The Pirate Hunter's Smarter Brother!

Inigo Montoya

As the vessel cleared land, Tomas felt the rise and fall of the waves beneath him and a full breath of wind behind him. He opened a gun port to his starboard and heard the groan of many men. He luffed it off and peered out the hole. They were making a good pace but heading in the direction opposite of his map. "Your map Tomas, let me see it," asked the Captain. Tomas returned to his seat and removed the folded parchment from his pocket slowly. He placed one end under the lantern and another under the bottle. "No, no, this is not the place," spoke the Captain. "This map, it was found where Tomas?" "In the Spanish territories, just west of where we are."

"You must mean, here." Tomas gasped silently as a long bony finger traced their destination along the map. He had many, many bookkeepers, soldiers, captains, pirates and privateers and spies within his payroll, but never the undead. The Captain dragged the finger to where Tomas and Phonse had dug up the chest. "Si, Si, that is where we were," Tomas agreed. The Captain turned to a boy behind him and whispered. Tomas sipped long from the bottle. "¿Qué quieres?," Tomas asked. "Empreso libre?" The Captain laughed, "Nothing is free Tomas." "What do you want from me?", the Spaniard asked.

"Tomas, a fortnight we have not breathed the air of you. In the sun we cannot be, else we rot." Tomas leaned in with his elbows on his knees. "¿De verdad?," Tomas merely added. "Yes Tomas, we need water." Tomas stood and kicked several hogsheads in the light. "There is water all around you, Captain," Tomas said bluntly. "¿Cómo te llamas?" Tomas asked angrily.

"My apologies Tomas. I am ahead of myself. My name is Benjamin Norton. I am Captain of H.M.S. Revenge. My lieutenant was killed in our battle with the Galleon, but Elisha Luther has since taken duties as he was master. Nearly the entire crew was killed before the Galleon overtook us. I only have these men left," Captain Norton appeared to wave his arm into shadows but when the shadows moved and grunted, Tomas knew they were there. "To answer your question afore, the water, Tomas, is not the water of drink. It does not merely slake the thirst. To the living it will help mend ailments without the help of native salves," Benjamin Norton paused. "To the dead, it will bring air into our lungs."

Tomas had heard stories of this before. Mostly from rum-soaked old men sitting around great hearths. But now, here, he was in the hold with a crew of the damned. Was it true? Captain Norton continued to explain the cause of their state. Several slaves were held with the crew below decks in the Altanero. One slave chanted for three days prior to the storm. The waves grew to match the winds. As the storm whipped into a frenzy, the slave cursed the men of tan skin to forever haunt the sea and to never see the light of day.

Tomas had many questions to ask. A voice from the bow suddenly called to the men:

"Captain, a galleon had come into sight as well as two other vessels."

"For art to exist, for any sort of aesthetic activity to exist, a certain physiological precondition is indispensable: intoxication."

-Friedrich Nietzsche

0000banner-accommodation.png

• Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nate watched his new slops flutter in the breeze atop the masthead and grinned. Wearing his old ones, he didn't mind the draft the let through several rents in them, some of which, had he been more sober, he'd be a bit embarrassed in front of Red Cat. Both of them heard a hoot of laughter from the two ships. "Sound like they's got n understandin now, aye Cat?" Red Cat chuckled a bit and looked at Nate, suddenly her grin disappeared as somethin caught her eye over Nate's shoulder. "Oi, nother set o sails commin our way." Nate turned about and shaded his eyes wit a hand. The Lass was right. Nate reached for the glass but Red Cat already had it to her eye. "A Spanish galleon sneakin up on us. Jacky done signaled em right to us." Nate tapped Red Cat on the shoulder. She looked at him and he pointed to the Brig and Schooner. "Aye, now they's attracted a real foe, they's upin anchor an gonna run. We best follow suit." The new situation had sobered up the two of em and now they was all action. Sails trimmed and full, the little sloop was a quick sailer and was soon passing the two friendly ships. Nate watched as those crew scrambled to set sail and were finally drawing wind, tacking their direction to escape. Nate looked over their rig and laughed some. "Wot's so funny?" Nate grinned at Red Cat and pointed up to his slops. "Don't tink we need ta keep our 'ensign' flyin now." Red Cat's eyes flicked up to the masthead and back to Nate. She tried not to but a smile tugged at the corners of her mouth. Nate chuckled again and she couldn't help but laugh. Both were snickering as Nate took up the line and lowered the 'flag' they had been flyin.

