What instrument do ye play?

Mad Matt

• Replies 255
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I discovered that my normally shy cat LOVES the playing and rubs up against me or the concertina and sings along. "Mee-yooo!"

My mother's late dog used to enjoy singing that song as my father played his Northumbrian pipes.

... the dangdest thing is that the words seem to fit any tune :lol:

Foxe

"With this Fore-Staff he fansies he does Wonders, when, God knows, it amounts to no more but only to solve that simple Question, Where are we? Which every chi'd in London can tell you." - Ned Ward The Wooden World Dissected, 1707

ETFox.co.uk

• 1 month later...
Just wonderin' what instruments are played by those here and how'd you get started?

Well, I'm not very good yet, but I'm learning to play the bowed psaltery (in the same family as the dulcimer.)

Mad Kestrel

Privateer #9, IFoRP

Captain of the Thanos (Fairhaven, CRF)

But why is the rum gone? - Capt Jack Sparrow

ive got a performance today... pretty nervous. have to play AND sing Lithium... in front of... i dont know...50? maybe 100 ppl?

pretty damn difficult song, Lithium. I really respect that girl from evanescence, for bringing the song wo well. :)

im back on piano lessons, the performance is some sort of intro... to newbies or ex-players... V_V

ph34r.gifPirattitude

banner.jpg

The rose came alive,

Coloured deeply red,

The boy just arrived,

And as my heart, the rose wasn't dead.

• 1 month later...
CapnJake, I am learnin concertina too. Got a G/D Stagi 20 button for x-mas. I love it, its so different from fiddle, my main instrument. How are you coming along? any tips or tricks you want to share?

Sorry it's been so long to reply - lost track of this thread! Lots on the plate with the shows and the Pirate Festival and all.

My trick to the concertina is - leaving it in the case while I think about practicing with it . . . I've been a HORRIBLE student, but with so many other things going on I had to set something aside, sad to say.

How is it coming for you?

Dean Calin

(Cap'n Jake)

Bounding Main

www.boundingmain.com

Hmmm. In size order, ascending:

-- jaw harp

-- sopranino recorder

-- bones

-- penny whistle

-- soprano recorder

-- alto recorder

-- tenor recorder

-- doumbek

-- Baritone

-- Tuba

Anybody need a tuba aboard ship? Makes a hell of a fog horn...

CapnJake, I am learnin concertina too. Got a G/D Stagi 20 button for x-mas. I love it, its so different from fiddle, my main instrument. How are you coming along? any tips or tricks you want to share?

Sorry it's been so long to reply - lost track of this thread! Lots on the plate with the shows and the Pirate Festival and all.

My trick to the concertina is - leaving it in the case while I think about practicing with it . . . I've been a HORRIBLE student, but with so many other things going on I had to set something aside, sad to say.

How is it coming for you?

Hey Jake, me lad! Its coming along well for me, I have about 30 tunes down pat and will be doing them as street performance music this weekend at the Baltimore Pirate Invasion. Hoping to bring it out at night for the pub crawl too. I spends me 1 hour a day on it , religiously, and it does pay off! I found that at first I was using way too much air, you can make it sing with relativiely small bellows thrusts. That allows me to play the hornpipes and reels at tempo and do the turns much cleaner.

Good Luck!

Pirate music at it's best, from 1650 onwards

newbanner.jpg

The Brigands

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

i play clarinet and saxophone, and sing primaaarily

and i also tinker around with a violin, piano, a guitar, and a celtic lap harp

after the move, when i've got more money free, and there are more opportunities for music study, i'm really hoping to get into the others, particularly the harp

and i'm also planning on taking up the flute

i'm a huge fan of celtic music so i'd really like to get into those instruments as well.

61jctci.jpg

• 1 month later...

I currently 'play'

Guitar (Acoustic and Electric)

Didgeridoo

Alto Sax (Here and There)

I'd like to take up violin lessons in the near future.

"I'm no fencing master, but I had some schoolin' in the art of cold steel"

A bowed psaltery and I just got back to my Bodhran after it had been taking a forced vacation with my cousin for a few years... nice to have it home (Although I cannot attest to the fact that my dog feels the same).

Most of my beaters went missing though it seems.... :unsure:

Well, you may not realize it but your looking at the remains of what was once a very handsome woman!

IronBessSigBWIGT.gif

• 1 month later...

If lookin' at my music notes counts.......

Hey... I can play

Drunkin Sailor (got that one memeorized)

Pirates of The Carribean (have some of it memorized)

Spanish Ladies (sorta)

All fer me Grog

Down among th' Dead Men (sorta)

Th' Devils Son (sorta)

And (almost) Billy Bones

... on my not period, but lotsa fun concertina......... B)

Classical violin. My teacher was horrid at teaching fiddle (which I hear is supposed to be fun but I just dreaded it) . . . and then I moved to California and stopped practicing . . . anyone have (or know where to find) any good period fiddle/violin music and/or of any ensemble groups?! 'cause, that would be so cool to do! I should pick it up again. Does anyone bring their instruments to events? If so, how do you protect them from heat/damp? How did seamen do it, I wonder?

Avast, ye scurvy dog!

Classical violin. My teacher was horrid at teaching fiddle (which I hear is supposed to be fun but I just dreaded it) . . . and then I moved to California and stopped practicing . . . anyone have (or know where to find) any good period fiddle/violin music and/or of any ensemble groups?! 'cause, that would be so cool to do! I should pick it up again. Does anyone bring their instruments to events? If so, how do you protect them from heat/damp? How did seamen do it, I wonder?

Black Mab

I don't know how period the music is or where you live in California but the Auld Dubliner Pub in Long Beach has an Irish music session every Sunday afternoon.

http://www.aulddubliner.com/logo.html

It would be a good place to get familiar with the sound or tradtional music and maybe even have some fun! As I said in another topic Playford's The English Dancing Master is an excellent source for period music.

I can think of some good fiddle CD like Bonney Rideout (Scottish) or Kevin Burke (Irish) . There is also a Forum for fiddlers called Fiddle Fork.

http://www.fiddlefork.com/index.php

There are all sorts of fiddlers on there and they are more than willing to give advice. There maybe even some Maritime fiddlers there who can answer your questions on fiddles and the sea. I only fiddle once on a sail (on the Royaliste) and had no problems. Well except dropping my fiddle case into the harbor!

I was boarding the Royaliste and it sliped out of my hand. I shrieked and loked down and it was floating! I grabbed it and handed it on board. My was fine as was the case. Like I said in the other topic fragments of a fiddle case were found on Henry VIII flagship the Mary Rose. Maybe they floated too. :rolleyes:

I hope this helps

Red Maria

The Soul of Indecency