Port Royal, Jamaica

sirhenrymorgan

Sterling tried to get to his feet as Mistress McKinney was taken from his side, shackles forcing him onto hands and knees in order to do so.

“No! WAIT!” he called after the guard but already it was too late. He lowered his head momentarily as she disappeared, forced down the hall, away from him.. Hand raised briefly, allowing fist to slam down against cell floor before he moved himself back into the corner again. Manchester took a step closer to him.

"My name, Sir, is Lucien Manchester. My services have been called upon to act as advisor on your behalf under the current circumstance that you seem to have found yourself in."

Sterling did not reply immediately. Drawing his knees upward to his chest, chains pushed over to mingle about his ankles with the others, he hugged himself tightly, before blond head cocked sideways allowing good eye to fall upon the newcomer.

“Who sent you?” he asked tersely, his tone tinged with bitterness.

"I being shot through the left cheek, the bullet striking away great part of my upper jaw, and several teeth which dropt down the deck where I fell... I was forced to write what I would say to prevent the loss of blood, and because of the pain I suffered by speaking."~ Woodes Rogers

Crewe of the Archangel

http://jcsterlingcptarchang.wix.com/creweofthearchangel#

http://creweofthearchangel.wordpress.com/

• Replies 3.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Tone fell upon deaf ears, though query did not. Lordling fastidiously plucked at the lace which hung curtain-like from his wrists and after finding satisfaction in its lay, attention returned to the corner and occupant. Another moment’s passing occurred as Lucien keened hearing to that which lay beyond door. Seeming pleased with what could be gleaned, a sly facet brushed his haughtiness and he stepped two paces closer. Posturing as if he were in regal surrounds instead of dank subterra, he answered enigmatically,

" A small and clever fox..."

It is time to pause, even so early, for this account is not intended to be about my life...but is, as I have said, about my life's secrets. Secrecy is intrinsic to my work. ~ Christopher Priest

“Five and Twenty Ponies, Trotting thru’ the Dark.

Brandy for the Parson, 'Baccy for the Clerk. Laces for a Lady, Letters for a Spy.Watch the wall my darling; While the Gentlemen go by.”~Rudyard Kipling

ClaudeDuval.jpg

Eyes widened as shock washed over him. Struggling to stand, he made his way as quickly as he could to the other man. Filthy hands reached out to seize dapper coat sleeve and Manchester could not help but retreat a step.

"Tell her," Sterling began, voice low whisper, a deep fear suddenly replacing bitterness. "You must tell her, that I did not mean the things I said. Tell her that I love her but she must stay away. Stay out of all this...If this Pinon..." he halted, moved away and fell silent.

"I being shot through the left cheek, the bullet striking away great part of my upper jaw, and several teeth which dropt down the deck where I fell... I was forced to write what I would say to prevent the loss of blood, and because of the pain I suffered by speaking."~ Woodes Rogers

Crewe of the Archangel

With retreated step taken, Lucien regained former posture and remained quiet as whispered plea was issued. At Sterling's sudden reaction and silence, Barrister set expression to loftiness and veiled what turned in methodical mind. Hearing once again focused on corridor behind. This judicial circumstance would not be an easy negotiation and Pinon's involvement made certain that other hands were at play.

Irritation plagued his thinkings, normally no desire for London tugged him...But in London, information could be obtained and hidden grudges uncovered. Something reeked; something smacked of shadowy workings...Something screamed coup d'etat.

This was a well thought out game of Chess and Lucien cared not for what pieces could not be viewed on the board.

It is time to pause, even so early, for this account is not intended to be about my life...but is, as I have said, about my life's secrets. Secrecy is intrinsic to my work. ~ Christopher Priest

Brandy for the Parson, 'Baccy for the Clerk. Laces for a Lady, Letters for a Spy.Watch the wall my darling; While the Gentlemen go by.”~Rudyard Kipling

ClaudeDuval.jpg

Eyes narrowed as good eye was once again focused on other man.

