The Pirate Hunter's Smarter Brother!

Inigo Montoya

Roberts watched from close by ..resolutely. He let the others pass 'im as they headed towards the newcomers aboard.

His feet hurt. He was angry an pent up like a hungry dog behind a fence. Roberts was a man of action. All this lollygagging about...no prize..no rum..no fight. It was preposterous to him. All this posturing, running out of guns and making so many threats. E'd been ready to fight and his blood was up. E'd been hungry for wotever Jacky Tar was riskin his men fer. Gold, treasure...th only ones that were slaked were th' sharks.

An fer th Pride O' Flodden t' up an sail away with Spaniards on th beach, gold in th water an at least two prizes to be had...th' back of his neck tingled. All the supernatural happenins that the big moor spoke of..the odd smells and unexpainable things such as this..

Black Nate was now reappeared on th' Rakehell's deck an Roberts in his superstition had gone t' wonderin as he had now n' then if th' man were just a crazy Irish sailor with extroadinary luck, or if he were some sort o' changeling amidst 'em.

Roberts face grew dark as he mulled over th' fact that th only prize of a ship had been somehow taken by Nate..who saw fit to take Cat as well..an she..hadnt seemed t' give a fig fer wot happened t' him since dissapearin so many days ago.

The big pirates nerves were frayed t' th' last. So in th midst of so much frustratin lack of sense 'e did th' one thing that made sense at that moment. Roberts drew his pistol an shot Nate.

Edited by Roberts

Wine, women, coin n song.

Equal shares of each says I!

• Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Time stopped fer a moment....

Red Cat had just made th' deck from th' ladder in time t' see Roberts take aim. Sh opened 'er mouth t' shout but th' noise was drowned out by th' crack of a pistol. Nate staggered backwards th' grin still on his face an fell back upon th' deck. Cat's eyes grew huge an she reaced towards Roberts throwin her full weight agin' th' man an pushed him towards th' mast she held her pistol t' his temple an spake him t' say his prayers if he'd actually harmed Nate.

Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help....

Her reputation was her livelihood.

I'm a pirate, love. By nature and by choice!

My inner voice sometimes has an accent!

My wont? A delicious rip in time...

Johnathan Roberts had been threatened by Red Cat before...many times for that matter..he tried t' sputter out a reply..that he warn't gonna kill th' lad.. Roberts had reasoned if Nate were real..he'd bleed like a man..an if not..they'd all bear witness..

He'd aimed fer a good wound t' put th man in 'is place..but not ta be fatal.

After all Captain Ransom had said..."If that bloody Irishman comes near this ship again, you have my permission to shoot him. IS THAT CLEAR?"

But th' rage in her were all too real an Roberts was now fearful that he'd be th' victim of his own actions. He regained his balance enough t' attempt t' throw her off him an pistol shot be dammed...wot were one more scar more r' less? But th' pistol remained jammed just below 'is jaw bone an Cat were shakin with rage. Suddenly he was released as a crewman among the frozen crowd spoke. "He's dead...jus like 'at"

Roberts blinked an look fer himself. Nate lay still as stone..

Edited by Roberts

Wine, women, coin n song.

Equal shares of each says I!

All had fallen silent once the last syllable fell on th' still of th' deck seemin t' take th' air wit it.

Red cat whirled from her grasp on Roberts sure she'd see Nate sit up. But he lay there..she rushed t' his side, an her eyes welled as she searched him fer signs o' life..Careless fer her own safety anymore, she thew down th' pistol an leaned in close t' Black Nate. There were maybe three people in th' whole world that Cat ever trusted..an Nate had become a fourth.

Her mind went blank between fury an'confusion. Why would Roberts kill Nate? Wot were posessin all o' em? "Nate..." she whispered so very quietly fearful that no response would ever come.

Robert's actions stunned us all. Nate lay seemingly dead on the deck, and Red Cat frantically tried to call him back to life. With a molten rage, I turned on Roberts.

"What the bloody hell did you do that for? Are you insane, man? I'd just invited him on board. Who the devil do you think you are to take matters into your own hands on MY ship!"

I spun around, and yelled to my quartermaster, "Africa! Take that man and bind him, before he shoots someone else. Jimmy, Tunny, help hold him and take his weapons. Quick now!"

The men did as I asked, and before Roberts could blink, he was bound and disarmed, and none too gently. When I was sure the man was secure, I turned my attention to Nate. "Cat, does he yet breathe?" She was too intent on the lifeless form.

