The Pirate Hunter's Smarter Brother!

Inigo Montoya

Nate n Red Cat had worked up a bit o an appetite earlier an were now makin sumthin ta fill their bellies when the Cat asked pointed question. "Ya wanna know a bit more about me do ye? Wall. . . . " Nate took th offered bottle an had a swig. "Guess that depends on wot yer wantin ta know, exactly. I been a-sailin most o me life, usually on a fine ship, sometime not, but I makes th best o it." Nate went back ta stirrin wot he'd put in his pot an waited fer th Red Cat ta ask a bit more. Stoppin a second he shot her a side-long glance. "I get ta ask wot about you too fer wot ya wanna know bout me, aye luv?" Red Cat raised an eyebrow an Nate went back ta cookin with a wee grin on his face.

~Black Nate~

Brenpen185.jpg

A ship in a puddle is better than no ship at all

Dear Saint Brendan, to mention your name is to recall much travelling.

It was in relation to voyages that you emerged as a popular Saint.

The Irish became great travelers thus spreading their faith everywhere.

Protect not only mariners but also all those who go down to the sea in ships. Amen.

• Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Red Cat glanced casually up at th peak o' th' galley an grinned. "Mr. Durant ..It'll cost far more'n ye may have n' a lifetime fer that sort o' information..."

She walked to th side o' th galley stove an peeked in Nate's ketle. Takin a gingerly sniff she didn't let on how good it smelled.

"Still an all...wot ye got in tha pot jeeees... may loose a few articles..." she met his eye wit a twinkle o' mischief in hers, turnin her nose up an leanin against th' doorframe. Th' smile came once agin.."if it be good o' course.."

Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help....

Her reputation was her livelihood.

I'm a pirate, love. By nature and by choice!

My inner voice sometimes has an accent!

My wont? A delicious rip in time...

Nate put a look o mock surprise and mildly hurt expression on his face. "Wot?! Ye tink it won't be good? Why, ol' Nate's hurt by ye tinkin wot he made ain't good. Had ta fend fer mself fer many year. I ain't no fancy fru-fru cook but I make a tasty bergoo. A course I'll be happy ta share wit ye luv, share n share alike." Nate stepped close ta the Cat so he might check on his cookin. Bein so close Nate spoke quietly. "Aye. . . . Share n share alike. Wot yer wantin ta know bout ol' Nate, ye curious Cat ye."

~Black Nate~

Brenpen185.jpg

Protect not only mariners but also all those who go down to the sea in ships. Amen.

We were set t' lower the barrel again, an the sharks were showin' renewed interest in our endeavors.

"Mister Dillard, I don't want a man in the water who has so much as a scratch, on them!" I said. He nodded, an went t' inspect the lads that would be takin' the plunge.

The barrel would be closer t' the wreck, an the recovery buckets were t' be lowered. Jonesy was spreadin' more o' the only shark repellant we had left. "I hope that's enough," I muttered.

"Smithe, make sure every man has a knife, an bring up some o' those gaffs from below," I shouted. "Do ye hav anymore o' those Spanish lances?" I asked. He smiled, knuckled his brow, an descended in t' the hold.

I stood at the larboard rail, drumming my fingers on the wood out of sheer boredom. The Spaniards weren't doing anything but watch us, and Nate and the Cat were standing off as well, and appeared to be drunk as lords. Jacky, fully occupied with the recovery of the gold, was busy with barrels, gaffs, spears, and God-all.

All the Rakehell was doing was practicing changing course, back and forth, back and forth. Round the Relentless, then back and forth, back and forth. A part of me wanted to accost the Spaniards and see what they were up to. But I couldn't afford another hole in the hull if they decided I'd gotten a bit too close.

"Ma'am?" Jimmy tapped me on the shoulder.

In an irritable mood, I snapped, "What?"

He pointed to the south. "Uh, there's another ship comin' in."

I held up the glass and brought the new ship into view. She was a brig, like the Relentless, and flying no colors.

"You know, Jimmy, if anyone else shows up, we'll have the makings of a bloody fleet. Got more boats circling this treasure than sharks. Alert the gunners that we've got more company. And get me within shouting distance of the Relentless."

...schooners, islands, and maroons

and buccaneers and buried gold...

