Random Topics

Patrick Hand

If blackjohn and I are involved in a thread, it's apt to devolve into philosophy. B)B)

BTW, this is the greatest thread ever invented. You're never off topic, even when it turns into a chat thread. Thanks, Patrick!

Mycroft: "My brother has the brain of a scientist or a philosopher, yet he elects to be a detective. What might we deduce about his heart?"

John: "I don't know."

Mycroft: "Neither do I. But initially he wanted to be a pirate."

Mission_banner5.JPG

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

my school has gotten a little bit cooler because they authorized my friend's cartoon club! we get to watch any cartoon from steamboat willie all the way to the latest episode of family guy, and we draw our own and animate stuff, its cool. and there might be an entire night coming up devoted to warner brothers (but not next meeting, that one is going to be Ahhhh, Real Monsters and Rugrats nite.) we get to watch anything we want! all those cartoons people forgot about... like snagglepus and superchicken and sailor moon and other stuff....

Have you ever stopped to consider how much of what you know is based on lies or false assumptions? :lol:

No.

"It's not possible!"

"Not...probable."

Mycroft: "My brother has the brain of a scientist or a philosopher, yet he elects to be a detective. What might we deduce about his heart?"

Mission_banner5.JPG

Oh my friend, yes it is. And ya know what, it didn't really hit me until I saw it happening to my kids. People nonchalantly lie to them about... all kinds of things. Death and taxes and boo-boos and a thousand other things (I'm probably exaggerating). You'd think you'd want to give someone a nice solid foundation upon which to build instead of filling their minds with lies...

My Home on the Web

The Pirate Brethren Gallery

Dreams are the glue that holds reality together.

my school has gotten a little bit cooler because they authorized my friend's cartoon club! we get to watch any cartoon from steamboat willie all the way to the latest episode of family guy, and we draw our own and animate stuff, its cool.

That is pretty cool. My school was cool because I fell in with a bunch of guys that ran the stage. We had our own room/s. Our own fridge. And a set of master keys for the school. We had some wild times, in a geeky sort of way. One of the most memorable was when this dude accidently cut the freon line on the fridge right after the "Miss Dundalk Senior High Pageant." Freon came blasting out of the cut tube, filling the stage crew room and the backstage area. He and I talked like Donald Duck for an hour or so afterward.

My Home on the Web

In college I got involved in (and then had to find a way to start running) the college engineering magazine. We got our own computer and office just outside the engineering school vending machine lobby. (Microwave popcorn anyone?) The room had a giant glass front facing the lobby, but we had curtain.

My pal Santiago and I became co-editors when I was co-oping and we would sit in the office 'till all hours, occasionally drink illicit alcohol (he JD, I scotch) and always talk about philosophy, life, cartoons and movies. Sometimes we would even edit and write stuff for the magazine.

Things haven't changed a whole lot, have they?

I only lie to kids when it's funny. I tell my nephew that he's going to turn into a turtle when he turns 5 or 6 or whatever to see what he does. (He often gets frustrated and hits me. I deserve it.) It was more fun before he began to understand sarcasm.

Mission_banner5.JPG

I have some illicit alcohol. Of course, I can't drink it until 1/1/2006.

Speaking of illicit, who here do you think is most likely the FBI's undercover agent assigned to keep an eye on us? :lol: It's not me (I reverse engineer UF... I mean, I'm a nautical cartographer!!!) and it's not you, so whoooo could it beeeee??? :lol:

I have real problems lying. Well, except for the "by omission" types. Joking I consider to be a horse of a different color.

My Home on the Web

Actually, I'm just a program running on a computer at Langley. I have been designed using an artificial intelligence algorithm that varies it's responses basic on a random number generation program that evaluates initial conditions and responds in kind. How am I doing so far?

Mission_banner5.JPG

Varies based on initial conditions, baby! One of the components of the definition of a chaotic system.

