qualities...But would suffer as Jericho; nor would it burn as Rome.

Movement realigned Seth's focus, as flask was tucked away to the comfort of hidden fold. Wraith's expression pinched, ever so slightly as the man cloaked in evening hues came into view, and if it had been initial intention to wander on towards different venues...such thoughts were brought to halt.

Head tilted just to the merest degree, raptor's attention followed Pinon's locomotion with intense interests as the shadows wrapped about scarred visage with Lover's embrace...

Maid, Matron and Crone paused their progress, gazing upon mirrored, yet contrasting forms, of the same beast.

It is time to pause, even so early, for this account is not intended to be about my life...but is, as I have said, about my life's secrets. Secrecy is intrinsic to my work. ~ Christopher Priest

“Five and Twenty Ponies, Trotting thru’ the Dark.

Brandy for the Parson, 'Baccy for the Clerk. Laces for a Lady, Letters for a Spy.Watch the wall my darling; While the Gentlemen go by.”~Rudyard Kipling

ClaudeDuval.jpg

• Replies 3.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

“Damnation!” Sterling exploded as the keg outside did as well. He felt the blow deep in his center and threw himself back down to the floor of his cell, hands covering his head as best as chains would allow. For seconds after the noise of the explosion faded, there was complete silence along the row of cells. All anyone could hear, at first, was the ringing in their ears, then abruptly prisoners began to stir … and yell … and bellow … and create all manner of noise. Sterling cautiously rolled over onto his side and sat up. Smoke rolled into his cell.

“Yer brother?” Sterling hollered, heal of palm now against his ear, trying to revive his hearing.

He was answered with a broad grin from the man next door. Then both moved quickly to the wall, fanning away the smoke as they went. Finn’s grin grew even larger as a hole, large enough for a small man to pass through now miraculously appeared at the base of the wall to his cell. The only problem was that the hole did not extend far enough. If the captain were lucky, he could possibly pass his hand through the tiny opening on his side of the bars. With a hard kick, Finn brought his foot to bear upon the surrounding stone. Only several small pieces of gravel fell to the ground, nothing else gave. It was then the sound of guards clamoring down the hallway overpowered the racket of the prisoners. Sterling looked back over his shoulder then quickly to Finn.

“Go! Now! Before ye lose yer chance!” he urged. “Go to my wife! By now my ship has fled these waters. There is no one here that can help me other than she. And for God's sake, tell her I love her! ” Sterling froze as a familiar voice drowned out the others. He turned and made his way back to the door to his cell and watched as the guards continued their way down the hall, beating back the hands that stretched outward toward them through iron bars. It was not difficult to spot the tall man in black who took up the rear, ordering the others to hurry. The soldiers stopped before Sterling’s cell, keys hastily put to use and the door flung open causing Sterling to step back nearly stumbling over the chains that bound his ankles.

“Take him!!” Nimrod Pinon wailed. “Isolate him from the others I said! Bury him deep in the bowels of this stink hole or you will answer for it!!”

Hands seized hold of Sterling, no one taking notice of the goings on in the next cell over. Once again he was dragged down the dark hallway, the tall man in black following close at hand.

“Wait! Why are ye doing this? Why am I being treated differently from any of the others?” Sterling asked as he was carried along, but his shouts only fell on deaf ears.

"I being shot through the left cheek, the bullet striking away great part of my upper jaw, and several teeth which dropt down the deck where I fell... I was forced to write what I would say to prevent the loss of blood, and because of the pain I suffered by speaking."~ Woodes Rogers

Crewe of the Archangel

http://jcsterlingcptarchang.wix.com/creweofthearchangel#

http://creweofthearchangel.wordpress.com/

Ian scurried through the hole. The dust settling, he looks back and can only hear the Captain calling out to him. Ian doesn't quit running until he feels his heart about to burst through his chest. He lept over a low wall and found himself in the graveyard behind the old church. He tried to breathe silently waiting for the approaching footsteps from the guard. But there were none. He peered over a headstone and even in the dark could see the dust still surrounding the prison, but no one following him. He waited a moment more and then headed west along the water until he could see the lanterns at Fort Morgan. Ian turned north and weaved his way through the narrow alleys until he found himself back at the docks on the north side of Port Royal. He was exhausted and thirsty.

