The Pirate Hunter's Smarter Brother!

Inigo Montoya

Tomas and the men reached the docks soon after. They arrived at a sloop, unimpressed at its slack lines, tattered sails and rotting hull. Phonse looked at Roberto who placed his foot atop the railing. Tomas peered through the narrow slits his eyes had become. He knew Catalina would not have set him wrong, but was this the right ship? Roberto looked fore and aft for any signs of life. Phonse nervously looked around as someone should be about the dock in this midday.

"¿Oigo?" Tomas called. He cupped his hands to his mouth, and louder this time, "¿OIGO?".

"Men not you seek, but their foils," called a voice from the hold. "The Relentless and the Rakehell are upon them both."

Tomas furrowed his brow. He was immediately confused, bewildered, and a touch startled. El Guerrero at once stepped aboard the ship. "Show yourself," he commanded. He drew his sword at pointed it in the direction of the voice. Roberto drew his pistol, as did Phonse.

"Need here is naught for blade and powder," the voice spoke again, "that time draws nigh. Below you shall come."

Tomas looked to Phonse, who hook his head back and forth. A glance to Roberto did the same. Tomas replaced his sword and breathed out slowly. He looked down the dock and saw no one. Apprehensive, he stepped into the dark.

"For art to exist, for any sort of aesthetic activity to exist, a certain physiological precondition is indispensable: intoxication."

-Friedrich Nietzsche

0000banner-accommodation.png

• Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Whar!? whar?!!!" Cat scrambled up t' Nate's perch an shaded her eyes wit one hand. She stared hard in th' direction he pointed, but saw naught. She huffed, rubbed her eyes an looked agin. Nate handed her th' glass and Red Cat focused anew. "Bah! ....whar!?" she still saw nothin but the stretch of blue 'fore em. Nate gently pushed th glass a bit East as she held it. She stared hard agin not focusin in her urgency.

Then it appeared, only fer a moment.... dippin amonst th' dimples of blue. She turned t' Nate her brows raised. "At's 'em..gots ta be! look agin Nate. Not one... but two!" the grin returned.

Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help....

Her reputation was her livelihood.

I'm a pirate, love. By nature and by choice!

My inner voice sometimes has an accent!

My wont? A delicious rip in time...

I slammed the lid o' the chest shut, sat on it, an quipped, "Who said anything 'bout sharin' it?" I shook my head, "Nay, this were brought up out o' these very waters, on our last voyage." I assured her, "Wot ever we recover this time, we'll share wit' the crew o' the Rakehell."

I stood up, an deftly locked the chest, "So don't hold yer breath, waitin' fer gold, til' we're divin' on one o' those wrecks."

Ramblin' on, "As fer watchin' someone's back, I've seen yers twice. Once, when ye left us in Havana, an later when ye left us t' face the galleon in that bay." I softened me voice, "Noble intent, or self preservation, will not save the day here. Neither ship can face a Spanish war ship alone, we'd be out gunned. One is out there, still huntin' us. If we run, we run together. If we fight, we fight together, an I don't mean each other!"

I held a finger up, t' say let me finish, "Since, this trip began I've been mutinied on, shot, marooned, chased by amazons, accused o' smugglin' jewels, an had the misfortune o' firing on a Spanish galleon wit' out my consent!" I concluded, "Wot ever you think ye know 'bout me, an my ill fated quest, please take note. I intend t' recover more gold from these waters, trade some o' that gold t' refill those bottles, then follow a map, which I believe will lead us t' the source o' that water."

Edited by Jacky Tar

I was silent for a long time, thinking over what he'd said. I supposed, from his point of view, I had turned my back on him, even if once was because I couldn't have helped him with a big hole in the Rakehell's hull. She would have sunk and been no help to anyone but Davey Jones. As far as Havana went, he'd been in no real danger, having dealt with the head honchos there before. And yes, my diversion had been a noble idea that failed miserably. So, in order to regain my status in Jacky's eyes, he expected me to help defend him and his crew, as well as mine own, to the death of myself or the destruction of my ship, should that become necessary.