RAKEHELL-1.jpg

You can do everything right, strictly according to procedure, on the ocean, and it'll still kill you. But if you're a good navigator, a least you'll know where you were when you died.......From The Ship Killer by Justin Scott.

"Well, that's just maddeningly unhelpful."....Captain Jack Sparrow

Found in the Ruins — Unique Jewelry

Found in the Ruins — Personal Blog

With a splash, the starboard anchor struck the surface of the water with enough force to send heavy spray onto the deck. Phonse jumped as Roberto merely looked to the bow. "Below, Tomas." The Spaniard turned to the voice and breathed out slowly. "So why are we here and they there," Tomas repeated gruffly. "Gold they may find, but not without loss," stated the Captain slowly. "Sharks?" questioned Tomas. "Aye Tomas. Send your men over the rail." Tomas called to his men, "despojar a alguien de algo, to the waist." The captain told Tomas he would be pleased with his find.

He hurried above as Roberto and Phonse were in their breeches. He tied a long line of rope to their waist. Roberto looked over the rail and plunged into the clear water. Phonse climbed over the rail and lowered himself slowly into the water. The water was strangely calm of fishes of all sorts. Even the local turtle populace was nowhere to be seen. Tomas tied of the end of the lines to the rail. He called to the captain to lower their ship's dinghy. The captain replied it had been done, but Tomas did not ever see the craft move. Looking over the stern, the dinghy bobbed behind the ship as if it had been there all along. Tomas pulled the dinghy toward the larboard rail where he had tied off Phonse and Roberto. He lowered himself into the small boat and tied off Phonse and Roberto to the stern of the dinghy. The two men remained on the surface until the Spaniard was seated in the craft. Tomas cupped his hands to his mouth, "¡te toca a ti!" Both men in the water inhaled deeply and disappeared underwater.

"For art to exist, for any sort of aesthetic activity to exist, a certain physiological precondition is indispensable: intoxication."

-Friedrich Nietzsche

0000banner-accommodation.png

Dillard had gathered the lads, that would be divin' on the wreck, wit' the cap'n.

I pointed t' the water, an said, "Ye've all seen that we hav company. Mostly they be reef sharks. They'll bump an bite ye, if ye let em. But keep yer wits 'bout ye, an watch each others backs, an ye'll be just fine."

I started t' hand out the knifes, an gaffs. "These will keep the little biters, at bay," I said, as I was passin' out the gaffs.

"So who's goin' t' bring back the most treasure?" I said, wit' a smile.

Apparently Africa was just as bored as I had been, for instead of a gentle change of tack, he heeled the Rakehell over on her elbow, throwing half of us to our knees as she came around.

Once I had my balance back, I glared at him. "What the bloody hell was that all about?"

He just shrugged. "All dis back and for, got me wishin' for a bit mo' action." Then he grinned. "Besides, I could tell you was bored, so I shake things up jus a little." He patted the wheel. "Old girl was bored too, I think. Needed some fun."

I grinned back at him. "Well, that's good to know. For a minute there, I was afraid you were tying to pitch me overboard to distract the sharks."

Africa laughed. "Sharks not eat you anyways. Too sour. Spit you right out."

Shaking my head, I turned toward the Relentless, cupped my hands around my mouth, and shouted at Jacky, who was concentrating on his men in the water. "Oi! Jacky. Take a gander south. We got more company. You expecting anyone?"

RAKEHELL-1.jpg

You can do everything right, strictly according to procedure, on the ocean, and it'll still kill you. But if you're a good navigator, a least you'll know where you were when you died.......From The Ship Killer by Justin Scott.

"Aye, I see the ship," I bellowed back t' the captain o' the Rakehell. "But we're a little busy, tryin' t' appropriate the plunder the Spanish hav left behind."

"If ye'd like t' help us, an yer self, how 'bout danglin' that first mate o' yers in the water. He might be better at distractin' the sharks from my men an me, then he is at tackin' yer ship!" I shouted. The Rakehell was close enough, that I could read Africa's expression. I turned t' Stones, an said, "He doesn't look that eager t' help us."

I laughed at Jacky's remark. "Well," I shouted back, "You better hope your helmsman never gets bored!"

Africa's firm grip on the wheel told me nothing more than an on-board bomb blast would get him into that water.

