You in yar garb.

Pirate Petee

Admittedly we are not too welcoming to the nylon crowd ....

this is very true here. my garb gets rave reviews at pirate events and ren faires, yet here it is looked down upon. i recomend to anyone that if you have garb not made from silk,linen, or wool just dont even show it here. thats what ive learned.its a good site to get ideas and info from.

In the very short time that I've been lurking here, I'm gonna observe that bit of advice. If anything, it's an incentive for me to either come correct or don't come at all. I was ready to post pics from this past Halloween of me and the family but....nuh-uh.

tho....for the life of me...i'm not sure why??....i admittantly lean towa's the "wool and linen" variety....i dont believe this forum should be for "only the period"...which i find to be wholly outnumbereed yet somehow retain the monarchy??.....i for one thuroghly enjoy seeing EVERYONES garb...fact/fantasy/or other....there is room on this bench for all endevours....

so ...please....all are welcomed...and encouraged to post pics of garb... :P

I was ready to post pics from this past Halloween of me and the family but....nuh-uh.

You should post your pictures.

Admittedly we are not too welcoming to the nylon crowd ....

this is very true here. my garb gets rave reviews at pirate events and ren faires, yet here it is looked down upon. i recomend to anyone that if you have garb not made from silk,linen, or wool just dont even show it here. thats what ive learned.its a good site to get ideas and info from.

In the very short time that I've been lurking here, I'm gonna observe that bit of advice. If anything, it's an incentive for me to either come correct or don't come at all. I was ready to post pics from this past Halloween of me and the family but....nuh-uh.

Hey.... this is "You in yar garb"...... not "You in yar "100% Period" garb.".....

This is where ye post pictures of what ye wear when dressed as a Pyrate......

Thank you all for the kind words. I just got the impression/vibe that around here pyrating was serious business. Well, that and not wanting to look like a tool was on my mind as I s-l-o-w-l-y stick my toe in the water.

63ypeo.jpg

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I just got the impression/vibe that around here pyrating was serious business.

Our collective hobby is dressing up in funny clothes. I don't know if it is wise for people who have that hobby to take themselves seriously.

:P

that may just be my new bumper sticker... ;)

th_SunsetSpyGlass_edited-1.jpg

Why does she always look so energetic and at ease brandishing weapons...? Don't forget her birthday ever.

Actually today is her birthday so I am taking the day off for her, not that Ive really had any work in the past couple months anyways.

Edited by vintagesailor
id.jpg

Thank you all for the kind words. I just got the impression/vibe that around here pyrating was serious business. Well, that and not wanting to look like a tool was on my mind as I s-l-o-w-l-y stick my toe in the water.

63ypeo.jpg

Wow. That picture makes you look seven feet tall. Did people take a step back when you went trick-or-treating?

image.jpeg.6e5f24495b9d06c08a6a4e051c2bcc99.jpeg

63ypeo.jpg

Wow. That picture makes you look seven feet tall. Did people take a step back when you went trick-or-treating?

We stopped traffic while walking around in neighborhoods. Just the little bit of effort I made really made a difference, because just about other house we hit I got asked a buncha questions. Plus girls loooove to pose with a pirate. In this the wife was not pleased with the added attention.

Fringe benefit of being a pyrate I suppose? B)

Plus girls loooove to pose with a pirate.

Well yeah... yer point? :rolleyes:

Chicks dig scars also.... but that is in another thread.......... :rolleyes:

(One of the linen,wool and Hemp Pyrates...just havin' fun with the whole thing.........)

63ypeo.jpg

We stopped traffic while walking around in neighborhoods. Just the little bit of effort I made really made a difference, because just about other house we hit I got asked a buncha questions. Plus girls loooove to pose with a pirate. In this the wife was not pleased with the added attention.

Fringe benefit of being a pyrate I suppose? :rolleyes:

Welcome aboard! And I am glad you posted your photos ~ you guys look great, and shouldn't feel awkward. This is an expensive hobby if you go the authentic route, and not everyone is looking for the historical aspect. I have found that putting out the extra effort makes a big difference on Halloween ~ people enjoy seeing the creativity!

MDtrademarkFinal-1.jpg

Oooh, shiny!

Boozin2009.jpg?t=1257804784

This here be Mad Capn Bob, bloody well boozin' again. Bein' a pirate can be thirsty work, d'ye see, wi' all that plunderin', pillagin', lootin', and a-swashin' o' buckles. And that belayin' pin is a genuine Sutler John Belayin' Pin...why, the gore just washes off neat and clean.

Sorry about the glasses...can't do much about that. My prescription is pretty heavy duty, and the notion of deliberately putting something into me eyes (contacts) makes me cringe. Maybe when I get a sizable deal more money togehter, I might see if its even possible to get lenses of my strength inserted into period frames.

Edited by Capn Bob

Damn, thats sharp!