I gestured at the chest of bottles. "Maybe you better tell me why this water is worth paying such a high price."

...schooners, islands, and maroons

and buccaneers and buried gold...

RAKEHELL-1.jpg

You can do everything right, strictly according to procedure, on the ocean, and it'll still kill you. But if you're a good navigator, a least you'll know where you were when you died.......From The Ship Killer by Justin Scott.

"Well, that's just maddeningly unhelpful."....Captain Jack Sparrow

Found in the Ruins — Unique Jewelry

Found in the Ruins — Personal Blog

I laughed, "Where t' begin?" I took off me justacorps, laid it across the chest, an pulled open my shirt. "See, this entry wound?" I said, pointin' t' a barely visible scar on me shoulder."

Ransom held up the lantern t' get a better look.

"I did mention the mutineers shot me, didn't I? I treated the wound wit' the water from one o' those bottles." I studied Ransom's face fer her reaction, "If the salt water hadn't mixed wit' it, I believe there'd be no scar at all!"

As I redressed, I asked, "Wot price would ye pay for water like that, if ye needed it?"

Edited by Jacky Tar

"By your tone, should I believe this water will cure any wound, no matter what its severity? If that is true, then the water is worth much more than the gold."

I pondered a minute, thinking back to Red Cat's quick recovery from a wound that should have taken days, if not weeks to heal. Then an ugly thought crept into my mind, and my expression hardened.

"Spoons knows about this, doesn't he? That's why he took your ship, and that's why he's dogging our every move. He wants the water and the map. So, my next question is, do the Spaniards who are helping him also know about this chest, the map, and what the water can do? For if they do, Jacky, and we get caught here by the galleon, assuming it's only one, no little bottle of water is going to save us."

Scrubbing a hand over my face, I thought over all the parameters of our situation. Then, slowly, a long-missed tingling of excitement raced through my blood. I dropped my hand and gave Jacky a smile. "I believe, Commodore, that in this situation, haste is called for, wouldn't you agree?"

RAKEHELL-1.jpg

You can do everything right, strictly according to procedure, on the ocean, and it'll still kill you. But if you're a good navigator, a least you'll know where you were when you died.......From The Ship Killer by Justin Scott.

Nate nearly jumped out of the rig to the deck. Humming a tune as he ran around the small deck, Nate trimmed the lines and took up th tiller, changed course for to intercept the ships sighted, trimmed the sheets and lines again. "Oh, Aye Father, We tank ya muchly, we do! We be off ta rejoin wit our ship n crew mates! Not ta worry now! Come down from there Cat! No needs ta hang about! I've a fine bottle ta share wit ya down ere!" Nate grinned his wild grin and sang out loud. "Fair well an adieu to ya fair Spanish Ladies, Fair well an adieu to ya Ladies of Spain!" Nate fished around and hooked his foot on the tiller line, bent over and grabbed up the bottle he were talkin about and yanked the cork out wit his teeth. Holding it up fer Red cat ta see Nate continued his singin.

~Black Nate~

Brenpen185.jpg

A ship in a puddle is better than no ship at all

Dear Saint Brendan, to mention your name is to recall much travelling.

It was in relation to voyages that you emerged as a popular Saint.

The Irish became great travelers thus spreading their faith everywhere.

Protect not only mariners but also all those who go down to the sea in ships. Amen.

While the conference between captains was going on, Tunny had been instructed to stay in the shrouds and keep watch. So it was he who spotted the sails on the horizon and shouted out the alarm.

"Ahoy the deck, sail off the larboard stern! Alert the captains we got company comin'."

RAKEHELL-1.jpg

Tomas quickly grabbed his kerchief as the smell hit him. He nearly vomited as he reached below deck. Several lanterns were lit, but cast shadows against nothing. He could hear movement but saw nothing. An eerie chatter followed his footsteps. Tomas slowly reached for his dagger.