"Africa would be no help to you at all. He can't swim, and would sink like a rock. You'll have to find someone else to sacrifice to the sharks."

I gave another look through the glass at the brig, which was coming in closer.

"Think I'll just put the Rakehell between you and this new visitor. How much longer are you going to need, or is this going to take days?"

No matter his answer, with this new vessel coming in, I feared we'd be lucky to get the next couple of hours.

Then, to my surprise, Colard, who'd been watching the approaching newcomer, said with amazement, "Ma'am. I know that ship!"

RAKEHELL-1.jpg

Smithe had dispensed the kit the lads would need fer this dive. Dillard, an company, had lowered the barrel back t' the bottom. They were all waitin' on my command, t' begin the recovery.

"Down there, I'll be directin' ye wit' hand signals," I said, as I demonstrated the basics. "We work in pairs, an make sure ye know where yers' is at all times."

"As Smithe told ye, don't let these sharks bump an bite. Bump 'em first wit' those gaffs," I said. "Ye both will keep the divin' barrel, supplied wit' air," I said, an pointed at the two Dutch sailors. "The two of you will move the contents we bring back from the ship, an place them in the buckets," I said, as I pointed t' the last two crewmen in our party.

"Jonesy, an I will visit the ship first, an map out her remains," I said, as I acknowledged the deaf crewman.

"Gentlemen Godspeed," I remarked, as I climbed back down into the dingy.

Edited by Jacky Tar

The first hour of the salvage was uneventful, as we waited for signals to hoist buckets, and lower barrels.

"Over there!" I shouted, as a cork float popped up near a bucket line. "Haul away lads, an let's see what's in that bucket!"

As the first bucket was hauled up on deck, the excitement began t' build. I heard a crewman complain, how light the bucket felt.

I peered into the bucket, an remarked, "It's only one bar, but it's gold!" I turned the smallish, one pound bar, over in my hand. The roman numerals (XXIII:) looked like they had been etched into the bar yesterday. "This bar is marked twenty-three and a half carats. It's all most pure gold!" I said, excitedly.

Edited by Dillard

Nate continued ta stir his bergoo in silence, waitin fer Cat ta ask her questions when they heard yellin from back where the Rakehell n Relentless were. Nate sighed, "Wonder wot alla that's about. I guess we best get topside ta see wot be at hand, but not wit out some o this." Nate grabbed two bowls an doled out th bergoo, stuck a wooden spoon in each an' offered one ta the Cat wit a grin an a wink. "It'll git yer strength back up, luv. Father ain't tellin me wot we gots fer us next." Nate took a spoonfull o bergoo an stuck it in his mouth. "Aye, come out perty good. . . . Quite tasty iffn I does say so me self." Nate headed topside an took a look round. Not far off was yet another ship. "Jaysus! Alla them firins a great guns done attracted th natives! Ye'd tink this here were a thrivin seaport! More company Red Cat!" Nate looked heavenward, "I hope ye don't tink this' funny now. Every time I tink I might have a wee rest, ye go n put me in harm's way. Wall, I ain't laughing."

~Black Nate~

Brenpen185.jpg

Red Cat watched Nate's backside head topside, an wit a grin sniffed th' bowl..then th pot.. an took a taste, dippin her spoon directly in th' kettle jes because. She sighed, it was good. Best they'd had since th' uncertain banquet wit' th' Spanish. Cat laughed t' herself as she clibmed th' hatch one handed, bergoo in th' other. The image o' her an Ransom in those rediculous fancy dresses had come t' mind. Cat popped her head up cautiously an spied the immediate surroundins. Seein no threat she ascended an headed in Nate's direction. Pausin t' take another spoon full while it were still good n' hot she said "wot ye make o' this aye? ye'd think invitations were sent!"

I moved closer t' the bucket, t' get a look at the shiny object.

"It's a beauty. Can we see it's backside, Mister Dillard?" I asked, an he flipped the small bar in his hand. "No royal markin's, no tax stamps, very curious indeed. Ye don't suppose it's church gold?" I asked. "Nay," he said, "It's probably smuggled gold."

"Aye, well then, let's hope they was better smugglers, than they were sailors. Fer we could use a few more o' those bars."

