The Pirate Hunter's Smarter Brother!

Inigo Montoya

As the lads pulled a very soggy Spoons aboard, Dillard pointed out another ship which had come in t' view.

"Orders, Mister Tar?" Dillard asked. "If their just passin' through, let 'em pass. But if they get too close, a friendly warnin' across their bow would be in order; since, were fresh out o' ghosts!" I replied. Mister Dillard chuckled, an knuckled his forehead.

"What about Spoons?" Stones asked. "Show Spoons t' the brig, give 'em some dry clothes, an some food. But make it clear t' all, that Spoons will not be receivin' any visitors, fer the rest o' this voyage," I said. Spoons avoided my gaze, an was led off wit' out any further exchange.

• Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

'Fore I retreated t' my cabin that night, Stones asked, why didn't I let Spoons drown? I replied, "Mayhaps, if the fates allow it, next time."

Driftin' off in me bunk, the dream begins wit the smell o' spent powder, an the ringin' sound o' sword against steel. I find myself fightin' my way t' the quarterdeck, o' the Spanish ship.

A shout from behind me, causes me t' turn, an I attempt t' block the thrust o' a blade intended fer me back. The Spaniard's blade pierces me in the chest, an it is all I can do t' return a fatal blow t' his throat, wit' me cutlass.

As I lie on the quarterdeck, wit' breath an blood leavin' my body, I feel life slippin' away. It is then that someone lifts my head, an says, "Drink this!" I try t' swallow, but spit most of it up, mixed wit' my own blood. My eyes flutter, an I see it's Spoons tryin' t' tend my fatal wounds. Then he pulls the blade from my chest, an he says, "You'll not be dying t'day, not on my watch!" He then pours somethin' on my chest wound. It's always at this point that I sit up in bed, clutchin' my chest, an realize I'm still alive.

Wipin' the beads o' sweat from my head, I mutter, "Not t'day Spoons, not on my watch!"

Edited by Jacky Tar

I watched with a bit of amazement as the Relentless returned to her previous spot and dropped anchor. Apparently the new arrival didn't have Jacky too worried. The ship was smaller than the sloop which Nate was on, and which still stood off out of range. "Silly Irishman," I mumbled. "Why doesn't he and Cat come in for a parley? Be nice to know if they've seen anything interesting while they were off on their little escapade."

The smaller Spanish ship also kept out of cannon range of our two vessels, but didn't appear too interested in following the big galleon either. What did she want? The whole set up was strange, and had me nervous. However, if Jacky, who knew these waters better than I did, and who'd dealt with the Spanish before, wasn't worried, then I guessed it must be safe to drop anchor and finish the repairs to the hull.

I gave the order to Africa, who reluctantly passed it on, while still keeping a sharp eye on the retreating galleon, and the new visitor.

...schooners, islands, and maroons

and buccaneers and buried gold...

RAKEHELL-1.jpg

You can do everything right, strictly according to procedure, on the ocean, and it'll still kill you. But if you're a good navigator, a least you'll know where you were when you died.......From The Ship Killer by Justin Scott.

"Well, that's just maddeningly unhelpful."....Captain Jack Sparrow

Found in the Ruins — Unique Jewelry

Found in the Ruins — Personal Blog

Red Cat sat upon the Sloop's gunnle an took a good long pull o' rum. Graspin th' bottle in one hand she gestured towards the remaining ships wit her pistol. "Wall I never seen such a confusin half battle in all me years" She took a 'nother swig. "Not a shot fired an those clearly wit th' advantage, sailin away like we's ghosts...." Cat's eyes grew wider an she hopped off th' gunnle an staggered over where Nate were still stretchin his lanky form. "Bugger! Jacky DID say there'd be many a strange occurrence surroundin these waters...do ye suppose...." Her thoughts flashed briefly t' Ol Roberts an th' state he mus be in, th' big superstitious oaf. A half smile tugged at one corner o' her lips for th' briefest o' seconds picturin th' broad an imposin man jumpin at every wee sound. "but if there be spirits about...be it they " Cat waved th pistol drunkenly towards th' retreatin vessels causin Nate to step lively out o'it's aim " r' us they seek?"

Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help....

Her reputation was her livelihood.

I'm a pirate, love. By nature and by choice!

My inner voice sometimes has an accent!

My wont? A delicious rip in time...

Nate weren't sure if he should take the pistol or the bottle off Red Cat. Instead he stepped to er side an gazed at th ships about them. "I ain't rightly sure wot who be after, er who be after wot. Wot ol' Nate tinks is. . . . He'll have another drink an keep our fine ship sailin out o gun range." Nate gently took th bottle from Red Cat an took a swig. Pointing wit th bottle, Nate mumbled to himself for a moment before speakin aloud. "I ain't so sure wot might be, wot I is sure of. . . . is we gots a full larder an fresh water enough fer ta keep happy fer. . . . fer a long time, that's wot!" Nate smiled his wild grin at Red Cat and put an arm around her til he saw her look at him. Nate removed his arm and offered her the bottle with a sheepish grin replacing his wild one.

~Black Nate~

Brenpen185.jpg

A ship in a puddle is better than no ship at all

Dear Saint Brendan, to mention your name is to recall much travelling.

It was in relation to voyages that you emerged as a popular Saint.

The Irish became great travelers thus spreading their faith everywhere.

Protect not only mariners but also all those who go down to the sea in ships. Amen.

Red Cat didnt resist as Nate gingerly loosed th' bottle from her grasp...She thought wit some amusement at herself, that he was th' wiser not t' ave gone fer th'pistol.

Ol Young Nate were't used t' wot some may refer t' her ..reckless manner.. in some situations, so..she let it pass.

But a strong arm round her waist were a surprise SHE warn't expectin. Cat turned expressionless t' its owner who just as quickly withdrew.

Snatchin back th' bottle widely, she sprung at him momentarily "Mish - ter Durant!!".. he did not step away but th' grin faded into a more apologetic expression. Cat wavered a moment considerin th' sprits within an' without th' bottle..not t' mention they two. An then the fact that they'd nay eaten since morn.

Not releasin th' bottle , she grinned slyly at th sailor before her.."Y' offer a lady a drink an none to eat wit it?" Nat'e's shoulders relaxed an th' grin returned wit a slightly bewildered expression. Cat figured there warn't nutin else t' do in th standoff..the Spanish had sailed, an she warn't favorin closin on the Relentless r' Rakehell fer fear o' another welcome... an she were in a slightly mischevious mood anyways. She waited t' see wot ol' young Nate may do

Nate stood a moment as his rum-fogged mind wrapped around wot Red Cat had said. When it finally cleared enough, Nate understood. "Oh, Aye lass! We gots a full larder, wot be yer pleasure?" Nate grinned and gave a bow, gesturing forward to the main hatch below. "Would Lady Red Cat prefer a cheese? Salted ham? Mayaps a look about ta see wot other fine things might be had in th larder wot I didn't find bfore?" Nate stood from his bow and held a hand out ta Red Cat and the other gestured to say 'Wot be yer wish?'

~Black Nate~

Brenpen185.jpg

Protect not only mariners but also all those who go down to the sea in ships. Amen.

Cat grinned this time an stowed th' flintlock in her belt. She cleared her throat an marched regally t' the hatchway without another ward..but fell t' a giggle brought on by a hiccup as soon as she'd descended into th' danker hold. Jes th' same Cat turned about t' make sure she had a eye on Nate' in the dimmer reaches o' the ship. The larder was full as promised an she began t' poke about th barrels an sacks strainin t' see wot th marking were.

