You in yar garb.

Pirate Petee

Thanks for the compliment on the gear though, we were standing in a row of probably over 50 armed men for that shot... Probably the largest firing line I have ever stood in!

It was a decent sized line for our relatively obscure time period. For me, it was my first time being in a line that included pikemen. What fun!

My Home on the Web

The Pirate Brethren Gallery

Dreams are the glue that holds reality together.

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

NICE job Michael and Black John!

Thanks!

I'll keep a weather eye open for pics of us doing the one firing demo we did before the torrential rains put the kibosh on things.

Hey Black John, I notice you've given a go at the ribbon around the neck, tied to a pistol application. Would you be so kind to describe/illustrate your take on it? I would like to try it.

Funny you should mention that, because I actually did spend some time at the event discussing it with a friend. I've tried it a couple different ways now, and honestly, I'm still not sure what my take on it is. I've tried the ribbons around the neck with the pistols hanging loosely at my side. In one respect, I really like that rig. However, any running action causes the pistols to flop about. That in and of itself wasn't so bad, but I didn't care for the fact that the pistols tended to ding each other. Some people may like dinged pistols. I don't. Thus, the on ribbons thrust into a sash or belt seemed like another option. I can say I generally like that arrangement. They don't go anywhere by themselves if you are running. You know exactly where they are when you go to grab one. And you can drop one and... hope it doesn't smack you in the crotch when you next try running.

So yeah, not a perfect system.

The third pistol is on a belt hook. I give belt hooks the Pirate Brethren Seal of Approval.

:D

My Home on the Web

yeah, but that is cool... No one is ever excited to see me....

Oh c'mon now, I think CJ and I were both excited to meet you. And... we developed a secret handshake for our War of the Spanish Succession group! That's saying something!

:D:D

My Home on the Web

In July, I'll get the joy of meeting BOTH Bagley AND Blackjohn!

Also, ya'll will get the joy of meeting me for the first time, if anyone really wants to . . .

- It isn't like I'm a pirate celebrity, like Bagley, John, or even Mission . . .

Between now and then, I'm getting my kit together, so I'll be presentable at Lockhouse.

The shirt is done and one navy sleeveless jacket (made from a heavy wool remnant bought at 96 District Storehouse for $4) is done (first buttonholes).

I will make a second sleeveless jacket in a more "airy" wool, for the summer heat shortly.

Also, I plan to trousers and slops too. More buttonholes to come . . .

I'll throw on a belted plaid and post up picts of the shirt and navy sleeveless jacket tonight, or at least that is my intent.

Edited by Tartan Jack

-John "Tartan Jack" Wages, of South Carolina

178804A2-CB54-4706-8CD9-7B8196F1CBD4.jpeg

Oh how weird! I clicked on delete the one and it deleted both!

Doh!

Sorry about that TJ!

Hit the WRONG post!

I'll edit that one to the original.

(I wish I still remembered what I said . . . )

Again, my apologies.

The gist of it was, you are coming to the lockhouse, where you are going to open a can of Tartan whoopass on msb and me. And if that Mission fellow even thinks about coming, he better think again.

:D:D

No, wait. That wasn't it. It was something more along the lines of you look forward to meeting us at the Lockhouse, &c.

My Home on the Web

Uhm "pirate celebrity"? :D ... yeah, i would have a very hard time of thinking of myself as anything close to that... Maybe prolific event attender, but celebrity? :D

Tartan Jack, I have an extra pistol I can loan to you (it's a hand canon though, see above picture), or I am certain that one of the Brethren would be more than happy to loan you a boom stick.

Mission, if you are interested in heading out East to Le Lockhouse, I'd more than happily carpool with you, I'm sure the wife would support that plan as well!

I had actually met CJ once before, but it's been almost a year since I have seen him, so it was almost as exciting as meeting him again for the first time. But secret handshake... Man, how did I miss that!?!?! :D

Michael_banner.jpg

Uhm "pirate celebrity"? :D ... yeah, i would have a very hard time of thinking of myself as anything close to that... Maybe prolific event attender, but celebrity? :D

Celebrity? :D I'm more like a loquacious board noise maker...

Alas, Lockhouse isn't on the menu for me. Que sera, sera.

Edited by Raphael Misson

“We either make ourselves miserable or we make ourselves strong. The amount of work is the same.” –Carlos Casteneda

"Man is free at the moment he wishes to be." — Voltaire

gallery_1929_23_24448.jpg

Speaking of which . . . how many incarnations of Mission are on this board?

Five. But not many people are aware of the fifth. (I plead the fifth on the fifth.)

See, it's like this...whenever an ID gets to 1000 posts, he becomes a really cool skull. Then my work there is done and I must move on to create a new skull icon ID. All except for the fifth one.

