The Pirate Hunter's Smarter Brother!

Inigo Montoya

"Oi!" I shouted at a passing sailor, "Does your captain now starve prisoners aboard this ship?"

"Nay! He snarled, "We serves 'em up t' the sharks, t' see who's hungrier."

"Aye, I could do with a bit of shark meat," I muttered.

I spied Dillard with some spoils from the bilge, and asked the same question.

"I'll ask Smithe to fetch you something to eat from the galley," he said, as he hastily retreated to the main deck.

Edited by Spoons

• Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I considered what Nate had said, then replied, "Well, if you've a mind to sail for Bermuda, then you've got a fine little ship and enough crew to do so. However, currently my job is watching the Commodor's back until he decides to leave the Tortugas, especially as I don't think the Flodden has forgotten about us. As for Roberts, well, I'll deal with him, unless, of course, you'd like to take him with you?"

...schooners, islands, and maroons

and buccaneers and buried gold...

RAKEHELL-1.jpg

You can do everything right, strictly according to procedure, on the ocean, and it'll still kill you. But if you're a good navigator, a least you'll know where you were when you died.......From The Ship Killer by Justin Scott.

"Well, that's just maddeningly unhelpful."....Captain Jack Sparrow

Found in the Ruins — Unique Jewelry

Found in the Ruins — Personal Blog

Tomas sat on the rail and folded his arms. It wasn't the first time he had had a pistol in his face nor would it be the last. He sighed loudly and began to tap his foot impatiently on the deck. Tomas looked back into the sloop. "¿Qué es Señor Guerrero?" asked Phonse. "You no se," huffed the Spaniard.

"For art to exist, for any sort of aesthetic activity to exist, a certain physiological precondition is indispensable: intoxication."

-Friedrich Nietzsche

0000banner-accommodation.png

I waited, and waited, when finally Smithe appeared with something from the galley, as was promised.

"Good lad," I said, as I reached for the food set in front of my new quarters. "What's all this banter 'bout sharks?" I asked, but I didn't wait for an answer.

"Does Mister Tar, have you diving in shark infested waters for a few bits of treasure? Which he intends to trade for more of that water, he's always going on about!"

"Ever tasted that water? Nasty brackish stuff," I said, as greedily swallowed my meager meal.

Running my sleeve across my mouth, I added, "Seems a sensible man would go to the source of that water and take all he wants, and keep the gold."

I watched Smithe scowl, as he walked away. He glanced back over his shoulder, as if he wanted to say something, but he just kept walking. I snickered, "Poor Smithe, empty pockets and he's never been offered that water. He'll be back."

Momentarily and over a third glass o' spirits, Red Cat forgot about Roberts. R' decided ta..

She fixed her eyes upon Ransom. "I don think ol' Jacky's too hot t' leave these here waters. I agree th' Flodden's not t' be trusted..I'd lay tha she's not far off an waitin til any gold is brought forth." CAt rubbed th' edge o' th glass thoughtfully "They likely figger we'll do away wit each other over th' treasure an make the takin that much easier once our numberes are less. Sail back in an steal off wit the bulk o' it....An one o' these ships." She looked about for agreement or concurrence on th faces of th' others. "Now Nate 'ere has a point 'bout "Bermuda..but we need ta have a parlay tween us 'n Jacky. We're safer in numbers no matter th' port aye?."

Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help....

Her reputation was her livelihood.

I'm a pirate, love. By nature and by choice!

My inner voice sometimes has an accent!

My wont? A delicious rip in time...

"Oi, I smell like a fishmonger," I grumbled, as liquid from the fish carcass seeped into my clothing.

As Smithe came along side me, he remarked, "Sire, I think that smell would offend the senses o' any self-respecting fishmonger."

The fish was putrid and should have been thrown over board days ago.

"Well lets hope it doesn't offend the senses of that shark," I gasped, as nausea swept over me.

MacTavish peered through the glass, watching the horizon for signs of the three ships. He played a dangerous game, for in order for him to see them, they would be able to see him. He really didn't want them to know he was still loitering around, waiting to pounce.

"Sir?" the first mate timidly approached.

"What?" MacTavish barked.

"Well, sir, the cook has just informed me that the goat died, and the pig looks poorly. He was wonderin' when we would be headin' back to port, seeing as how we got no chickens left either."

"Why are ye bothering me with this niggling drivel? Butcher the pig and toss the goat carcass overboard. I'll nae have the thing stinking up the hold any worse than it already is."

"Well, sir, the goat has already been tossed over the side, but the cook don't want to risk eatin' the pig, as it looks to have rickets, or somethin' worse. Hard to tell, with pigs."

MacTavish turned, his face flushed with anger. "You tell yon cook that if he doesna butcher the pig, he'll go over the side tae join the goat!"