“How do I know what you say is true? Why should I trust you?” Sterling asked. “How do I know who you truly work for?”

Crewe of the Archangel

Heed of corridor was fleeted before gloved hand dipped into silk coat pocket then returned to view. Dancing in slow spin, dim light caressed bird's flight form on medallion surface. Sigil was extended for brief observation then tucked back safely within azure holdings.

ClaudeDuval.jpg

Scarred face paled then buried into fettered hands, as form seemed to crumble inward.

"You must tell her then! Warn her! If she must, make her leave this place and not return to all is over and done with and I am gone."

Crewe of the Archangel

Lucien allowed hint of wry smile and he spoke in low ironic tones,

"Such things are easily requested...But not so easily achieved. I shall inform the party involved of risks, but as to the last of it..."

Intelligent eyes roved over the Other briefly, "I would not worry of their fate overmuch, Sir...Those that have interest in said party's well fare are not those who are easily gained advantage over."

ClaudeDuval.jpg

“I would hope it was made perfectly clear upon your arrival that no one, absolutely no one was to see this man without my being present,” Nimrod Pinon said as he entered the cell. Black figure emerged from the darkness, stepping into faint light. Unlike others, he was forced to duck slightly to breach door’s opening. “Why is it that no one, including such as yourself Mr. Manchester, seems not to understand this?”

Lucien made graceful pivot and made no effort to veil his station in regard to newly arrived.

"I am quite aware of what has been requested, Sir. But need I remind you that I have been appointed by the Crown and beyond that I do caution you in the tone of which you choose to address me. Must I inform you of what you well know...or is it of necessity for me to remind you of propriety and station?"

Lucien proffered expression which compacted wordings before moving on.

" If we have gained clarity on these trivialities , Sir, we may proceed."

ClaudeDuval.jpg

"Ah yes," Pinon remarked as if to himself. “There are those that work for the Crown and those to whom that very same Crown acquiesces.” The dark man smiled at the thought.

“I find it interesting that you have requested to see this man,” haughty gaze directed itself to Sterling. “Surely he has not yet pleaded before the court, and yet has questions regarding his defense already? Why would you waste his time regarding a trial he cannot when?”

"Call it idle curiosity, Sir...For is it not know the reputation and scandals that have been whispered for quite the duration of time. And of what matter does it concern to you what I do with my time, Sir....My whims are quite mine own and is it not rather bold of you to question? Such qualities might be questioned in proper circles..."

Lucien inclined his chin slightly, "But I do believe perhaps I might dismiss such. Is there anything else that you wish to bat about, for I assume it near time for noon meal."

ClaudeDuval.jpg

Crewe of the Archangel

"Bat about, Mr. Manchester?" Pinon mocked surprise, one gloved hand pressing over his heart. "Me Sir? Twas not I that asked to come here to speak with the prisoner, but you sir or have you forgotten?"

Ice blue eyes steeled briefly. "As you say you are well aware of the instructions regarding this man, you are not to speak with him unless I am present, have you only then come to look upon him? Surely you have seen your share of murders and pirates before? Why then, sir, have you come?"

Until now, third party had remained aloof, as if being spoken about and yet not present. Sterling turned about, blond head lifting slightly.

"I am no pirate," he whispered.

Lucien well heard Sterling's hushed verbose, but avoided drawing attention to it. Eyes narrowing a degree, impatient wave was given.

"Mister Pinon, am I inclined to think that you are so bold as to question me? Perhaps your boldness shall not be so readily forgotten, Sir. Truly, you are making this venture an act of tedium and I must further comment that the current condition that is surrounding us seems rather extreme for the supposed murder of an Overseer. I find it to be rather laughable, but far from amusing. This man is the son of a Lord and is being placed in so disreputable squalor...."

Lucien tsked.

"Now, if you will excuse me, Sir. I have other matters to attend to and bid you good day"

ClaudeDuval.jpg

Pinon stood his ground, blocking the exit. Manchester would have to make his way around.