I gave Mr. Dysart a hard stare. "What do you mean, you know that ship? Who is she, and what's her business?"

She's the Pride of Flodden, and her captain is one Tavish MacTavish, out of Aberdeen. That is, if he's still captain. He's an...opportunist, sort tae speak. Picks up goods 'round the Caribbean and sells them up North, sometimes as far as York Town."

"What's he doing here? And why is he flying no colors?"

Colard Dysart shrugged, then looked sheepish. "Weel, nae tae put tae fine a point on it, Ma'am, but, we ain't flying colors neither. He's nae a threat tae us, but he has nae love for yon Spaniards." Colard gestured toward the vessel that had been watching us. "Like as not, that's why he's here. Has a terrible hatred of the Spanish, does ol' Tavish."

"Will he remember you?"

"Been many a year, but, yes, I guess he'd remember an ol' shipmate from Dysart."

"Fine." I turned to Africa. "Run up a flag of truce, so he doesn't fire on us, then put us within hailing distance of the brig." I turned to Colard. "When we get close, you give him a shout, and find out why he's here."

"Aye, Ma'am, but..."

"What?"

"Weel, just hae a care. Ol' Tavish can sweet talk the birds from the trees, all the while he be stealing yer mother's sliver from the tea table."

I grinned. "Oh, good. I can't wait to meet him."

Just before the Rakehell veered off, I shouted at Jacky, "I'm going to make a social call. Be back in a tick."

RAKEHELL-1.jpg

Nate jus shook his head slowly. "I ain't got any idea wot is ta be said. Father ain't tellin me a ting. If it comes down ta it, we still got th swivels loaded an can run circles round who all comes round." Nate took a spoon full o bergoo and quickly swallowed it down. Using his spoon ta point. "Here come capin Ransom, hope she ain't as gun-happy as th commodore an attract more unwanted folks. Mebee we should change tack an close in, see wot might be. . . . Wot sez ye, Red?" Nate looked to the Cat who was quite enjoying th bergoo an pulled a bottle from his jacket pocket an offered it to her.

~Black Nate~

Brenpen185.jpg

The bar we sent t' the surface was recovered from the bilge o' the wreck. We believed we find the remainin' treasure, in the bilge.

Jonesy, an I, came up fer air inside the divin' barrel. I gestured t' Jonesy that it was time t' return t' the surface. Fer the air inside the barrel had gotten hot, an was gettin' more unbearable by the minute. We each took a deep breath, an exited the barrel.

We'd been mostly unmolested by the reef sharks, when a larger white tip decided t' try his luck. He swam in close fer a look, an startled one o' the Dutch sailors, 'fore we could surface. I gestured t' the sailor t' go back t' the barrel. But when the shark made a second pass, between us an the barrel, the sailor lost his nerve. 'Fore we could get closer t' the lad, he'd shed his haversacks, an was strugglin' t' reach the surface.

The white tip turned sharply, an followed the fleein' sailor t' the surface. The shark struck the man, an bit down on his leg. Sadly, the white tip didn't release the man's leg; it quickly dragged the frightened sailor, by the almost severed limb, away from us.

Soon the scent o' blood in the water, brought the remainin' reef sharks after the white tip an his prey.

Red Cat set th' bottle aside, happy fer th' moment wit th' good hot stew. She nodded t' Nate's suggestion, but then put a hand t' his shoulder. He looked round at her as she retrieved her spyglass an set th' bowl down as well. "Belay..." she said slowly, walkin towards th' gunnle she spied long in th Relentless direction an Nate followed suit . Soon a sort o' commotion made itself apparent. "Be they fightin amongst 'emselves fer wotever thev come upon?" Weren't Jacky Tar's style...but then she thought of the recent mutiny and hoped it wasn't again to repeat itself. She stared harder and scanned th' men along th rail o' th' relentless who were pointing and shouting. "Summin's amiss " the hairs stood up on th back o' her neck.

Nate put a hand ta th back o his neck and rubbed. "Aye, trouble. . . . Wot ye tink? head fer th capin er fer th commodore ta see wot trouble we c'n help wit? Er mebee jus stay clear a wee bit longer?" Nate shot a glance heavenward and shook his head. The Cat kept lookin through th glass ta see wot might be wot, so until she said wot th plan might be, Nate continued ta eat his bergoo. Might as well have a full stomach b fer headin into wotever mess we gots ahead o us. Nate though to himself as he spooned more bergoo in his mouth.