Titim gan éirí ort.

There are many forms of evil. We urge you lesser forms of filth not to push the boundaries into true corruption, into our domain.

Come now, you rich, weep and howl for your miseries that are coming upon you! Your riches are corrupted, and your garments are moth-eaten. Your gold and silver are corroded, and their corrosion will be a witness against you and will eat your flesh like fire. James 5:1-3

Liam watched all that transpired from his spot in the shadows. He nearly shot a man whom he thought was going to try and disrupt the charge set, but instead the coward ran away bellowing to all what was to happen. Soon after the cask erupted in a glorious explosion. While the smoke still lingered and chaos reigned, he watched as Ian sprinted away, yet the captain who was also within did not follow. He waited a moment or two longer, hoping that the man was just slow in his escape. As chaos began to be reigned in he could wait no longer. He darter away into the blackness of night, following where his brother might travel. After twenty minutes of covering all the usual places they found themselves, he had come up empty handed. “Where th’ fek are ye brudder o’ mine?” he mumbled to himself. He wiped his face with his neckerchief and there in front of him passed Ian, a block away. “There ye be ya dumb bastard!” Liam walked briskly, trying to catch up to his kin on his way to the docks of Port Royal.

Titim gan éirí ort.

Go mbeire an diabhal leis thú

So we shall flow a river forth to Thee and teeming with souls shall it ever be.

Mistress Lilly awaken slowly. She felt bewildered and a bit disarrayed as she tried to figure out what had occurred. It was then she heard her name called out. It was the young Officer in charge. “Are you all right, Mistress?” His voice still trembling from the shock. “Yes, I think so.” She muttered back to him in the darkness.

As she opened her eyes and they adjusted to the darkness she found it difficult to catch her breath. She began to cough and then looked up. It was apparent that the glass window which was located in the middle of the gate house had been blown out. She could now see the dust linger in the air as the light from the moon shone in where the window once was.

“Bloody hell…” mumbled the Officer. “Damn those elusive…” Suddenly there was then the sound of heavy footsteps approaching them.

photo-2975.jpg?__rand=0.71617700+1286403
Member of "The Forsaken"

She stood in relative darkness in back of the large common room, hands on her hips surveying all of her domain. She didn't need the money, her adventures had been good to her starting the day she was rescued from the white spic of an island after the ship wreck ages ago. She had learned much in the years since, anything anyone was willing to teach her. The first, and most precious lesson, was the abilities to read and write and calculate figures. These skills had brought her far and kept her well. The simple lessons of Aesop's fables, the first book she purchased so many years ago, had guided her also. Never would she regret the skills she has acquired, sailing, combat, attack strategy, weaponry, cooking! She could captain a ship if it were her desire but she never had the desire. She was contented to let others have that responsibility. She preferred to lead from the ranks. A smile crossed her face as she thought back on many of the old crew some long gone others still on the seas and the Captains that initially took her on. Closing her eyes she remembered fondly the one lad she would always love, and her heart still danced when presented with his image. A good, caring man...

BANG!

WOT THE? The few patrons asleep around the hearth roused at the sound. Silkie instantly headed to the front door ...her eyes slowly adjusted to the glow of the city street. Guards from every fort around the city rushed up High Street towards the east end, shouts about the prison followed the troupes as they passed. She turned back into the ordinary and headed to the living quarters in the back to rouse a few of the staff. Joseph would be needed in the kitchen and unless things got very busy she could handle the needs of the guests. She also woke the lad Hamish sending him out to gather what news he could. It would be a long night ...perhaps even profitable.

As the young office assisted Mistress McKinney to her feet they saw several guards looking through a large gapping hole where a window use to be. “Lieutenant Bartholomew?” One called out into the dark and debris filled room. “Yes, I am well. What news do you have?” “It was an escape attempt, Sir. We fear that someone tried to release Captain Sterling through force.” Lieutenant Bartholomew’s eyes quickly drifted to Mistress Lilly. “He has since been taken to a more secure area in the prison. We have posted an extra guard at his door, just in case.”

“Very well, I shall send word to my Superiors. In the meantime, send some of your men to help clear this mess up. I cannot manage with my office is such disarray!

