Port Washington Pirate Festival 2007

Capt.Trade.Wind

Johnny Tar - you live in Kohler, WI!? My word, Man...you and I are only 25 mins from each other's door step. I live in the HolyLand just west of there! We're neighbor's and didn't even know it!

Oh, so nice to have those in the "Fools" and "Archangel" so close!

Look forward to meeting you at Port Washington.....

Right now, I'm working on my 'street /hawker' impression. Not all of us can be pyrates, some of us have to interact with pyrates when they come to town. Just thinking out loud here. Any one else looking to go slumming with me? :P

Cheeky

who just realized what she just said :unsure:

photo-2975.jpg?__rand=0.71617700+1286403
Member of "The Forsaken"

• Replies 355
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'll be at Port Washington in my average, 1690's glory. Sorry, can't call it slumming, for some of us a successful hawker is as fancy as we get.

"If part of the goods be plundered by a pirate the proprietor or shipmaster is not entitled to any contribution." An introduction to merchandize, Robert Hamilton, 1777

Slightly Obsessed, an 18th Century reenacting blog

I'll be at Port Washington in my average, 1690's glory. Sorry, can't call it slumming, for some of us a successful hawker is as fancy as we get.

Hi Chole,

Rats and I have this 'sight-gag' idea going for Port Washington and hope that we can pull it off.

The image of us two in "lower class duds" will make us stand out when we do our street theater/improve bit with the public.

What will you be hawking?

Member of "The Forsaken"

I'm currently researching both "Cherries in The Rise" and "Fhane Ripe Strawburries". For the cherries I have to figure out how they tied the darned things to the sticks. For the Strawberries I have to find lots of pottle's. At least June is a few months in the future & I've got time to decide.

"If part of the goods be plundered by a pirate the proprietor or shipmaster is not entitled to any contribution." An introduction to merchandize, Robert Hamilton, 1777

Slightly Obsessed, an 18th Century reenacting blog

I'm currently researching both "Cherries in The Rise" and "Fhane Ripe Strawburries". For the cherries I have to figure out how they tied the darned things to the sticks. For the Strawberries I have to find lots of pottle's. At least June is a few months in the future & I've got time to decide.

Oh strawberries would work! (LOVE 'EM)!

I think WI strawberries are good for picking around mid-June. I know that Cherries are good about then too!

I'm trying to think of something to hawk that no one in their right mind would want to purchase...lots of possibilities there! Again, looking for the comical side via street proformances!

Member of "The Forsaken"

Hey if you all are looking for help on that Fri I all ready have it scheduled off.

ABSOLUTELY!

If you want to be an official volunteer the website has a volunteer page with a pdf sign up form. But if you just want to come down early and help with whatever setup we're doing...come on down. Last year we got started around noon on Friday, if memory serves (fog of rum).

This year we've talked about having a "green room" type of tent for volunteers and reenactors to check in and have a place to put their boots up for a bit. As soon as the Physical Plan is done, we'll know for sure. I'll keep you posted on that.

Thanks!

Hmmm... a pondering thought here... not just at the Bash, but in the tent in general throughout the Fest... have lasses dressed as wenches serving drinks. The "beer tent" as a tavern with slight decor like a tavern.

I wouldn't mind attempting an hour or 2 as a wench. And, if coordinated right... pull off a stunt or skit in the tavern. A wench fight or duel where the duel can be done in a roped off area.

If they have the roped off area for the fencing again, that would be cool if we are able to use it.

Otherwise, rope off an area for us to duel in either with swords or pistols.

Cheeky... we could always do the opposite of the PotC ride at Disney World/Land.... instead of the women being auctioned off... we ladies capture men and auction them off to be slaves for an hour or day. Or maybe just do a skit with Toby (as Jack Sparrow) as we auction him off, but goes wrong and he makes a rather daring if not comical escape. That is IF Toby shows up.

I LOVE to conjure up ideas. IE for something of this calibur that's not just historical but also fantasy.... don't have to use Pirates of the Caribbean movies, but how's about Treasure Island... have some kids sign up to do a Treasure Island hunt.... follow ol' Long John Silver in search for Flint's gold just as they did in Treasure Island once they got the map and left the stockade.

I think someone was wanting to set up a table or 2 for the Pirates Constructable Card Game to be played which is just AWESOME!!!

There should be an area for playing games especially for the kids. I know that my nephew will do some playing Morgan's Revenge with some of the folks/spectators. The kid is good!

Construct a ship... some pre-printed paper, glue and scissors and the kids can build their own pirate ship. Crayons and they can color the ship which ever colors they want.

Notice... I like to focus upon the kids. :) They are our next generation of pirates.

