The Pirate Hunter's Smarter Brother!

Inigo Montoya

"We searching for..." Phonse began. Tomas glared at him.

"...A faster way to Port Royal," Tomas quickly finished. He took a long drink from the bottle offered to him. "Gracias," Tomas muttered.

The small amount of treasure they had found was now washed along the reef. Along with that also still at the wreck site, Tomas felt he would never retrieve it.

"For art to exist, for any sort of aesthetic activity to exist, a certain physiological precondition is indispensable: intoxication."

-Friedrich Nietzsche

0000banner-accommodation.png

• Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nate looked ta Red Cat wit a knowin look. "Oh aye. . . . a faster course ta Port Royal. . . . I sees it plainly now." Nate cocked his head to th side as if he were listenin ta someone above him, which he was. Nate nodded and brought his head level. "I tink ye were lookin fer somthin more than a better passage ta nother port. . . . Somthin a bit more, substantial. . . . Not that I blame yer. Finders keepers , aye?" Nate grinned at the spaniards and at Red Cat, givin her a wink.

~Black Nate~

Brenpen185.jpg

A ship in a puddle is better than no ship at all

Dear Saint Brendan, to mention your name is to recall much travelling.

It was in relation to voyages that you emerged as a popular Saint.

The Irish became great travelers thus spreading their faith everywhere.

Protect not only mariners but also all those who go down to the sea in ships. Amen.

MacTavish, caught between two ships, seethed with anger, but had to admit he was powerless to do much more than grind his teeth. It did not help that the Spaniards were now aboard the small sloop, safe and sound. Time, he thought, to cut his losses and get back on course.

He cupped his hands around his mouth and shouted to the captain of the other brig, "I'll up anchor and be aboot mae business. Nae guns. Nae need tae block mae way. Agreed?"

Before the other captain could answer, MacTavish turned to his first mate. "Stow the guns, and get this bluidy ship out o' here, afore I puke, being sae riled. But I'll nae forget the names o' these two sea hounds." And he committed the names Relentless and Rakehell to his prodigious, and vengeful-prone memory.

...schooners, islands, and maroons

and buccaneers and buried gold...

RAKEHELL-1.jpg

You can do everything right, strictly according to procedure, on the ocean, and it'll still kill you. But if you're a good navigator, a least you'll know where you were when you died.......From The Ship Killer by Justin Scott.

"Well, that's just maddeningly unhelpful."....Captain Jack Sparrow

Found in the Ruins — Unique Jewelry

Found in the Ruins — Personal Blog

"We best let this one pass, sir." Stones muttered.

I nodded, "Aye, hoist the anchor, an let's stay clear o' this one's wake. I don't suppose we'll be so lucky next time, if our paths should cross again."

"I wonder how the Cat an Nate are fairin' wit their new shipmates," I said, wit a bit o' disdain.

Colard watched MacTavish and the Pride of Flodden sail away, heading West. "Weel, that's a wee bit of a surprise," he said to the captain, who was standing beside him.

"Why do you say that? He was outgunned," she replied.

"MacTavish isna one for running from a fight. Ye best hope we don't come across his ship again. He isna the forgiving type, and we've caused him tae lose face in front of his crewe."

Ransom let her gaze linger on the retreating ship. "If he's in the same business we are, then we're bound to run into him again eventually. There aren't that many safe ports for the likes of us."

"And, just what are we? Ye've never really explained." Colard had a good idea of what business the Rakehell was usually about, but wanted to hear it from the captain.

She turned to face him, a benevolent smile curling her lips. "Us? Why, we're just traders, Mr. Dysart."

He looked into those steely-blue eyes, nodded, and replied, "That's what I thought."

Edited by Colard Dysart

Then they to the tavern house

with meikle oly prance

One spoke with wordis wonder crouse

A done with mischance!

I would die where I would dine

In tavern to recline

Then would angels pray the glibber

God have mercy for this bibber.

• 2 weeks later...

