^, <, V

Pew

^ to read and write yes, to speak my spanish is somewhere between high Castillian and Mexcan Street :lol:

< thought winter was ending....nope more snow here in north east

V to build on the afore mentioned question....do ye enjoy films or books in another languge?

Mud Slinging Pyromanic , Errrrrr Ship's Potter at ye service

Vagabond's Rogue Potter Wench

First Mate of the Fairge Iolaire

Me weapons o choice be lots o mud, sharp pointy sticks, an string

• Replies 3.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

^ Took two sememsters of French once, when I went back to college. Don't think that qualifies as knowing.

< Actually, I am thinking of getting a French language tape or CD, and refresh my memory. Maybe also get one for Italian.

v Got a language you'd like to learn?

...schooners, islands, and maroons

and buccaneers and buried gold...

RAKEHELL-1.jpg

You can do everything right, strictly according to procedure, on the ocean, and it'll still kill you. But if you're a good navigator, a least you'll know where you were when you died.......From The Ship Killer by Justin Scott.

"Well, that's just maddeningly unhelpful."....Captain Jack Sparrow

Found in the Ruins — Unique Jewelry

Found in the Ruins — Personal Blog

^ Didn't they used to have those tapes you played at night, so you could learn a language? Would be nice if it worked. If I could learn something over night, I'd pick computer mastery. I am still a computer challenged person.

< I admire people who can speak multiple languages.

V Would you go to a different country to learn a language, or stay home with CD's?

RAKEHELL-1.jpg

You can do everything right, strictly according to procedure, on the ocean, and it'll still kill you. But if you're a good navigator, a least you'll know where you were when you died.......From The Ship Killer by Justin Scott.

^ Would need t' change career fields, need one where ye talk t' people more.

< Would love t' try livin' in another country, an learnin' the local language an customs.

V Would ye be willin' t' live somewhere, where they spoke little or no English?

^ Had a chance to do that once, through college, but my first husband wouldn't go for it.

< I used to be able to read a French magazine, or newpaper article. Don't think I could manage it these days.

V Ever tried to translate a book, magazine, etc. with just a dictionary? :lol:

RAKEHELL-1.jpg

^ I can still sit & read a Spanish children's book out loud although anything longer makes my head hurt & my tongue gets all twisted.

< playing with the speech accent archive is fun! I think I'll talk like I have a senagalees accent tomorrow for fun :lol:

V have a favorite "silly accent"?

"If part of the goods be plundered by a pirate the proprietor or shipmaster is not entitled to any contribution." An introduction to merchandize, Robert Hamilton, 1777

Slightly Obsessed, an 18th Century reenacting blog

^ Ye kiddin', I need a dictionary t' translate Port Royal lately!

^ Me pirate accent has a bit o' an Irish lilt t' it.

< I do learn a lot o' things by doin', an immersion in a culture would certainly be doin'!

V Would ye try a language where the alphabet is different than English?

^ Oh yeah. I mimicked those guys you get telemarketing calls from Calcutta. Had my writer's group in histerics.

^ Thought Greek would be interesting.

< I once started talking in a Spanish accent, and really had a hard time stopping. 2/3 of the kids in my school were Mexican, so I heard that accent all day.

V Ever almost embarrass yourself by talking with an accent?

RAKEHELL-1.jpg

^ yes. At 6 flags, with a fake British accent that convinced a couple of other kids I was really a Brit, until I swore in american doh! :lol:

< and then of course there's my infamous "Ch-ka-go" accent.

V passing that one along...

"If part of the goods be plundered by a pirate the proprietor or shipmaster is not entitled to any contribution." An introduction to merchandize, Robert Hamilton, 1777

^ nope. Can't do it & keep a straight face.

< Plus if I did, I'd have to do it "right" and that cliche pirate one is just *so* wrong in *so* many ways.

V could you spell Cliche without checking the dictionary/spell check?

^ Aye. Although, it's not a word I use that often, an spell checkers are glorious things.

< I hav t' use a dictionary t' check alternative meanin's fer words. Sometimes words hav different meanin's in context.

V Hav a word ye frequently use incorrectly? (But ye spell it right!)

^ Inconceivable!

< Woh, just a little punch drunk there. Better get to sleep soon.

V ever laugh at your own writing more than the people reading it?

^ All the time! I can't understand why the rest of the world doesn't think I'm screamingly funny (especially those poker-up-the-bum Brit folkies who decided I was a mentally ill alcoholic based on my posts). Maybe it's a result of my resistance to emiticons and my insistence on writing in paragraphs (to say nothing of all those piratey references to rum).

< Eaten many seasonal eggs this morning, both hen & bunny delivered. On the accent Q, I recently had someone I'd just met ask me if I were British, as they said they thought they detected a slight accent. I told them no, I was probably just overcompensating for my working-class steeltown upbringing and trying not to sound like a stevedore in polite society.

V When you were a child, did the bunny deliver your eggs conveniently all in one basket, or were you forced to hunt for delicious droppings all over the place?

pirate-jenny-text.jpg

^ Forced to hunt, but around the house. Funny, there would always be a couple of sugar eggs that never got found, until like September - all covered with dust.

< Used to have an Easter egg hunt for the nephews out on our front yard. Even hid big plastic eggs with silver dollars inside for the adults. Was fun, but haven't done it for years.

V Other than kids on a sugar high, what do you get for Easter?

RAKEHELL-1.jpg

^A Faberge egg with a miniature pirate ship inside:

741px-Memory_of_Azov_Egg.jpg

... oh, I wish! No, just lots of chocolate for me & Mr. H. (no kiddies in our house) ... and soft-boiled eggs in bunny eggcups and hot-cross buns for breakfast.

< Thinking it's about time to have a bath & get dressed, even if it is a holiday today.

V Do you have any special Easter/springtime rituals or traditions?

pirate-jenny-text.jpg

^ Yes..Easter is the time to go all feminine...I buy a nice dress, hat, gloves and just close enough to be acceptable shoes..for church..it's the one time you can get away with a hat you could never wear otherwise..except to the triple crown maybe..

< I HAVE TO GET TO THE POST OFFICE GAH!

V What color undies ar ye wearin today? * snicker..*

Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help....

Her reputation was her livelihood.

I'm a pirate, love. By nature and by choice!

My inner voice sometimes has an accent!

My wont? A delicious rip in time...

^ Not wearin' any yet - still in me jammy bottoms!

< Love the Fabrege egg!

V Pass the undie question on! :rolleyes:

RAKEHELL-1.jpg

^ same answer, still in my PJ's

< hum a holiday you say. Does that mean I can sit around & do nothing?

V holidays, preprinted on your calender or have to add them yourself?

^ Don't use printed calendars, only the one on my computer. Jack has the Don Maitz calendar which, I believe, has the holidays printed on it.

< I'm waiting for the post-Easter chocolate sales!

V Were there any unusual Easter traditions when you were growing up?

RHJMap.jpg

/\ Can't think of anything more unusual than coverin' up the true reason fer the holiday :huh:

< Drainin' the fish pond sump fer maintence. Evil smellin' stuff at the bottom.

\/ Any other religions have holidays what be PC altered from their original intent?

PIRATES!  Because ye can't do epic shyte wi' normal people.

^ Pretty much every single one of them.

< Ah, cleaning the fish filters - one of the downsides to haveing koi. The up side is watching a two foot carnival-colored fish do his spring Shamu act - until he hits his head on the metal supports of the small slate bridge. Bong!

V Have any kind of fish as pets?

RAKEHELL-1.jpg