Course... we can't forget about the parents and young adults either. Playing games with the pre-teens, young adults, parents, grandparents... Having them dress up in pirate attire... or even get the adults and young adults involved in being pirates for a certain amount of time.

Oh, how fun it is to conjure up ideas! :)

~Lady B

:unsure:

Tempt Fate! an' toss 't all t' Hell!"

"I'm completely innocent of whatever crime I've committed."

The one, the only,... the infamous!

Way to go Lady B!

The Archanagel group is highly family oriented. We have done a ton of work with kids and worked Kids events sponsored by State Museums in IL, WI and IA...ask the Captain himself! He's done his share at participating at various other events...that's for sure!

I do like the idea that Cap'n Pete came up with last year...making the kids privateers/pyrates! A treasure hunt is always entertaining and a handfull of townspeople/pyrates can assist in helping them find the treasure.

More brainstorming the better!

Member of "The Forsaken"

Cheeky... we could always do the opposite of the PotC ride at Disney World/Land.... instead of the women being auctioned off... we ladies capture men and auction them off to be slaves for an hour or day. Or maybe just do a skit with Toby (as Jack Sparrow) as we auction him off, but goes wrong and he makes a rather daring if not comical escape. That is IF Toby shows up.

Oi!!! Now, now, must be the ladies but to have Jack tucked in amongst them might give the crowd a chuckle!

"I being shot through the left cheek, the bullet striking away great part of my upper jaw, and several teeth which dropt down the deck where I fell... I was forced to write what I would say to prevent the loss of blood, and because of the pain I suffered by speaking."~ Woodes Rogers

Crewe of the Archangel

http://jcsterlingcptarchang.wix.com/creweofthearchangel#

http://creweofthearchangel.wordpress.com/

No better Jack Sparrow that I know of at current close enough to us...

JackLadyBpistol.jpg

Toby hits it to a T.

But tis a good idea there, too, Sterling. :)

Always up for some brainstorming. :lol:

In Iowa, too? :rolleyes:

Where at?

The local Targets here have pinatas in the shape of Treasure chests. I'd grab a couple if I knew for sure we'd use them. But I haven't a clue when we'd use it.

~Lady B

:lol:

In Iowa, too? :rolleyes:

Where at?

Ushers Ferry Village, in Cedar Rapids, IA - Lady B. Civil War and Wild West!

Aaahhh..... Gotcha. :)

Tis a pity that no more Civ War events at Ushers Ferry. :lol:

But... I'll be keeping m' eyes upon th' next wild west event this summer.

Speakin' of Ushers Ferry.... anyone up for Halloween at Ushers Ferry this year?

OK.. now back to our regularly schedule chat about Port Wash. :D

~Lady B

:lol:

have lasses dressed as wenches serving drinks. The "beer tent" as a tavern with slight decor like a tavern.

Exactly my thoughts...

I'm having a hard time finding wenches who have the proper costuming, so if you're interested Lady B, I would LOVE to have you as a wench.

(Now that didn't sound quite right, did it?) ;-) Anyone else who might be interested (ahem Merrydeath) please consider it, I can promise it will be a BLAST!

I've been working my arse off on set deco for the Buccaneer Bar. I'm really having a hard time finding whiskey barrels, so far I have ONE. LOL But I'd love to have at least half a dozen we could use as tables and general decoration.

We do have a good number of fishnets, and my personal collection includes some handmade wrought iron candleabras. I'm also working on a huge handmade pirate flag, the ubiquitous Jack Rackham...but it's the one on all the festival lit.

Also on my list are old oriental style floor rugs to scatter about. I'm keeping my eyes peeled on Ebay and Craislist for ones that are already stained or have holes.

I really want to give the Bar an intimate, dark, wharfside pub feel...but with a 30 x 60 WHITE tent...it's a challenge. So any other ideas are appreciated.

Thanks for your ideas Lady B, and I love the idea of the auction...if you want to run with that I'll work it into the planned festivities during the Bash.

As for the children's area. I've been in talks with the owner of the local HobbyTown. He's really in love with the idea and we're working on getting him to set up a demo area where kids can play some of the various pirate games (like Quest for Davy Jones Gold and Dread Pirate) or even work on making easy model ships. We're also looking at a dig for treasure sandbox for the wee little pirates in training.

For the Buccaneer Bar, we'll be setting up Pirates Dice and mancala...maybe Shut-The-Box if Hobbytown can get us one.

Oh, and I'll give you a teaser...we have something really cool along the lines of the popular wooden dubloons that will give the kids another way to interact with the pirates. The wooden dubloons will continue as they were SO popular last year! We'll have a seperate booth for their redemption.

have lasses dressed as wenches serving drinks. The "beer tent" as a tavern with slight decor like a tavern. 

Exactly my thoughts...