Then Colard was kneeling down beside her, his practiced hands feeling for a pulse. With brows pinched with worry, he turned to me. "Aye, he's still got a wee bit o' life in him, but nae sae much. Is there nae a sawbones on either of these ships, for I fear young Nate is in dire need o' one."

...schooners, islands, and maroons

and buccaneers and buried gold...

RAKEHELL-1.jpg

You can do everything right, strictly according to procedure, on the ocean, and it'll still kill you. But if you're a good navigator, a least you'll know where you were when you died.......From The Ship Killer by Justin Scott.

"Well, that's just maddeningly unhelpful."....Captain Jack Sparrow

Found in the Ruins — Unique Jewelry

Found in the Ruins — Personal Blog

Wot we would later find out was a pistol shot, caused every man on deck t' turn his attention in the direction o' the Rakehell.

"One shot?" I spun about, almost losin' me footing. "Bloody hell! Doesn't look like a melee." I remarked, while gazin' through the spyglass.

Scannin' the faces on the deck o' the Rakehell, I breathed a sigh o' relief, when I spotted her red head captain amongst those standin'.

One moment Nate was standin on th deck o th Rakehell, the next a shot boomed out an he felt somethin smash inta his chest and all he saw was sky then blackness. Nate's mind swam with images of his past mixed wit sounds of the present. There were hollerin an whispers together. All Nate could think was 'Father, I knows we need ta have a good long talk about wot be an wot ain't. . . . Do it gots ta be now? Tings was jus gettin good!' Nate hped to hear what Father had ta say, but there was so much noise he couldn't understand. All he could see was a bright, bright light.

~Black Nate~

Brenpen185.jpg

A ship in a puddle is better than no ship at all

Dear Saint Brendan, to mention your name is to recall much travelling.

It was in relation to voyages that you emerged as a popular Saint.

The Irish became great travelers thus spreading their faith everywhere.

Protect not only mariners but also all those who go down to the sea in ships. Amen.

Tomas had a foot in the scuppers and peered over the rail just to see his savior take a ball of hot steel in the chest. He wondered if Nate in fact, did not have influential friends and that they had boarded the wrong ship. "Señor, Señor . . ." Phonse called up to the Spaniard. Tomas waved his hand at his chubby man-at-arms as if to be quiet. He watched quietly as the crew grabbed the gunman and marched him below. Tomas straddled the rail and whispered down to Phonse, "I believe we may have our ship back."

"For art to exist, for any sort of aesthetic activity to exist, a certain physiological precondition is indispensable: intoxication."

-Friedrich Nietzsche

0000banner-accommodation.png

With Robert's restrained, and Nate obviously at death's door, I turned my attention to the Spaniards. They seemed as bewildered by events as the rest of us, but it left them in control of the sloop. I was not in a trusting mood.

"Goose, Colard, pull your pistols and keep a watch on our Spanish friends. If they try to escape, shoot one of them, to get their attention. Jimmy, climb to the fighting top and give Jacky a hail. If Nate is to survive at all, we need a doctor, or at least someone who knows more about gunshot wounds than we do."

Jimmy scooted up the rigging, quick as a squirrel up a tree. With hands cupped around his mouth, he yelled as loud as he could for the Relentless.

"Best hope they come soon, Ma'am," Colard said, "Or this lad will be going to visit with that Father he keeps talking to."

It was at that moment that I remembered Jacky's little vial of water. I looked up at Jimmy. "Yell louder, damn you. I need Jacky here NOW!."

RAKEHELL-1.jpg

You can do everything right, strictly according to procedure, on the ocean, and it'll still kill you. But if you're a good navigator, a least you'll know where you were when you died.......From The Ship Killer by Justin Scott.

Red Cat looked up at Ransom's wards.. then back t' Nate. "Nate..." she spake, desperate t' have things within her control. "We've still rum left lad..." as she spoke she begun t' unbutton his jacket seekin t' allow his lungs t' breathe should he start. She looked up squintin at th'' sky "Aye, father tha he speaks ta..I knowd we don't talk as regular as ye do wit' ol Nate here..but we could use 'im here still if ye kin spare th lad.."Not knowin wot else ta do she leant back a wee allowin more sun t' warm him "'e's cold.." she said in a soft voice t' no one imparticular shudderin as the wards left her lips.