~Black Nate~

Brenpen185.jpg

A ship in a puddle is better than no ship at all

Dear Saint Brendan, to mention your name is to recall much travelling.

It was in relation to voyages that you emerged as a popular Saint.

The Irish became great travelers thus spreading their faith everywhere.

Protect not only mariners but also all those who go down to the sea in ships. Amen.

"If that's the galleon I think it be, we must fight em here, or risk havein' em dog us all the way t' Florida." I growled, "I don't suppose they came all this way t' make us any better offers."

I sniffed at the air, the smell o' sulphur had returned, an I remarked, "Aye lads, mayhaps the locals can give us a hand wit' yon galleon, instead!"

I went below, t' let El Diablo know there was a galleon that was his for the takin'.

Edited by Jacky Tar

Not only did it appear that we were gaining on Mister Tar's little fleet, but the flotilla had changed course, and was coming to meet us.

"What are you up too, Jacky Tar?" I muttered. I doubted that the capitan would entertain another parley, under a flag of truce. I also didn't believe Mister Tar would challenge the galleon, with so few guns.

The capitan, and his crew were excitedly preparing for the impending engagement. All I could do was watch the event unfold, as the ships drew closer.

"Fools!" I cursed. Mister Tar could only hope to cripple the larger vessel, and flee. The realization that it was more likely that the galleon would send the Relentless to the bottom of the sea, and the maps with it, made my heart sink.

As I neared the galley, I heard wot' sounded like a fight t' the death. Peerin' in t' the galley, I spied Rosie astride a prostrate sailor, wit' her knife pressed against his throat.

"Easy Rosie, wot ever he said 'bout yer cookin', it's not worth killin' em!" I said, wit' a small wry smile.

Crouchin' down t' see the face o' the poor unfortunate sailor, I sputtered, "Dillard... Didn't I give ye an order t' stay out o' the galley? I should let Rosie dispatch ye, fer disobeyin' a direct order, again!"

I pleaded, "Rosie, I really need this lad, right now."

I don't know if it were me pleadin', or the fact that she had made her point; she withdrew her blade, stood up, an spat, "Swine!"

As Dillard scrambled t' his feet, I said, "We'll talk 'bout this later. Fer now, help ready the cannons, an be quick 'bout it!"

Edited by Jacky Tar

"Stay to leeward and see if they engage," called the Captain back to the bow. "Aye, aye" was replied from a far off nook. Tomas heard several cables being pulled taut and felt a slight change of direction. The Captain whispered to a shadow next to him. Tomas could hear the patter of feet all about him yet still could not make out any discernable shapes. The light peeked through gaps in the gunports but not enough to illuminate below deck.

Edited by Tomas Guerrero

"For art to exist, for any sort of aesthetic activity to exist, a certain physiological precondition is indispensable: intoxication."

-Friedrich Nietzsche

Nate had taken his slops off the lanyard and looked up to see that the Rakehell an Relentless had tacked towards th galleon. "Wot th bloody hell they doin?!?" Nate climbed up onto the gunn'l an pointed, shaded his eyes an pointed again more emphatically. "Jaysus! There be another ship comin up!" Nate looked to heaven. "A'right Father, wot have we gotten into?!? Wot ya wantin me ta do ta get us outta all this?!?" Nate jumped down off the rail and ran to each swivel gun, rechecked them and headed below. Red Cat was bewildered by his actions until he reappeared with some items from the magazine. He lay an armful o shot and powder, an two linstocks. Heading downwind, Nate pulled a flint and steel out with some lengths o slow-match. Nate made a small pile o powder from a horn inside a bucket. He placed th ends o th slow-match in th powder and began knickin sparks off the steel into the bucket until it set th powder afire, lightin th slow-match. Droppin the flint n steel he grabbed the match cords an stuck them on th linstocks. "Guns at th ready Red Cat! We gonna foller th commodore an all inta battle, aye?" Nate grinned his wild grin and held out a linstock to Red Cat.