I'm having a hard time finding wenches who have the proper costuming, so if you're interested Lady B, I would LOVE to have you as a wench.

(Now that didn't sound quite right, did it?) ;-)

;););)

I'll have to think about that for a while now, Sally! I've promised m'self to only one Gent. But if he takes a very wild fancy to me as a wench... then I'm sorry, m'dear, it just won't work out! :)

Well, on the serious side... it's been a few years... but I've done some serving in my younger days. I'll polish up that wench outfit of mine.

Most welcome on the ideas.

I love conjuring ideas. Putting them into effect is not my forte.

Well... I'm sure we can go on with the auction even if Toby doesn't show up. Wil the auction be with real money to raise funds for some benefit? Or with fake period coinage... just for a skit only?

I know when I don't have a "shift" at the Fool's Gold establishment, I'll be walking around or available for something else.

I agree with the wooden doubloons. Those went over VERY well. :)

~Lady B

;)

I've been working my arse off on set deco for the Buccaneer Bar. I'm really having a hard time finding whiskey barrels, so far I have ONE. LOL But I'd love to have at least half a dozen we could use as tables and general decoration.

We do have a good number of fishnets, and my personal collection includes some handmade wrought iron candleabras. I'm also working on a huge handmade pirate flag, the ubiquitous Jack Rackham...but it's the one on all the festival lit.

Also on my list are old oriental style floor rugs to scatter about. I'm keeping my eyes peeled on Ebay and Craislist for ones that are already stained or have holes.

I really want to give the Bar an intimate, dark, wharfside pub feel...but with a 30 x 60 WHITE tent...it's a challenge. So any other ideas are appreciated.

Thanks for your ideas Lady B, and I love the idea of the auction...if you want to run with that I'll work it into the planned festivities during the Bash.

As for the children's area. I've been in talks with the owner of the local HobbyTown. He's really in love with the idea and we're working on getting him to set up a demo area where kids can play some of the various pirate games (like Quest for Davy Jones Gold and Dread Pirate) or even work on making easy model ships. We're also looking at a dig for treasure sandbox for the wee little pirates in training.

For the Buccaneer Bar, we'll be setting up Pirates Dice and mancala...maybe Shut-The-Box if Hobbytown can get us one.

Oh, and I'll give you a teaser...we have something really cool along the lines of the popular wooden dubloons that will give the kids another way to interact with the pirates. The wooden dubloons will continue as they were SO popular last year! We'll have a seperate booth for their redemption.

:D Hey Sally, I had a few thoughts on your bar decor ~

Walls could be draped with burlap sacking (available in huge rolls for landscape contractors) - not period, but rustic.

A raid to gather weathered planking and pier moorings (old barns, piers, boatyards, the local municipal forestry dept (for dead tree logs - i.e. fake moorings)), would provide vertical interest against the walls, over the burlap. Alternatively, railroad ties from the local home improvement can be roped together in 3's to create small moorings. Chunks of aged stone are nice, but harder to move.

I don't think potted plants were bar fashion back then, but they always add a nice vertical touch - perhaps rented palms at the entrance?

Spring is coming up - check with your local garden centers ASAP for bulb boxes (wooden slatted boxes) they might be throwing away. Easily aged with stain in a pressurized garden sprayer - drape with a bit of fish net, add a doo dad on top (something non-breakable, non-valuable, that can be affixed so as not to walk away with patrons - such as coils of rope or sea shells), and voila! a vignette.

Don't forget flags, banners, and such for color.

Placed strategically at the entrance, around the bar proper, and a few in the interior, these kind of groupings add a lot of character for a 6-8' wide x 8' high area (each), without the obligation to cover the entire space. Because they are grouped, they make more of an impact.

If anyone has a great velvet captains chair, a vignette can be made around that, with additioal detail, like your rugs, brass tray, potted palm, etc. Great for photos or skits.

Please, PLEASE tell me you guys are recycling at this event. :D

:D

MDtrademarkFinal-1.jpg

Oooh, shiny!

Excellent ideas Mary...thanks!

I do the thrift store crawl at least once a week looking for "stuff". Specifically, the captains chair you mentioned.

The burlap is a great idea, I'm already talking to a landscape contractor about providing us with sand and stones to use in the dig for treasure sandbox...I can ask about the burlap.

The other problem I'm having with the tent is not being able to affix anything to the walls. Flags and banners are easy, I can hang stuff with rope.

I just had an idea...how cool would it be to hang banners representing the various crews that will be there. Kind of like how medieval banquets have the various crests hanging from the ceiling... If Fool's Gold or any of the other crews have their own flags that would be very cool to add, and of course you would get them back at the end of the festival. Let me know what you all think.

Chris - does the GSM have a flag/crest?

Please, PLEASE tell me you guys are recycling at this event.