"We are not here to harm," spoke the voice again. 'We?', Tomas said to himself. "The parchment you have found, it shall show you the way hence." Tomas heard a groan from behind he voice. A lantern, removed from the wall was sat on a barrel in front of him. A face suddenly appeared in the shaded light. Tomas gasped. Several other faces began to emerge from the dark. Hollow sockets where eyes should be peered at him. El Guerrero took a slight step backwards. He caught the overhanging beam as he nearly fell over a burlap sack.

Phonse and Roberto heard the commotion and took several steps down the stairs. Tomas looked at his men. Roberto saw the faces, shrieked and ran atop, catching his forehead and knocking himself to the deck. Phonse followed and tripped over Roberto and soon found himself in the same spot.

Tomas suddenly felt movement below his feet. He drew his sword and pointed it at the man he assumed to be Captain. "Me quedaré donde estoy." A deep guttural laugh came from those behind the Captain. "Señor Guerrero," said the Captain softly, "the wreck you seek, we know of its whereabouts." Tomas lowered his sword. A chair was pushed gently to behind Tomas' legs. "Please, sit". Tomas was now hesitant to discuss any more.

"Señor Guerrero, it is our ship you seek."

Edited by Tomas Guerrero

"For art to exist, for any sort of aesthetic activity to exist, a certain physiological precondition is indispensable: intoxication."

-Friedrich Nietzsche

Red Cat had mostly ignored Nate's commotion b'low holdin on as th' Sloop swayed an bobbed under his commmand. She continued t' watch th shapes in th' distance strainin fer any thing more familiar an hopin not t' see smoke r' fire.

When Nate begun t' sing she started t' chuckle an looked down t' see him waggin a bottle wit his mad grin surroundin it's cork. She laughed agin an dropped mostly t' th deck wit a thump. Bowing dramatically she answered.

"Aye Nate sah..gracious o' ye t' make such an offer"

At the sound of Tunny's shout, Colard turned to look at the western horizon. From the deck of the Relentless, he could see nothing but a faint blur of white sail, but even so, a knot formed in the pit of his stomach.

On board the Rakehell more shouting was heard, this time from the deep voice of her quartermaster, "What flag dey fly?"

Tunny peered again, then called down, "Can't see any. Peers ta be a sloop though, not a galleon."

At Colard's side, Jimmy nervously asked , "You think them bloody Spaniards founds us?"

"Canna say, Lad, but let's hope the captain's confab be over soon, beings as how any uninvited guest in these waters probably means trouble, and I'd feel a damned site better in mae bones if I was on board the Rakehell, where I hae friends about me, rather than this lot with their black looks." He gestured to the Relentless crew.

Before Colard could stop him, Jimmy strided to the hatchway and yelled, "Ma'am, you'd better come quick. There's a sloop sailin' up on us."

Then they to the tavern house

with meikle oly prance

One spoke with wordis wonder crouse

A done with mischance!

I would die where I would dine

In tavern to recline

Then would angels pray the glibber

God have mercy for this bibber.

I smiles at the young fella, Jimmy, an says, "Excuse me lad, I best go below an apprise the cap'ns 'bout the situation."

After climbin' down in t' the hatch, I reached the hold, an almost run in t' Mister Tar, "Sorry, sire." I says, an attempted t' knuckle me forehead, "We hav a sloop fast approachin' us from the East. She flys no colors, but we reckon she's Spanish."

Mister Tar an the captain o' the Rakehell rushed past me, t' get topside.

Edited by Smithe

I stepped on deck, wit' a very lively Ransom close behind, t' the relief o' the other crew members o' the Rakehell.

I turned t' Ransom, t' remark, "Ye best return t' yer ship, an rejoin yer crew. If they're Spanish, they may try t' warn us off; after all, these waters belong t' the Spanish, or so they say!"

I looked out across the horizon. "If it is just a sloop, I may warn them off!"

Colard, Jimmy and I scrambled down the Jacobs ladder and into our jolly boat. I could see that Africa already had the Rakehell ready for battle, should it come to one.

Once back on board, I took the glass from Africa and looked to where our new visitors were approaching. Yes, it was a sloop, flying no flag.

"Man the guns, lads. But no firing until I give the word. This might just be a Spanish social call, to tell us to bugger off."

