What instrument do ye play?

Mad Matt

• Replies 255
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Concertina (poorly) and guitar (also poorly). I know concertinas are not period but they play shanties so well =)

Oh no, we LOVE the concertina in our singing group!... it sounds really pleaseing on most all of the hauling shanties. :rolleyes:

Squeeze away woman! ;)

Well, you may not realize it but your looking at the remains of what was once a very handsome woman!

IronBessSigBWIGT.gif

Concertina (poorly) and guitar (also poorly). I know concertinas are not period but they play shanties so well =)

Oh no, we LOVE the concertina in our singing group!... it sounds really pleaseing on most all of the hauling shanties. :lol:

Squeeze away woman! :lol:

I have no idea how people play this thing well. I'm having difficulty with even "Blow the man down". Although I have mastered "Drunken Sailor" and "Taps". LOL but I am trying for more =)

Yaaaaaaar!

[ I'm having difficulty with even "Blow the man down".

Ooh.... I have trouble believing that.... :lol: (Ducking and running like Hell..)

Well, you may not realize it but your looking at the remains of what was once a very handsome woman!

IronBessSigBWIGT.gif

*Grins* Bess is this you and your group??

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hiGFcYsFk0w

Well, that is indeed the DOXIE CHICKS and I do play with them from time to time but not at this event. That wonderful drumming you hear on the vid is Myrna and she ROCKS that Bodhran let me tell you.

You ought to hear our duets! :lol:

IronBessSigBWIGT.gif

• 5 weeks later...

Bein' as I'm a pirate and a caveman, both...

About the only instrument (musical) I can even make an attempt at playing is the Didgeridoo. Seemed to be a natural choice for a flintknapper, and you can make a passable didge on the cheap out of pvc tubing. I need to work on something called circular breathing, though, to extend the duration of playing.

Anyone here heard of Yothu Yindi?

And what's the didge to do wi' pyracy, ye might be asking yeselves? Well, the instrument was featured in the soundtrack of the 1991 Treasure Island movie (music by the Chieftains, Charleton Heston as John Silver)

Damn, thats sharp!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Nell I remember my own fiddle journey some 35 years ago. I had played guitar and bass a while already, but the first time i held a fiddle in my hands i KNEW that I had to play this. ANd proceeded to loose all my friends , as I practiced constantly and couldn't wait to show off my new skills ( very very meagre).

Keep at it. Your ahead of non-musicians already, since you play and hopefully have developed an ear for true notes.

Scales, scales and more scales, arpeggios too. It helps to use a drone string, since you can hear when the note is true.

Get a GOOD bow, its your connection with the instrument.

If your in the Northeast, come to Fiddle Hell next year ( Fiddle Hell is an international fiddle jam session that lasts 3 days - with music from all over the world - just google it).

Good Luck

Pirate music at it's best, from 1650 onwards

newbanner.jpg

The Brigands

My grandfather was an amazing violinist...and had been a conductor in Greece before they came to America... I remember him playing beautifully for hours....its so difficult to play badly... I can hear him in my head... and I have to tell you i generally pick up the guitar again... its far too painful to listen to myself bow in comparison. I'm sure I'll eventually go there. i still have a long way to go on the guitar as far as I'm concerned and I've been playing that for over 10 years now.

RNR2.gif

“PIRACY, n. Commerce without its folly-swaddles, just as God made it.”

Ambrose Bierce

• 1 month later...

Every once in awhile need to revisit this topic...especially now....

My new/old baby arrived this week...1969 Martin D12-20.....

beautiful shape and has opened up so well in 40 years she sounds like a choir when you strum a simple cord....

dR

The Enigmatic Rogue...and may always be<br />

<br />

"I kissed her... once with passion... once with love... and told her good bye"

Nicccceeee, darkRose. Have any pics of that sweet sounding instrument??? I have always readme of owning a Martin of any model. Unfortunately, my wallet lets moths out when I open it. :rolleyes:

Animal

Buccaneer - Services to the highest bidder!!!

Animal,

pic soon....she is a beauty...and yeah my pockets were sort of empty too...but i fopund me a way...... :)

sort of need top find some payin gigs up here in Seattle (Ha) to reline me pockets!

dR

The Enigmatic Rogue...and may always be<br />

<br />

"I kissed her... once with passion... once with love... and told her good bye"

my wife has a sigma from the early 70's when the martin builders went to train the japanese woodworkers, its so sweet! and for only $125.00! I refretted it with jumbos to get even more volume, you cant have a loud enough acoustic at these events! There out there, ya just have to know what to look for.

Edited by Cannibal Chrispy

Illustration courtesy of Patrick Hand, and his Pyrate Comix. To see comic in it's entirety, click below

http://pyracy.com/index.php?showtopic=13374 All rights reserved.

OK... I really don't know much about guitars....

But when I went down to Santa Cruz yesterday, I was talking to my Father.... OK, he can't play guitars very well (and now that he has arthritis in his hands, he can't even check to see if they sound right any more....)

But just for funsies..... has anyone heard about James Patterson guitars? (acoustic)(it use to be Black Mountain Guitar and Dulcimer Works way back in the 70's)

<the book he wrote about how to work and inlay abalone/mother of pearl doesn't count.....>

COOL.... that's my Father....

Back on topic.... I can still play Drunkin' Sailor on me concertina........ :rolleyes:

Are you f#%#&n Kidding me!!!!!! Your dad's guitars are currently Thought of as "HOLY GRAILS" of acoustic guitars, Highly sought after due to the exquisite craftsmanship! I will dig out my blue book later and see what they say. Oh yea and the book "pearl inlay" is regarded as a bible of sorts, as it was on of the first modern books to broach the subject. I have owned a copy since I was a teenager, and it most definitley COUNTS! You...You...crazy pirate you! You continue to amaze! There is an active thread right now in acousticguitarforum.com where an owner of one of you dads guitars raves about the quality and tone of the guitar, and is currently seeking any information on your dad! That blows me away!

I was so excited I forgot to look and see if I was logged in...CHRISPY

Edited by RustyNell

RNR2.gif

“PIRACY, n. Commerce without its folly-swaddles, just as God made it.”

Ambrose Bierce

which leads to my next question, what else is he throwing away while cleaning out the garage? Inlay guys tend to hoard quality materials. I am sure the original pictures from "pearl inlay" would fetch a fair price on ebay! and why aren't your guns pearled up? The Initials on yer blunderbuss would look great in abalone or walrus ivory and be very p.c.

Illustration courtesy of Patrick Hand, and his Pyrate Comix. To see comic in it's entirety, click below

Which leads to todays lesson in irony. A guy hears about "steampunk" from a friend at a pirate festival. He and his wife "a musician" show interest and decide to modify a guitar. The first modification he plans to make utilizes knowledge gathered some 20 yrs. before, from a book written by the father of the friend who told him about "steampunk"!

I know there are more ironic situations, but this one happened here!

Edited by Cannibal Chrispy

Ahoy!!

My darl'n Bodhran be getting a little brother! :rolleyes:

Here he is, still in the throes of his creation (and still a way from being finished)… and my premiere Bodhran, Inis, still seen below

A custom Metloef (a Master Drum maker) a mere 14 inches in diameter and 4 and one half inches deep. Hand tuning, maple wood and a un processed goat skin for a deep, resonating sound.

MetloefCustomBodhran2.jpg

MetloefCustomBodhran1.jpg

Should have it for this years Faire Season! : )

Who’s up for a jig, a reel or a song?? :P

Bodhran1.jpg

Ahhhh... Music!

IronBessSigBWIGT.gif