Edited by Raphael Misson

“We either make ourselves miserable or we make ourselves strong. The amount of work is the same.” –Carlos Casteneda

At least they are all you on different computers/locations . . .

You didn't make multiple IDs. Have one fight another on your board, have another give a warning or 3, then have your main ID some in as peacemaker, to the congrats of other members of the board . . .

(I've seen THAT done!)

Back in '98 or '97 I was on an unmoderated board and I used multiple IDs to sort of, kind of, moderate the chaos. (It's a little hard to explain. I didn't get in fights with myself, I used the various IDs to subtly undermine trolls and troublemakers by building consensus against them. I guess I did such a good job that when a group invited me to join a private board, they were shocked to learn that I had six different IDs. The forum creator insisted I post on the private board using my multiple personas...that was weird. :D:D )

However, I had so much fun creating the multiple IDs that I continued to do that through four more forums - including three where I was a moderator.

Here, it's for the skull, though. No since hiding when the goal is clear and well stated.

See, Stynky upset the balance of the space/time continuum and my IDs that had lovingly been built up to 1000 posts got jerked back to less than 1000. So I spent the last week re-building them. And now we're back to one that I left off with at a certain point.

But we're OT. Here's a pic of me in my garb that I happen to like from the 5/09 Santa Maria gig (taken with M.A. d'Dogge's camera):

Mission%20Resting%20Santa%20Maria%200509.jpg

Edited by Raphael Misson

Back in '98 or '97 I was on an unmoderated board and I used multiple IDs to sort of, kind of, moderate the chaos. (It's a little hard to explain. I didn't get in fights with myself, I used the various IDs to subtly undermine trolls and troublemakers by building consensus against them. I guess I did such a good job that when a group invited me to join a private board, they were shocked to learn that I had six different IDs. The forum creator insisted I post on the private board using my multiple personas...that was weird. :D:D )

However, I had so much fun creating the multiple IDs that I continued to do that through four more forums - including three where I was a moderator.

Here, it's for the skull, though. No since hiding when the goal is clear and well stated.

See, Stynky upset the balance of the space/time continuum and my IDs that had lovingly been built up to 1000 posts got jerked back to less than 1000. So I spent the last week re-building them. And now we're back to one that I left off with at a certain point.

But we're OT. Here's a pic of me in my garb that I happen to like from the 5/09 Santa Maria gig (taken with M.A. d'Dogge's camera):

And he has the gall to call me a loquacious board noise maker... :D

But I do so love that picture of you Mission! You really do take great period photos when we can get you into frame!

Michael_banner.jpg

And he has the gall to call me a loquacious board noise maker... :D

But I do so love that picture of you Mission! You really do take great period photos when we can get you into frame!

Not you, me! I'm the loquacious board noise maker!

(I guess it does come off that way, thought, doesn't it? I should have quoted Tartan Jack's post, not yours. Sorry 'bout that!)

Here's another pic from the same event that I like:

Mission%20Santa%20Maria%200509.jpg

I believe Silas took that one. Now that's enough shots of the loquacious board noise maker...

Michael, ye an' BlackJohn look fabulous. M' compliments, gents.

~Lady B

Tempt Fate! an' toss 't all t' Hell!"

"I'm completely innocent of whatever crime I've committed."

The one, the only,... the infamous!

Me new late 1600 to early 1700 waistcoat by Quartermaster General

The wonderful shirt (what th' wind-not th' rum ruined me pose and now it don't show well) by Captain Sterling

Me new 'one o' a kind' Sword Belt and leather scabbard (posed on wrong side due t' much rum) commissioned by Barbossa Leather

IMG_1306.jpg

Here be a much more better shot o' th' belt:

IMG_1311.jpg

Detail of leather work on back:

IMG_1310.jpg

Oh! I almost forgot (still drained from two days o' NorCal) - th' wonderful coin conchos on th' belt be from Fair Pirate here at th' pub as well!

Edited by MadL

~All skill be in vain if an angel pisses down th' barrel o' yer flintlock!

So keep yer cutlass sharp, 'n keep her close!

Thank'ee much. Th' rope work is all me own using Stockholm tarred marline from American Rope & Tar except for the dagger scabbard what be un-tarred hemp from R&W Rope then I tarred it me own self after wrapping with genuine Stockholm.....smells purdy!

Still working on th' arrangement however; th' dagger can go either side but then I have t' fiddle with me pouch (needed fer me coin & camera - a magic box what takes pictures) as well as me ship keys ye know, also me eat'n knife as I no longer have boots t' tuck it int'....all reason fer two belts, I keep me pouch, protection charms (eye candy) and utilities on under-belt and killing equipment on sword belt; waist coat has two fine pockets just large enough fer two fine flasks o' rum ;p

~All skill be in vain if an angel pisses down th' barrel o' yer flintlock!

So keep yer cutlass sharp, 'n keep her close!