What instrument do ye play?

Mad Matt

• Replies 255
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I play the bodhran, and rope tension snares, that be what I play! Love ta sing as well I do.

Ooo, post a picture of your Bodhran mate! :lol:

My new one is in the post so they tell me. Should be here after next week.

Well, you may not realize it but your looking at the remains of what was once a very handsome woman!

IronBessSigBWIGT.gif

Ooh - a new toy!

I've been spending more quality time with my uke lately but most of the songs I've been practicing on it have been of the "blue" variety, except for a couple of instrumentals.

(Ahem) Uke and Bodhran go nicely together thank you.... and Ojai is a come'n! :unsure:

Well, you may not realize it but your looking at the remains of what was once a very handsome woman!

IronBessSigBWIGT.gif

I know I have told Nell this, but I play bass. I currently have one accoustic and an Ibanez, with a P&J pickups. It has a skull and crossbones on the body, so it is aptly named Pirate bass.

Other than that I play a Cigarbox guitar, which works like a Diddley Bo

I too have a bodhran! Ye can see it there on my wall (old pic from about 3 years ago, but its the only one I got where ye can see the thing!)

1018691409_l.jpg

I do not, however, have any idea how to play it, alas. So anyone who wants to point in the proper direction would be greatly appreciated.

I also picked up my guitar again, after not playing for several years. Calluses are returning slowly yet painfully. heh

Edited by RedJessi

Here's pics of my Cigarbox guitar for those curious as to how it looks/works

IMG_0001.jpg

A screw bridge and drawn in frets

IMG_0002.jpg

That is the Cyclops eye on the top of the fretboard (Named the Cyclops by the maker)

IMG_0003.jpg

The body and yes there are pick ups so you can plug in and rock out too.

IMG_0008.jpg

And that is me, in case people forgot. lol

I too have a bodhran! Ye can see it there on my wall (old pic from about 3 years ago, but its the only one I got where ye can see the thing!)

1018691409_l.jpg

I do not, however, have any idea how to play it, alas. So anyone who wants to point in the proper direction would be greatly appreciated.

I also picked up my guitar again, after not playing for several years. Calluses are returning slowly yet painfully. heh

There are a few really good books with CD's out there to be had if you want to start up with the basics.

*Absolute Beginners Bodhran Tutor* is one I would recommend

I've been playing since I was a kid and I can tell you.. get a good tipper! Find ine that fits your hand and that is not to heavy for you once you start praciting in earnest. It will make a whole world of differnce. <_<

Then when you have a feel for what you are doing or if you decide you really want to keep at it you can have a few to pick from depending on what you want to play.

Good luck! If I lived closer I'd help ye out m'self ;)

IronBessSigBWIGT.gif

Here's pics of my Cigarbox guitar for those curious as to how it looks/works

IMG_0001.jpg

A screw bridge and drawn in frets

IMG_0002.jpg

That is the Cyclops eye on the top of the fretboard (Named the Cyclops by the maker)

IMG_0003.jpg

The body and yes there are pick ups so you can plug in and rock out too.

IMG_0008.jpg

And that is me, in case people forgot. lol

IT'S HIDEOUS!

The guitar looks cool though :unsure:

• 3 weeks later...

Sweet!

Here be the new TRIM I be adding to the rim o'my new Bodhran... a lovely, high grade jacquard edging to surround and cover the black ribbon against the wood frame that it has now.

When I add the embroidered Celtic Mermaid the drum will be a Pirates delight!

Had to share. <_<

Bodhranedgetrim.jpg

MetloefCustomBodhran1.jpg

IronBessSigBWIGT.gif

Not to fret....

When the whole drum is complete I will post a picture fer sure.

Ordered a Green custom padded case for it as well from Blue Heron.

I mean, me new deary MUST travel in style and be well protected. <_<

How else will it be hanging out with the like of you all at Faires and such! <_<

IronBessSigBWIGT.gif

• 1 month later...

Recently started learnin' a whole ton of new instruments (in addition the guitar, bass (electric & upright), keys, 'n' vox)

-Mandolin

-Jaw Harp

-Accordian

-Didgeridoo

-Trumpet

-Trombone

-French Horn

-Clarinet

-Saxophone

-Flute

-Turntables (Scratchin' and whatnot)

Now how many of these I'm actually GOOD at is another story :rolleyes:

"A Merry Life To Savage Men Who Stand by Freedom's Right,

Fuiling Rum To Arm Our Drive And Raid This Ship In Sight. YARRR!"

-"Voyage" by Verbal Deception

Recently started learnin' a whole ton of new instruments (in addition the guitar, bass (electric & upright), keys, 'n' vox)

-Mandolin

-Jaw Harp

-Accordian

-Didgeridoo

-Trumpet

-Trombone

-French Horn

-Clarinet

-Saxophone

-Flute

-Turntables (Scratchin' and whatnot)

Now how many of these I'm actually GOOD at is another story :huh:

My, my.... you ARE a busy Pirate! B)

IronBessSigBWIGT.gif

• 3 months later...

I play the octave mandolin, penny whistle, bodhran, piano, and a very little guitar....also love to sing sea chantys as well as traditional Celtic songs

My lady yee doth inspire me to list me own musical accoplishments...I play, violin(learning now), guitar, and pennywhistle...im working on making all 3 better befor moving on to mandolin.....eventually

Monsieur René "la Gaffe" Truffaut - Sailor -filibustier - grenadier - Fiddler - free man (for now)

.........I am french, why else would i have this outrageous accent, you silly man!..........You don't frighten me, English sea dogs. Go and boil your bottoms, you sons of a silly person. I blow my nose at you, so-called "Capi-tain" you and all your silly English Pieeer-raghts........

• 4 weeks later...

I'll give ya all three guesses who's trying to learn how to play the trumpet......

Hey... why were so many "modern" instruments invented back in the 1820.s..... concertina, and trumpet... both were figured out within about a 10 year period.... woh.,....

Anyway.... I have about 6 notes memorized (so I can read the music)... and am working on "When the Saints go marching in"

OK... maybe not Pyratical..... but the trumpet is nicely loud......

Still so much to learn..... not pyratical... but it's still fun (and loud)...

I'll give ya all three guesses who's trying to learn how to play the trumpet......

Hey... why were so many "modern" instruments invented back in the 1820.s..... concertina, and trumpet... both were figured out within about a 10 year period.... woh.,....

Anyway.... I have about 6 notes memorized (so I can read the music)... and am working on "When the Saints go marching in"

OK... maybe not Pyratical..... but the trumpet is nicely loud......

Still so much to learn..... not pyratical... but it's still fun (and loud)...

I think that the new instruments were an outgrowth of new manufacturing techniques. "Brass" instruments made from wood go back well into the middle ages but brass tubing suddenly became cheaper allowing for the louder brass instruments to be made. At the same time, precision mass production allowed the valves in brass instruments. The same is true for the reeds in the concertina.

Mark