Pirates at Bristol Renaissance Faire!

Cap'n Pete Straw

• Replies 207
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Do you suppose they will let us on the ship when it is completed?

No offense, but that doesn't sound like a very pirate-y attitude.

For the record, NO -- you cannot see any part of the ship from I-94. However, I have not ventured off the highway in my recent travels to get closer and see...

The next time I plan to cruise up that way is to actually go to the Faire. Maybe you can see the ship once you pay the hefty admission fee and get inside the gates. Here's hoping.

04de8cfe.jpg

"He's a Pirate dancer, He dances for money, Any old dollar will do...

"He's a pirate dancer, His dances are funny... 'Cuz he's only got one shoe! Ahhrrr!"

FH1040.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

I"m looking at maybe going the last weekend of July or the second last, depending on my ride and my work.. any chance on us getting together for that? I will probably miss the tall ships fest, but there isn't much help for that, unless we go early on Friday or very late on Monday.. drat. and we would need to have someone guide us in downtown Chigo.

Pirate Lass with sass, brass, a cutlass, an a nice *ss. Capt of the FOOLS GOLD PIRATES

BLAST BREAST CANCER! GET A MAMMOGRAM AND SAVE YOUR TREASURED CHEST:

http://www.myspace.c...iratesthinkpink

http://www.myspace.c...oolsgoldpirates

CAPT OF THE ONLY PYRITE SHIP AFLOAT: THE FOOL'S GOLD- look for us and Captain Merrydeath on facebook!

merrydeathsigsmall.jpg

bump

Pirate Lass with sass, brass, a cutlass, an a nice *ss. Capt of the FOOLS GOLD PIRATES

CAPT OF THE ONLY PYRITE SHIP AFLOAT: THE FOOL'S GOLD- look for us and Captain Merrydeath on facebook!

merrydeathsigsmall.jpg

Working on pirate gear for the remaining members of the crew (that would be the immediate family). Sights are set on Bristol for this next weekend.

04de8cfe.jpg

"He's a pirate dancer, His dances are funny... 'Cuz he's only got one shoe! Ahhrrr!"

FH1040.jpg

Pete, sorry to miss you. I'm able to hitch a ride with a friend of mine, and stay with her. But alas, it will be the last weekend in July, only. It would be wonderful to see you again, and to share a Guinness..

merrydeathsigsmall.jpg

Did the Faire yesterday.

O.

M.

G.

We have not had so much fun in... oh, I don't know, like forever. A great time was certainly had. Pictures to be posted soon.

Yes -- Dreadnought admission in $5. Mike Breza (who serves as Captain of the ship) has set up a mini-museum within the ship, and plans to expand on it as the summer progresses. He did a rather fine job.

There are an awful lot of pirate-theme things throughout the Faire. There is a small pirate ship that kids can climb on in the kid's playground area... and a bunch more. I was actually surprised to see all the buccaneer/nautical themed things.

And a lot of costumed pirates. Did we meet? Let me know if I unintentionally ignored you.

Yes - we were dressed as a small band of pirates. I only had one (small-minded) person criticizing me for dressing in 17th/18th-century garb for a 16th century event. She seemed to have no problem with the people wearing fairy wings or prosthetic cat faces, because that happened in the early half of the ... oh, wait... that NEVER happened.

I ran into so many people who asked me where my hook was! It turned out all these people remembered me from Port Washington! I must have made a complete ass of myself there, to be so recognizeable a month and a half later! One vendor was talking about my vist a week ago -- I had to tell him I had not been at the Faire in 10 years. But he insisted -- as a costume designer -- he recalled my coat in precise detail... I mentioned Port Washington, and the light switched on: he was a vendor there, too. Hmmm... a bigger ass than I thought.

As I said... photos coming soon. Will likely make a return visit later this summer. This is yet TBD.

Merrydeath: No Guinness to be had at the Faire. They do serve Beamish Stout, which I found to be a faire(pun intended) substitute. I recommend it with a plate of the vegetable tempura.

04de8cfe.jpg

FH1040.jpg

I climbed up on the kiddie pirate ship last year at Bristol. I must have had over 30 parnets hand me thier children so we could take a picture. My wife thought this was very entertaining since she refused to wear her faire attire and coaxed me into playing with the kids. I had one little boy with a wooden sword who refused to let a pirate ont he ship and threatened to "kill" me should I attempt to board (which I did anyway much to the cheers of other kids). I must say I admired his pluck for sticking by his words "I'll never be a pirate".

Of course give him 15 years and we'll see if he changes his mind...

Jib, Lady B., Red Bess and All,

Looks like my crew will be at the 'Faire' August 19th, though...I am not sure any of us will go as 1580s pirates.

Next weekend Green Bay offers the Tour of Tall Ships *(yes, Lady B. 'tis the same as the one headed for Chicago, IL).

If any one plans to attend the Saturday of August 19th, please do chime in and let me know....would be grand to me any of you here upon the board!

photo-2975.jpg?__rand=0.71617700+1286403
Member of "The Forsaken"

Went this Sunday, and had a splendid time! Will likely be going again on the 5th :)

I was planning to dress like a pirate again, but after Pete's experience, I think it might be fun to put on fairy wings and a wizard hat, and then prance around the fair belittling people for being "inauthentic". :rolleyes:

I'll be hitting Green Bay on Saturday - see some of you there!