Nate watched her head b low an once she were out o sight took a look about the sea around their ship. Nate walked back an took hold o th tiller an pushed it over, headin th sloop away from th other ships n shores about them. Nate took up th line there an made it fast ta th tiller before headin forward an b low ta see wot Red Cat might have found fer ta dine on wit th rum. Once Nate were b low he called out an squinted in th low light. "Oi Cat, ye find somin worth ta be had wit th fine drink? There be plenty ta be had right off, er we could get a fire in th galley an make a meal fit fer a king, wot say ye , luv?" Nate rounded about a barrel and near run inta the Cat as she stood up from peerin at a bunch o sacks full o rice laid out.

~Black Nate~

Brenpen185.jpg

The sloop carrying Nate and Cat continued to stand off, which made me wonder if they were having too good a time just the two of them, and had no desire to rejoin the rest of us. Then a way to answer my question occurred to me, and I sought out Roberts, who'd been extremely quiet since it was feared Red Cat had fallen overboard and drown.

I found the big man helping with the repairs to the hull, he and Colard in friendly conversation as they worked. "Mr. Roberts, a word please."

He looked up, nodded, then put down the oakam mallet he was holding. "Ma'am?"

We stood a little away from Colard. "Roberts, you've known Cat longer than the rest of us. Would she leave you to run off with that crazy Irishman?"

Roberts first looked stunned, then sad, and then angry, but held his tongue, clearly wanting to chose his words carefully before answering me.

"Well?" I demanded, "would she?"

RAKEHELL-1.jpg

You can do everything right, strictly according to procedure, on the ocean, and it'll still kill you. But if you're a good navigator, a least you'll know where you were when you died.......From The Ship Killer by Justin Scott.

After a fitful sleep, I returned t' the helm.

"Smithe, signal the other ships, t' weigh anchor!" I barked.

I then turned t' Stones, "Prep the grapnels, an we'll drag the bottom fer that wreck, when we reach the waters at the east end o' this island."

The grapnels weren't strong enough t' hold the ship, but wit' a little seamanship, an luck, we could snag one o' those wrecks.

Smithe had caught the attention, o' the crew o' the Rakehell. But we couldn't raise the Cat, or Nate.

"Dillard, as we pass that Spanish ship, give 'em a salute wit' one o' the swivel guns." I winked, an exclaimed, "That should bring 'em topside!"

Tomas questioned the Captain as to how they were to find the wreck. Several of the crew laughed behind the Captain. "You do not forget where it is you died Tomas. We will be there soon." The game of questions and cryptic answers was getting the better of the Spaniard. Tomas stood up abruptly and walked back onto the deck. Phone and Roberto had finally arisen. "Well, well," said Tomas, un triste espectáculo." "¡Lo siento Señor Guerrero!" Phonse apologized profusely. "I thought," he stammered. He suddenly heard a groan from below as the ship changed direction. He and Roberto both scampered to the rail. Tomas simply shook his head, "Mariquitas." Phonse looked about to see where else he could climb to and noticed the horizon. "Señor Guerrero, are they following us?" The Spaniard turned sharply to make out the figures of those vessels he saw earlier. "Captain Norton, we may have company."

"For art to exist, for any sort of aesthetic activity to exist, a certain physiological precondition is indispensable: intoxication."

-Friedrich Nietzsche

0000banner-accommodation.png

No sooner had we reached the east end o' the island, when Stones called out, "Looks like we got us a bite, Mister Tar!"

The line attached t' the grapnel pulled tight. "Lash a barrel t' that line!" I shouted, "Let it go, an see no one goes wit' it."

This was goin' t' be too easy, I heard Smithe say. "That remains t' be seen," I replied. "Now get yer self a loft, an help drop some canvas."

The strike was promisin', but ye can't stop a ship on a sixpence. We needed t' turn this ship around, an locate that barrel.

"Ma'am." Jimmy called down. "Ma'am, we're getting a sign from the Relentless. Seems she's pulling up anchor again."

I turned away from Roberts, who had still not answered my question about the Cat. "We'll talk later," I told him, and went back up on deck.

