You in yar garb.

Pirate Petee

I finally deliver on picts for my shirt and sleeveless jacket.

What makes me proud is that the sleeveless jacket is made from less than a yard total of a scrap remnant from 96 District Storehouse. Due to all the issues with the fabric, holes and a long add cut (that happened to be the entire length of the shoulder cut-out), I was only charged $3 for the material. The scraps were tiny and only from the neck, shoulders, and side darts. The front and rear are the FULL width of the scrap I got.

It is also my FIRST attempt at button holes . . . I'm happy with how they turned out.

The tricorn is intentionally as simple and minimalist as possible. I rounded off the edge and sewed up the sides, no edging on purpose.

So, here goes:

temp086.jpg

temp087.jpg

temp088.jpg

The seven buttons and shape of the upper part of the shoulder opening are based directly upon several of the Penicuik illustrations from the 1745 Jacobite Rebellion. I am also making this kit for Jacobite reenacting.

I have found that they allow freer shoulder movement without moving the body at high upward arm extension.

Edit: looking at the back (which I can't see), I see that I need a "dart" back there and to split the bottom to hang better.

Edited by Tartan Jack

-John "Tartan Jack" Wages, of South Carolina

178804A2-CB54-4706-8CD9-7B8196F1CBD4.jpeg

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nice job, mister. I have to say, I am impressed with your bargain skills. =P

Cook and Seamstress to the Half Moon Marauders

Lady Brower's Treasures, Clothing and other treasures

Hell Hath No Fury like the Wrath of a Woman... No that's it. She doesn't need a reason.

www.myspace.com/halfmoonmarauders

www.myspace.com/faerienoodle

Better late then never (unless it be t' me own funeral). I don't get much time of late so I will consolidate:

Cheeky Actress - Astounding gown! While I do not think they had belly dancers around in GAoP, least not in th' Caribbean nor th' colonies, I would certainly be as entranced with a fine lass in such a fine gown as I have been of late with a dozen belly dancing troupes!

Corsairs Boutique - Mighty Fine indeed, and aye, I will 'ignore the bodice fit' as ye ask (just soon as I photo shop this dancer's mid-drift in....AH, got it!!)

Tartan Jack - Me hat off t' ye sire! I still can not get them button holes right!! Bloody 'ell too as I want soon t' start on me new bag and need t' get them stitches straight!

I just got me new breeches in, but it seems I will need t' take them to th' tailor; for some reason I have a 44" waist but when I order breeches in th' size for 42"~46" they are always about 4"+ too large....?? With the back gusset tight all the way (which should fit a 42" waist) they fall right down...just like me last pair? Good thing I found a local tailor that, while he gives me strange looks, gives me good work for a cheap price (only $10 to take in me last pair)

I was however a bit surprised to discuss some of the details about this newest pair in comparison to me last couple pair. Concerning the gusset I was told that they could find no evidence of a back piece of cloth (sewn over where the 'V' is cut) where Mid-1600 to very Early-1700 designs are concerned. She told me they could not find a pattern that way until after 1730. Also this new pair (designed for 1650~1720 was my request) it is Much fuller then those I have gotten from Jastown or elsewhere that cater mainly to the civil war groups. The waist band is cut much thinner too and they said they fly is NOT covered the way Black Bear and Jas does. But she does fine work, all hand sewn on outter seams and only machined on parts not seen...not nearly as intricate as me shirt Captain Sterling did but with that finery I needed to step up the rest.

Now I just need to decide on a cravat with or without lace....?

OH, and this weekend I met a pirate who had a FINE coat, I asked him what it be made of and he told me "I don't know, is is the coat worn in the opening ball scene of Cutthroat Island" - no joke he said, the very same coat! He said he has been doing pirates for many years now. So I put that CD in last night to see - IT IS! The very same coat that the actor (whatshisname) wears when he jumps over the stair case and gets caught! - Nice Coat! Much detail!!

Here is a photo of him (one on the Right):

gallery_6451_101_35357.jpg

and here is a new one of me with me new Dutch Cutlass (Windlass brand) visiting the Privateers of the Black Sail; aye, that be Captain Oberon's seat I am in, I dare him t' do someth'n about it too!!! HA!

gallery_6451_101_305069.jpg

oh, and the conchos used on me sword belt are by RenFairPirate, the ones he made from Spanish coin. If anyone see's him then tell him I have a leather worker interested in buying some from him...I dropped him a couple messages but have not heard back as of yet...