I would think so, but that's one area I haven't been involved in - so I can't say for sure whats happening with the garbage. (Insert landlubber joke here.)

Keep the ideas coming people, I'm taking notes!

ALSO - Pirate Festival will be holding a rummage sale this weekend (2/15-2/18) in conjuction with Maxwell St. Day in downtown Port. All proceeds to benefit the festival. See the website for more details.

The other problem I'm having with the tent is not being able to affix anything to the walls. Flags and banners are easy, I can hang stuff with rope.

Ah, yes, as I helped decorate my sisters' wedding tent, I am aware of the limitations on "hanging". The great thing is the burlap and flags, banners can easily be strung up to the main crossbeam/pole, as they are so light. The other stuff is just propped and stacked up, laying around.

Keep in mind - you must check with your FIRE MARSHALL! All this stuff, plus the booze, is uber flammable. He may ask for an additional exit.

I have a spare palm tree from her event - I could be co-erced into renting it (renting: just because it is a hassle to bring and was expensive) should you decide to go that route.

Love the pirate crewe flags idea - would really work well! If they are not inclined to give their own, repros of their (or indeed any flag) could be mocked up on cotton canvas with latex paint, and used again for next year ~

Not sure, probably not, were there Wanted posters back then? Wouldn't that be a hoot! XXX rogue character (attending) could be "wanted", to be turned in by Children, but he could buy them off with doubloons! :D The motivated kid who actually coerced him to the bar to turn him in could receive special commendation! :D

MDtrademarkFinal-1.jpg

Oooh, shiny!

Not sure, probably not, were there Wanted posters back then? Wouldn't that be a hoot!

too funny! I actually had the idea of doing a marketing campaign (pre-festival) of wanted posters. I wanted to get black and white or sepia toned shots of the major pirate characters (invasion actors, plus other notables) and put them up all over town. How eye-catching would that be! :D

The problem when I brought it up was financial, I'll bring it up again and see what the other Kim says. There's always next year, if not. I know working in the fireworks wasn't cheap.

We have lots of great ideas, but going into only our 3rd year our budget isn't able to fulfill all our wishes. Yet. :D So, I'll have to pass on the offer of the palm tree. Thanks, though. I'll probably just be dragging my own plants down as I have about 4-5 palms in my house that should work.

The local Targets here have pinatas in the shape of Treasure chests. I'd grab a couple if I knew for sure we'd use them. But I haven't a clue when we'd use it.

I started a tradition at local events where my pirate group stays over. I fill a pinata (usually that treasure chest one) with those miniature bottles of rum and chocolates. It's become mighty popular!

So if you plan on staying after hours to party, it makes for a great party favor.

RHJMap.jpg

I'm really having a hard time finding whiskey barrels, so far I have ONE. LOL But I'd love to have at least half a dozen we could use as tables and general decoration.

http://www.kentuckybarrels.com/wholebarrels.html

"I being shot through the left cheek, the bullet striking away great part of my upper jaw, and several teeth which dropt down the deck where I fell... I was forced to write what I would say to prevent the loss of blood, and because of the pain I suffered by speaking."~ Woodes Rogers

Crewe of the Archangel

If Fool's Gold or any of the other crews have their own flags that would be very cool to add, and of course you would get them back at the end of the festival. Let me know what you all think.

Chris - does the GSM have a flag/crest?

What size?

Crewe of the Archangel

I've looked at that barrel site, unfortunately the shipping is as much as the barrels themselves... Thanks, though.

I just got an email back from a supplier who is interested in helping us out at cost. Hopefully that will pan out.

As for the banners/flags - whatever you got! Or, were you thinking of making one?

As for the banners/flags - whatever you got! Or, were you thinking of making one?

Oh we have a huge one in the works but for your use, running up a smaller one wouldn't be a problem... just wondering what you would think would be most doable for what you have planned...

Crewe of the Archangel

just wondering what you would think would be most doable for what you have planned...

What I was thinking of was running banners down the center cross beam of the tent. Last year we had about 1 dozen Jack Rackhams hanging vertically from it. (They were all, I believe, 3x5's.) I'd rather have all the different crew banners hanging there. We do have room for bigger sizes, depending on how and where we hang them.

I think if all the crew banners were of a somewhat uniform size, that would work well.

I'm just finishing up my giant, handsewn Rackham. It's 10' x 5' and I'm running the eyelets across the top so it can hang horizontally. It will probably end up behind the stage.

Does anyone that was there in 06 have a photo of the inside of the beer tent? I don't have an inside shot. That may help.

Also, Cpn Jake...do you think you could contact some of the other groups we already have under contract and see if they have a crew banner or flag of some kind? The more we have, the better.

Thanks for your input, guys.