The Lieutenant slowly moved back to his desk. His chair was broken. The right arm was gone and the back of the chair laid open from the blast. “Your Captain seems to have many friends who wish to see him free, Mistress McKinney.” She said continuing with his paperwork, some now charred and damaged.

Lilly became very aware that the situation for freeing her beloved Captain had gone from minutely possible to dreadfully insurmountable. Now the young officer looked with suspicion at Lilly. “What?” Lilly said as she looked with disbelief at the Lieutenant. “Come now, you do not think ‘I’ had anything to do with this poorly planned plot to free Captain Sterling, do you?”

The young officer just looked up from his paperwork with an unconvincing stare. His face now flushed with red, his voice trembling as he tried to control his temper. “I find it extremely ironic that you, Mistress McKinney, come here with your pleas of mercy and tales of woe, befitting an actress of your station, only for me to be blindsided by your precious looks and feminine qualities while your paid minions sneak off to free your dear Captain Sterling! How dare you think you can fool me, Lieutenant Bartholomew?!” He quickly picked up the letter that Lilly had dropped in the commotion of the explosion. “This letter is forged! I am sure of it! I shall hold it in evidence. In the meantime, I am arresting you for the attempted escape of one Captain John Sterling! Guard!”

Lilly stood there in shock as two guards quickly took her under arrest.

photo-2975.jpg?__rand=0.71617700+1286403
Member of "The Forsaken"

When she finally arrived at the Royal Grace, it was well past dark. It had taken longer than she had anticipated for a few things to be packed and the coach readied. When she and her three servants sailed through the doors of the inn, she was surprised to discover all in disarray. She was informed that Mr. Spindlethorpe had taken to his bed in a near state of apoplexy.

"What the devil is going on?" Lady Violet demanded of the trembling serving maids.

One quivering girl answered, "Spaniards, rioting Scots, the kitchen in a shambles, cook run off—"

"That's quite enough." Lady Violet stopped the hysterical girl in mid-sentence. "See that my things are taken up to my usual room. And I'll want a decanter of Irish whiskey sent up as well. And tell that simpering Spindlethorpe to get out of bed and take charge of things!"

At that moment the usual bustle of evening was interrupted by the roar of an explosion. The poor servant girl fainted dead away. The other two ran shrieking from the common room. Sugar commenced to barking frantically.

"Oh, what now?" Lady Violet asked in exasperation.

LADYVIOLET2.jpg

Christophe draped lithe frame with eloquated poise within simple chair's confine. Nary a muscle twitched, nor waver of focus befell slate tinctured eyes as they gazed raptly upon sleeping form. No acknowledgement given to the room's was stagnant quality; something that could not be urged to change even with shutters flung wide.

She stirred in slumber, now and again, but never enough to gain the waking world. Occasionally, his view would be disturbed by Bella's administration of cool cloth to charge's fevered brow and his expression would furrow minutely to interruption.

Left hand rested casually over blunder's stock; its' smooth caressed with index finger stroke to and fro. A lapse of hour's time had fleeted since his arrival, though no note was taken and very few words had been traded betwixt himself and sometimes Lover in its passage. With feline grace, near standing goblet was taken from wooden plateau and contents sampled then replaced.

She stirred again, this time gaining conquest over Morpheus' grasp; expression momentarily confused then smoothing as recognition of surround took place. Carefully adjusting her posture to sitting upright, attention swung to where Frenchman staked claim. Smallish tempest stroked the planes of fine wrought face just before aqueous diamonds broke the dams and flooded to worn quilt shrouding.

It is time to pause, even so early, for this account is not intended to be about my life...but is, as I have said, about my life's secrets. Secrecy is intrinsic to my work. ~ Christopher Priest

Brandy for the Parson, 'Baccy for the Clerk. Laces for a Lady, Letters for a Spy.Watch the wall my darling; While the Gentlemen go by.”~Rudyard Kipling

ClaudeDuval.jpg

Marshallsea was in turmoil.

As Sterling was pushed further into the prison’s innards, he felt as if he were swimming against a powerful current of soldiers. Men swarmed about them, pushing their way past in the opposite direction, heading to see to the damage inflicted by the blast and to try to restore sanity to the inmates. When finally Sterling was brought to a halt, he found himself before a full oak door, substantial, weighty, and ominous. The only bars were located in the grill work that now lay hidden behind a small square door within the door. As heavy object was unlocked and shouldered open, stale air from years of disuse escaped out into the passageway nearly bowling them over where they stood. As first man entered small area of confinement, torch sputtered and dimmed, casting nightmarish shadows on walls that were solid stone.