Mission_banner5.JPG

God that's funny! I just wandered off to go and comment on how much I liked this new avatar in the avatar thread! Freaky. Mystical. Stupid. :lol:

Mission_banner5.JPG

Freaky. Mystical. Stupid. :lol:

Welcome to my world. It used to bother me. Now I just chalk it all up to random freaky stupidness. :lol:

Btw, this is twice in one day. Earlier, when I wrote something about my brain rupturing, at just about the same time Rogue Mermaid was replying to my Lost thread with "I LOVE LOST!!! And yet it irks me so.... Please, oh please, great writers of that which is Lost...answer some questions before you give us any new ones. My poor head is going to explode." What's even more amusing, I had started to type explode, and changed it at the last minute to rupture.

Another explanation is, I'm a program similar to you, running from an NSA complex at Fort Meade.

My Home on the Web

So we're duelling programs? :lol::lol: Will this escalate? Hmm. (This train of thought is still boarding at the station...)

I was just reviewing the inanity that is this thread of discussion so far. Somehow I completely missed your suggestion about the chat room. You know, I've never used a chat room or a IM system. I like things that are a matter of record for some reason. (Creaky old Gen-Xer that I am... ;) ) In fact, I usually prefer email to forums when something is important to me.

Mission_banner5.JPG

So we're duelling programs? :unsure::rolleyes: Will this escalate? Hmm. (This train of thought is still boarding at the station...)

I was just reviewing the inanity that is this thread of discussion so far. Somehow I completely missed your suggestion about the chat room. You know, I've never used a chat room or a IM system. I like things that are a matter of record for some reason. (Creaky old Gen-Xer that I am... :lol: ) In fact, I usually prefer email to forums when something is important to me.

Oh heaven's no! More complimentary. Or maybe riciprocating?

Inane. I like the way that sounds. :D;) And as for chat, I'm not much of a chat-er either, but sometimes I find it cool to chat with someone I've only communicated with via email or on a forum. And then there is email... 15 years ago, it was the greatest thing since sliced bread. Seven years ago, it was getting to be a bit of a chore. Today, I'm burned out. I look at my email and just go blank.

My Home on the Web

Inane is a cool word. Plus it sounds like insane which makes it doubly delightful.

Complimentary or complementary? (Or both?)

If the email is work-problem-related or spam, then I go blank. Or get irritated.

Someday, I'm going to see a real pirate re-enacting gig. I may even wear my Pinky Suavo black pirate shirt, although that seems like it would require a certain amount of chutzpah (to me). Introvert. :unsure: You must tell me when something interesting is going on out your way, John.

"T.H.E.Y stands for 'The Horde of Ecumenical Yodelers.'"

"RECOLA!"

"No Pinky, they don't actually yodel!"

"Well, why are "T.H.E.Y." called yoddlers if "T.H.E.Y." don't yodel?"

"All government organizations like that have silly, nonsensical names that have nothing to do with their real purpose."

"Like the Senate Ethics Committee?"

--From the episode of Pinky and the Brain featuring Pinky Suavo

Mission_banner5.JPG

I only lie to kids when it's funny. I tell my nephew that he's going to turn into a turtle when he turns 5 or 6 or whatever to see what he does. (He often gets frustrated and hits me. I deserve it.) It was more fun before he began to understand sarcasm.

When they were little I told my cousins that if they were bad Santa would only bring them socks and if they were just a little bad they'd only get a few pairs. I made up this whole long sob story about the year I was REALLY bad and all I got was socks. The kids were pretty worried. My aunt didn't appreicate it :rolleyes:

Now that the kids are 10 and 12 they've passed the story onto my 4 yr old neice. :unsure::lol:

No, can't say that I have. Is it funny? Their twisted songs usually are. Didn't they once have Talk a Walk Down Dundalk sung to the turn of Lou Reed's classic?

"And the Turners' Station girls go doo do doo do doo do do doo"

My Home on the Web