The first mate knuckled his forehead and dashed away. MacTavish went back to peering through the glass. "Bluidy imbeciles," he muttered.

RAKEHELL-1.jpg

You can do everything right, strictly according to procedure, on the ocean, and it'll still kill you. But if you're a good navigator, a least you'll know where you were when you died.......From The Ship Killer by Justin Scott.

Tomas rapped gently on the side of the hull until he could see Phonse look up. He swept his hand in a motion as if to unhook the sloop from the chains and shove off. The fat man nodded and moved slowly to the bow. The Spaniard shifted uneasily on the rail. While the pistol was still trained on him, the man behind the trigger had become somewhat lax and the barrel now drooped, aiming slightly lower than Tomas' chest. He gauged the time it would take him to slip over the side and far enough away so that the lead would not find it's mark, unless the mark was dead in the rail. Tomas now waited until Phonse had completed his task.

"For art to exist, for any sort of aesthetic activity to exist, a certain physiological precondition is indispensable: intoxication."

-Friedrich Nietzsche

Nate looked heavenward and cocked an ear. "Aye Father, I knows it." Nate looked at the two in the room wit him and nodded. "Ain't a need ta go runnin off like out tail be on fire now. . . . Cat's right, be better off tgether then separate. A parlay wi th commodore, good plan." Nate made as if to leave, gestured to the door like he were askin if they be headed back on deck ta see about wot might be.

~Black Nate~

Brenpen185.jpg

A ship in a puddle is better than no ship at all

Dear Saint Brendan, to mention your name is to recall much travelling.

It was in relation to voyages that you emerged as a popular Saint.

The Irish became great travelers thus spreading their faith everywhere.

Protect not only mariners but also all those who go down to the sea in ships. Amen.

This was the answer I had been hoping for, so readily agreed. "Right, then. We'll give the commodore a hail, and see what he has to say. In the meantime, ol' Roberts stays in irons and under guard until we decide what to do with him."

I opened the door of my cramped cabin, then paused, "Oh, and, what do you intend to do with your Spaniards, Nate?" I winked. "Or are they your new crewe? If so, you better let Colard teach you a bit of Spanish. That is, if you don't mind speaking it with a heavy Scot accent."

With a final chuckle, I went up on deck, where Colard and Jimmy still held their pistols on the captives. With a nod to Colard I asked, "Still being polite, are they?"

"Sae far, Ma'am. But I wouldna trust them sae far as I could toss them."

"Nor would I." I then walked to the rail and shouted at the Relentless. "Oi, Jacky. We need to talk!"

RAKEHELL-1.jpg

Being one never t' waste time or words, Ransom passed Cat and Nate in the tight quarters, an' with a swish of coat tails was gone to her command. Cat moved only her eyes, focusin them on th' Sailor. Anger turned briefly to a merry twinkle and she shook her head chuckling softly. Nate had not moved to give the Cap'n more room t' pass. She knew he'd not done it out of disprespect fer he was a right sailor, but he'd taken th' liberty..an th' risk in orer to drag her from her black mood."She'll see ye fer tha" she chuckled. Red Cat shook her head agin, reached upwards towards th beam unner th' deck an stretched. She sighed heavily. "Nate...I dunna know if ye has had too much sea water, r' too much time unner ol' Sol on tha raft..but .." She was at a loss for where t' go from there. Cat loved Roberts dearly, she'd owed him th' debt o' her life and they'd shared many an ale an adventure. But had become so enraged at th' though o' his sensless shootin...she'd a killed him where he stood if things hadn't changed. Generally if it were t' appear senseless..atween th' two o' em it were more likely her t' go off half cocked. Hell JAcky were allus yellin at her t' stop wavin pistols about. But..she'd never killed witout a reason. Shot a man in th foot mebbe, left a few scratches...but.. Cat squoze her eyes shut an wiped 'em wiith her sleeve. She'd have t' talk t' Roberts..while he was in irons would be best. He warn't the soul he were without livin up to his reputation and there had been rare times she'd only been on th' edge o' trust with him.

Nate narrowed his eyes at Red Cat as she seemed in a quandry about summin he weren't understandin. "Oi, lets have a run up topside an see wot we gonna do wit our ship. We gonna keep them spanish as crew and see who else will come aboard? If Roberts promises not ta shoot me agin, I'll make an accord n' take im along this time." Nate grinned some and again gestured to the way on deck. Nate had an itch fer bein back in th open right now an was hopin the Cat would lead th way before he had ta scratch that itch and go up leavin her below.

~Black Nate~

Brenpen185.jpg

Protect not only mariners but also all those who go down to the sea in ships. Amen.

Red Cat sighed, released th' beam an swept an arm towards th' door. "after ye Mr. Durant" relieved, he headed topside an they appeared back in th' sunlight. The two took in th' scene wit hands shadin eyes as the sun had become quite bright on th' water. But summin was amiss..