Gone were the iron bars that separated cell from cell, in fact, this hell hole was all that seemed to exist in this section of the prison. Pinon entered next, glanced briefly about then, with nod of approval, made his way back out into the passage. Icy gaze was focused on Keeper and anger was finally unleashed.

“He should have been placed here from the start!” Pinon barked. “Surely I made myself plain enough when first I gave you your instructions! If he has managed to send word to the outside, I shall be sorely disappointed and you, sir, shall find yourself and family out in the gutter.”

Keeper bristled at commencement of tongue lashing but held his own in check.

“What other instructions have you not comprehended?” Pinon continued.

The other man shook his head. “None, sir, we have done as you have asked. Other than the prisoners in the cells about him, he has had no contact with anyone save the guards or myself.”

“He should not even have contact with you!!” Pinon screamed.

“I have taken what little coin he had upon his person,” the Keeper interjected. “He has nothing left with which to tempt anyone.”

Pinon turned suddenly, ice cold eyes making a quick study of Sterling’s person. Silver buckles glared up at him from Sterling’s shoes. Long, slender finger jutted to point.

“Take them! Take his shoes!” Pinon whirled on the Keeper. “And so help me if anything more goes amiss before his trial….”

“No wait!” Sterling interrupted Pinon’s rant as one of the soldiers bent to Pinon’s order. He backed away as best he could, leg irons still hindering his steps. “Why are you doing this? Surely there is something that you are not telling me. I am innocent of the charges you have brought against me and even if I were not, others in such a sorry state are not treated thus.”

Pinon’s hand darted forward, fixing about Sterling’s throat and forced him back even further until the wall and not his chains, brought Sterling to a standstill.

“Innocent?” Pinon offered, his tone as cold as the expression in his eyes. “And what of the Trade Winds’ overseer?”

Head pinned back against the hard stone, Sterling’s eyes lowered.

“For God’s sake, I do not even know if that be true either. Surely that alone does not require such treatment as I have received …I …surely…” eyes closed. Why would Reiley have lied regarding the murder of another man? If he had taken a life for reasons other than battle or self preservation what right had he to argue? He remained quiet as his shoes were taken from him and then he was cast into complete darkness as oaken barrier was hauled to a close.

"I being shot through the left cheek, the bullet striking away great part of my upper jaw, and several teeth which dropt down the deck where I fell... I was forced to write what I would say to prevent the loss of blood, and because of the pain I suffered by speaking."~ Woodes Rogers

Crewe of the Archangel

He noted the minute quiver of lip; the clouds that passed over artistic facial terra and for a brief, Christophe Tristan Lambert felt moment of preplexity. There was no doubt in his mind regarding the origin of her emotions, a thing that rested not easy in the core of his being. As he gazed upon the cavalcade of tears marring expressive eyes, wood-steel thunder was laid to the side and he rose hesitantly to full stature.

Sidelong glance was cast to where Isabella stood near window's reign, her face a picture of sympathy and tinged with female understanding. Frenchman carefully approached ticking border and the wide dark eyes centered on his proximity, lower lip contorted in reflextion of the pain inside. He fleeted a glance to Aurore's pleading expression than away quickly, realigning as smallish hand touched the back of his own.

Her voice came to his hearing as tortured whisper, "These things cannot be true. I do not believe their validity..." Fine boned fingers gained purchase, nestling within the crevices betwixt his own.

ClaudeDuval.jpg

It was a small gathering, nestled comfortably at the very edges of where hearth glow faded to more shadowy realms. Five in all, rounding a table that was jostled frequently and pounded on even interval with mirth and merriment shared. At its' head, and holding court with boisterous manner, Devon held tankard high in salute regarding some doxy known on Irish shores. Tales of equal nature traded the round, and whether or not any candle of truth existed was of no consequence or concern to those involved.