Nate couldn't hear what Father was sayin wit all the other voices talkin an yellin around him. All of a sudden he took in a deep breath. "Hells bells, a body can't hear imself tink wit all o yous yammerin on!" Everybody around Nate froze. Nate opened his eyes and blinked at the bright sunlight in his face. Puttin up a hand so he could see who was where, Nate noticed Red Cat kneelin at his side. "Wot's th look on yer face for? Someone die?" Nate began ta sit up an as he did so the ships logbook fell outta his jacket an in the corner was a pistol ball. Nate looked at th book and felt all over his chest, grinned his wild grin at everyone as he poked a finger through the new hole in his jacket. "Guess dis means it ain't time fer me ta have a long talk wit da Father. . . ."

~Black Nate~

Brenpen185.jpg

Protect not only mariners but also all those who go down to the sea in ships. Amen.

Colard, a wide grin on his grizzled face, gently cuffed the lad on the shoulder. "Thought ye gone from us, lad. Ye had nae pulse, nae breath, but I guess that Father o' yours doesna want a crazy Irishman causin' trouble in His house just yet. Canna say as I blame him." He pointed to the ball stuck in the log book. "I'd take yon ball and make a good luck charm out o' it. Be easier than wearin' the book about your neck."

Then they to the tavern house

with meikle oly prance

One spoke with wordis wonder crouse

A done with mischance!

I would die where I would dine

In tavern to recline

Then would angels pray the glibber

God have mercy for this bibber.

Red Cat was stunned. She sat abruptly from her squattin position an jus stared..glanced up at th' sky an then back ta Nate..

Fer once..she were speechless

With exasperation, I called up to Jimmy, "Belay that order to call the Relentless. Seems we don't need a sawbones after all." Or Jacky's special water, I thought.

Jimmy scrambled down from above, and glanced toward the newly resurrected Nate. "He for real, Ma'am, or is he one of them phantoms that been a plague lately?"

I glanced at Nate. "Well, Jimmy, hard to say. A plague he is, but phantom, I'm not so sure. Just damned lucky, most likely."

Still, the rest of the crewe looked at Nate with suspicion, and I feared that this new development was not going to re-assure the crewe that these waters were safe. Jacky needed to conclude his business and move on, before we had to deal with mutiny on both our ships.

"Well, Goose, give the lad a shot of rum to get his blood moving again, then let's get about our business. Exactly what would that be, Nate?"

RAKEHELL-1.jpg

Nate leaned back against the rail and thought fer a time. Soon as Goose set a jar o rum in his hand, Nate drank half o it in one gulp. Lookin ta th capin made a face o concentration before speakin. "Yer wanten ta know wot my busness er plan be? Satyin happily alive fer firstly. . . . Er, kin I have a word wi Roberts there, Ma'am?" Nate picked himself off th deck and put a hand on Red Cats' should n gave a squeeze. "Salright Lass, Need ta figure alla dis out." Nate stood an waited fer th capin ta give orders ta bring Roberts ta bear, all the while rubbin his chest where the pistol ball could have lodged itself.

Edited by Black Nate

~Black Nate~

Brenpen185.jpg

Red Cat's eyes narrowed almost imperceptably, but she did little more 'n nod...oh they'd have a ward wi Roberts....his last. She'd see t' that r' nearly so. Any debt 'tween 'em from b'fore were settled now. 'Less th' almighty saw fit t' step in twicet in one day.

Phonse and Roberto had remained in Tomas' sloop. Tomas remained on the rail quite unsure of what to do. Decorum precluded that he should introduce himself, but the matter at hand seemed more pressing. He thought more than once to slide back down the side and hurry away in his boat, but knew he owed the irishman for removing he and his crew from that spit. He moved to adjust the pistols and cutlass at his side, but remembered they were gone. 'But there are more aboard', he thought to himself.

"For art to exist, for any sort of aesthetic activity to exist, a certain physiological precondition is indispensable: intoxication."

-Friedrich Nietzsche

0000banner-accommodation.png

I frowned at Nate. "What could you possibly have to say to Roberts, other than to curse the man to perdition? He meant to kill you! I've seen some strange goings on while in these waters, and I'm still not sure Roberts was in his right mind when he put that ball into your chest...or tried to. But until we are away from this place, Roberts stays in irons."