~Black Nate~

Brenpen185.jpg

Protect not only mariners but also all those who go down to the sea in ships. Amen.

As the Rakehell and Relentless turned to face the galleon I ordered my small gun crew to stand ready. The Rakehell could out-sail the galleon any day, but her hull was thick oak, and I wasn't sure how much damage our six-pounders would do. Jacky had the heavier guns, and I could see his gun crews scrambling to make ready to fire.

With a curious thrill running up my spine, I shouted, "Stand ready the guns!

Then I grinned over at Jacky, not even sure he could see me, and thought, "Well, Luv, if we go down, we go down together."

Then the galleon opened her gun ports and I had no more time for idle thoughts.

...schooners, islands, and maroons

and buccaneers and buried gold...

RAKEHELL-1.jpg

You can do everything right, strictly according to procedure, on the ocean, and it'll still kill you. But if you're a good navigator, a least you'll know where you were when you died.......From The Ship Killer by Justin Scott.

"Well, that's just maddeningly unhelpful."....Captain Jack Sparrow

Found in the Ruins — Unique Jewelry

Found in the Ruins — Personal Blog

Red Cat's eyes widened "We're gonna wot!?" She snapped a hand t' her eye an looked in th direction Nate pointed. "Bloody hell!"

Cat readjusted two pistols to the front of her belt, hitched her cartridges forward an took th smoulderin linstock from Nate.

She jumped to th' rail free hand grasped the riggin an took in the movement o' the two ships an galleon. Cat let go of th' ropes an shook a fist in their direction.. teeterin as she did so. "Blast ye ....dammit firin guns all over th place! " She grabbed th' line agin as th' ship took a swell, no sense endin up in th drink... until an IF it be necessary this time..

"Wot we supposed t' do? we aint gunned fer a galleon!" Cat were nearly jumpin up an down on th slippery rail her mind racin twixt abandonin th' Relentless an th' Rakehell not only limpin but... "Roberts...." she spoke slowly then sprang t' action agin "Damn an blast man!" She'd not abandon him..they'd risked all fer each other more 'n once an' she knew she'd not abandon Jacky r' Ranson either. But th' odds of outgunnin vs runnin...this move made little sense..Red Cat loosed th' dagger from her baldric tucked it in her belt as well an turned t' Nate. "We mus wait...just a touch..I don't b'lieve th' galleon knows we ain't follerin...surprise may be our ally ..wot ye say? It's yer neck as well Mr. Durant"

Red CAt wondered just what it was th Spanish knew..an if it may be in th Relentless' hold.

Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help....

Her reputation was her livelihood.

I'm a pirate, love. By nature and by choice!

My inner voice sometimes has an accent!

My wont? A delicious rip in time...

Tomas ran atop to see what was going on. He stepped over his men and shook his head back and forth. Tomas took out his glass and put it to his eye. He smiled. He knew the galleon. He knew the Captain of the galleon. Tomas had saved his life once outside of Potosi. He ran back below to the Captain. "Estamos cerca de galeón," Tomas quickly said, "I know the Captain." He went back to the deck and watched the horizon. Tomas Guerrero saw his ship windward of the galleon. What he also noticed was the other two vessels to the northeast of their position.

-Friedrich Nietzsche

I climbed back on deck, an went t' the railin' amidships, an said, "Ghosts away!"

T' my surprise, not just a few glimmers o' silver light, below the water's surface, were headin' in the direction o' the galleon. "El Diablo, must o' known every spirit in these waters!" I said, wit' some admiration.

Stones wondered outloud wot' Ol' Stinky might do wit' a warship.

"That remains t' be seen." I replied, "More importantly, will he use it against us?"

Edited by Jacky Tar

I glance up at the main, and watched as the sails went slack for a moment. "That can't be." I muttered, and noticed how quiet the ship had gotten.

I stared in disbelief, as sailors, gunners, and marines all left their stations to gather about the capitan. I shouted, "Have you all gone mad? That's not a welcoming party, coming to greet you! They'll send us to the bottom, as surely as I'm standing here, if you don't return to your stations." But my pleas fell on deaf ears.