Heavy swig was taken of tankard once aloft, the roll of laughter occasionally drawing glances from other Common denizens, but nary a complaint. Proffering wide grin to reaction achieved, Burke drew breath to continue tales of bawdy nature; ceasing progress with start as near- far blast shook the surrounds. What remained within care of pewter's confine, escaped with gusto to rain down on immediate proximity. Silence ruled the minutes as puzzlement took the floor and several pairs of eyes looked about with cautious curiosity to the disturbance.

Subdue was broken as Burke realized his loss, expression pinched with genuine purturbance and examination of now empty vessel was made.

"Tis a right bleedin' sin, that...." He crossed himself with obvious dismay.

"Mary, Jayz an' all the Saints preserve us."

ClaudeDuval.jpg

Try as hard as he might wish, Sterling knew that even with two good eyes, he would never be able to see in his new accommodations without the use of a candle. And with naught but the small clothes on his back, payment for such an extravagance was out of the question. Like the blind man he now was, he moved gingerly about the cell, bound hands stretched outward, moving slowly over cool stone surfaces. At one point he tripped over a small wooden stool and fell, landing hard upon the cell's floor. Years of dirt and rotten straw erupted in clouds of dust about him. He climbed to his feet, sneezing, brushing the filth from him, before he could continue his exploration. All the while his mind should have been turning over thought after thought as to why he was where he now found himself and how he could rectify the situation. An ordinary man may even have toyed with the thought that he could not even remember when last he had eaten, but only one thing harried Sterling.

"Tis an easy thing to bed such a one then toss her aside. I have already annulled the marriage!”

Two simple sentences plagued him like nothing ever had before… that… and the possibility that now, he would never be able to tell his wife the truth.

Crewe of the Archangel

Devon waited patiently for request to be fulfilled, educated eye perusing the fineries which occupied the main parlor. Parchment with black seal had been given into his possession and in turn had been passed on to the one who would place it in proper hands. As to paperment contents, it was not of his concern, it was secondary. His duty consisted only of its' dispatch and the escort of addressee back to summoner's presence. Judging from the mood at origin, it was not an audience that he envied.

ClaudeDuval.jpg

Thief's focus turned to silkened voice and appraisal was further made of its' owner. Bow was offere; verbose controled, "Madame, tis no' for me to question er ponder the reasons. If Monsieur Devareaux requests, I simply fullfill...."

ClaudeDuval.jpg

Nelly stood a moment longer studying the man below. Perhaps he jumped when his master snapped his fingers but she was not so sure she wished to. And yet, she was curious to know why she had been sought out.

"A moment," she said and turned back to her chambers. Fine paper was withdrawn from warm mahogany desk draw and settled upon surface. Quill was brought to bare and message of regret for not being at home but with promise of quick return was hastily written. Blotting sand was delicately blown away with soft whisper of breath, then letter was folded, sealed and tied with silk cord. Nelly fetched a dark lace hood, a black vizard, and a lightweight cloak before she made her way gracefully to Burke's side. Letter was passed to Sally with strict instructions that if a certain captain was to show, in her absence, the young girl was to see that he was given the letter and that she was to impress upon him how sorely he had been missed and that her mistress begged for him to await her return.

"I will not be long Sally," Nelly said finishing and waited until Burke held the door open for her.

The alluring scent that surrounded her as tantalizing aura was not lost on Burke and his mind turned to more intriguing pursuits. The door was held respectfully for her passing through and one quick sidelong was given to the lass deemed Sally before thresh hold was crossed. Distance was conquered quickly by way of private carriage and Devon was not immune to veiled survey of cabin companion.

Destination acquired, support was offered to the ground below and escort provided to the inner being of chosen local. Deftly, fille petit was directed to upper floors and private room away from the disruption of Common ruckus. Knock was issued, bolt slid from secure resting and barrier eased back on heavy hinge.

Within, Roi ruled expanse of table length, Dauphin poised just to heavy chair's right.

"Bonsoir, Madame Greene...." Came low toned greeting as Elder gained standing, issuing nod to escort for door's resecure.

ClaudeDuval.jpg

"Maîtresse s'il vous plaît, Monsieur Devareaux," Nelly corrected him as she entered. She moved elegantly to a halt before summoner and black velvet mask was lowered.