Ignoring the new Spanish ship completely, it appeared Jacky was getting ready to drag the bay, looking for the sunken Treasure ship. I looked toward the new vessel, and could see movement along her decks, but she made no attempt to fire at us...yet. Clearly, they were here for a reason, for they weren't sailing away. It was as if they were watching, and waiting.

"Letting us do all the hard work, I'll bet," I muttered. Turning to Africa, I said, "Keep us within hailing range of the Relentless, but put someone up in the fighting top to keep an eye on that Spanish newcomer. Jacky can ignore her if he likes, but I don't trust her."

RAKEHELL-1.jpg

As we anchored close t' the first barrel, the deck began t' get crowded wit' the tools we'd need t' descend on wot we hoped was the first wreck.

"Stones, check these leather hoses on these barrels, we don't want t' hav the air escape from them, til' we need 'em below."

"Dillard, hav Jonesy ready those haversacks wit' the ballast, fer the men goin' in the water. We don't want anyone poppin' up like a cork."

"Where is Smithe wit' those masks, beeswax, an that oil?" Wit' that last remark, Smithe came up, out o' the hold, wit' the goggled eyed masks.

"Sorry, sire." He said, "Just sealin' these, where they got a bit dry. Don't need no seawater in yer eyes, if'n I can help it."

I picked up one o' the masks, an remarked, "Good job, Smithe. They look t' be ready fer our first descent."

As the lads lowered the divin' barrel (which was more of a cone shape) down t' the water, men in the water began t' tie anchor ropes t' the barrel's rim. Wit' the anchors now in place, we lowered the divin' barrel t' the seabed below.

Edited by Jacky Tar

I didn't drop anchor, but kept the Rakehell positioned between the Relentless and the Spaniard. In watching Jacky's crew, I had no idea, at first, what the devil he was doing, but as the barrel was lowered into the water, I got the general gist of it, and had to admire his creativity.

Since we had no such equipment on board, I took our job to be that of guardian, so the crew kept alert for any change in the other vessel's manner, and the gunners were ready if she looked to start trouble.

As for Nate and the Cat, from what I could see through the glass, the two appeared to be totally drunk, and completly useless if we needed any kind of help.

RAKEHELL-1.jpg

"Not to worry Tomas," rang out the voice from below. Tomas motioned for the glass from Phonse and put it to his eye. One ship already had men in the water and the small sloop taken from him came into full view. Tomas watched as the other vessel cautiously manuevered about. He caught a glint from the quarterdeck and saw himself staring at someone doing just the same to him. But, the figure looked to be that of a woman. "¿por qué?" Tomas said out loud. "What is it Señor?" Tomas never removed the glass from his eye. "A woman, Phonse." "Oh?" replied the portly ne'er-do-well. "And it appears that she is in charge." Phonse and Roberto moved to the rail and shielded the sun to their eyes as they watched the ship move about the others.

"For art to exist, for any sort of aesthetic activity to exist, a certain physiological precondition is indispensable: intoxication."

-Friedrich Nietzsche

0000banner-accommodation.png

Mister Tar had stripped down t' his breeches, an was readyin' t' climb down in t' the water.

"Beggin' yer pardon, sire. Why don't ye let one o' the lads check out the divin' barrel? Any scrapes, or worse, ye get this time are keepers; we just don't hav any more o' that water, t' mend yer wounds."

He just smiled, an said, "Then I better be careful."

"And lucky." I muttered, as shark's dorsal fin broke the surface o' the water.

"Oi, sire! I put one o' those Spanish pig-stickers in the dingy. Take it wit' ye, in case any o' those fishies get too nosey!"

He smiled, turned wit' a mask in hand, an descended in t' the dingy.

I continued to hold the Rakehell between our Spanish visitors and the anchored Relentless. Mostly I kept the glass on the Spaniard, but did take it away long enough to get a nice close view of Jacky, stripped down to just his breeches, climb into the dingy. I quick flash of memory on our frantic, amorous night in Havana sparked through my mind, and I smiled. "That's not going to be the only night I knock your socks off, you old sea dog," I whispered, then turned the glass and my attention back to the Spanish.