The entire crew was in a trance, or worse, I concluded. The capitan was just standing there, with his eyes closed. I just wished he'd open his eyes, and when he finally did, I wished he hadn't. "His eyes are black as coal!" I muttered fearfully.

"That's odd," I said, handing the glass to Africa. "Take a look and tell me what you think is going on with the galleon crew."

Africa put the glass to his eye, took a look, then quickly handed the instrument back to me. "Dat a cursed ship now. We stay here, we end up da same."

"Oh, please, not that cursed ship rant agai....." I had put the glass back to my own eye for another look, and suddenly realized Africa may not be too far off in his assessment. From what I could see, the whole crew was standing still as if turned to stone, and the ship had come off the wind, as if she were drifting rudderless. "What in bloody hell is going on?" I muttered. "Some kind of new Spanish trap?"

Then a familiar face was framed in the glass. "Spoons! You bloody son of a ..." I turned to the gun crew. "If that ship so much as twitches toward the Rakehell, send a nice little gift into her quarterdeck — on my order only!"

RAKEHELL-1.jpg

You can do everything right, strictly according to procedure, on the ocean, and it'll still kill you. But if you're a good navigator, a least you'll know where you were when you died.......From The Ship Killer by Justin Scott.

Nate was about ta answer Red Cat, sayin they'd not go racin in ta th fight when th biggest shiver went down his spine. "WhoOOooooOooOOooohhh. . . . Oh no. . . . nononononononono. . . ." Nate dashed to the tiller and steered th little sloop off the wind, slowin them down. "Nay, we ain't goin inta that fight dere, oh no. I got me a powerful feelin we ain't gonna head inta that. . . . Dunno wot kinda funny thing Father was tinkin' but we'll lay off here a bit. Got any more o that rum about, luv?" Red Cat stared at ol' Nate fer a time before givin a lopsided grin and shook her head. She pointed to a bucket close by and Nate saw the bottle in it. Nate took it up and had a gulp, grinned wide. "Aye. . . . This here will do fer ta watch wot happens now. Sides, likes ya said, we ain't set ta fight no galleon. . . . Be a long drawn out fight, but they'd eventually win, wall, maybe. . . ." Nate winked at Red Cat and grinned, all she could do was laugh and reach out fer th bottle he offered her way.

~Black Nate~

Brenpen185.jpg

The capitan pointed a bony finger in my direction, and said, "¡Usted no es parte de mi equipo y usted no es incluso español!"

He then gestured to his crew, and they deposited me into the sea. As I bobbed in the water, I watched the galleon change course, and sail away.

I turns t' Mister Tar, still pointin' at the man adrift, an shouted, "Man overboard!"

Mister Tar calmly replied, "It didn't look like the man lost his footin', or was struck by a spar. Nay, I do believe he was deliberately removed by the crew." He turned t' Stones, an asked if he agreed.

I says, wit' some frustration, "Beggin' yer pardon, sire. The galleon is sailin' away from em; so, shall we pluck em from the water, or not?"

Holding the smoldering slow match in his left hand, Colard stood by the forward larboard gun and watched the strange antics of the galleon. Instead of firing on them, the ship had changed course and tacked away from them. It made no sense at all.

Standing on the other side of the gun, the wet swap at the ready, Jimmy Cox also watched the Spanish ship turn away. "Now, why you think they did that? Not like Spaniards to turn tail and run. What do you think they're up to?"

Colard shook his head. "I nae can ken the reasoning o' the Spanish, but it do seem awful queer, especially when they have us out-gunned."

About that time, a figure went tumbling over the side of the galleon into the water.

"Lookit that." Jimmy pointed.

Colard looked over at the captain, who was watching the whole strange affair through the glass. "Ma'am, do we lower a boat and pluck that poor soul from the sea?"

The look she turned on him froze the marrow of his bones. "No, Mr. Dysart," she said, "We do not."

Then they to the tavern house

with meikle oly prance

One spoke with wordis wonder crouse

A done with mischance!

I would die where I would dine

In tavern to recline

Then would angels pray the glibber

God have mercy for this bibber.