"Je n'ai aucun désir d'être à la tête de mon propre ferme. Je suis la vie tout à fait contente comme je suis. On n'a pas besoin de beaucoup d'amants, juste les justes." Hazel eyes boldly held elder's gaze as she waited for a chair.

Sabastian raised a brow slightly to bold comment, but remained silent. Andre' almost smiled, but it was a fleeting thing at best and he stepped forward to draw a chair back for her seating. As she moved with grace to obtain what was offered, he leaned to her hearing.

"I shall caution you from the onset, I have not called you here to sample your wares...It is information that I seek. Something I am assured you have in your possession."

The tone gave polite context in only the coolest of facets.

ClaudeDuval.jpg

"Well then, since my wares are not for sampling but to pleasure those of my choosing, I must say that I hope, in fact, that I do have what you desire," Nelly replied. Hazel eyes softened then, as smile played along soft lips. "And how may I be of service... regarding said information?"

In act to ease the heavy qualities which sparked the air, Dauphin obtained libation fill captured with crystal cage and set offering before guest. Dark eyes evaluated her own quickly before returning to former placement. Andre' watched fille steadily before continuing,

"I wish to know of a Gentleman in dark adornments recent to this area. Obviously an individual of some status and power....And do yourself a kindness by not feigning ignorance, s'il vous plait."

ClaudeDuval.jpg

Nelly laughed.

"Feign ignorance Monsieur? La, there is no need for that, for Nimrod Pinon, in spite of his intriguing looks is the very devil himself. I am not afraid to say he lasted but one night in my bed before I dismissed him. So what little I do know I am willing to tell you if it may lead to his quick departure from this island. He had arrived in Port Royal nearly two months ago I should think and he has been here on business ever since."

She leaned forward, long, slender fingers embracing goblet stem. Voice lowered to enticing whisper.

"But I must be honest with you and admit that I do not know of what kind this business may be. I can tell you that he is employed by another. From letters I have seen it is someone of great power and influence but alas, I do not know exactly who."

For a moment, she actually paled. "I do not like the man. I believe he is capable of anything most wicked." She raised the glass to her lips momentarily. "And there is another. A woman came to speak with me the other day, at gun point. She, too, inquired after him making it sound as if he was looking for her as well as another."

Once again she paled. Cradling her hands in her lap beneath the long table, she faltered briefly before she recovered herself. "She said she had news to give Pinon regarding a sea captain with whom I am ... acquainted. I have only seen this captain once since then and I am afraid for him."

Her statements gained no reaction from Andre's visage; his posture was stone like, expression likewise...But never for an instant did the onyx sights waver from their mark. Younger echoed Brother's stance, but for minute disruption of cool overlay at her final mentionings. An insistent nagging tugged at the corners of his mind that he did well to squelch from outward presentations.

Andre' leaned forward, elbows finding support on wooden length; fingers elongating to steepled wrought as he considered what was placed before him. The word Pinon escaped his lips with slow and sneering manner as he continued study of the young woman before him as cat would when pair with mouse. Chin inclined a degree and he seemed to digest slowly the word uttered, as if testing its' texture and body.

"And why should some new acquaintance be of concern to you, Maîtresse..." Reptilian smile spread over swarth features. "Are they all not the same? An accord of business that has duration until time runs up...Until another comes to the gate seeking their time in the arena?"

From placement behind Elder's chair, Dauphin's jaw line gave hint of rigid bearing; but silence remained golden and the order of the hour.

ClaudeDuval.jpg

"And why should some new acquaintance be of concern to you, Maîtresse..." Reptilian smile spread over swarth features. "Are they all not the same? An accord of business that has duration until time runs up...Until another comes to the gate seeking their time in the arena?"

"It concerns me Monsieur Devareaux, because this man is kind ... and troubled. New gentlemen such as he, come until problems with other relationships, such as wives or sweethearts are resolved or completely dissolved. Last time I saw him that was not the case. The fact that the woman who threatened me had information about him for Monsieur Pinon, greatly troubles me, especially now that he has not kept his word in visiting me and he always has before." Nelly's gaze drifted to another place, no longer was it focused on the man before her. "I do not charge this man for his time with me, I have taken him as a lover because he...he is different from the others. Again, from what little I do know of him, I believe he may have come to some sort of harm and that he has not neglected me of his own free will."