What instrument do ye play?

Mad Matt

Hi Red Maria! Too bad I'm in LA and you're up in Northern California (that's right, right?), we could start a pirate string quartet :rolleyes:

I looked up the English Dancing Master and the LA public library has a copy (which, of course, is checked out right now). I have a hold on it . . .can't wait to start looking at it.

Thanks for the links. Long Beach isn't too far and that sounds like a fun way to spend an afternoon. Beats football, anyway.

Omigosh you dropped your case?! That's rather funny - I'm glad your instrument (and case) came to no harm! Yeah, instruments really must be hardier than I give them credit for. Today I had the pleasure of meeting a (playable) bass made in 1769!!!

Avast, ye scurvy dog!

• Replies 255
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi Red Maria! Too bad I'm in LA and you're up in Northern California
I thought she was Southern California also.....

Anything below the "bend" in California is the South.... :ph34r: (Yah.... all them non-Californians will laugh 'bout the bendy/twisted part.......but.... heck... we know better..... :ph34r: )

I'm up in the mountains in central California...... still LArnin' how ter play me concertina....... (not-period... but still fun...... :ph34r: )

But I think Red Maria lives close ter ye..........(well closer than Nabraska.....)

Hi Red Maria!  Too bad I'm in LA and you're up in Northern California (that's right, right?), we could start a pirate string quartet  :D

Black Mab

Patrick is right I am in Southern California. I'm in San Marino next to Pasadena. I've been playing only 2 1/2 years so I'm not string quartet material yet. ;)

I looked up the English Dancing Master and the LA public library has a copy (which, of course, is checked out right now).  I have a hold on it . . .can't wait to start looking at it.

Just so you know the edition my teacher has is the 1985 edition edited by Jeremy Barlow published by Farber music. which covers 1651-ca. 1728 which is perfect for GAoP.

Playford's book has been around since the mid-17th century and has he gone through many editions with tunes added and subtracted for the fashion of the time. So be sure the one you get is for the correct time period. There's a 1651 facsimile reprint in refernce where I work but the notation very difficult to read. It doesn't look like modern notation.

Thanks for the links.  Long Beach isn't too far and that sounds like a fun way to spend an afternoon.  Beats football, anyway

I haven't quiet gotten the courage to go and join myself. I don't know enough tunes. OTOH It would be nice just to watch the fiddlers

technique and learn from them. Maybe we could go sometime?

Omigosh you dropped your case?!  That's rather funny - I'm glad your instrument (and case) came to no harm!  Yeah, instruments really must be hardier than I give them credit for.  Today I had the pleasure of meeting a (playable) bass made in 1769!!!

Dropping the case wasn't funny at the time. It was this slow motion can't keep it from happening feeling like you see in the movies. In retrospect it did come off as a comedy sketch. A 1769 bas?! i'm envious! Then again a bass is a lot bigger than I am! :D

Huzzah to my fellow fiddler! :D

Red Maria

The Soul of Indecency

Wait you're in SAN MARINO?!?!?!

I'm in South Pas right off Fair Oaks! That's crazy! I don't know why I thought you were from up north - just got that idea in my mad noggin somehow. That is too funny. :lol:

I played for 6 years, then dropped it entirely when I went to college. I'm just getting back in to it thanks to working around musicians all day(and actually looking for a teacher, so if you have met any that you would like to recommend . . .where did you find yours? Through a school, or . . .? Funny with all the musicians around me that I haven't found one, but having someone I'm supposed to be "managing" teach me is a bit of a conflict of interest, it seems). Pshaw not quartet material yet. Anyone who has the motivation you seem to would have no problem!

Oh yes, we should definitely make the trek to Long Beach some time to hear the fiddlers. It would be great fun.

And sorry, I sort of typed that wrong - I'm sure dropping your case was absolutely horrifying at the time. It's only entertaining in the retelling (and only then because nothing was damaged).

Avast, ye scurvy dog!

Don't worry about thinking my case falling in the drink. I can see the humor now. :lol:

As far a teacher is cincerned how I got mine is an interesting story. When the band I'm in (New Providence) first started our musical director declared that all of us should play a musical instument besides singing and NO TABMORINES! (this rule has since gone by the wayside). Shortly thereafter she brought in a violin she bought but ended up not learning to play do to a deformity on her bow hand.

So she bought it in to see if anyone played or wanted to learn. At first I was apprehensive because of a bad experince when by brother tried to teach me to play when I was 10 and he was 12 (not a good idea!). Since then I was fiddle-phobic. I finally decided it was time to get over the phobia and give it a go. She gave it to me as a loan and if I took to it she'd arrange payments. After rehairing the bow and putting on a new bridge (it's a decent Chinese made fiddle but they all come with crappy bridges.) she gave it to me

Two days after picking up the violin a former co-worker stop by to see our new work space. I remembered she is 2nd violin for the Pasadena Community Orchestra and on the side she and a friend had a duo called Rigel that did Scottish music (They'll be performing at the Seaside Games in October) . So I asked if she knew anyone one who taught and she said that she had begun teaching and had a student (who , later,for work related reasons had to drop-out).

I have been taking lessons for 2 1/2 years now every Tuesday evening. She's in Pasadena up in the Hastings Ranch area. If you PM or e-mail me I'll give you her number.

Red Maria

The Soul of Indecency

You know how New York has boroughs? Yeah, we have "neighborhoods" . . .whoever planned LA, in their infinite wisdom, decided to make it as spread-out as possible, and then connect the whole thing with a freeways (okay, it wasn't really planned that way but that's what happened anyhow)

Eagle Rock, Silverlake, West Hollywood, Westwood, Brentwood, Hollywood (got wood?), El Sereno . . .all these are neighborhoods. And that doesn't even scratch the surface of how many there are. Brilliant planning, yeah?

Anyway, nice to know I hagve so many (in)famous pirates in my very near vicinity! Yay! :lol:

Avast, ye scurvy dog!

I guess I now officially classify as a mandolin player (mondolinist?). My first official gig (with Will Fiddle on violin) is in October for education day at the Trail of History event. Hopefully the kids won't know enough to know when I screw up :lol:

"If part of the goods be plundered by a pirate the proprietor or shipmaster is not entitled to any contribution." An introduction to merchandize, Robert Hamilton, 1777

Slightly Obsessed, an 18th Century reenacting blog

I started playing guitar and singing so girls would talk to me, but I also switced deodorants around the same time, so I can't really say if it worked or not..Actually, no, it didn't work at all really, but I got some good pics out of the whole deal!

keyclub1.jpg

filthy17ud.jpg

"Without caffine, I'd have no personality at all"

• 1 month later...
Look..... It's me playing my concertina at Ojai.......

.................OjaiConcertina.jpg

<The Tales of the Seven Seas Forum is dowm, so I can't give proper credit to who took the picture.......>

Hey Pat, hows the squeezebox coming along? Are you doing melodies or accompanyment for singing songs? I am all about the melody!

Our new CD , "Pirate Scum' has a couple of concertina tunes on it!

Heres me, squeezin' it up at the Ct Renn Faire this year

al_concertina.JPG

Pirate music at it's best, from 1650 onwards

newbanner.jpg

The Brigands

• 1 month later...

Anyone coming out to L.O.R.E. (March 15th and 16th I believe...) this year out in Corona, CA?

In the classes on drumming, I've been asked to teach the beginers Bodhran session.

Just wondering if I might see some familier faces :lol:

Well, you may not realize it but your looking at the remains of what was once a very handsome woman!

IronBessSigBWIGT.gif