Edited by MadL

~All skill be in vain if an angel pisses down th' barrel o' yer flintlock!

So keep yer cutlass sharp, 'n keep her close!

Thanks for comments on mine and I just hope to be "on par" with the other "Cap't Twill" types . . .

MadL, looks good.

I just got me new breeches in, but it seems I will need t' take them to th' tailor; for some reason I have a 44" waist but when I order breeches in th' size for 42"~46" they are always about 4"+ too large....?? With the back gusset tight all the way (which should fit a 42" waist) they fall right down...just like me last pair? Good thing I found a local tailor that, while he gives me strange looks, gives me good work for a cheap price (only $10 to take in me last pair)

Just a thought.

As I have dealt with real measurements compared to pant sizes, due to making my kilts . . .

Pant sizes are often 4 inches larger than what they say for where they ride. So, 36" jeans actually have a 40" waist. It could be that where you get your pants are using "normal" pants sizes as their sizing basis, rather than actual measurements.

For folks making "to order" custom clothing, such is a question: to advertise based on common used sizes or actual measurements?

I have started to ask.

-John "Tartan Jack" Wages, of South Carolina

178804A2-CB54-4706-8CD9-7B8196F1CBD4.jpeg

since i got bit with one size discrepency, i went way overboard, cut to the largest size, temporarily sewed it together, examined the cut differences in the pattern for different sizes, and trimmed accordingly...

i know!! sounds like a pain, but it worked out fairly well for me...

OH, and this weekend I met a pirate who had a FINE coat, I asked him what it be made of and he told me "I don't know, is is the coat worn in the opening ball scene of Cutthroat Island" - no joke he said, the very same coat! He said he has been doing pirates for many years now. So I put that CD in last night to see - IT IS! The very same coat that the actor (whatshisname) wears when he jumps over the stair case and gets caught! - Nice Coat! Much detail!!

Here is a photo of him (one on the Right):

gallery_6451_101_35357.jpg

I also am fortunate enough to have one of those fancy coats from 'Cutthroat Island'. I got it direct from the prop house that had all that stuff before it went on eBay. I also got the shirt to go with it with matching lace. I got it for an obscenely low price..... Would you believe $10.00 ??? Anyhow, it is beautiful with incredibly fine workmanship. I got some other great stuff at the same time, but the fancy coat was the highlight.

>>>>> Cascabel

Tartan Jack- Looking vveerryy good mate! That was quite the bargain too! See you this week!

MadL- I swear iv never had such fitting problems as with breeches. but your looking quite good my friend...i want your sshhoooeeess lol

Monsieur René Truffaut - Sailor - grenadier - flibustier - free man (for now)

.........I am french, why else would i have this outrageous accent, you silly man!..........You don't frighten me, English sea dogs. Go and boil your bottoms, you sons of a silly person. I blow my nose at you, so-called "Capi-tain" you and all your silly English Pieeer-raghts........

• 2 weeks later...

Well, I've a'ready posted these in the new members section o' the Crow's Nest, but I suppose it shoulda gone here.

Here's me on dooty at the Whydah Pirate Museum just before welcomin' a tour group o' foreigners who prolly didn't understand a damned word I said anyhow.

These are the best shots I have and I'm not a bit pleased with them. I'm gettin new photos soon.

JimWhydah8.jpg

Picture012-6.jpgPicture005-6.jpg

Picture001-6.jpg

Now personally I love this one. I thought I looked mean in this picture, but me husband says I look like I was scared, like I saw Davey Jones er somethin'! What do you think?

JimWhydah7.jpg

Edited by PistolOcannon

GIVE ME LIBERTY OR GIVE ME DEATH! - Oh, I'm sorry - did you think I meant MY death?

I finally deliver on picts for my shirt and sleeveless jacket.

So, here goes:

temp086.jpg

Tartan Jack, Yer off to a fine start there!

and Madl, love the red weskit...