~Black Nate~

Brenpen185.jpg

The Rakehell had just started to make her turn when a commotion started on the Relentless. I hurried to the rail, training the glass on where Jacky's men were pointing. An ominous red stain spread from a spot on the water, like an oil slick. Black fins broke the surface everywhere. Frantically, I searched the Relentless for Jacky's familiar figure, but couldn't find him.

"Luff her up, luff her up now blast you, or I'll skin the hide off all of you," I screamed.

The Rakehell fell instantly off the wind, and drifted not far from Jacky's ship. Africa, eyes wide, pointed to the seething water, where sharks circled and darted, looking for more prey.

Running to the waist, I shouted at Jacky's stunned men. "Who was it? Who got taken by the shark?"

The men, while giving wild-eyed glances at the hunters in the water, were frantically pulling up lines attached to something below the surface, and were too busy to answer me.

With a sudden, sick feeling in the pit of my stomach, I watched the lines being hauled up, willing Jacky to appear unharmed. "If he lets himself get eaten by a shark, I'll kill him..." I cursed.

RAKEHELL-1.jpg

I turned t' Mister Dillard, an says, "Six men go in t' the water, but I don't think they'll all be comin' out."

We all saw the frenzied sharks, an the blood in the water. Yonder the cap'n o' the Rakehell was shoutin' questions, which we couldn't answer.

Wit' their knifes drawn, the remainin' men started t' surface, an swam fer the jolly boat.

I scrambled down t' the jolly boat, t' help them out o' the water. "Swim! Swim like yer lifes depended on it!" I screamed. "You there, take this oar," an I thrust an oar in t' the hands o' the man next t' me. "If ye see a shark, wallop 'em wit' it! An see that ye don't fall in yer self." I growled, at the dazed lookin' lad.

As the two watched, splashin an fins became apparent wit th' stain in th water. Th' Rakehell had come about closer an she saw Roberts lope t' th' rail, pistol drawn aimin at the water but he did na fire. Nate exclaimed "They's set upon by them sharks! " he ran t' bring up th' anchor an Cat followed t' assist in gettin the ship they's on closer t' th fray. She wondered aloud if firin a deck gun into th' water near by might scare 'em off. As they hurried she wondered wot she would say when they caught up wit Roberts, 'r wot th big oaf'd have t' say hisself.

Nate weren't sure if wot Red Cat suggested would work and said so. "Ain't say I ever saw it done, but I can't say it'd work r not. Wouldn't wanna stun r kill a body accidentally, give th sharks an easier time." Nate n Cat upped th anchor an got sails set, running the sloop in closer ta see wot could be done ta help. Nate spied a man slapping th water wit an oar, either ta attract th sharks to him, or he were defending himself from one. Nate also saw the man called Roberts on deck o th Rakehell wit a pistol in his hand and thought back ta when he left him behind ta go find th Red Cat. A grin crossed Nate's face for a moment. Oh he's a fergivin sort, won't bare a grudge a wot he done did, aye Father? Nate thought to himself as he pulled the tiller an tried ta get them close, but not too close as to avoid runnin inta one o th other ships. "Wot's going on there? Wot can ya see, Cat?"

~Black Nate~

Brenpen185.jpg

Tavish MacTavish stood on the quarterdeck of the Pride of Flodden, looking through the glass at the commotion going on in the water, and between the three ships. He then swung the glass around to look at the other ship, standing some distance away. A growl escaped from the depths of his tangled red beard, which resembled an overgrown hedge, and blended into the wild red hair that framed his ruddy face. "Spaniards, be damned!"

Beside him, his quartermaster raised a scared brow, and asked, "What is it, sir? What's happening out there?"

MacTavish turned on him a cunning eye. "Opportunity, me lad. I believe we hae fallen on a fine opportunity."

The quartermaster glanced worridly at the thrashing water, where the sharks circled like vultures. "I don't much like the idea of leaving those men to the sharks, sir."

The look the captain cast him made him take a step back. "Then turn your noddy head, and don't watch," MacTavish said, and put the glass back to his eye.

RAKEHELL-1.jpg