Nate seemed ready to argue the point, but I forestalled him. "No, you had best stay clear of the man, at least for now. Look around you. These men are jumpy as cats, and your miraculous recovery is not helping to settle their minds any. Now, take up your rum and lets go below, where we can talk in private."

I turned to Tunny, Colard and Jimmy. "Guard that sloop. Colard, if you have any of the Spanish, assure them they will be treated fairly, but if they try to escape, we will fire on them."

Colard nodded, then Nate, Red Cat and myself went below to my small cabin.

RAKEHELL-1.jpg

Nate followed the capin below wit th others. When th door ta the cabin were closed Nate spoke up. All I wanted ta say ta Roberts is no ard feelin's I did leave im bhind, an not in a nice way when I went off ta fine the Cat ere. Nate stood against th door an rubbed the bruise formin on his chest from the shot.

~Black Nate~

Brenpen185.jpg

Colard, with Jimmy and Tunny, stood at the rail, their pistols pointed at the Spaniards, who looked back at them with defiance well, except for one pudgy-looking hombre who looked a bit worried.

"Ye think they'll try and escape?" Jimmy asked.

"Not if they've half a brain amongst them," Tunny replied. "Pitiful looking lot, if ye ask me. Wonder how young Nate managed to outwit them? There's a good story, I'm thinkin'."

Moving closer to the man who seemed to be their leader, Colard spoke to him in the Spanish he'd picked up while trapped in Havana for three years, although it was heavily accented in Scot. "Excuse me, mate, but ye've nae need tae worry. Just keep yer manos where we can see them. La Capitana sez you'll be treated fair and square, so long as ye mind yer manners."

Then, with a grin, he began to hum, "Farewell and adieu you fine Spanish ladies, farewell and adieu you ladies of Spain..."

Edited by Colard Dysart

Then they to the tavern house

with meikle oly prance

One spoke with wordis wonder crouse

A done with mischance!

I would die where I would dine

In tavern to recline

Then would angels pray the glibber

God have mercy for this bibber.

"Wot is brewin' aboard that ship?" I heard myself, curse under my breath.

"One minute their signalin' us t' come along side, the next they're wavin' us off." I said incredulously, "Now they've got sailors wit' pistols, trained on those sailors in the sloop."

I lowered the spyglass, "I suppose we should be grateful Nate didn't try t' bring his troubles aboard our vessel."

Stones offered, "Unlikely that would o' happened sir, ye probably would o' shot him if he tried t' come aboard."

Edited by Jacky Tar

Once in my cabin, and with the door shut, I listened to Nate's comment, which I thought, under the circumstances, was rather charitable. "Hard feelings, or no hard feelings, what we have now is a volatile situation. We've had Cat and then you go missing, a man gone a bit crazy and attempting to kill, we got crewe members looking sideways at each other, "interesting" allies taking over a Spanish galleon, and now we have a boatload of Spanish prisoners to deal with. You can understand why I'm a bit on edge here."

I opened a small cabinet and took out a bottle of port and two glasses. I filled them both, then handed one to Red Cat, while I kept the other. Nate still drank from the mug of rum.

"So," I said, after a bracing swallow. "What have the two of you got in mind? I'm getting really tired of surprises, so I'd prefer to know what I can expect in future — at least with you two. With the commodore, it's a lost cause, but then," I smiled, "he feels the same way about me."

RAKEHELL-1.jpg

Cat did naught but huff and glare at th' image o' Roberts still fresh in her mind. She drained the glass and passed it back to the Captain. She warn't in th' mood fer talkin jes yet.

Nate weren't pleased that his want ta talk wit Roberts was denied, but then she were the capin. At her askin o wot plans were ta be had, Nate just slightly narrowed his eyes. "I do have some ideas. . . . Since as ye says yer crew be jumpy as long-tailed cats in a room full o rockin chairs, we make haste an sail outta these here waters. I hear there be fine tings up north round an island named Bermuda. Wot say I, er Red Cat n I take that sloop wit a handfull more crew, an we depart this here place if business is done. Wot sez ye?" Nate took another swig o his rum an waited fer wot any might have ta say. Nate cocked his head an looked up, grinned an refocused on those present, and again rubbed his chest. Pullin open his shirt, Nate saw the purple-blue bruise. "See, I be flesh n blood. Be happy ta show thems that ain't to sure if ye like, capin."

~Black Nate~

Brenpen185.jpg