As soon as Colard had answered the captain, Jimmy spoke up, wagging his pistol in the Spaniard's direction. "Do they seem a bit..I dunno, tricksy to you?"

Colard regarded the prisoners. "Nae more than usual, fer Spaniards. If there's one thing I did learn during mae days in Havana, is that ye should never trust a Spaniard, especially if ye be English or Scott!"

Jimmy scratched his thatch of sun-bleached brown hair. "Then, what's the captain gonna do with um?"

Glancing at the captain, who had just hailed the Relentless, Colard replied with a grin, "I would never try tae ken what that woman has on her mind, but I've nae worry that she'll think o' somethin'."

Jimmy grinned back. "That's the truth, and I doubt it'll be something those poor devils will like."

As Nate and Red Cat came up on deck, Colard replied, "And I doubt weel hae tae wait too long tae find out."

Edited by Colard Dysart

Then they to the tavern house

with meikle oly prance

One spoke with wordis wonder crouse

A done with mischance!

I would die where I would dine

In tavern to recline

Then would angels pray the glibber

God have mercy for this bibber.

Tomas saw the men holding weapons against him regain their interest. The Spaniard tried to wave Phonse off from their plan. Phonse did not understand and tripped as he backed towards the Esperanza's bow. Landing on the chains, he created more noise than Tomas had wished. They came running to the side of the vessel Tomas now sat on. He merely rolled his eyes and wondered why he kept Phonse on his payroll. "You there," the closest man called to Phonse, "welcome aboard." Several weapons were leveled towards Phonse as he lightly soiled himself. Tomas smacked his forehead loudly with his palm.

-Friedrich Nietzsche

Red Cat had rushed to th' side wit'th others..she'd half expected t' see Roberts emerged from one o' th' gun ports an escapin down th' ladder.

She chuckled an' turned towards Nate who was jes makin his way over fer a look. She muttered t'no one in particuler.. "T'aint a wunner they found themsleves on tha sand spit..tis a wunner they got thus far" She looked about to see wot would become o' their unlikely crew an wether th' one wot called himself Tomas would betray his mate.

Nate did no more but to nod at Red Cat an try ta hide an amused smile. Nate loked at th men holdin pistols at those on his ship and waved em off. "Tis aright now, lay off there. Ugh. Jimmy? Aye? Would ye do me th kindness an fetch a bucket er two an fill em over th side? That one there gonna need dowsed er some such ta clean im up. Tank ye lad." Nate steped over an slipped over the rail an onto the sloop, gave capin Ransom a grin an salute. "Cat n I gonna need a couple hands more ta keep these men in order an ave a fine sail. As I said ta Cat, if Roberts promises not ta try n shoot ol' Nate agin, We'll take im aboard." Nate rubbed to bruise on his chest again, makin sure it were visible ta those lookin his way. Nate walked to the stern an rested one hand on th tiller an th other on a pistol in his belt.

~Black Nate~

Brenpen185.jpg

I turned to Nate, and cocked an eye. "Well, you're more than welcome to Roberts if you want him. I've no other men to spare. But as for Jimmy taking orders from you, that's another thing entirely." I noticed Jimmy, who knew which side his bread was buttered on, hadn't moved to fetch a bucket. "No, I'm thinking that as penance for flying off the handle, creating a ruckus, and almost killing an innocent man, that Ol' Roberts should be the one to do the bucket toting. Although," I gestured at the odorous Spaniard, "it might be easier to just chuck the poor bastard overboard and give him a proper cleaning."

I signaled to Tunny. "Unlock Roberts and tell him he's to bring up a bucket. He can sluice the Spaniard down with sea water. After that, make sure he boards this fine vessel with Nate and Cat, whether he wants to or not, as he's no longer welcome on the Rakehell.

Tunny smiled, then headed below.

Leaning casually over the rail and looking at the sloop and her strange crewe, I said, "Does that suit you, CAPTAIN Nate?"

RAKEHELL-1.jpg

Nate cocked an eye back at capin Ransom, n chuckled a might nervously. "Whooosh capin, no need ta get all prickly. . . . I were askin Jimmy a kindness ta fetch a bucket. Don't be mindin me now, Wit Roberts we'll make due, won't put a foot back aboard th Rakehell witout yer permission, capin. Best get all aboard now, Want I ta go see if I can raise th commodore since he don't seem ta wanna have a talkin wit ye? At yer service Ma'am, quicker we find out wot wot th commodore be a wantin, th quicker we set sail fer better waters." Nate took off his battered hat an held out, waitin ta see wot was ta be th next move. seemed ta him even capin Ransom were gettin nervous as th crew. He weren't really sure wot all was rattlin everyone, cept maybe th sharks, but keepin' outta th water kept that problem at bay.