"Shouldn't we up anchor, Ma'am?" Jimmy asked.

"No time, Jimmy!" I barked. "Now get to your post!"

I stood at the rail, watching the sloop come closer and closer. Well, Jacky, I thought, seems we get to make our stand a bit sooner than anticipated. Then I laughed, and said to myself, "Hell, girl, if the Rakehell and the Relentless, even at anchor, can't blow a little sloop out of the water, then we don't deserve any treasure, let alone magic water!"

RAKEHELL-1.jpg

Nate an Red Cat were handin th bottle back n forth while the sailed closer and closer to the two ships. It were only one bottle, but it were a big one and it was good rum, very very good rum. As they closed the distance, Nate took up th spyglass an focused as best he could on the ships ahead. There was some commotion aboard em both and through the rum soaked haze he wondered if the fuss were about them. "Cat. . . . They be scurryin about th deck like maids in a tizzy. . . . Think they's lookin ta give us a welcome o sorts? Like wot capin Ransom done ta us back in th swamp?" Red Cat's grin faded some and she looked atop th mast. They had no flag flyin and didn't know wot was aboard that they could fly. "Huh, I dunno Nate, I s'pose we should do summin ta let 'em know tis us." Nate looked atop the mast where she were lookin and his wild grin grew. "Aye, I gonna take care o that Lass, not ta worry, jus keep us on course luv!" Nate leapt forward and into the rigging, swaying to and fro as he climbed to the top o th mast, found his footing on the top gaff o th main sail and looked around the sea surroundin them. Only ships in sight were those ahead, who he knew were the ships they were searchin fer. Takin his hat in hand he began ta sing and wave it about. It were some irish jig o sorts and he swayed and bobbed as he sung.

Edited by Black Nate

~Black Nate~

Brenpen185.jpg

Protect not only mariners but also all those who go down to the sea in ships. Amen.

I used a spyglass, t' get a better look at the approachin' vessel, an remarked, "There's no doubt the sloop is Spanish, but the crew is a different matter. I believe the sailor above the main is dancin', an wavin!" I lowered the glass, an turned t' give the orders t' fire a warnin' shot.

A single blast, followed by billowin' smoke, sent a cannon ball into the path o' the oncoming sloop.

Nate were singin away when he saw a billow o smoke come from the larger ship. His eyes went wide an Nate stopped singin as the thunder of the gun followed. "Cat!!!! Round up! Haul wind! Th commodore be tryin ta sink us! Jaysus, Marry, an Joseph, Lay off th wind!" Red Cat shoved the tiller hard to starboard, and the swift change nearly sent Nate off th mast an into th sea. Th shot fired whistled and splashed not twenty feet from their ship. Th sloop slowed as the sails flogged and Nate scrambled down to the deck and aft. "Bloody commodore gots a funny way a welcomin us. Ye'd tink we were a man-o-war bristlin wit guns an marines!" Nate glared at the two ships as they slowly sailed out of range of th guns. Nate picked the rum up and took a long swallow. "Now wot ye tink we might do? I say we jus keep outta range til they get some sense in their heads, wot's I tink." Nate took another swallow o rum an offered th bottle back ta Red Cat as she looked none too pleased wit the ships wot had just fired upon em.

~Black Nate~

Brenpen185.jpg

Just as the Relentless fired her warning shot, I got a good look through the glass at the man hanging from the mast of the sloop. "Bloody idiot," I muttered. "Serves you right. Couldn't run up a flag of truce or some such. No, you have to hang off the mast like some drunken monkey, thinking we'll know what it's about."

Crossing the deck, I shouted over at Jacky. "Lay off your guns for a bit. It's that fool of an Irishman hanging off the mast. But if it's a trap, and the Spanish have him, I'll help you blow the sloop into splinters."

The sloop quickly came off the wind, and stood out of range. "Come on, Nate," I said to myself. "Do something smart for a change, before you become food for the sharks."