It was then I realized that not only was I watching them, but they were watching me. "Who are you?" I muttered.

"Ma'am?" Jimmy said.

"Just thinking out loud, Jimmy. Just thinking out loud."

RAKEHELL-1.jpg

I shouted down to Mister Tar, "Mister Tar, sir! We've dropped two barrels of air, near the diving barrel, as ordered. But it seems we've attracted a few curious sharks. Mayhaps, we should let them lose interest, before you take the plunge, sir."

Mister Tar, replied that he was aware of the sharks, and that he'd take it on advisement. I noticed that he had Jonesy casting dried, and powdered, shark remains into the water. "Hopefully, those weren't the remains of any sharks these sharks knew," I said, to Stones. He didn't laugh, and offered to lower me into the water, before the captain.

Edited by Dillard

A long spar, rigged wit' block and tackle, t' lower us in t' the water was over head.

Stones lowered a line, wit' a halter hitch tied on the end. I grasped the line wit' one hand, placed a foot in t' the hitch loop, and grasped Smithe's lance wit' the other hand. Then I gave the signal t' be lowered in t' the water.

The water was crystal clear, an the mask didn't leak, so I could keep an eye out for those sharks.

Upon reachin' the bottom, I left the line behind, an walked t' the divin' barrel. I entered the barrel, from the bottom, an once inside drew a much needed breath o' air.

Edited by Jacky Tar

Having finished working on the hull, Colard came up on deck. Standing at the rail next to Tunny, Colard pointed to the Relentless, and said, "Is that nae the strangest thing ye've seen in this world?"

Tunny nodded. "It's been a right strange voyage all round, this time out, that's for certain."

"What are they doing?"

"Seems Captain Tar is taking a trip below to check things out. Better him than me, I say, as there's more than one shark cruising the waters looking for a quick meal. Not too respectful as to what rank that meal may be, either."

The thought of purposely going into shark infested waters made Colard shudder. "Hope what he finds down there is worth the trouble."

Edited by Colard Dysart

Then they to the tavern house

with meikle oly prance

One spoke with wordis wonder crouse

A done with mischance!

I would die where I would dine

In tavern to recline

Then would angels pray the glibber

God have mercy for this bibber.

The barrel had two viewin' port holes, as I looked out one, I remarked, "There ye be. So we hav hooked a ship!" The ship was 'bout fifty feet from the barrel. The masts were missin', an the hull had had seen better days, but she was a ship. "We need t' get this barrel closer. Time t' go topside," I said.

A couple deep breaths, an it was time t' leave the barrel. I walked back t' the line, an gazed up at the bottom o' the Relentless. No sharks in sight, so I dropped the lance, an left the haversacks on the bottom. Then I started my ascent, hand ov'r hand, up the line.

Edited by Jacky Tar

When Mister Tar came back up, Mister Dillard breathed a sigh o' relief. Stones had been eyin' him wit' more than mock disdain.

"Sire, we trust ye'll confirm wot' we all believe is down there," I said t' him, while helpin' em in the dingy. He said, "She's on the bottom, an looks t' be Spanish, if that's wot yer askin'?"

"Aye sire, the lads will be glad t' hear that, " I announced, more loudly.

Mister Tar then began t' shout orders, t' recover the barrel, set towlines, and warp us closer t' the wreck's position.

Edited by Smithe

Cat an Nate had managed a fire in th' Galley and were awaitin a fine repast. Red CAt were enjoyin herself an wore a quirky smile as she considered the recent turn o' events from wot should have been a bloody battle to a fine sunny afternoon in th' makin. She turned t' Nate who were busy stirrin his own creation on th fire. "Soooooooooo Nate do tell me about yeself as we seem t' have a lull twixt bein fired at an bad weather." She gave him a quick wink addin...."let's be hopeful that it lasts quite some time." She leant back agin the galley entrance an passed a bottle to his free hand.