Nate waited some for Tomas ta respond, but before he could he noticed th' Flodden setting sail an' headin' Westerly. "Lookee there! We best set all sail wit our rudder to em, aye? Come on ye lot, shift yer arses an' help make our heading, wot. . . . Due East!" Nate ehaded ta th tiller an pushed off th snubline an pushed it over ta change their heading. As the Spaniards were movin slow, ol Nate hoped ta put some sped in their movements. "Quickly now! Ya don't want that brig ta come up on us an' send us ta th deep do ya? Father won't be happy if ya thwart His plan ta keep ye on this earth a wee bit longer!"

~Black Nate~

Brenpen185.jpg

Protect not only mariners but also all those who go down to the sea in ships. Amen.

Colard's question about our business had reminded me that we hadn't done much business lately. Actually, none at all, since leaving on the dubious voyage. We hadn't done any trading to speak of in Havana, or at least none that I was aware of. What Jacky had arranged with his Spanish contacts, was anybody's guess.

"You know, Mr. Dysart, I wouldn't mind doing a little bit of harmless trading. Might be a change from all the strange doings we've been involved with lately.

He looked at me warily. "And, just what would we trade, Ma'am, if ye dinna mind me asking?"

"Maybe I'll trade Goose for a nice new pair of boots."

"The poor soul who gets Goose would be the loser in that transaction."

"True. What do you suggest, Mr. Dysart. You've been uncommonly silent since leaving Havana." I was curious as to just what he might have in mind. Didn't mean I would take his advise.

He gave me a crooked grin. "Ah, nae ye don't Ma'am. Ye'll nae trick me that easy."

I smiled back at him. "Smart man." Then I looked over at the Relentless, and wondered if Jacky was ready to leave this little grouping of sand spits, and do some real trading...or whatever else he had in that tricksy mind of his. "Well, Mr. Dysart, now that our visitor has pulled up anchor and gone, let's wait and see what the Commodore has in mind for us next."

Colard nodded, then replied, "Weel, if the last weeks hae been any indication, at least we'll nae be bored."

I laughed out loud. "No, Mr. Dysart, life with Jacky in never boring. Exasperating, but never boring."

RAKEHELL-1.jpg

You can do everything right, strictly according to procedure, on the ocean, and it'll still kill you. But if you're a good navigator, a least you'll know where you were when you died.......From The Ship Killer by Justin Scott.

Tomas was too busy watching the macadam of dance steps to reply to his new shipmates. Each ship had turned about and Tomas pronounced a grave pose on each. Apparently, his immediate career was to get them away from The Flodden. While death was not in the Spaniard's dealt hand currently, his best motion was to appease his 'Captain' to scurry them along. 't was his ship after all. "Phonse, prepare to unleash all sail."

"For art to exist, for any sort of aesthetic activity to exist, a certain physiological precondition is indispensable: intoxication."

-Friedrich Nietzsche

• 1 month later...

Nate kept his eyes on th Flodden an the Spanish aboard the little sloop. Looking like he were warchin s tennis match with all the wippin o his head back n forth. Long as the brig kept to her course in the opposite direction Nate was happy. Red Cat looked ta be calmin too an ol' Nate gave her a wink.

~Black Nate~

Brenpen185.jpg

Cat raised her flintlock an pushed her hat back some wit th' buisness end o' it. She grinned openly settlin against th' larboard rail. Laughing Red Cat shook her head at Nate an his antics which somehow did seem ta be blesssed wit' some mighty fine luck. "An ta think Mr. Durant...there ye was floatin by in tha' wee raft o' wreckage.." he just grinned wider an' she laughed agin. The canvas dropped an snapped an th' wind caught th' little sloop up and propelled her across th' waves at a fine pace.

Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help....

Her reputation was her livelihood.

I'm a pirate, love. By nature and by choice!

My inner voice sometimes has an accent!

My wont? A delicious rip in time...

I watched the Flodden sail away, still not sure she wouldn't circle around and pay us another visit. I turned to Colard, who had also been keeping his old eyes glued to the other vessel, and asked, "You think MacTavish is gone for good?"

"I nae ken," he replied, turning to face me. "But as I said, ye've stung him in front of his crewe, and he'll nae take that lightly."