~Black Nate~

Brenpen185.jpg

"Prickly, Nate? Why, I am a festival of congeniality. You will find, however, should you keep your captainancy long, that you quickly learn who to trust, and who not to trust. You will also learn that the loyalty of your crewe is essential, and is earned. Jimmy knows that, as do all the rest of the Rakehells. No insult intended."

Roberts came up on deck, his hands free, and carrying a bucket. He looked bemused, as if he still wasn't really aware of what had happened.

"Roberts, you are under the command of the crazy Irishman now. I wish you luck. But your presence is no longer appreciated on board the Rakehell."

Then I signaled that Colard and Jimmy could put their pistols away. They seemed relieved to do so. I addressed Jimmy, who had a loud and lusty voice. "Climb to the fighting top and give the Relentless a hail. Apparently my voice isn't expressing the urgency of the matter."

Jimmy, quick as could be, climbed to the fighting top as ordered, and in a voice loud enough to raise the dead, called to Jacky's ship.

"That should get the Commodore's attention," I replied, and waited for Jacky to blow his top and wonder what the hell was going on. After all, he hadn't bothered to ask what all the gunfire was about, so I was feeling a little miffed.

RAKEHELL-1.jpg

"Mister Tar!" I shouted. "We are being hailed by the Rakehell, again."

"Give them a few minutes, an they'll be wavein' us off, again." He replied, "I'm sure it has somethin' t' do wit' that crazy Irishman, anyway."

"Mayhaps we should weigh anchor and move a bit closer to the Rakehell," I offered.

"I hav a better idea. Get that fish carcass off my ship; so, we can spear that shark. Unless ye'd rather swim over t' the Rakehell an tell them wot we're about."

I weighed the choices I'd been offered, and chose to help spear the shark, rather then join him in the water.

When it became obvious that Jacky was ignoring us, I walked to the rail and looked over to see what the delay was. It appeared Dillard was in the process of pitching a large dead fish over the side. "Hmm, chumming?" I muttered, then saw the dark shape of the shark just under the surface of the water. "Bloody hell!" Understanding the situation, I called to Nate. "Better keep an eye on your crewe and that bucket Roberts has in the water. We got company." I pointed at the shark, who was circling among the three ships. "Jolly boats in the water right about now probably isn't a good idea either. We'll hold our confab after Jacky takes care of Mr. Ugly."

RAKEHELL-1.jpg

By the time Tomas had climbed back down to his ship, the smell of Phonse had hung on the deck of the sloop like an acrid fog. He made Phonse stand well to leeward, in the bow, until the proper arrangements could be made to retrieve new slops from below. They were still hooked to the the chains and bobbed alongside the larger ship. A call to the other ship was made, but no answer was heard. The Spaniard was getting restless and he wished to be clear of this place. He walked slowly to the stern and leaned on the taffrail far enough from Phonse that the piss-stench would not overwhelm him. Roberto joined him, finally well enough to stand on his own. "Orders Capitan?" the former slave asked. "Appears that you may have to ask that man Roberto," stated Tomas as nodded towards the Irishman climbing into the sloop.

-Friedrich Nietzsche

"That white tip shark has taken more than a passin' interest in that spoiled fish, hey Mister Dillard?" Dillard was too busy tryin' t' keep his footin', in the small boat, t' respond.

I pointed at the smaller sharks that were approachin' the launch, "Seems the reef sharks want their share as well." It was at that very moment the larger shark struck the side o' the boat, which sent Mister Dillard sprawlin' on all fours.

I managed t' sink a short lance in t' a nearby reef shark, then the frenzy began in earnest. "Seems the little ones don't mind eatin' each other!" I remarked, as I helped Mister Dillard back t' his feet.

"Wot say we gig the big one, and see if the reef sharks have an appetite for white tip?" Dillard stammered.

"Aye, then we can climb back aboard the ship, an watch the reef sharks finish 'em from a safer distance," I offered.

The reef shark's blood was spillin' into the water; the smaller shark couldn't out swim his shark brethren fer long, wit' that lance in his side.

No doubt the reef shark's struggle caught the attention o' the large white tip, too. Once again the white tip was headed toward our little boat and this time t' my surprise it was Mister Dillard that speared a shark. The white tip began splashin' about, but the lance was deep in his back, then his blood joined the reef sharks' in the water.

The white tip would soon pass from predator t' prey an indeed the remainin' reef sharks had an appetite fer white tip.

Tomas had begun to tire; tire of the wait, tire of the indecision, and tire of his situation. He thought to go below and rummage through his things to find his pistols, no maybe a musket, yes, yes that will speed things along nicely. The Spaniard stood from the rail and walked down the few steps. There was a commotion in the water that drew the attention of those on deck away from the Esperanza. Tomas creeped to the hatchway hoping no one would notice.

-Friedrich Nietzsche