Edited by Capt. Sterling

"I being shot through the left cheek, the bullet striking away great part of my upper jaw, and several teeth which dropt down the deck where I fell... I was forced to write what I would say to prevent the loss of blood, and because of the pain I suffered by speaking."~ Woodes Rogers

Crewe of the Archangel

http://jcsterlingcptarchang.wix.com/creweofthearchangel#

http://creweofthearchangel.wordpress.com/

• 3 weeks later...

GunDeckPirates.jpg

OdiCapnSynHelmsm.jpg

These are post production shots fer the upcoming movie shot on the HMS SURPRISE

Azeroth Prime..

Edited by oderlesseye

http://www.myspace.com/oderlesseye
http://www.facebook....esseye?ref=name
Noquarter2copy.jpg
Hangin at Execution dock awaits. May yer Life be a long and joyous adventure in gettin there!
As he was about to face the gallows there, the pirate is said to have tossed a sheaf of papers into the crowd, taunting his audience with these final words:

"My treasure to he who can understand."

FANtastic shots Oderlesseye!! HUZZA! 'n another HUZZA t' th' FX photo designer!!

• 2 weeks later...

FANtastic shots Oderlesseye!! HUZZA! 'n another HUZZA t' th' FX photo designer!!

Aye! Those are some good shots. Oderless you should contact the powers that be and have them drop a line to the magazine. I am sure they can help with promotions.

-1st Mate of Pirates Magazine

-Bladesmith/Owner of That Works Studio

http://youtube.com/thatworks

thatworks.shop

Wow, great pictures, Eyes. Did you do the artwork? Hmmm, maybe I should let you photo-shop me! :rolleyes:

...schooners, islands, and maroons

and buccaneers and buried gold...

RAKEHELL-1.jpg

You can do everything right, strictly according to procedure, on the ocean, and it'll still kill you. But if you're a good navigator, a least you'll know where you were when you died.......From The Ship Killer by Justin Scott.

"Well, that's just maddeningly unhelpful."....Captain Jack Sparrow

Found in the Ruins — Unique Jewelry

Found in the Ruins — Personal Blog

Lookin' good, Tiberius. :blink: Shall look forward t' seein' the updated piccies in due time.

Ditto, Scurvy. Might good Blackbeard ye be.

LMAO! Oderlesseye... ye gives me some inspiration. Granted, twisted it be.. but inspiration nonetheless. Azeroth Prime... I likes th' name. Perhaps will use that (iffen ye don't mind) as the name of one of the Primes from Transformers! LOL, twisted sick I be, I know.

Lovin' th' piccies. Too fabulous.

~Lady B

Tempt Fate! an' toss 't all t' Hell!"

"I'm completely innocent of whatever crime I've committed."

The one, the only,... the infamous!

LMAO! Oderlesseye... ye gives me some inspiration. Granted, twisted it be.. but inspiration nonetheless. Azeroth Prime... I likes th' name. Perhaps will use that (iffen ye don't mind) as the name of one of the Primes from Transformers! LOL, twisted sick I be, I know.

Lovin' th' piccies. Too fabulous

LadyBarbossa... Azeroth Prime is the name of the Movie. Here is the link

for the promotional web site if you are curious..

http://www.starchasermovie.com/azeroth_prime.htm

Now as to twisted..Eye did fer fun..make myself look like my mural in the cove. I will post a side by side comparison pic in the next few days. My mural is now a hysterical reference..LoL..No I did not mean historical..Though the pattern of the coat is 1750's.

Edited by oderlesseye

Noquarter2copy.jpg
Hangin at Execution dock awaits. May yer Life be a long and joyous adventure in gettin there!
As he was about to face the gallows there, the pirate is said to have tossed a sheaf of papers into the crowd, taunting his audience with these final words:

I Caught A Couple British Guppies I Did!!

gallery_6451_101_213104.jpg

...but Fish 'n Game say they be 'too small' 'n made me toss'em back ;)

oh bloody 'ell, I forgots t' ask'em how they tie such nice cravats before they got away as well; mine never come out so neat 'n tidy ;)

Speaking of British Guppies....

This is my 1750's Captains coat with Mariners cuffs.

We are going to add the gold trim around the neck tonight.

IMG_3171.jpg

IMG_3178.jpg

IMG_3185.jpg

A comparison shot to the mural

IMG_3159.jpg

Edited by oderlesseye

Noquarter2copy.jpg