Great, I thought. Bad enough we had the Spaniards on our tail, now we had to worry about a mad Scott. Then I saw the sails of the little sloop belly out in the wind, bringing the vessel toward us. "Well," I sighed, "we may lose a mad Scott, but it appears we're to regain a crazy Irishman."

Colard just shrugged and went off to his duties.

RAKEHELL-1.jpg

Tomas felt uneasy as the sloop slid across the waves. "Are we headed aboard el buque de guerra?" he asked pointing towards the nearest ship with cannon run out. He wished to stay aboard his vessel as long as possible, even to possibly join this miniature fleet in travel. Looking back over his shoulder, Tomas would have to note the location of this small island to return for the lost treasure.

-Friedrich Nietzsche

• 2 weeks later...

"These waters are gettin' a bit crowded if'n anyone were t' ask me," I muttered.

"Trust me no one's asking you," Stones snarled.

Mister Tar had out his spy glass, an was intensely watchin' the departin' ship; deaf I thought t' my concerns.

"Smithe!" Mister Tar, shouted. "Maybe ye'll find it less crowded below. Prepare t' join Jonesy on a dive back down t' the wreck, an recover more o' those gold bars!"

"Aye sire, a swim may be just what I need, an nothin' lifts my spirits like gold!" I sez.

"I thought it might," Mister Tar replied.

"Step aside lads," I growled as I pushed me way midships. "We're losin' daylight, an there's gold t' be had."

Tomas and the small crew were rapidly making their way towards one of the two vessels. The nearest of the two still had her guns run out and all hands on deck. "¿Tener amigos influyentes?," asked Tomas, "I hope you two have friends in high places." The Spaniard grinned, but Phonse looked apprehensive as they rapidly approached the warship.

-Friedrich Nietzsche

I saw the sloop vere toward the Relentless and grinned. So, I thought, it appears Jacky is going to gain the crazy Irishman, along with a few Spaniards as well. That should bring a little sunshine into his day.

Turning to Africa, who still had a scowl on his face, I said, "Just keep tabs on the Relentless. Go where she goes."

"How long we play at dis game?" he groused.

"Until I say we quit," I replied, leveling a hard gaze at him.

Reaching for the little bag of corpse powder hanging from a grubby red ribbon around his neck, Africa shot back, "Dat man goin' to bring death to us."

"Death comes to everyone, sooner or later. You start fearing it at every turn, and you're no longer any use to me."

We stood silent a moment, his black eyes boring into mine, his anger shimmering around him like heat waves. Then he spoke, soft and deadly. "I owe you my life, and I gladly give mine for yours to appease the spirits dat brought you to me. But the spirits also say Dat Man a danger to this boat, and it not right dat you make fun. Dey make us pay big price, in dere own time."

I gave him a smile. "Well, when the time comes to pay up, we should have a fat hold full of gold to make things square. I say we give them one percent, should they demand appeasement. It will come out of your share, just so they know who did the appeasing."

RAKEHELL-1.jpg

A quick glance ov'r at the Rakehell, wit' the spyglass, told me Ransom was givin' her first mate another tongue lashin'. I lowered the glass, an quipped t' Stones, "Ye suppose that first mate on the Rakehell, knows he's bigger than her?"

Stones replied dryly, "He was probably taller 'fore he signed on, sir."

"Yer probably right, I believe I was a head taller 'fore I met her," I mumbled, an turned t' see Stones stifle a laugh.

"Dillard!" I shouted, "I need some bait t' catch me a white tip!"

Tomas looked to the warship, then to the woman behind him, then to the Irishman, then back to the warship. The Spaniard was certain they were on course to ram the brig. Quite unsure of what to do, he held his breath and put his hand where his cutlass should have been. He scowled and then reached for his pistol; it wasn't there either. Tomas could disarm the woman, but at what cost would the irishman put hot steel into Tomas' side. "Damn," he sighed and slumped back to the rail.

-Friedrich Nietzsche

MacTavish sailed the Pride of Flodden West until the group of ships was out of sight. By evening, he turned to his helmsman and barked, "Nae more tae the West. Take her back around East."