I AM BILGEMUNKY

:huh::lol::huh:

If you do that Bilgemunky... PICTURES!!! I WANT PICTURES!!! :lol:

Not sure if I will ever make it to Bristol this year. And I am not even sure I will make it for the Tall Ships fest. :huh:

Deprived Pirate I be. Everything is too far for this Lady. Damnation take it all t' Hell for living here in th' middle of Dullsville!

I know Toby wasn't around last weekend since he was out in California at ComicCon. Lucky sea dog!

Pictures of the new ship, folks. I'd like to see it ... even if I cannot be there in person.

Tell Mr Breza hello for me.

~Lady B

:lol:

Tempt Fate! an' toss 't all t' Hell!"

"I'm completely innocent of whatever crime I've committed."

The one, the only,... the infamous!

Crosses her fingers and wishes on a star..

so far I can still go this weekend.. I have to pay for more this way, but its still a chance.. I'll be at the Majika booth for some of the time, I think. Look for me in blue and red.

merrydeathsigsmall.jpg

Will try to get pics up later today or perhaps tomorrow... this camera does not hook directly to my computer. Damned technology. I have pics of the ship, and on the ship, and inside the ship, and, if that weren't enough, of Mike Breza on the ship!

I have a zillion anecdotes about the one day at the Faire, but cannot begin to recall or relate them all.

Planned invasion on August 19th, eh? My kids will be back at their mother's home, and I am 376% positive that Mrs. Straw will opt to not accompany me (Ren Faires are totally not her cup of mead)..... but I will mark my calendar. Let's see what I can do -- the weekend is thus far unobligated, and it's only a 90 minute drive for me. I had not been to the Faire in ten years, and worked there 25 years ago -- despite all the modifications, as I walked in, I felt as if I had never left. Long-forgotten memories came rushing back to me... I cannot wait to go again.

- - - - - - - - - - -

Can anyone explain how I dropped over $100 in one day at the Faire and walked out with nothing new? I only had one beer, one plate of food, a bunch of water (some of which was purchased for me). Aside from admission for my kids on some rides and stuff (you MUST try the bungee trampoline thing!), I didn't even purchase anything for them.

04de8cfe.jpg

FH1040.jpg

Going to BRF on JUly 28/29. anyone need a ride from mid-Iowa to there?? my own ride had to bail on me.. Give me a shout out here or on my email. ..

merrydeathsigsmall.jpg

I will post some of my BRF photos here (I have dozens!)... but most of the pictures of the Dreadnought I will post in the separate thread on that subject...

.... except these...

Here is the infamous Cap'n Pete Straw surveying his surroundings (with the Dreadnought in the background)

7-27-2006-215.jpg

And here is William the Bloody, literally surveying his surroundings:

7-27-2006-214.jpg

And young Elizabeth Morgan... well, it appears she, too, is surveying the surroundings...

7-27-2006-221.jpg

And I am proud to present, in a very rare costumed appearance, the Lovely Mrs. Wade:

de8b24d9.jpg

Oh, dear... I really re-sized those pics small. Oh, well, you can see them fine, I guess, and I plan to post a whole bunch...

04de8cfe.jpg

FH1040.jpg

More Fun at the Faire...

They have an awesome game for kids of all ages... a combination trampoline and bungee/pulley system...

7-27-2006-276.jpg

...which catapults you about fifty feet in the air. My daughter is fearless.

7-27-2006-280.jpg

Here she is again trying her balance on Jacob's Ladder (a ride which I ran when I worked there 25 years ago):

7-27-2006-291.jpg

And, speaking of fearless, here she is again tackling the 40' climbing wall. She deliberately paused (without prompting) over halfway up for me to get this photo op. Yes, she defeated the undercut part of the wall, and made it all the way to the top, while other kids were still struggling with their first 10' of the wall.

7-27-2006-307.jpg

My son, meanwhile, had his own idea of fun...

7-27-2006-233.jpg

04de8cfe.jpg

FH1040.jpg

Going back.

I have several conflicting events this weekend, but the only one that does not involve more than a half-day driving is going back to the Bristol Ren Faire.

I let my son choose -- the Faire it is. So, this Saturday, my son and I will again be at the Faire in our Pirate regalia. More pics to come soon...

04de8cfe.jpg

FH1040.jpg

Alas, 24 hours and no one else says they are going tomorrow. Oh, well.

Just in case someone out there is still going tomorrow... we plan on hanging around the East end of the Faire (more or less around the Pig & Whistle Tavern) most of the day. Didn't see ANY shows last time, so we are going to catch as many as we can tomorrow.

04de8cfe.jpg

FH1040.jpg

Pete Pete and Repete.. I'll miss ya by one weekend. I was hoping ta go too but I have to work. Maybe next weekend iffen I can afford it.

I loved the Dreadnaught. Made me feel right at home... all that was missing was the rum!

merrydeathsigsmall.jpg

Alas, 24 hours and no one else says they are going tomorrow. Oh, well.

Just in case someone out there is still going tomorrow... we plan on hanging around the East end of the Faire (more or less around the Pig & Whistle Tavern) most of the day. Didn't see ANY shows last time, so we are going to catch as many as we can tomorrow.

Shame you can't postpone till Aug. 19th... Cheeky, Rateye and several others of the Archangel crew, I believe, will be attending then

"I being shot through the left cheek, the bullet striking away great part of my upper jaw, and several teeth which dropt down the deck where I fell... I was forced to write what I would say to prevent the loss of blood, and because of the pain I suffered by speaking."~ Woodes Rogers

Crewe of the Archangel

http://jcsterlingcptarchang.wix.com/creweofthearchangel#

http://creweofthearchangel.wordpress.com/