“Most interesting. Not one question asked,” lean shoulders’ shrugged.

“I have a question.”

Blue eyes widened in actual surprise as they fixed once again on Sterling.

“The charges … of piracy… who has brought them against me if not the Crown?” the captain asked. “What evidence is there? I wish to see it, now.”

"Yes, Mister Pinon...I must say that I am rather curious as to what basis of truth there is concerning said implication. It is of further interest to have said information sent to me post haste. Rather slovenly practice on someone's part that the documentations in question are not in my possession. Do see to remedying such in the very near future"

Condescending expression glossed over Lordling's features, " I am sure the Lord Magistrate would be quite interested in how shabbily things are attended to while in your charge."

ClaudeDuval.jpg

“As if I would walk about with such important papers in my possession! All evidence is safely locked away and his Lordship, Sir Michael Harrington, one of the judges who is to preside over the proceedings, is the holder of said key,” Pinon related. “As in any ordinary case, you will see all at the court when you go to plead.” He shook his head incredulously.

“Surely you well know this. No one would dream of withholding such from your perusal. As to the other case, there is a witness to your killing of the overseer. Him you shall meet at trial as well. He wishes until then to remain anonymous. As one can most certainly understand his apprehension where your in-laws are concerned. Cutpurses and smugglers.”

Pinon turned to look at Manchester. “Do you truly believe you can rely on this man’s social standing to help him? Are you not aware that his very own father has long ago, washed his hands of him? He was disinherited for marrying a whore, his father has not spoken to him since. Do you really think he will lift a finger to help him now that he is married to another one?”

Sterling hurled himself at Pinon, outstretched hands grasping for taller man’s throat. But he had misjudged the span of chain that bound his ankles together and he dropped short of his mark.

Crewe of the Archangel

Pinon dodged without difficulty, side stepping his assailant and with action far swifter than one would imagine, he snatched gold headed cane from barrister’s hold. Ice blue eyes blazed coldly, walking stick converting to weapon, as Pinon brought its end down callously against the sea captain’s crown. Sterling fell hard but Pinon was not content and raised staff once again. Second strike was delivered and then dark figure knelt down besides prisoner and rained down several more blows until Manchester found himself and was able to interfere.

Besmudged gold circumfrance was snatched in mid-air travel, its' course disrupted in flight. Lucien's eyes narrowed and tone dropped to icy levels.

"THAT is more than enough!!!"

There was no disguising the disgust currently displayed on Lordling's face, "Remove yourself, Sir. It is obvious that you cannot hide your base origins nor control them."

ClaudeDuval.jpg

Ice blue eyes smiled malevolently as Pinon regained his standing.

“An impassioned act of self defense is erroneous in your eyes Mr. Manchester? Fortunately it is not so regarding the law.” Sigh of boredom escaped the taller man. He bowed slightly, arm waving toward cell door.

“After you then.”

"Act of Self Defense, Mister Pinon? Is that what you wish to term said action. Bludgeoning a man fully shackled that can barely move about? And do not make error in my knowledge regarding law practice. I believe my Credentials from Cambridge stand well on their own."

Lucien eyed wraith suspiciously, "No, Mister Pinon....I do believe that after such a display, I will allow you the honour of departing this deplorable chamber ahead of mine person."

ClaudeDuval.jpg

Pinon straightened, voice falling to a cold whisper. “Do not try my patience Mr. Manchester, with your precious credentials. If you wish to keep your place in this trial, you will adhere to my dictates. Remember if the Crown has brought you here, it can easily replace you with another. Now I will repeat my offer to allow you to leave like a gentleman should, or would you rather I call the guard and have you dragged out as you had Mistress McKinney treated thus, not so long ago?”

Lucien was furious, but maintained cool outward veil, and no reply issued to dignify Pinon's statement. Slyed glance was given to where Sterling remained unmoving and he knew under current situation there was nothing that could be done to aid. Haughty gaze leveled on Wraith briefly then chamber was forefit.

ClaudeDuval.jpg