• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

*sigh* i dont want to clean out my car

But why is the rum gone?

Save a horse ride a cowboy!

Take me away and take me farther, suround me now and hold me like holy

My toes are getting pruney

Also my head is round that window is square....

My name is Micheal J Kabous and i eat babies!

Your toast has been burned and no amount of scraping will remove the black stuff

*sigh* i dont want to clean out my car

I wouldn't. I heard there are Rabid Wolf Spiders in there. (They bite, although it's not poisinous.)

Mycroft: "My brother has the brain of a scientist or a philosopher, yet he elects to be a detective. What might we deduce about his heart?"

John: "I don't know."

Mycroft: "Neither do I. But initially he wanted to be a pirate."

Mission_banner5.JPG

Inane is a cool word. Plus it sounds like insane which makes it doubly delightful.

:angry:

Words... lots of cool words that hardly ever get used... I was always fond of the desk calendars with a word a day.

Complimentary or complementary? (Or both?)

Both!

If the email is work-problem-related or spam, then I go blank. Or get irritated.

There are one or two people who I'm good with wrt returning email. That's about it.

You must tell me when something interesting is going on out your way, John.

Righto. I'll warn you, I suck when it comes to organizing events. I'm great with coming up for ideas for events, but the follow through... not good. The only event I know for sure we have on the horizon is a 4th of July event next year in DE with the Kalmar Nyckel. Remind me to get cracking on other events. We've got all these pirates, with all this cool stuff, and no where to play. :D

My Home on the Web

The Pirate Brethren Gallery

Dreams are the glue that holds reality together.

I'll warn you, I suck when it comes to organizing events.  I'm great with coming up for ideas for events, but the follow through... not good.

Yes. We had that discussion previously. :angry:

You're in charge of your local band of pirates? I thought you re-enactment folks had huge wars or events or something where you all gathered and drank grog, caroused and whatnot.

Mycroft: "My brother has the brain of a scientist or a philosopher, yet he elects to be a detective. What might we deduce about his heart?"

Mission_banner5.JPG

You're in charge of your local band of pirates? I thought you folks had huge wars or events or something where you all gathered and drank grog and whatnot. :angry:

I'm in charge of a group called the Pirate Brethren, many of whom are not what I would call local. We are spread out through Virginia, Maryland, Delaware, Pennsylvania and New Jersey. On paper, we could potentially be 30 or 40 strong, maybe more. In the field, we are lucky if we see half a dozen. There are many pirates whom I would call local, but they are neither "mine" nor are the strictly re-enactors/living historians.

I'm also a husband and a father of two (a 4 year old, and a 1 364/365th year old). Balancing the these, and having alone time, and time for all the other things I want to do (like gaming!), not even mentioning the things that I need to do, is quite a trick.

With that in mind, there are huge events in these parts. But not historically accurate Golden Age of Piracy huge events. There are "timeline" events, and WWII events, and RevWar events, and F&I events, and so on. Maybe I'll be able to change that some day, because there are plenty of historically accurate late-17th early-18th century re-enacting groups in the area. But it is an uphill battle. One of the problems we face is proving to the other groups that we are serious re-enactors, because everyone knows no one who re-enacts pirates does so authentically.

At least, that's my take on it. Others may see things differently. And if anyone out there in the VA/MD/PA/NJ/DE area wants to be my "Cruise Director" and organize some events, I'd be more than glad to have you!

My Home on the Web

Words... lots of cool words that hardly ever get used... I was always fond of the desk calendars with a word a day.

If I may recommend something to anyone who interested in enlarging their vocabulary:

Word a Day

It's a daily email that contains a word, it's definition, some etymology and a quote. I actually find most of my new words from the periodicals I read, but I really enjoy the quotes in Anu's missives. I've been getting this for six or seven years and have really built up my quote file using it.

Plus, they are one of more respectful free email services I use. There are ads embedded in the email, but they're not too obtrusive. I highly recommend it

I recently met a fellow trainer who recommends this service in his trainings. He makes it a point to use the word he receives at least once in conversation each day. (Being a professional trainer, he gets plenty of opportunities.)

Mission_banner5.JPG

The only event I know for sure we have on the horizon is a 4th of July event next year in DE with the Kalmar Nyckel.

Where in Delaware?

I'm pretty sure Wilmington. I'll double check. In fact, now that I think about it, I believe we were invited to come up there next weekend to do something, but it conflicted with other things.

An old re-enacting friend of mine, someone who was a founding member of the Pirate Brethren, is now on the Board of Directors or Head of the board of directors or something like that for the KN. He's a cool guy, and I'm crossing my fingers that we can do more with them next year.

My Home on the Web

"We must build an atomic blaster!"

:lol::lol:

Mission_banner5.JPG

[Note: Moved from the LOST topic into this one based on Blackjohn's actions. Love, Mission, your moderator who is learning new tricks all the time.]

Terry is a sweet man anyway and has never been spoiled or full of himself

That's cool. I've always thought he was a... cool looking person. I kept wondering where I had seen him, and it dawned on me, he played Howard Hughes in The Rocketeer!

(Was that a Disney film too? I believe so. I watched the very beginning of that with son #1 on my lap the other day, saying, "Brent, do you remember daddy's favorite plane? You are going to see it here in a second!")

gbani2.gif

The GB? The GeeBee Racer is your favorite plane? I don't even know what to say. :huh: (so I'll use an ambiguous smilie instead)

Mission's favorite plane:

SNOOPY.jpg

Mission_banner5.JPG

Duchess wrote:

The GB? The GeeBee Racer is your favorite plane? I don't even know what to say.  (so I'll use an ambiguous smilie instead)

Yep. But it has to be the yellow and black version. :)

gbani2.gif

I have a couple other favorites too (XB-70 comes to mind). But that particular plane has always been a fav. Fwiw, I wanted to be a fighter pilot and/or astronaut when I was a kid. Colorblindness... oh well. But hey, maybe I can spark that in son #1, and he can be the first man to go back to the Moon. *sigh* Remember that? We used to be able to go to the Moon!!! When did we take that left turn at Albuquerque???

My Home on the Web

"We must build an atomic blaster!"

:huh::huh:

Anyone ever play the Mars Attacks! pinball game? (Besides me.)

Mission_banner5.JPG

Mission's favorite plane:

SNOOPY.jpg

Very high on my list, top 10, except for this time of the year, when for some reason it creeps up towards #1. :huh:

Do you remember the Snoopy doll they made in the Apollo outfit? The one with the black cap and the big fishbowl helmet? That was cool!

My Home on the Web

There was an 18" a Mini-Me in spaceflight/fishbowl togs. (I personally have the 18" Mao-suited version.)

Interesting, when you merge topics, the topic adopts the name of the thread you start with. I must remember to this backwards next time.

Mission_banner5.JPG

know what i always wanted? a mister bigglesworth doll. for some odd reason, i need one.

back to snoopy. i found an old one (was my dads, i think) while cleaning my great-grandpa and great-grandmas house. just the doghouse, snoopy is somewhere, just havent found him yet.

There was a truly hideous (in a bad way) stuffed Mr. Bigglesworth. I don't recommend seeking it out.

Mission_banner5.JPG

I love the smell of new tires. It reminds me of nothing whatsoever. Except maybe tires.

I was talking to a girl in a tire store once and she told me that after awhile, it gives you a headache. Another fantasy shot...

Mission_banner5.JPG

its slightly worse to see one in the parking lot of a suburban middle school or high school. has happened more times than necessary. and one of those drug sniffing dogs tore open someones locker because there was a POP TART in it. seriously ripped this kids stuff to bits. they gave him stickers to make up for it.