What instrument do ye play?

Mad Matt

Lets see now.....

12 string Acoustical---( Martin, Fender)

6 string Acoustical---(Fender)

Banjo(Rogue)

Mandolin( Larson Bros., Chicago -1921}

Resonator (just got it 4 weeks ago)(Rogue)

Hurdy Gurdy (Olympic Musical Instruments---get it this weekend)

Hi to all...ifin ye look you'll see me name as one of the moderators of this here forum...but I think its been...er....2 yrs since got a chance to drop in

darkRose

The Enigmatic Rogue...and may always be<br />

<br />

"I kissed her... once with passion... once with love... and told her good bye"

• Replies 255
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guitar here, a vintage 1978 Ovation acoustic/electric, plus 4-string tenor banjo, 5-string bluegrass banjo, and the new one, a Goldtone 6-string Banjitar.

Oh, can't read a single note of music either... :lol:

Charlie "Doc" Q

Ships Surgeon (& Banjo Picker)

• 2 weeks later...

Well, I can play a violin if the situation demands it, but mostly I caterwaul with my own God given pipes.

-Aedon

Me mum named me Aedon.

Me mates call me Lucky.

Me enemies call me a bastard.

And anyone in a position of authority calls me

"that lucky bastard Aedon."

• 1 month later...
Well, I can play a violin if the situation demands it, but mostly I caterwaul with my own God given pipes.

That makes me think of that old Jack Audbury quote "I've been known to torture a fiddle now and then" :o

Hello fellow fiddler!

Red Maria

The Soul of Indecency

• 5 weeks later...

According to the New Grove Dictionary of Music v.2 pg 128:

"Christian Frederich Ludwig Buschmann is credited with inventing the harmonica. In 1821 he invented a 15 reed case he called an'aura'"

So a harmonica is not GAoP. Sorry B)

Red Maria

The Soul of Indecency

My fiddling has really died out. It's a shame, really. I used to enjoy it, but after a small incident with an irate fellow with a knife, my left index is too funky to play well. The scar is all over the tip and side, and the nerves are slightly screwy now and tender or numb, depending on which side of the scar it is. The vibration of a string just gives me fits.

-Aedon

Me mum named me Aedon.

Me mates call me Lucky.

Me enemies call me a bastard.

And anyone in a position of authority calls me

"that lucky bastard Aedon."

I play the bugle.

I get a charge out of it.

Why am I sharing my opinion? Because I am a special snowflake who has an opinion of such import that it must be shared and because people really care what I think!

I think he meant to type "harmonicas."

Anyhow, I'm adept at guitar, which is really all you need to play folk music. I'm also pretty good at harmonica, just need a better set than these plastic beginners. I play drums alright, so I'll throw that in, too.

With banjo and piano, I know chords and can play the same stuff I can on guitar and more...

And then there's stuff I just kinda mess around with. I had a bodhran, but it broke after someone beat it too hard... I have various odd things: tin whistle, toy accordion, etc.

Well, I think that's pretty good for me being just a kid.

• 3 months later...

Anybody here know anything about violins?

I was able to aquire my late step-grandfather's violin. It has no strings and no horsehair on the bow. It has one of those classic "Nicolaus Amati fecit In Cremona 1670...made in Germany" stamped on the inside but I know nothing else. I think it's safe to say it was not made in 1670 in Cremona by Amati or Stradivari for that matter, but has to be pre-WW2 germany.

SHIP2-1.jpg

Anybody here know anything about violins?

I was able to aquire my late step-grandfather's violin. It has no strings and no horsehair on the bow. It has one of those classic "Nicolaus Amati fecit In Cremona 1670...made in Germany" stamped on the inside but I know nothing else. I think it's safe to say it was not made in 1670 in Cremona by Amati or Stradivari for that matter, but has to be pre-WW2 germany.

Hmm. Fiddles are funny objects. Most likely you have a mid-grade instrument that might be worth the investment in getting it playable again.

If you have the old bridge, thats a big step. Fitting a new bridge is expensive and needs to be done by someone who knows what they are doing - the feet of the bridge need to be in PERFECT fit to the curve of the violin top. If done poorly, the instrument will not sound good and may even crack the top due to uneven pressure of the bridge feet.

It is possible to do it yourself - send me a PM.

Strings - use Supersensitive mediums- good sound, easy to note.

Tail piece - if you got it, I;d add individual string tuners - trying to tune with the wood pegs is always a PIA. If you dont have it, Dr Tomastik tail piece with built in string tuners is the way to go.

Make sure the pegs are well fitted and easy to turn but not sloppy.

Bow hair - bows are arguably the most important part of the set, and it pays to have a good man do the hair. Figure 50-75.00 to get it

re-haired.

It would pay to have a technician check the instrument for correct placement of the sound post too ( hopefully that is still in place inside the fiddle). It contributes greatly to the tone of the instrument.

Pirate music at it's best, from 1650 onwards

newbanner.jpg

The Brigands

Captn Thighbiter, thank you for all the wonderful advice. My only experience with stringed instruments of this kind is my upright double bass, a 1953 Kay, which I have all gut strings set up to play rockabilly and old style country and hillbilly. But the violin does have one fine tuner on the tailpiece, and a decent looking bridge. I will have a pro do the bow hair.

If I can get good enough to play 'Jambalaya' in the violin, Then I'll be happy.

SHIP2-1.jpg

I play the Feadóg, more commonly known as an Irish Tin Whistle. I played cello as a kid, moved on to drums, tampered with bass and guitar...Have a fiddle that hates me due to not picking it up in about a year's time.

celticcross.jpg

What more diversion can a man desire than to sit him down near a warm turf fire; Upon his knee a pretty wench and on the table a jug of punch... Irish Traditional Song

"And when I vest my flashing sword And my hand takes hold in judgement I will take vengeance upon mine enemies And I will repay those who hase me O Lord, raise me to Thy right hand And count me among Thy saints ." Boondock Saints

Damn...remind me to send you copies of Bean's violin books... at least you can start on something...

"I being shot through the left cheek, the bullet striking away great part of my upper jaw, and several teeth which dropt down the deck where I fell... I was forced to write what I would say to prevent the loss of blood, and because of the pain I suffered by speaking."~ Woodes Rogers

Crewe of the Archangel

http://jcsterlingcptarchang.wix.com/creweofthearchangel#

http://creweofthearchangel.wordpress.com/

i am trying to learn to play the fife (I played flute for 8 years but stopped about 15 years ago) Does anyone have any good resources for learning online, or know of a fife instructor in the NYC metro area?

"It is more like I am transitioning from a pirate hobby to the pirate lifestyle"- me

pub_footer.jpg

• 1 month later...

Okay... I had a request to see not only the custom Bodhran but see it in action as well.

Here be the Bodhran (those with you with the proper eye... can you see the water horse on the skin?)

Bodhran1.jpg

And here be it being played at Belmont Shores with m'self and me mates, the FABULOS Doxie Chicks! (that’s m’self behind the pole.)

BelmontSHores5.jpg

BelmontShores4.jpg

Ahhhh... Music!

Well, you may not realize it but your looking at the remains of what was once a very handsome woman!

IronBessSigBWIGT.gif