RAKEHELL-1.jpg

Tomas sipped from the bottle before him warily. Groans and murmurs accompanied the creaks of the ship underway. A loud <snap> from the sails filling instantly was heard atop the deck. "Your map, Señor," said the man he assumed to be captain, "is not correct." Tomas clutched at the parchment folded and tucked into his pocket. The men behind the shadows laughed. "Several leagues we were from there when we went down." El Guerrero had many questions. He pulled again from the bottle. Tomas felt the ship gaining speed. Phonse and Roberto were dragged onto the berth deck by their collars, still unconscious. "How, why, what, were you doing aboard El Altañero when she wrecked?" The story of the wreck reaching Tomas' ears told him nothing of a British crew. The captain and his men begin to explain to Tomas how a largely British crew found themselves aboard a Spanish Galleon several months earlier.

-Friedrich Nietzsche

There were no tirade ta be had this time...Red cat wiped her hands on her breeches an agreed wit Nate. "Aye...I say we lay slack" she paused t' take a slow breath o' exasperation and released it jus as slowly.. "an lay armed"

She took her hat off an ran a hand through her hair "Ye'd think THEY be a man o' war firin everywhar afore they know wot...or how many wot's 'r upon em." Nate huffed in agreement. Cat replaced her hat an looked arount fer th' bottle, for they'd not finished it to her last rememberance hazy as it may be. "I don't wish t' be near enough t' be blasted outta neptunes graces by wotever they draw firin guns like 'at." Having located the bottle, she took a goodly swig wipin her mouth wit a sleeve an handed it ta Nate.

" I aint happy wit our own odds, it'll be a mighty tight squeeze 'tween them an wot may be aft. B'lieve ye we should run up a signal o sorts ....erhm aside from yer own breeches Mr. Durant? I'd dislike t' see ye shot fulla grape"

Nate stared hard at the ships fer a short time thinkin about wot Red Cat had said. Lookin down Nate realized he had th rum bottle in his hand again, so took a pull on it. "Wall. . . . Only flag we gots aboard that I found were that there Spanish one. I don't tink th reception will get better if we do that. M other shirt's blue, no good. I ain't wantin me slops fulla grape neither, but they's th whitest cloth aboard, unless we cut up a spare sail n bend it ta th lanyard. I do gots spare slops ta wear, ragged as can be, but I'll fix em up when I can. Heh, an if they do blast m good ones fulla grape, I'll be fixin em up too!" Nate began to chuckle, and the chuckle turned into a laugh until he couldn't breathe.

~Black Nate~

Brenpen185.jpg

I looked through the glass again, trying to make out who else was on the sloop. There was movement on board, then someone running up an ensign of some kind. I squinted my eye and looked harder.

"Oh bloody hell!" I let out a burst of laughter.

Beside me I heard Tunny ask Africa, "She's laughin'. Is that a good sign or a bad sign?"

I turned to Tunny. "You know of any Spaniards that would allow their slops to be hoisted up the rigging as a sign of truce?"

He shook his head.

"Me either. I therefore surmise the sloop is of no immediate danger to us, other than it is returning to our bosom one lunatic Irishman. Hopefully he'll have a cat on board as well, who has used up way too many of her nine lives."

Tunny nodded again, but looked totally confused.

RAKEHELL-1.jpg

Everyone aboard laughed, an pointed at the choice o' the flag o' truce, flyin' from the main o' the sloop. "Lord help us, now that fool is pantless!" I remarked.

A shout rang out, from the crows nest, as a galleon heave in t' view.

"Haul up the anchor, an signal the Rakehell, we need t' put out t' sea." I shouted, "Smithe, signal the sloop t' follow!"

My good humor died when I saw the sails of the galleon. "Jesus, Mary and Joseph," I snapped, then turned to Africa. "Get the anchor up, NOW!"

With his keen eyes, Africa had also seen the new sails on the horizon, and needed no prodding by me. His deep voice boomed out over the deck, "Colard, Ludo, Jimmy, get to da capstan. Dis ship leavin' an I'll skin da hide from any man dat not gettin' her movin'."

Jimmy, Goose and I unfurled canvas as the anchor slowly, every so slowly, was pulled from the bottom.

RAKEHELL-1.jpg