A collective sigh could be heard, when the order to stand down was given. The much feared galleon was sailing away, without a shot being fired!

I helped stow cannons, douse matches, and apply praise where it was warranted. It wasn't until I went back up on deck, that I realized the Spanish had left someone behind; I could tell from Mister Tar's expression, that he was less than sympathetic to he whom the Spanish had cast adrift.

I walked over to where Smithe was standing, and said, "How long has he been treading water?" He replied, "Longer then I'd like, but it's the captn's call."

"Permission to throw the man, a line, or a barrel." I shouted, to Mister Tar. Although, if it was indeed Spoons, I knew neither would likely be offered; I did hear Stones mutter something 'bout an anchor.

Edited by Dillard

"Well I'll be.." Cat lowered th slowmatch an cocked a boot upon a crate. "Wot ye make o tha?" She turned t' Nate who looked as perplexed as she

Nate watched as th galleon sailed away and scratched his jaw. Lookin up to the heavens, Nate paused and gave a nod. "Father had me worried fer a minute, but Aye, He done showed us right. This calls fer celebration!" Nate thunked his linstock into th deck and rummaged around fer more rum. "I do tink this lil ship has charm, glad we found it. . . . Ah-ha!" Nate exclaimed as he held aloft a full bottle before wrenching the cork free and offering the fresh spirits to Red Cat.

~Black Nate~

Brenpen185.jpg

"Blast!" I muttered, "Why doesn't the fool swim fer shore?" Doggedly, Spoons just stayed there, treadin' water.

As I pondered Spoons fate, our current course brought us within hailin' distance o' our former crew mate. I walked t' rail, and hollered, "Seems yer no longer welcome aboard any ship in these waters."

T' which he replied, "Aye, the Spanish aren't much for long good-byes, either."

"I'll make ye an offer." I shouted, "We'll throw ye a line, and then it's straight t' the brig. Wot say ye?"

Edited by Jacky Tar

Cat an Nate passed th' spirits twixt em as they watched th' little drama play out not too far from where they be. There were shouts exchanged tween th man in th water an th' Relentless Captain though what was said was muffled by th' breeze. Cat chuckled as she handed th' bottle back to er mate."Aint in much of a spot t' be negotiatin now is he?"

Nate grinned and chuckled along wit Red Cat. "Nay lass, he ain't got much ta bargin wit at all. Wot ya tink th commodore gonna do wit im? Could give im a present o some cold shot." Nate took another hit off th bottle. "He could also throw him a line off a yardarm, let im swing fer a while. Who's ta say?" Nate handed the bottle back to Red Cat and stretched his arms over his head. 'Alla this excitement, now that it be past, makes me want ta relax. . . . Wot says ye, Cat?"

~Black Nate~

Brenpen185.jpg

Tomas watched as a man was dropped overboard, and the galleon changed tack. The two ships also altered course showing a third and smaller vessel, Tomas'. The galleon laid on full sail and rapidly moved away from the ships. Tomas could feel his ship slow and then come about. He ran back below deck. Before he could ask, the captain responded, "we are not where the treasure is you seek." Tomas saw several shadows moving and then felt the ship take on a different course. "Does not that vessel hold the chest you seek?" "In due time Tomas."

-Friedrich Nietzsche

I watched in amazement as someone from the Relentless lowered a line, and pulled Spoons from the water. "Why didn't Jacky just let the rotter drown?" I muttered.

Africa kept his dark gaze on the retreating galleon. "Da Spanish be leavin', Ma'am. What we do now?"

Before I could answer, Tunny called out from above. "Ma'am, there's another ship, not the sloop, which is standing off, but another ship. She looks a bit derelict, but she's coming in for a look at us."

I shifted the glass to the starboard horizon. "Who in bloody hell is that, and what do they want? God's teeth, this little deserted bit of ocean is getting as crowded as Port Royal harbor. The damned Governor will show up next and start taxing us." I called up to Tunny. "What flag are they flying?"

There was a pause as he checked on the incoming ship. Then, "Spanish, Ma'am," he called down. "It's a Spanish ship."

"Oh, that's just grand," I grumbled, then looked to see if Jacky or any of his crew had notice the new arrival.

RAKEHELL-1.jpg