Arrh, Blackjohn, Vikings be pirates too! I know...been playing one at faires fer 15 years. Ye looks wonnerful deadly, man! blink.gifdry.gif

Vintage, yer lady looks real good-like... 'specially holdin' that very familiar lookin' bussy.... rolleyes.gif

Dangerous Dick (!!! blink.giflaugh.gif Oh, what me wife would do wif that name...) Welcome tae th' pub! Yer family looks good, an' any pirates is welcome here, matey! As another newby on th' site, I likes tae see more droppin' th' hook hereabouts.

Now, if only I could get th' hang o' these computery thangs, an' post me own pics here....grumblegrumbletypetypetypeoratsdeleteKECKER. biggrin.gif

Edited by Badger

Very nice and indeed very tall and the little one is so cute! Welcome to the Pub!

63ypeo.jpg

Fringe benefit of being a pyrate I suppose? ;)

Welcome aboard! And I am glad you posted your photos ~ you guys look great, and shouldn't feel awkward. This is an expensive hobby if you go the authentic route, and not everyone is looking for the historical aspect. I have found that putting out the extra effort makes a big difference on Halloween ~ people enjoy seeing the creativity!

Arrh, Blackjohn, Vikings be pirates too! I know...been playing one at faires fer 15 years. Ye looks wonnerful deadly, man! blink.gifdry.gif

Vintage, yer lady looks real good-like... 'specially holdin' that very familiar lookin' bussy.... ;)

Dangerous Dick (!!! blink.gif;) Oh, what me wife would do wif that name...) Welcome tae th' pub! Yer family looks good, an' any pirates is welcome here, matey! As another newby on th' site, I likes tae see more droppin' th' hook hereabouts.

Now, if only I could get th' hang o' these computery thangs, an' post me own pics here....grumblegrumbletypetypetypeoratsdeleteKECKER. biggrin.gif

Thank you Syren. My little piranha loved her pyrate gear. She really takes after her pa--loud & belligerent :P

halloween2009368.jpg

Ahoy Mary Diamond, what you say is very true. I think after POTC, very few people outside the hobby is looking to see what's authentic . Everyone smiles when a well dressed pyrate enters the room. I got away with so much tomfoolery on the 31'st that it seemed people were almost expecting it. Now this is LIVING!

Ahoy Badger, I gave the name some thought before joining the crew. So many good, creative usernames were already taken and me being a mischievous fellow... ;)

Boozin2009.jpg?t=1257804784

This here be Mad Capn Bob, bloody well boozin' again. Bein' a pirate can be thirsty work, d'ye see, wi' all that plunderin', pillagin', lootin', and a-swashin' o' buckles. And that belayin' pin is a genuine Sutler John Belayin' Pin...why, the gore just washes off neat and clean.

Sorry about the glasses...can't do much about that. My prescription is pretty heavy duty, and the notion of deliberately putting something into me eyes (contacts) makes me cringe. Maybe when I get a sizable deal more money togehter, I might see if its even possible to get lenses of my strength inserted into period frames.

Capn Bob that picture is great. I'm looking forward to this hobby more & more when I see everyone's pictures. I feel what you say about the glasses. Every time someone pointed a camera at me Halloween night I had to stop and rip off the specs. Annoying but it really helps to make the picture. I'm just gonna bite the bullet and just drop the $$$ and get some retro specs cuz a half blind pirate is full of suck.

Anyone point me to any info on retro glasses from that time period?

*Grins* She is quite a doll..Daddy will have his hands full so it's good yer a pirate!

As for being Loud..Well all Lasses have to be heard and belligerent? Perhaps you have that confused with she has you wrapped about her wee finger lol!

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v519/Dara286/trident01-11.png

If you got a dream chase it, cause a dream won't chase you back...(Cody Johnson Till you Can't)

Black Syren Logo small.png

Most people don't think there were any verified period 'glasses' as we think of them (with ear pieces). I did find a picture of some that claimed to be from near the end of period in a book by Elizabeth Bennion. But if you need glasses to see...you need glasses to see and should do whatever you have to do balance PC with good sense. (I always wear my insulin pump under my waistcoat and that sure ain't period.)

For more on period eye-ware, check out this thread.

Mycroft: "My brother has the brain of a scientist or a philosopher, yet he elects to be a detective. What might we deduce about his heart?"

John: "I don't know."

Mycroft: "Neither do I. But initially he wanted to be a pirate."

Mission_banner5.JPG

Most people don't think there were any verified period 'glasses' as we think of them (with ear pieces). I did find a picture of some that claimed to be from near the end of period in a book by Elizabeth Bennion. But if you need glasses to see...you need glasses to see and should do whatever you have to do balance PC with good sense. (I always wear my insulin pump under my waistcoat and that sure ain't period.)

For more on period eye-ware, check out this thread.

Whoa the information in that thread was extremely useful. Thank you, thank you, thank you. I've gotten a few ideas already.

Nice job, I like the powder horn..where did you get it?

Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help....

Her reputation was her livelihood.

I'm a pirate, love. By nature and by choice!

My inner voice sometimes has an accent!

My wont? A delicious rip in time...