The helmsman gave his superior a questioning glance. "East?"

"Are ye deef! Didna I say East, ye ninny."

"Aye, sir. East it is. But...why?"

MacTavish gave his man an evil grin. "Because I smell gold, and I've a quick nose for it. We'll tarry behind them, and keep an eye out. When they've finished with their business, we'll pay them another wee visit."

The helmsman was smart enough not to ask further questions as the Flodden tacked around and headed back to the Dry Tortugas.

RAKEHELL-1.jpg

Ol' Nate steered the sloop alongside the Relentless and snapped off a quick and exaggerated salute to the commodore before smartly turning the quick little ship about, catching the wind on the opposite tack and heading away from her. Nate knew it threw his shipmates for a loop and caused the Spaniards ta duck as the boom swung across the deck as they turned about. All Nate could do is grin wildly as he sailed them closer to the Rakehell.

~Black Nate~

Brenpen185.jpg

"Oh dear," I muttered. "It appears we're to get the crazy Irishman after all. And his new Spanish friends." I waited for the sloop to come within hailing distance, wondering just what Nate had in mind. I doubted he'd come back on board, now that he was captain of his own ship, and I didn't want the Spaniards, as Africa would probably gut them in their sleep.

As the grinning Irishman came closer, I called out, "So, Nate, what's your plan?"

RAKEHELL-1.jpg

As ol' Nate came close, capin Ransom hailed him, to which he called back, "Plan? Ya mean ta say you an th commodore had a plan? Weeeelll. . . . Permission ta have a gam, Capin! We need ta sort out a proper plan o action! Father says we ain't yet done wit th Flodden. Now, He ain't sayin a when er where we'll encounter her again, but we ain't seen th last o her. . . ." Nate steered the sloop closer to the Rakehell, but not so close until permission were granted to bump alomg side.

~Black Nate~

Brenpen185.jpg

I was more than a little curious as to what Nate had in mind. Smiling, I called down to him, "Well, bring your new acquisition alongside,and we'll sit down to tea. But if you put a scratch on the Rakehells hull, you'll pay for it with your hide."

RAKEHELL-1.jpg

"I wish the captain didn't use my name and bait in the same breath." Mister Dillard, said wit' a sigh.

"Ye don't suppose he was implyin' ye should offer yer self up as bait?" I chuckled.

"No, however I could order another seaman into the water, to distract that white tip." He snapped at me, 'fore he headed below decks.

Colard watched the sloop come along side, happy to see that young Nate and his companion seemed no worse for their adventure. The one called Red Cat had apparently survived her ordeal with little hurt to her person, as she looked hale and hearty. Colard could not say the same for the Spaniards, who glared up at the crewe of the Rakehell, and mumbled among themselves.

Peering at them closer, Colard studied each face, trying to decided if he'd ever seen any of them before. But although he'd spent many years trapped in Havana, none of the Spaniards on board the sloop looked familiar.

As young Nate climbed on board, Colard gave him a slap on the back. "Welcome back, son. I see ye saved yon missy. But, if ye could hae left yon Spaniards on that wee spit o sand, everyone would hae been a bit happier."

Then they to the tavern house

with meikle oly prance

One spoke with wordis wonder crouse

A done with mischance!

I would die where I would dine

In tavern to recline

Then would angels pray the glibber

God have mercy for this bibber.

Nate had grabbed up the ships logbook as he headed aboard the Rakehell and nearly dropped it as Colard slapped him on the back. When the old salt said it would have been better ta leave th Spaniards on the atol, Nate frowned. "Mind your tongue Mister Dysart! Father wouldn't stand fer it! Twould be too cruel a fate ta have left em fer certain death at th hands o those others! Sides, they be a valuable asset, I tink. . . . Jus cause they be Spanish, don't mean they be bad. Father would a not wanted us ta rescue em had they had black hearts n souls." Nate gave Colard a wink an gentle smack on his shoulder before he turned ta head ta see th capin. As Nate were crossin th deck, he spied some of the crew headin towards em, Nate supposed ta give em a welcome back.

~Black Nate~

Brenpen185.jpg